• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
….did we just invite all the yt folk to the picnic?
On the contrary, it is statistically more likely that Black people will be delivering food for the whites' picnics in their unearned day off.

At the very least, I'm surprised they recognized it federally. Now, about reparations— Ah-ah. Don't you leave. I know you got the money.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That's true xD And knowing these agencies, change can either be very fast because they were prepared or it'll take an eternity and never anything in between.

What I imagine will happen is that many government HR/payroll offices will issue holiday credit to all employees at a later date to use at their disposal due to how last minute this is, just so people can't complain about missing out on the holiday.
yeah, just got off a last-second conference call - my agency in particular is rolling out retroactive holiday credit next week (and while some of us, me included, still have to log in tomorrow we're getting holiday pay out of it and revising sheets tomorrow for the afternoon being off)

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, just got off a last-second conference call - my agency in particular is rolling out retroactive holiday credit next week (and while some of us, me included, still have to log in tomorrow we're getting holiday pay out of it and revising sheets tomorrow for the afternoon being off)

Yea I'm a government contractor and we already have planned maintenance we have to do tomorrow so they're just giving us 8 hours of PTO to float another day.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So some people in this thread are advocating for segregated holidays now?

You gotta be a special kind of stupid to think this is the take.

No, some people think it's fucked up that white people all over the country will get a day off for a holiday they didn't know about, surrounding a legacy of slavery that has not been addressed, and likely never will be. And, as seen on the previous page, its existence is already punishing Black people in a prison pipeline that maintains aspects of slavery to this very day.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Guess it's wrong that I'm black, 53...and didn't know the significance of today in our history. Oh well. Celebrating I will be doing this weekend.

Why? Same reason I celebrate the 4th. I like a good celebration.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My sister-in-law works at the American embassy in Rabat, Morocco. They got a late evening message saying they'll be closed tomorrow.

Now rename Columbus Day to Indigenous People's Day like a few states already do.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Someone on our internal discussion page asked about it, seems like our holidays are planned out with unions so they can't just have tomorrow off unfortunately.

Jun 10, 2018
Maybe I'd be happier if I didn't expect Dems to Lord this achievement as significant impactful legislative political currency as a way to browbeat black constituents to vote for Dems perpetually.

Perhaps I'm unfazed by this news not because of some fault with Juneteenth itself but rather I'm tired of feckless performative theatre.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My company just announced they're now recognizing it as a paid holiday we have off.

It also happens to be my birthday which is a nice personal plus.

Recognition of this holiday at the federal level was long overdue but I'm glad it's finally happened. It's pretty insane how few people here in Texas didn't know about the state dragging it's heels with emancipating their slaves. The emancipation proclamation was signed two years earlier and even given the remote (at the time) status of the state, that's still a lousy fucking embarrassment.

Today, it's -the- hardest state to vote in, so let that be a reminder to anyone thinking that it's effects still aren't felt today in this shitbird of a state. Jim Crow is apparently something that the current state government still aspires to 😐

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that we keep "solving" all sorts of problems that don't materially affect anyone...

But also don't mind another day off.

And awareness/recognition is indeed some form of progress. I just wish it were tied to something that people were asking for.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

E4GwoYzWEAIutqc

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Great news! Now please make voting day a national holiday.

This means all banks and some other institutions will suddenly be closed tomorrow? Or do they get a "pass" this year?

Depends on if the Federal Reserve closes.

For example, if the 4th of July falls on a Saturday, there is no holiday. If it falls on a Sunday, they observe the holiday on Monday. I could not tell you why this is. Where I work provides software services for Credit Unions, and thus we get news from the Federal Reserve. They sent an email earlier today stating that they will remain open tomorrow and Monday. It "conforms with their standard practice for any federal holiday that falls on Saturday". They'll adjust their schedule to reflect the new holiday schedule in the years to come.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
tbh if there's one situation where government's gonna move lightning fast it's implementing paid holidays for themselves

State employee here. Don't think I'll be off tomorrow unless the governor declares it so. Either way, this holiday is long overdue, and it's bull$#!? that teachers can't even explain to their students the reasons behind this holiday without risk of retaliation from conservative lawmakers.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday, Louisiana's governor made it a state holiday and we just got clarification at my work that if you typically worked half a day on Friday you get the day off, and people who work 8 hours on Friday work half a day.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
You gotta be a special kind of stupid to think this is the take.

No, some people think it's fucked up that white people all over the country will get a day off for a holiday they didn't know about, surrounding a legacy of slavery that has not been addressed, and likely never will be. And, as seen on the previous page, its existence is already punishing Black people in a prison pipeline that maintains aspects of slavery to this very day.

I'm black, (sorry I'm biracial, I'm sure most people on this site wouldn't consider me to be black), grew up around only the black side of my family and I've never heard of Juneteenth and never celebrated it, and I even had family members that celebrated Kwanzaa instead of Christmas. So I'm sure there are others like me, who now realize the significance of the day because of this holiday or because the discussion around making it a holiday.

Anyway, you can be upset all you want (and rightfully so), but I'm sure all kinds of people celebrate holidays they know nothing about or isn't of any importance to them, but I don't think that's good excuse not to make it a holiday.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on if the Federal Reserve closes.

