• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I watched a couple episodes at the end of last week. This dude is a fiend. It's so silly when we get to the point to where there are only 3k worth of clues left on the board and this guy has like a 40k lead over the nearest opponent.

These people are troopers to bother answering questions when they're dead in the water.

Especially since you earn a fixed amount for second and third place. Unless that is competitive there's no point in continuing once it becomes a runaway game.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
yeah I mean, winning by 18 doesn't mean much beyond he had to win in FJ.

Many many Jeopardy wins are by 1 dollar, as you know exactly what you need to bet to win the game.

Shows he is mortal tho. But what's that, a non-runaway for the 2nd time in 17 games?

So in a 100 game period at this rate, he may only have about 12 chances to lose in Final Jeopardy. He's 16 out of 17 on Final Jeopardy.

So 6% miss rate on Final Jeopardy.

Again assuming those statistics hold (the sample size is too small still) - he'd have like a 48% chance of winning 100 games.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Alot of it is his ability to buzz in first. Today's episode had a guy that could hang with him when it comes to buzzing in.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody else been timing their cardio time at the gym to watch this past few weeks? The entire of ellipticals this last few days has been tuned to Jeopardy. One dude on Friday got so pissed that it was rescheduled to Saturday for the NFL draft (I was too, but player it cool).

No. He just won by $18.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for the guy who took second today. He was quick on the buzzer, smart and made great bets. If he were up against anyone else, I could see him holding his own for maybe a week. That final jeopardy was tough too.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Could he beat Rutter? Rutter has never lost a Jeopardy game unless you count his loss to Watson. He's also won over 4 million.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
You'd be pretty pissed off to finally make it onto the show and face James.

as someone currently in the Jeopardy! contestant pool after getting to the in-person audition, it's both a relief but also a bummer that I would be unable to face him due to sharing a first name, and thus they couldn't even consider calling me in until he loses.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
1nfwFmr.png
pwy9KsE.png

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
He won again. If he wins tomorrow, then he's off for two weeks (returning 5/20) due to the Teacher's tournament.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
as someone currently in the Jeopardy! contestant pool after getting to the in-person audition, it's both a relief but also a bummer that I would be unable to face him due to sharing a first name, and thus they couldn't even consider calling me in until he loses.
So it's mostly just a scheduled list of contestants based on their qualifying date? I get the same name disqualification, but does production pick and chose contestants to face this guy? If they wanted to have a lengthy win streak for publicity purposes, they could let him face weaker opponents.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
So it's mostly just a scheduled list of contestants based on their qualifying date? I get the same name disqualification, but does production pick and chose contestants to face this guy? If they wanted to have a lengthy win streak for publicity purposes, they could let him face weaker opponents.

if you make it that far - you aren't weak. and s&p wouldn't let them take players who weren't qualified just to keep him on the show (nor would Jeopardy want that anyway).

has nothing to do with qualifying date either - once you get an in-person audition, you're in the pool for 18 months.

they select on a wide assortment of things, including gender, race, age, location, video of you playing the game, interview, and even something as silly as first name. There's a higher percentage of Los Angeles/SoCal Area players as they serve as back-ups each taping day in case someone gets sick, misses a flight etc. If you do a whole day as a back-up, you then are placed in the next set of tapings as a confirmed contestant.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else thinks he looks like that guy from Jersey Shore? Vinnie?

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Just give James the prize for winning Tournament of Champions so that no one else has to waste their time.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
If only James got the last daily double, could have been a decent final score. Still a good score, I just expect better from him!

He now has the top 12 highest scores ever.

I can see the next two weeks of the teachers tournament being painful to watch after James run.

I know, right? Almost 80K on just ONE daily double (the first DD didn't even count, IMO). And he only bet 10,000 dollars to get it