• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Its a good game but not on the same level as 2&3, like has been stated the change of tone hurt.

I remember one part of the game having a set of some of best action sequences in the series, it finally felt the it was going to match its predecessors and then bam, you play as a kid in the most boring level of the entire franchise. It felt like the entire game was like this

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
My fave Uncharted by far! ND really learned a lot in terms of combat design coming from TLOU. Levels are much wider and there are just way more combat options here. Also much prefer the pacing here compared to the other entries in the series, again something you can directly trace back to their work on TLOU. Plus, it has some of the best moments in the series (Crash Bandicoot scene + last chapter).

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like it. I also don't understand the need to give nate backstories back to back (uc 3 and 4). Lost Legacy is the true sequel to U2. Chloe the best.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
U2 is still my favorite Uncharted game, but the epilogue in U4 was fantastic and heartfelt. A perfect ending to this franchise.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I found a lot of it to be a retread of the themes presented in UC3, but ultimately, best gunplay in the series.

I know they say that UC can continue without Drake but I would love to see him back one day.

duder92

Jun 17, 2018
Loved the initial play through, but man, this is just about the most un-replayable game that I can remember.

The pacing is all over the place and it really shows on the 2nd outing. There just is a surprising lack of actual gameplay, which is a shame, because its proabably the best combat of the series.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely hated how it - and Lost Legacy - unmade their protagonists in significant ways by making their achievements guided by their previously unmentioned families of explorers and antiquarians.

Yeah, I also didn't like this element. It was supposed to be "Greatness from small beginnings," not from family birthright! Also disliked having to go through what felt like a rehash of the issues Nate and Elena already resolved in UC3. And honestly the whole inclusion of Sam, even if I liked him well enough, was pretty contrived.

Sully has always been my favorite character and I didn't enjoy his utilization here that much (or the fact that he looks like a different person).

But before I sound too negative, it's still a solid game (with one hell of a setpiece)--just not my favorite in the series.

Nov 8, 2017
4 is the only Uncharted game I really loved. The first one I liked despite so much of it being a shooting gallery, because the story was really cool in that Indiana Jones way. 2 and 3 were huge letdowns, the only improvement I noticed was in 3 enemies were less bullet spongey (until the last segment, omfg).

I haven't played Lost Legacy yet though, I hear good things but I can't really trust anyone's opinions on Uncharted. Clearly I'm an outlier and the series is focused on over the top action sequences while I prefer exploring, puzzles, and mostly enjoy the climbing. I really dislike the car chases and things along those lines.

May 7, 2020
NippyFaithfulGoat-size_restricted.gif

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combat and stealth was amazing, just felt so good

also LOVED the pacing

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Game was okay with awful pacing. But thanks to it, I could play the fantastic Lost Legacy, so I'm glad they made it nonetheless.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I've been replaying it and it still looks amazing, could easily be released this year.
My favorite Uncharted.

Oct 25, 2017
There was so much wrong with it. The drama was oppressive for what could've been a fun adventure. The music was not good. Sam was both contrived and a wet blanket of a character. The game lost the cool set pieces. They make you fight an unwinnable fight against the same character twice with no winnable version. The story sections of the game, particularly the first couple hours, are way overdone and could've been cut down. The ending is a falt-out embarrassment of trying to salvage their depressing game for some kind of happy ending.

At least it looked good.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I've replayed UC2 and UC3 countless times.

This one has only ever been a one and done affair for me back when it launched. I loved it, don't get me wrong. But I don't the same urge to go back to it as I do with the aforementioned games.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't gotten around to playing. Waiting for a crazy sale at this point. Loved Uncharted 1-3, bought a PS3 solely for those games and was not disappointed.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i feel lucky as somebody who never got around to uncharted i got UC4 and the collection free with ps+/pandemic sympathy thing

can't wait to dive into it but uh... that's a lot shit to play through. maybe get back to me 10 yrs from now how i feel about it lol

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely hated how it - and Lost Legacy - unmade their protagonists in significant ways by making their achievements guided by their previously unmentioned families of explorers and antiquarians.

This is something I really disliked about LL.

Much prefer Chloe in UC2 where she just does things for fun and for herself. Had my fill of "muh father" for a lifetime with Nu-Lara, can't believe Chloe went the same route lol.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is decent for a one-time experience, it's still one of the best looking games out there. But frankly there are too many and too long dull walking and climbing sections, they leaned too heavily on the cinematic aspects of this franchise at the expense of pacing. It's a real drag on replay, and the gameplay just isn't anything to write home about at this point after playing four of these things, nevermind how sporadic the moments of combat are in the game.