For example, if the 4th of July falls on a Saturday, there is no holiday. If it falls on a Sunday, they observe the holiday on Monday. I could not tell you why this is. Where I work provides software services for Credit Unions, and thus we get news from the Federal Reserve. They sent an email earlier today stating that they will remain open tomorrow and Monday. It "conforms with their standard practice for any federal holiday that falls on Saturday". They'll adjust their schedule to reflect the new holiday schedule in the years to come.
Holy crap. I work with banks too(transferring NACHA files, etc) I never knew this :0

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Juneteenth is the first new federal holiday in the U.S. since 1983's introduction of MLK Day as a federal holiday.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
*cries in State government employee*

Even though we are recognizing it this year, it isnt an official state holiday until 2022, so it doesn't look like we'll be getting anything off.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So our state offices have announced they are honoring this new federal holiday tomorrow, but of course county and municipal governments got the news late and most aren't going to give us tomorrow off. Feels bad man.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My university employer just sent out notice that the school will observe the holiday tomorrow. Faculty can cancel classes at their discretion due to the short notice. Staff can take tomorrow off or save it for another time due to the short notice. But it'll be a regular holiday on the calendar moving forward.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Just got word that my base I work at is closed tomorrow but I'm a contractor so I'm not sure if I count too.

Still planning on working until I'm told otherwise.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm black, (sorry I'm biracial, I'm sure most people on this site wouldn't consider me to be black), grew up around only the black side of my family and I've never heard of Juneteenth and never celebrated it, and I even had family members that celebrated Kwanzaa instead of Christmas. So I'm sure there are others like me, who now realize the significance of the day because of this holiday or because the discussion around making it a holiday.

Anyway, you can be upset all you want (and rightfully so), but I'm sure all kinds of people celebrate holidays they know nothing about or isn't of any importance to them, but I don't think that's good excuse not to make it a holiday.

Sure. Cool cool, we got a federal holiday that states are now trying to ban teaching the reason it exists. Cool cool cool.

What about voter suppression?
What about police reform?
Can we do something about those black men and women that have been incarcerated for marijuana now that white people are making millions of dollars gentrifying it?

Nah?

But they'll move quick for an empty gesture like this. Sure sure sure. Feel how you want. Don't really care if you're black, biracial, or otherwise. My sentiment remains the same. there are lots of Black people that don't know about Juneteenth. No big deal. but this is just something to bludgeon Black people with when we think the government isn't doing anything for us. Black people celebrating Juneteenth makes sense, because, as Frederick Douglass said, "What is the 4th of July to a slave."

A country that ignores the history and impact of slavery on the people most impacted to this day making this a holiday for the entire country? Sounds about white. Let's pat ourselves on the back for doing absolutely nothing to remedy the conditions we've created.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Cool cool, we got a federal holiday that states are now trying to ban teaching the reason it exists. Cool cool cool.

What about voter suppression?
What about police reform?
Can we do something about those black men and women that have been incarcerated for marijuana now that white people are making millions of dollars gentrifying it?

Nah?

But they'll move quick for an empty gesture like this. Sure sure sure. Feel how you want. Don't really care if you're black, biracial, or otherwise. My sentiment remains the same. there are lots of Black people that don't know about Juneteenth. No big deal. but this is just something to bludgeon Black people with when we think the government isn't doing anything for us. Black people celebrating Juneteenth makes sense, because, as Frederick Douglass said, "What is the 4th of July to a slave."

A country that ignores the history and impact of slavery on the people most impacted to this day making this a holiday for the entire country? Sounds about white. Let's pat ourselves on the back for doing absolutely nothing to remedy the conditions we've created.

We definitely need to keep fighting for all of that I agree with you there. It feels like everything has to take baby steps in America. About 100 years to end slavery, about 100 years to get civil rights, probably won't be another 100 years for any more meaningful change, but I'm not going to give up.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
My company doesn't even give us MLK day off, so this likely means nothing for my workplace. Management is also completely white so there's that.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm just annoyed that this is now a copmala thread, when it's not even her bill. She's just the tiebreaking vote in the Senate.
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee was the driving force behind it. I think people just see Biden's name in the thread title and go off.

None of what you mention is false. It's understandable for people to be cynical for the reasons you mention.

That said, it does still mean something for Juneteenth to get Federal recognition. Awareness and recognition is a necessary part of the conversation.
Awareness and recognition are important! I say the following not as a criticism towards you, but as an observation.

As a White leftist, I know White leftists. Again, POCs if I'm wrong, call me out. What a lot of us will do is say "see, look how good this is!!" Then, the foot comes off the gas pedal, and we celebrate all the success we totally did getting this passed. Then, we will act shocked, shocked, when then next article comes out about a cop murdering a POC unjustly. Unfortunately, we're good at being consistent about only showing up when shit starts to burn.

Juneteenth being a national recognized holiday is, legitimately, a good thing. I will never shit on anybody that's excited about this, but I also will not begrudge POCs for wanting, demanding, more. I hope White people realize this is nowhere near enough.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
What a lot of us will do is say "see, look how good this is!!" Then, the foot comes off the gas pedal, and we celebrate all the success we totally did getting this passed.

I do have something to say to this.

Who are these "a lot of us?" I think it's important to be specific about who we're talking about here when we make these claims. Where's the historical precedence for this idea that another federal holiday is going to make Black people take the foot off the gas pedal?

Because most Black people I know, especially those who are active in the work of Black liberation, aren't that easily distracted.

And that's really just, unintentionally and in my opinion, contributing to the dehumanization of Black people in its own way. It refuses to engage with what Black people actually think and perpetuates this idea that Black people are incapable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. Regardless of how anybody feels about the significance of Juneteenth being recognized as a federal holiday, I find it difficult (based on my own lived experience) to buy into this idea that this is going to meaningfully change anything in terms of Black activism. Specifically, who are these people who would have been activated for the cause tomorrow, next week, or next month, but who now won't be because...Juneteenth?

If Juneteenth is enough to make you disengage, I question how engaged you were to start with.

EDIT: I realize on second read of your post that you were probably talking specifically about white people here? But a lot of what I said still stands to that.