• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
qjdihncmy9w21.jpg
D6l8fu1.gif

Oct 25, 2017

I'm interested in what other people here think.

They are salty as f*ck because a dude who describes himself as anti-intellectual is crushing Jeopardy. They focus on his strategy and buzzer ability while not once mentioning that the dude knows his shit. Someone on Reddit compared his stats to Jennings and I'm pretty sure his knowledge matched up pretty closely. Where he pulls away and sets all these records, of course, is by targeting big money, getting DDs and betting big. Yet somehow these two dudes ignore that the strategy is worthless and even unnecessarily dangerous if you don't know your shit. But he does.

I love this.

And he's unfollowing other champions as he passes them? Goddamn

How far in advance do episodes tape? Is it possible that he's already recorded some episodes post-teachers?

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, his wagering is aggressive and one reason for his big winnings. He's also super quick with the buzzer. More importantly the guy knows his trivia. He rarely gets questions incorrect. I think he's only missed a couple final jeopardy answers. It's also impressive when you think about how many shows they tape in a day. I believe they tape 4-5 episodes per day.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This is such an aggravatingly weak take. This guy didn't invent the concept of fishing for Daily Doubles, he obviously didn't invent the concept of the fast buzzer. Everyone knows that the buzzer is a key component of winning at the show... Did people really think Watson was that much smarter than Jennings and Rutter? From their perspective, Jeopardy as a show has always been "ruined" because those were always the dominant strategy in winning. The returning champion is always going to have the advantage in the experience with the buzzer.

What they're essentially whining about is that James is good. That's it. He didn't break anything, all of their complaints are with the design of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I like how they glossed over how insanely smart James is and kept hammering the gambling aspect. If he didn't get so many questions right he wouldn't have made it far at all.

Yup, his high wager strat immediately falls apart if he isnt on prodigy levels.

I find someone who has "solved" a trivia game like jeopardy to be truly impressive, and entertaining.

The second these champs show arrogance or confidence they get a bunch of people turned against em. Chu too.

Oct 27, 2017
This is such an aggravatingly weak take. This guy didn't invent the concept of fishing for Daily Doubles, he obviously didn't invent the concept of the fast buzzer. Everyone knows that the buzzer is a key component of winning at the show... Did people really think Watson was that much smarter than Jennings and Rutter? From their perspective, Jeopardy as a show has always been "ruined" because those were always the dominant strategy in winning. The returning champion is always going to have the advantage in the experience with the buzzer.

What they're essentially whining about is that James is good. That's it. He didn't break anything, all of their complaints are with the design of the game.

And wheel of fortune is a much more luck based game, which greatly lowers the skill ceiling to even be on the show (he talked about it, these are not average people on jeopardy, and never have been. They are highly screened and tested.)

Not familiar with jokers wild, but I would guess its also more luck based (easy statement to make, since jeopardy is like 0% luck.)

Oct 25, 2017
For any baseball fans on here, the most recent Effectively Wild podcast episode had James on it. Apparently the way he gains trivia knowledge is by reading all sorts of nonfiction kids books at the library apparently because they give introductions to topics with more fun facts rather than do in-depth analyses.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
They have taped episodes to the point that he would be at 62 wins if he has won out. People on those last 10 games would have seen him win his first couple games prior to taping against him. So basically his entire 62 game run would be already taped and in the can right around the time he appeared.

They resume taping with the start of the next season in July.

There's a few rumors out there about the last taping day, but Jeopardy audiences are usually good about not spoiling stuff

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Has scrubquotes.txt quoted the video yet?

I don't understand their complaints. People make Jeopardy out to be some great intellectual pursuit but it isn't a PhD examination, it's a fucking trivia contest. People act like this is ruining the sanctity of the sport like baseball's been ruined by the stat fiends, but, like, did we all just collectively hallucinate the Barry Bonds era then?

Nonetheless, leave it to CNN to wave away the idea that actually knowing information is particularly useful or beneficial. Feels very much in-character with their approach to delivering the news.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
How is there no way to watch current episodes of jeopardy on demand...in this era? or am I just missing something

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Jeopardy began full DMCA takedowns right before James started (likely because of that). So the J! Reddit no longer links to them
There was a guy who used to post religiously every single day with Daily Motion and Google Video links, but apparently they got hit with a cease and desist and he cleared his profile and no longer posts :(
Aw fuck, that was the best thing ever. You can't find old episodes of the show anywhere and they don't sell them. Anything on Netflix is just a tournament they post every year, so that sucks.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Today's show
was a close one. It's interesting to see how the contestants have been using more of James' strats against him.
Do the contestants get to watch the taping for the previous "day" while they're waiting?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Today's show
was a close one. It's interesting to see how the contestants have been using more of James' strats against him.
Do the contestants get to watch the taping for the previous "day" while they're waiting?
Using his strategy is probably the only way to beat him, unless you're an all star level player. Probably need both unless you are Ken or Brad, or those other couple top top players. Which even if you are that good, he has weeks worth of Jeopardy appearances under his belt, and is now completely comfortable being in front of an audience, etc., which puts new players at a disadvantage even more than they already are from his style of play. He'll probably end up beating himself like Jennings did.

I imagine Jeopardy producers are dying to set something up with him, Jennings, and Rutter.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Whatever sounds like they need to put him up against a weeb and have only anime categories. I mean he can't know EVERYTHING right?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
You can only win against James if you're willing to lose it all. Playing it safe during Daily Doubles won't cut it.

Oct 27, 2017
And wheel of fortune is a much more luck based game, which greatly lowers the skill ceiling to even be on the show (he talked about it, these are not average people on jeopardy, and never have been. They are highly screened and tested.)

Not familiar with jokers wild, but I would guess its also more luck based (easy statement to make, since jeopardy is like 0% luck.)
It still has luck involved but it's more "are these topics I'm comfortable in my knowledge with" than "fuck I got the bankrupt when I knew the phrase"

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
thetvdb says June 14 is the last taped episode, with them returning (to air) in September.

yeah that's not true.

James has something like games through win 62 in the can, if he's won out. He's at what, 26 now? So there's minimum 7 more weeks of his games available after this week.

There's also a Teen tournament coming up too that will put him on pause, but the games go into August, I believe.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
That was a good one -
Nate was game

This is appointment television for me and the lady right now.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Yeah. Why people aren't playing more aggressive against him is weird.

players in the Monday / Tuesday games have seen 0, and 1 games of his respectively. They have no idea how he plays. And even if they do, he gets most of the Daily Doubles.

The Thursday / Friday players each week should have seen 3-4 games at that point, and know what they are dealing with. It's possible there are hold-over local players (they are brought in for back-ups, but after serving as a back-up for a full day without playing, you're brought back the next taping date as a confirmed player) - so an LA player might've seen 5 games on a previous date.

The first players who play against him since his airing began will be those in the last 2 weeks (games 53-57, and 58-62). They would have seen the first 3 or 4 of his appearances prior to their tape dates.

The folks playing in the new season (if he's made it that far) - will have seen 40 something of his games tho.

That said, even if you know what your strategy is - you still have to figure out the plan, be faster on the buzzer, and know just as much as he does, and then with that board control, get lucky enough to find the Daily Doubles before he does.