• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I just can't get excited about a holiday at a time like this. Lawmakers across the country are actively trying disenfranchise us , large portions of the population see BLM as a terror group and black history is being white washed. The State of Texas has celebrated Juneteenth for as long as I remember but we are still treated like second class citizens here.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
I do have something to say to this.

Who are these "a lot of us?" I think it's important to be specific about who we're talking about here when we make these claims. Where's the historical precedence for this idea that another federal holiday is going to make Black people take the foot off the gas pedal?

Because most Black people I know, especially those who are active in the work of Black liberation, aren't that easily distracted.

And that's really just, unintentionally and in my opinion, contributing to the dehumanization of Black people in its own way. It refuses to engage with what Black people actually think and perpetuates this idea that Black people are incapable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. Regardless of how anybody feels about the significance of Juneteenth being recognized as a federal holiday, I find it difficult (based on my own lived experience) to buy into this idea that this is going to meaningfully change anything in terms of Black activism. Specifically, who are these people who would have been activated for the cause tomorrow, next week, or next month, but who now won't be because...Juneteenth?
I apologize if I wasn't being clear, I'll own that.

I work in the corporate world, in HR. We had meeting after meeting about diversity, equity, and inclusion with various teams during the demonstrations in 2020. My leadership, predominantly cis het white men, told leadership staff what they needed to do is listen. They vocalized their commitment to be more diverse and to do more to make sure employees can be "their authentic selves."

You know what I heard? Our Black employees were well aware of who our company donated to for political contributions. Our Black employees knew that our predominantly Black customer brackets were underserved, in terms of technology. Trust me when I say, I heard, and vocalized, lip service isn't nearly enough.

What did we do? Well, I mentioned this in a different thread, but we changed how we do screen savers to show prominent Black leaders during February. Our political contributions? Save those who sponsored the 1/6/2021 insurrection, no changes. Technology in our Southern areas with a predominantly Black customer population? Same maintenance schedule.

When I say "a lot of us" I mean, generally, White men who feel validated by small changes. I know that the change needed in society for marginalized groups doesn't hang on the whims of the majority. I just know that people who look like me sometimes feel really proud about small wins and think that everything is cool.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

Also, I remember the reparations threads back on GAF and those were a shitstorm.
The ones here aren't much better because people aren't forthcoming with the fact that they just don't think we deserve our fucking backpay for all the labor we've done. šŸ™ƒ

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Cool, so what does this mean for many black Americans who work on Saturdays on Theme parks and resorts?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
You know what I heard? Our Black employees were well aware of who our company donated to for political contributions. Our Black employees knew that our predominantly Black customer brackets were underserved, in terms of technology. Trust me when I say, I heard, and vocalized, lip service isn't nearly enough.

What did we do? Well, I mentioned this in a different thread, but we changed how we do screen savers to show prominent Black leaders during February. Our political contributions? Save those who sponsored the 1/6/2021 insurrection, no changes. Technology in our Southern areas with a predominantly Black customer population? Same maintenance schedule.

No apologies necessary, and I take ownership of the fact that after I responded to your post, I read it again and realized that I probably interpreted it incorrectly. So, there's that. lol

I sympathize with what you wrote here, because a lot of this reflects what's been happening at my day job, and I understand where the Black people in your office are coming from. Because, frankly, lip service isn't enough. We need more. The issue that I wrestle with, is that whenever this comes up, and there's a minor victory to be had, I fail to see who is arguing that this is enough...except for white people, whose opinions on this I don't necessarily take at full stock because this has happened before and will happen again. Juneteenth or not, white people as a demographic sit at the top of the socio-political power structure and will use any and every "minor victory" to dismiss entire movements. This is nothing new.

I want to be very clear that I'm speaking for myself here; you will find Black folks who disagree. But a lot of the internal work I've done over the last few months, in order to prevent myself from falling into a pit of debilitating pessimism, is knowing when I need to take a step back and breathe, and learning how to accept all the victories, big and small. Because I want everything for Black people.

More Black federal holidays? Yes.
More equity in hiring and pay? Yes.
A dismantling of the racialized and discriminatory justice system that exists terrorize us? Yes.
More Black people in positions of power? Yes.
More visibility for Black people in general? Yes, throw that in the cart too.

I want all of the things for Black people. And I try to take care that I don't get to this place where I'm paradoxically arguing that Black people should have less.

Make Juneteenth a federal holiday. It deserves. I'm still going to be organizing tomorrow. Ain't shit changed.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anybody crying about cynicism needs to take that shit up with their therapist about how they are so easily placated that if they recognized this for what it really was they'd be "miserable".

Niggas ain't need congress to celebrate this. White people mangle MLK holiday every ducking year but this is supposed to be progress? Lmfao. Y'all are convincing yourselves, not me. I was born at night, not last night.

I'll just tell my Landlord that the slow arc of progress takes a while and I'll get back to them on the rent in about fifty or so years.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
folks who are saying that we need to accept this as a "small win"

I mean, you can do what you want.

