• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Qrm3QVj.jpg

Yup, it's been exactly 80 years since the very first Tom & Jerry cartoon, "Puss Gets The Boot" was released in US theaters in February 10, 1940. That short would later span a series starring the most famous animated Cat-and-Mouse duo. For pretty much every decade since, Tom & Jerry have always been a part of television, whether it's reruns of the classic theatrical shorts, or new TV shows being produced.

The characters were created by the legendary duo of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, who would direct all the shorts made during the 40s and the 50s (with Hanna also providing the voice for Tom's screams). In the 60s, two new series of shorts were made, the first directed by Gene Deitch, and the second by former Looney Tunes director Chuck Jones. After that, Hanna and Barbera will get their characters back for multiple spin-off shows made for TV, and eventually the series and characters and all related merchandise would become owned by Warner Bros., who would continue producing new series. The last series, The Tom & Jerry Show, is still in production.

So yeah, Happy 80th Anniversary, Tom & Jerry. Thanks for all these years of funny animation and cartoon violence. Fell free to share your experiences, ERA.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tom and Jerry have given me so much. But the most important thing they have given me is that one meme of Tom pointing the FBI to someone. God I love that.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
There's one episode of Tom & Jerry where they freeze the kitchen and use it as an ice rink which used to enthrall me as a kid

Also I had a lot of pity for Tom, Jerry was psychopathic

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The one where Tom plays the piano is a masterpiece in comedy and animation. Right there with the Bugs Bunny Opera short.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
80 years! My dad and I used to watch this when I was a kid. He would record episodes on vhs. We both enjoyed it because you didn't really need to understand English to get it. Now I'm a dad.... Damn.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
This is my chilehood I watched ALL the time and I learned classical music From them incredible show.

also if your a fan make sure to follow.

Tom and Jerry no context (@tomjerrycontext) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Tom and Jerry no context (@tomjerrycontext). don’t you believe it. posts random tom and jerry clips. DM suggestions/requests are welcome. check my likes for memes. ran by @ThomasPussyCat

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I was always more a Looney Tunes kid but as I got older and randomly saw this cartoon I've been appreciating it more. It's really funny and while the each episode is the same overall story the situations are great in some of them.

I particularly love Tom trying to sing to the female cat episode and using Jerry to be presents and what not. Always gets me.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such a timeless classic for all ages. The series was already over 50 years old when I started watching it and it was as entertaining and modern as anything else on TV. To this day it's genuinely quality comedy and creative writing/drawing. Truly one of the greatests.

Deleted member 31140

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
My go to cartoon show that I watched as a kid. Tom & Jerry > Looney Tunes. This is not up for debate. 😌😤😏

I saw plenty of Tom and Jerry due to my parents buying some of the classic episodes, so I am quite biased.

Oct 27, 2017
The GOAT old school cartoon, bar none!

My fav scene of the whole series (the fucking dog laugh still gets me all these years later)

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Used to watch it all the time on Boomerang and loved it. Although there was an episode in which Tom spoke in a deep echoing voice and it messed me up for a while.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Dat Chuck Jones crispness™

Of Feline Bondage and The Milky Waif are probably my favorites, so good :)

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Ducking hate Jerry for whatever shit he gave Tom despite him doing nothing at all.

also why does spike take Jerry's side when he clearly sees that Jerry starts most of the shit?

#TeamTom

Oct 27, 2017
Old School Tom and Jerry is still the shit. The new stuff sucks hard (aside from Fast and Fury movie which is damn excellent).

Add me to Team Tom.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I can't believe it's still not out yet.

It's like the downside of consumer protests and boycotts. WB abruptly put the colleciton on hold indefinitely. I wish I had the "censored" collection, at this point.

The first volume is up there for the best classic animation collection ever.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
One of the greatest shows ever created.

I could never pick a favorite episode but I absolutely love the music from when they take the cruise to Italy.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's like the downside of consumer portest and boycotts. WB abrutply put the colleciton on hold indefinitely. I wish I had the "censored" collection, at this point.

The first volume is up there for the best classic animation collection ever.
I have the DVDs and imported vol 1 BR.

I get the censorship issues, but other collections seem to be ok with releasing this older stuff. Would be fine if it was edited