I'm kinda over this kind of pseudo-cinematic game design. I got the Nathan Drake collection for free and I can't even be bothered to install it. Got TLOU for PS4 and didn't bother finishing it, although I had already played it multiple times on PS3. I'm looking forward to TLOU2 but I expect that game to be a one and done.

Meeps

3D animator
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I would put this in my top 20 for this gen, but god dammit if it doesn't have my favorite cutscene of it:

The lenght they went to animate Nate's gesture as he follows a thought and waves his hands around, how Elena looks at him remembering why she loves him... easily head and shoulders above any other developer in terms of VA/mocap/cutscene direction.

Thank you so much for the kind words. A bunch of my talented coworkers and I worked on this scene at Sony San Diego. It feels like a lifetime ago, but I still get a kick out of reading these threads. We only worked on the cutscenes so I played the actual game for the first time at launch along with everyone else.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Great game, is not my favourite, but it is a fantastic'ending' to the series. I have yet to finish Lost Legacy though

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much for the kind words. A bunch of my talented coworkers and I worked on this scene at Sony San Diego. It feels like a lifetime ago, but I still get a kick out of reading these threads. We only worked on the cutscenes so I played the actual game for the first time at launch along with everyone else.
I had no idea other Sony studios contributed to UC4 in such a fashion. I guess it's the same for TLOU2? I guess it's like Ubisoft marshaling their global troops to finish their Asscreeds.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
For me it was the best Uncharted. It really felt like a complete adventure. The pace was excellent, having fewer combat and increasing the quality of these was a success.

t0rment

Oct 27, 2017
such a boring game. what a disappointment. could've watched it on youtube and i wouldn't have missed much, to be honest.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks to you my friend. I have no expertise at all regarding animations, but the fact that after 4 years I can look at this cutscene and still stop it frame by frame and say "WOW" out loud speaks for itself. To me in this context realistic animations are not the ones that are more complex or correct from a physics POV, but those which actually capture human nature, in this case Nathan's train of thought as he connects the dots and you don't even need words to understand it. All the people who enacted it, directed it and animated it did a stellar job.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
A really nice experience, not a great game overall.
I didn't actually mind its lower focus on action an shooting, i might've even liked it if in place of that it had actual platforming and puzzles, not just fake on-rail bullshit.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. I could've gone for a couple both interested in the treasure hunting life with a legit approach being thwarted by a bad group. Not into making me feel guilty for enjoying "another, gah" adventure.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the more strategic combat in Uncharted 4, and that driving chase level is stunning. It's a shame about the excess climbing/auto-platforming. That was a weak point of the previous games but instead of improving it, they just added a bunch more of it. Great game overall but Lost Legacy does the same style with much less filler and a better protagonist.

Meeps

3D animator
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea other Sony studios contributed to UC4 in such a fashion. I guess it's the same for TLOU2? I guess it's like Ubisoft marshaling their global troops to finish their Asscreeds.

I wasn't really aware of this myself either before I worked there. Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) did cinematics work for many major 1st party games. They have an extremely talented group of animators.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
Replayed the trilogy recently with the intention of moving on to UC4 for a second playthrough. But once the gang was walking towards the plane at the end of UC3 and it faded to black, I was done. That's an ending. It killed any motivation I had for continuing into 4. Maybe someday...

Mar 3, 2018
Late game spoiler

The part where Nate and Sam are exploring the mansion to find their mothers belonging is my fav part. Mainly because I have always wanted a game where Im a kid that is sneaking around town, exploring and finding things. Also helps that it made me very nostalgic for my childhood. I also love the start at the orphanage section at the beginning for the same reason.

Meeps

3D animator
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Late game spoiler

The part where Nate and Sam are exploring the mansion to find their mothers belonging is my fav part. Mainly because I have always wanted a game where Im a kid that is sneaking around town, exploring and finding things. Also helps that it made me very nostalgic for my childhood. I also love the start at the orphanage section at the beginning for the same reason.

It was a shame they had to cut the sword fight in this chapter. There is a video about it on youtube if you haven't seen.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the detractors need to run this one back. Give it another shot, now that some time has passed. It's an unbelievable adventure game.
Yeah. I liked it the first time I played 4 years ago and loved it when I replayed it a few months ago. I actually appreciated it a lot more on my second playthrough. That motorcycle Crash cam was great for example, probably the best in the franchise.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
wow it's been 4 years already?

Was an amazing experience. Love how it wrapped things up. That said...time for a new Uncharted

Kitano

Mar 28, 2019
I finished it not too long ago and was amazed. Had never played a game in Uncharted series before.

Thanks to this game I was craving for more Naughty Dog and went directly to another masterpiece - TLOU, which I have already finished too.

Can't wait for TLOU2.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I think it's probably the second best Uncharted but still just an alright game. They should have done more with the climbing/platforming stuff and less tedious shooting segments.