But I don't see anybody in here who's placated. So, I don't understand where the animosity aimed at people who are trying to see some good in this (and relating it to their own mental health...*raises hand*) is coming from. That was a little hurtful.

But, as I said, not everybody is going to agree.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can do what you want.

But I don't see anybody in here who's placated. So, I don't understand where the animosity aimed at people who are trying to see some good in this (and relating it to their own mental health...*raises hand*) is coming from. That was a little hurtful.

But, as I said, not everybody is going to agree.

Lauryn Hill once said: "See fantasy is what people want, but reality is what they need"

I don't know how many more symbolic wins people need to wrestle with before we all get on the same page about the current state of our reality

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Lauryn Hill once said: "See fantasy is what people want, but reality is what they need"

I don't know how many more symbolic wins people need to wrestle with before we all get on the same page about the current state of our reality

I think this is a false choice.

I won't speak to your motives or anyone else's. But in as much as you were responding to me, my willingness to acknowledge "symbolic victories" is not equivalent to my disassociation from Black people's struggle both in the US and abroad.

I can do both.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's easy to be cynical in 2021, but like, yesterday there was no holiday that recognized the end of slavery, and now there is. And in the future kids are going to grow up being aware of it, and people are gonna know about a day that wasn't really all that talked about till recently.

It's not like people are saying this somehow solved the problems black Americans face, but these small bits of recognition make sure future generations never forget. This kind of stuff does matter. Yeah, obviously do more, and don't be placated by symbols, but symbols are important, too. Both are necessary.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I think it's easy to be cynical in 2021, but like, yesterday there was no holiday that recognized the end of slavery, and now there is. And in the future kids are going to grow up being aware of it, and people are gonna know about a day that wasn't really all that talked about till recently.

It's not like people are saying this somehow solved the problems black Americans face, but these small bits of recognition make sure future generations never forget. This kind of stuff does matter. Yeah, obviously do more, and don't be placated by symbols, but symbols are important, too. Both are necessary.
What future kids are going to grow up being aware of depends on how the history is taught. If it's "the Army rode in and told the black people that Lincoln freed them," and that's essentially it, it doesn't help -- and could make things worse.

I think Juneteenth is an important component of historical education here, but I'm not optimistic about the rest of the context. Basically, the idea of a black Independence Day presents both opportunities (because that is something to recognize, remember, and celebrate) but also vulnerabilities... because it's yet another vector that can be used to craft narratives that fuel white supremacy.

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
FYI. City of Dallas employees will not be off Friday. They are looking to budget it for next year.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Trump: "I made Juneteenth very famous." ... "I did all this stuff for the blacks and they all fucking hate me."

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who does a lot of organizing work and activist work, especially last year (and early this year), to the point where I had to take a mental health break and separate myself from a lot of it, because I began to feel like I was falling into an endless fog of depression and hopelessness...

I am happy about this.

I can be happy about this.

And that doesn't mean the work is done. That doesn't mean I've lost sight that this same government is trying to impede on the rights of Black Americans and our ability to exercise our rights even now, or that taking a moment to appreciate the little victories (and celebrate the people who made them possible) along this winding road that we'll probably never see the end of in my lifetime is somehow betraying what we're trying to dismantle. It doesn't mean that the people who involve themselves in this work on the regular are just suddenly not. For me, it means that sometimes you have to give your soul a break, and note the progress you have made or else, paradoxically, you haven't made any.

I happy about this. Tomorrow, the work continues.

This is my take as well though I haven't done as much protesting and organizing. Juneteenth is nice to have (if anything it's the bare minimum that should have been done years ago) but there is more work to do.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

giphy.gif

Apr 21, 2018

I get the sentiment here, but I hate when people throw "they" around. As if the Republicans in Florida banning critical race theory in schools have anything to do with the Biden administration signing off on a new holiday.

These types of reductionist comparisons aren't helpful, and are the types of disingenuous comparisons I'm used to right-wing-tards making.

EDIT - I think I'm missing critical information here...

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
There's a Juneteenth celebration going on at the capital building today.

I wanted to donate locally, so I sent some money to Emancipate NC.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Just wanna say that while I personally feel like this type of acknowledgment from the government rings hollow without them also formally and officially apologizing to us for the atrocities that they've committed against our people (seriously imagine someone abducting and abusing you for years, and after they let you go, they decide to commemorate your freedom without even so much as apologizing for their wrong doing), if other black people see it as a small victory, then it's not my place to shit on their parade. I'm glad they're able to see something positive in this.

I'm just tired of the superficial bullshit. And if we're gonna be superficial, at least give us a hollow formal apology. I can't seriously value any kind of acknowledgment from the government regarding our achievements if they can't apologize for their wrong doing that prompted us to strive for those achievements in the first place. It's like the most basic sign of remorse, and they haven't shown it. The government is a fucking joke.

EDIT: and to be super duper clear, I'm only speaking from my perspective. Black people aren't a monolith.

Last edited:

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
A shame corporate America, or most companies won't observe this either. I just checked which paid holidays I get and it's the bare minimum "safe" American holidays. Can't be observing any controversial person or race-based holiday.