• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The King:
800px-Xbox-360-Pro-wController.jpg

A tweet from XBOX remembering the date:

The launch party red carpet, with several gaming personalities such as Wilmer Valderrama and C.C DeVille

A Fan POV of the Launch Party:

The Launch Line-Up, from MS itself:

• "Amped 3" (2K Sports)
  • "Call of Duty 2" (Activision Inc.)
  • "Condemned: Criminal Origins" (SEGA Corp.)
  • "FIFA Soccer 06 Road to 2006 FIFA World Cup" (Electronic Arts Inc.)
  • "GUN™" (Activision)
  • "Kameo: Elements of Power" (Microsoft Game Studios and Rare Ltd.)
  • "Madden NFL 06" (Electronic Arts)
  • "NBA 2K6" (2K Sports)
  • "NBA LIVE 06" (Electronic Arts)
  • "Need for Speed Most Wanted" (Electronic Arts)
  • "NHL 2K6" (2K Sports)
  • "Perfect Dark Zero" (Microsoft Game Studios and Rare Ltd.)
  • "Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie" (Ubisoft)
  • "Project Gotham Racing 3" (Microsoft Game Studios and Bizarre Creations Ltd.)
  • "Quake 4™" (id Software and Activision)
  • "Ridge Racer 6" (Namco Ltd.)
  • "Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06" (Electronic Arts)
  • "Tony Hawk's American Wasteland" (Activision)
Never had one, my parents gave me a PS3 because I had a PS2 and in the end I was the weird kid in class without a 360, although I don't think this was bad or anything I always wanted a 360.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to wait a couple days due to shortages at the time. I also went back to my N64 for those days too as my OG xbox decided to quit reading discs that week.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A great console, so many good memories. I had both the white fat model and the black S.

Dec 2, 2017
I remember the first I became aware of the 360, I was only 12 and wasn't reading non Nintendo magazines or using the internet, was the day of launch when some kid was on the morning news with his console RROD'd right out of the box.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
My launch 360 didn't even make it to x-mas, lol.

great system but I went through 4 of the motherfuckers

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I remember it took me forever to find a 20 gb system. Didn't get one until July of 2006. Have fond memories playing Call of Duty 2, Marble Blast Ultra and Dead Rising on my birthday.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday was Super Famicom's 30th.

It's weird that X360 is now half it's age.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only Xbox I ever bought to play Mass Effect. From a Playstation diehard fan the 360 console is the only one that's great.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Loved my 360 so much. The first years with gears, blue dragon, lost odyssey and ninja gaiden gave me so much life.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Favorite console of all times. Got me hooked on Call of Duty and Gears. 😂

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I still remember how I got an Xbox 360 "Core" model — the only one I could find in town — on the same day Oblivion released, and then playing that game for an insane amount of time. Unfortunately it also fell victim to red-ringing later on, as did its replacement unit. (Thank god for XB1's stellar back-compatibility.)

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Couldn't afford to upgrade my PC back then, so bought this with a VGA adaptor and PGR3. To say I was impressed was an understatement.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legendary console, changed how console online is done, invented universal achievements, I'll always remember my first one. It was playing PDZ.

Remember my mind being blown with how party chat was system level, so you could continue speaking to your friends whilst changing disks.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Still the best console ever imo. and even now it still lives on with BC on modern Xbox consoles. It did decline in the latter years, but the early ones had enough goodness to make up for it. XBLA, XBLIG, Xbox Live, Gears, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey ect. Microsoft got so much right that generation.

Jun 20, 2018
I got mine in summer 2006, still part of the launch batch and it's still running now, although it got replaced as my main 360 when the elite came out with the HDMI connection. No RROD on either of them.

it was the first console where I had a full time job from the start so was getting on the big releases at release, and the first time I'd played any kind of online gaming.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Fantastic console, had loads of great times. The original blades dashboard is still the best Xbox UI IMO.

I really lucked out on launch day too I pre-ordered a core system as that's all I could get and when it turned up on release they had sent me a premium by mistake.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I attended the launch party in Palmdale, Ca. ZERO HOUR. Was part of the "1am Club", a name a group of us made on the Official Xbox Forums because we stayed up til 1am to sign up for a chance to get tix to the event. At the event, I won a round of Dead Or Alive tournament which won me a custom spray painted faceplate. What a wonderful time I had.

Edit: I still have my Zero Hour hoodie sweater they gave out at the event. Also, my gamertag pic is still the "0" exclusive to the attendants of the event. I never saved it onto my memory card, so I'm never changing it.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
I camped from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am at my local Target on launch day.

There was a lady that arrived late and was offering $100 for a spot but everyone said no lol.

Oct 30, 2017
I got the 360 very very late since I had the PS3 first. I worked retail back then, and those early models were rough, like one coming in every day due to RROD. I luckily picked up the later black revisions and got a lot of games to catch up to. Such a fantastic system and it's currently still hooked up to a 1080p plasma along with my Switch.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
It was a few months later here in Australia, I remember not enjoying the wait.

One of the best consoles ever imo. A lot of great exclusives and amazing third part support. It set many of the standards of modern console gaming.

I just wish I still had a working console lol

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I had to wait until 2006 to get mine, because they just weren't available to people living in US military installations in Italy until then.

I remember when I finally got it though, it was awesome! My friend and I would just stay up like 24 hours a day for like a week playing Oblivion and swapping back and forth so the other could sleep or go grab some food, lol.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
time flies. Got mine on Christmas day and loved it. I was in the UK Xbox Forum community and played so many fun online games in the days before party chat when people actually talked online.

SeparateScalyAntbear-size_restricted.gif

Worst hardware I ever owned, though. I had 6 die on me and it soured me on Xbox for a long time.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I was at zero hour as well. My buddy and I got smashed on Smirnoff ice and ended up meeting Peter Moore, who signed our bean bags. The fun part the security staff thought Smirnoff ice was soda so allowed us to wonder around the place with drinks.

Another bonus of zero hour was that we all got to get an Xbox 360, memory card, bean bag and a face plate. The 360 we had to pay for everything else's was free.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
First console I ever bought at launch and first console I ever took online. Microsoft had a genuine forward looking vision and seemed to have a much better gauge of where gaming was going than Sony did.

It quickly established itself as the "default" console for gamers here in the UK and Microsoft haven't quite captured that same magic ever since.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So the Xbox 360 launched the same day Angela Merkel became chancelor of Germany.
This can only mean one thing ... I'm getting old man.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many 360 games are BC on a series x? I have a ton of 360 discs. Can i just put them in an X and play after downloading?

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
This and the PS2 are the consoles a have the fondest memories with. Damn good console (besides early day hardware issues lol).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Xbox 360 set the standard for today's consoles. One of the most important consoles, probably my favourite of all time.

Halo 3, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Kameo, PGR4, Forza, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, Crackdown... Microsoft published some incredible games on it.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a good console. I had a lot of fun with games like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, The Last Remnant and Fable 2. And honestly, I still think the original white 360 looks great.