• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
unknown.png

It's crazy to think that it has been 2 years, despite the release feeling like it was yesterday. The game has been talked to death at this point, but I wanted to bring up the anniversary all the same as I didn't realize it was the anniversary until I saw Max's Tweet.

It's such a shame how things turned out, since there were some good ideas on display within the title. I wonder how long it'll be until we hear about the series again.
The Official Twitter hasn't posted since the game was added to Play Anywhere on Feb 27, 2018. The couldn't even be bothered to RT that the title was coming to gamepass.
I think the only real consolation at the moment is that Capcom is pretty good about letting people know when stuff is getting de-listed. Makes me wonder if Infinite will succumb to that fate as well.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hated this game.

I got it for dirt cheap on PC and still felt ripped off.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard it wasn't even the worst game ever but it was just a bad mvc with a shit roster so people were angry af?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The game that removed Marvel fighters from being at Evo.
We know it was supposed to be constantly updated, hence the "infinite", but we know how it turned out.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I had this on my wishlist, and Game Pass saved the day on this one.

I'd rather buy Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
From what I've heard it wasn't even the worst game ever but it was just a bad mvc with a shit roster so people were angry af?

The game had some terrible PR leading up to release in order to justify some of the unfortunate decisions. They were obviously stuck in an awkward position regarding the roster, but they made it so much worse when they spoke about it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The choices for newcomers were bad except Jedah, Ultron and X tbh. And then X's moveset was trash.

Black Panther should've been hype but he played like garbage too.

Last edited:

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Eugh, never again will I play a MvC game as long as it's actually good

btw it's also the first anniversary of Bowsette

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
"We haven't officially released the roster. Let's just say we think our fans will be pleased with what's being announced. And what we talked about earlier with games-as-a-service, we certainly expect Marvel vs. Capcom to be that. There's going to be content released over time. We're not seeing this as a one-off that ships this fall; it's a service that goes on for years."

I wish Marvel Games Senior Vice President Jay Ong would tell us what happened. 🙃

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Functions will be the only thing I ever associate with the game.

Quite possibly the stupidest single line I have ever read from PR.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I found an interview I had never seen before. Oh boy, I hope what I bolded in orange below doesn't happen ever again with any Capcom fighting game:

Q. So, the market in North America is large. Did your North American subsidiaries play a significant role in development, then?

Yes. We gave a lot of weight to incorporating ideas from Capcom U.S.A.'s marketing team into development, including direction and insights gleamed from research.

Oct 27, 2017
Great gameplay with poor art direction and a mediocre roster. Also a god awful story mode.

Still the best playing Mahvel game though, the systems are too much fun.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Winter Soldier's gun loops are so hype to watch.

All the newcomers played great except maybe for X, and Black Panther should also had a bit more damage for how complicated he is to use.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I found an interview I had never seen before. Oh boy, I hope what I bolded in orange below doesn't happen ever again with any Capcom fighting game:

If this is what I think it is. Dead Rising 4 and Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite busting the same year are more than just coincidence now. Seems there was a "Fuse" effect where someone was taking Market Survey's as gospel rather than a guideline.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I tried to like Infinite but couldn't. It was fun but the mediocre presentation and the boring roster didn't do much for me...

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I preordered the stone collector edition - $200 I believe. 2 months later it was discounted to $60

I played it a lot launch month. Then I decided to play UMvC3 again 'just for fun' and it clicked - I had WAY more fun playing UMvC3 than MvCI and after a month the online populations were about the same so... MvCI is a gateway drug to UMvC3.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
My boy X deserved so much better than the Vs. game he finally debuted in being such a flop. :(

Hopefully the next one, if there is one, just uses Infinite's roster as a base and builds onto it. No cuts. X was like 95% of the reason I was so hyped for Infinite.
Hopefully the next one, if there is one, just uses Infinite's roster as a base and builds onto it. No cuts. X was like 95% of the reason I was so hyped for Infinite.

But at least the story mode established X as unquestionably the most powerful character in the entire roster save for possibly Thanos, given he's the only other one who can handle using all the Infinity Stones at once!

Oct 25, 2017
Well I know max liked it, but if it was so good to play why did the tournament scene die in record time? You could do a lot of crazy shit in this game, but I don't think it was actually fun. BBTAG is basically the same concept with even more niche characters and that game is way better and way more popular.

