• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work in a creative industry. There are 2 ongoing projects at my office. On big one that's pretty much sure to to be a success and a small on that's on somewhat shaky ground. The two teams get bonuses based how much of a profit their respective projects generate.

I tell my manager I want to be moved from the small project to the bigger one.
He asked me why and I told him it was because I wanted the bigger bonus.

He seemed surprised then scolded me. I was told that we're doing this work to be creative and not to try to make as much money as possible. And that my heart is in the wrong place.

Am I in the wrong here? Should I have obscured my actual motivations instead of being honest?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
He seemed surprised then scolded me. I was told that we're doing this work to be creative and not to try to make as much money as possible. And that my heart is in the wrong place

Lol then why are the projects compensated differently

But yeah realpolitik you might not have wanted to call him on his bullshit and made something up.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maybe you should try to renegotiate. point out that the smaller project is on shaky ground and pulling that one of should be compensated higher.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
jobs are basically shitty games you have to participate in and nobody who is above your position can ever be trusted

so i think your reasoning makes perfect sense but generally at work i lie about anything unimportant if it makes me look better

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
He's right, your heart is in the wrong place for that company and/or type of work, you fucked up

Everyone wants money but the valuable employees are ones that actually care about the work

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's right, your heart is in the wrong place for that company and/or type of work, you fucked up

Everyone wants money but the valuable employees are ones that actually care about the work
I do good work. This same manager told me this in my last performance review where I got above average ratings. I'd just rather be doing good work on the project that will get me $$$.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is working for money but for some reason you gotta pretend you care about working more than money. Basically who can lie the best in their favor. It's all a shitty game.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's a "When keeping it real goes wrong" joke here.

But yeah, you're thinking isn't wrong. You either should have given an alternative reason or asked for more from the smaller project (and argued that it's not a guaranteed win like the big one).

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
But it might be result of different scope/timeframe of those projects?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"I feel like I could contribute a great deal to this particular project, __________ is something I am very passionate/care a great deal for!"

shoulda just lied

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I feel like I could contribute a great deal to this particular project, __________ is something I am very passionate/care a great deal for!"

shoulda just lied
I generally have a good rapport with this guy, so I just decided to be honest. Guess I kept it too real in this case.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's no way I could hear that from any boss and not laugh at him/her.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You were probably too honest... But it's on your boss to reflect about the skewed incentive structure

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldnt agree with this. I hate my job and think its extremely pointless, but at the same time I'm the best value/productivity wise they'll ever get.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love it when managers assume you're working out of love for the company and not for money

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The reason is valid. Your mistake was to share that reason. Talking about money in any company these days usually yields negative results even when it's important. It's actually ironic especially in the us. So next time think about a valid reason to choose a project without referring to personal material reasons. But at this point, it's too late to do anything about it where you work since your boss will always assume this about your decision to choose a project in the future. But maybe it's a lesson for future work.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017

This line of thinking is naive. I work to get paid. If I enjoy the work it's a huge plus. It doesn't mean I am doing out of the goodness of my heart. My needs and my priorities will always be towards myself and people I care about. It's why people switching jobs because of better opportunities.

I think people who stay for very long at companies hold that mentality of yours, but it not always best own self interest.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

If this was true you'd get a bonus for caring about your work or having your heart in the right place, and not the revenue attached to the project you're on.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That is simply not true. You can have terrific employees that don't really give a fuck, and terrible employees that are really committed. The first ones can still be terrific, but the latter will still be terrible.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some things you just don't say out loud. Come up with a bullshit reason to be moved. Saying you want more money had a 0% chance of working.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Should've just lied, and told him you wanted the challenge.

At the end of the day, that manager is fucking full of shit too, and just doesn't want to move you off the current project most likely, because then he'd have to fill your spot anyways. If the project is on shaky ground, that means there's even more reason to try to keep someone more competent on it to ensure it doesn't fail.

You need to look out for number 1 at the end of the day, and unless you're friends with that boss, there's really no reason you should be THAT honest with them when it comes to your pockets.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
tell the boss "fool, I obviously work for money."

and its entirely possible your boss is snowjobbing you and making an excuse because someone else already asked him, or it would be a hassle to move you.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Your manager is wrong, he probably just doesn't want the hassle of looking for replacement who wants to be in that sinking ship project.

You can be creative AND get the bonus money with the bigger project lol

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Your manager is awful and actively working to create a fake relationship with you, so now you know to treat them like an asshole and lie about everything.

It's unimaginable to me that a manager would prefer their subordinates lie to them but here we are.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017

shoulda just lied
Yup! Sucks you can't be honest. This is how you should always approach it. Talk about how you can add improve something. That's what I did when I wanted to be a Team Lead and my crappy retail job years ago. The money was all I gave a damn about. I framed it like I could make the team more productive under my leadership. Which was somewhat true, but I didn't have a damn about productivity 😂

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
Asking to leave the failing project to ensure you maximise your bonus is not a great look. What happens when the rest of the project so the same? What happens to those already on the succeeding project? You should have renegotiated the bonus structure instead.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I mean no offense to any bosses, but I work to get paid. I feel like our business relationship is predicated on this entire concept

But you probably should have lied.

Oct 26, 2017
What a ridiculous bonus structure. How could they possibly expect that people wouldn't feel this way when they are directly manufacturing an "us vs them" mentality.

A proper, fair bonus structure would be that all projects collectively contribute to a shared pool, and then distributed to each employee based on their individual performance. That way nobody ends up getting a large bonus just due to "luck of the draw".

OP, you're totally in the right and your manager seems like a bit of an arsehole.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Tact is incredibly important at work, being blunt won't go down well with most people, especially if your boss was being genuine and favours creativity over profit.

Nov 18, 2017

oooff what a silly post, screw this attitude OP. You gotta put food on the table, you deserve to be compensated for your work.

Not everyone can just fall back on mummy & daddy to pay for their lives, if your good at something OP dont feel you have to do it for free to prove you 'care'.

If your employer cared about the work he'd be paying you all fairly.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I hate bullshit like this. There will of course be exceptions, but most people work to live, and I really hate the attitude that some bosses have that you're supposed to pretend that you work simply because you love what you do.

As another poster said, if the company doesn't want people to only be interested in getting on lucrative projects, they should structure the bonuses so that they're based on the success of the company or division as a whole.

Oct 27, 2017
Tact is incredibly important at work, being blunt won't go down well with most people, especially if your boss was being genuine and favours creativity over profit.
Then why would the team with the more lucrative project get the bigger bonus? Why not give bonuses based on "creativity" or at least pay everyone equally?

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, we also have that shitty bonus system. There's a really successful GAAS game in dev here and that brings in a ton of money - and the people lucky enough to be on that project get a massive bonus every year. While the ones that are working on something unreleased, for example, get significantly less.

I feel like the exact same thing would happen if any of us here asked to switch projects just because of the bonus haha