Other games with good gameplay that don't light up the sales charts stick around like Under Night

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most fun FGs ever made. Plus, having such a perfect representation of Monster Hunter in a character was sublime. Being a GS and Bow main in MH, I felt right at home.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I preordered the stone collector edition - $200 I believe. 2 months later it was discounted to $60

I played it a lot launch month. Then I decided to play UMvC3 again 'just for fun' and it clicked - I had WAY more fun playing UMvC3 than MvCI and after a month the online populations were about the same so... MvCI is a gateway drug to UMvC3.

Hold onto those stones, one as a reminder on pre-ordering and two because well... it's one of the most infamous deluxe editions out there, and even infamy would make it have value in the long run.

There's a few gameplay changes that could be brought over, but the whole game felt undercooked and underbudgeted. Perhaps if it was given longer in the oven, even now you could have the X-Men and Fantastic 4 back. Still, game could have been amazing and there would have been a swarm that wouldn't buy it because of no Wolverine anyway.

I imagine we'll get an MvC4 next at some point. Hopefully the wait won't be another 10 years.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Well I know max liked it, but if it was so good to play why did the tournament scene die in record time? You could do a lot of crazy shit in this game, but I don't think it was actually fun. BBTAG is basically the same concept with even more niche characters and that game is way better and way more popular.

Other games with good gameplay that don't light up the sales charts stick around like Under Night

Being unstreamable sure didn't help the popularity of the game. Good gameplay can only go so far. It's also by far the uncoolest fighting game you can play in terms of perception so it turns a lot of people away haha

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
They got real lucky naming the game infinite because they can always deny its a maingame if they ever make a MvC4 and it somehow ends up being good.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
See I come into this already not liking the look of MvC3 (a controversial opinion I know) but man does it run circles around MvC:I visually. The ugly cutscene models are only a slight problem compared to how awful the actual models look.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic gameplay loved every second playing it probably my favorite out of the four games, but man everything else about it was shit unfortunately. From how it was handled, the roster and visuals, it could have done a lot better.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
An object lesson of how companies should not treat their brands.

You can really tell in the play how much love the devs had for fighting games but damn if it was poisoned from the outside in by a mixture of over management and under funding.

I still have hope for a true MvC4. Believe it!

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The Capcom side of the roster is so bad before the "DLC" characters that were clearly finished before the game was out.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
As Max once said in one of his MVCI videos, MVCI was set to die so we could eventually get the MVC4 we all wanted from the get-go. Sometimes a game has to sacrifice itself to move forward.

Personally I played MVCI for quite some time because I loved the series and the gameplay was a lot of fun. It became clear after a while how dry the game became in both presentation and the gameplay getting stale quicker. UMVC3 may have had more dumb shit you could do, it still almost made it more fun because of that shenanigans factor.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually think the game looks fine in motion though clearly the budget wasn't there, which is bizarre when you consider the popularity of the brand.

Still a ton of fun to play.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
At least X characters (Zero) got to be in other games.

Meanwhile, us Monster Hunter fans got jack.

Yeah, no, Zero's not even close to the same. I know that probably sounds crazy to anyone who doesn't know their Mega Man (not saying that's you), but anyone who is a huge fan of X — the character, not the series — will tell you Zero is not a stand-in for/the same as X. Trust me on this, haha.

Zero getting into MvC 3 without X on top of Mega Man being cut and THEN X being "added" as a costume for Zero were the main reasons I couldn't stand that game. Zero isn't a replacement for any Mega Man, despite Niitsuma's (very flawed) interpretation of the series, haha.

Also, regarding Monster Hunter... it sounds like you're kind of in the same boat as I, right? I finally got X and you finally got Monster Hunter (the character) in Infinite only for it to flop. My condolences. :(

(Though I do recognize what you mean about Mega Man having had representation in general before Infinite and not Monster Hunter.)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no, Zero's not even close to the same. I know that probably sounds crazy to anyone who doesn't know their Mega Man (not saying that's you), but anyone who is a huge fan of X — the character, not the series — will tell you Zero is not a stand-in for as good/the same as X. Trust me on this, haha.

Zero getting into MvC 3 without X on top of Mega Man being cut and THEN X being "added" as a costume for Zero were the main reasons I couldn't stand that game. Zero isn't a replacement for any Mega Man, despite Niitsuma's (very flawed) interpretation of the series, haha.

Also, regarding Monster Hunter... it sounds like you're kind of in the same boat as I, right? I finally got X and you finally got Monster Hunter (the character) in Infinite only for it to flop. My condolences. :(

I thought Infinite still did okay sales wise? Just not the megahit eSports "service" Capcom was hoping for.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best gameplay in the series. Shame it was in such an unattractive package.