• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest SNES games of all time launched in Japan on this day 25 years ago: Mega Man X. It spawned eight sequels, an RPG (Command Mission), two bite-sized games (Xtreme 1 and 2) and an admirable remake (Maverick Hunter X).

What are your favorite games in the series? Hopes for the future?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best game ever. Everything is perfect in Megaman X.

Don't @ me

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Was first introduced to the series as a 4 year old with Legends as well. Didn't beat it for quite some time as I mostly watched my older brother play. Love the games, especially X4, X , and X8.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Megaman game of all time. And ,unlike the classic series, the X series dropped off a cliff fast and never really recuperated. The X series had higher highs with X1 but the quality after that was all over the place. Classic is more consistent.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
X1 is one of the best games ever made, period.

Best reviews of the game out there

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
X4 was my first and favorite X game, but X1 is also amazing. First played it on the PS2 MMX collection, and I hope Capcom bring the series back with X9 similar to MM11.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to one of the best, Mega Man X was so freaking good.
Loved a bunch of the sequels too.

One of the greatest SNES games of all time launched in Japan on this day 25 years ago: Mega Man X. It spawned eight sequels, an RPG (Command Mission), two bite-sized games (Xtreme 1 and 2) and an admirable remake (Maverick Hunter X).

What are your favorite games in the series? Hopes for the future?
I loved Command Mission so much. As a huge fan of JRPGs it was such a great surprise getting a game like that.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Game did so many things right.

Even if I honestly prefer X2, overall, the first game is definitely one of the best games ever made.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
They got just about everything right with the first game. Even though several of the sequels are quite good I think overall they felt too meandering compared to the classic series sequels and they could never quite figure out how to iterate on the original in truly meaningful ways.

The only thing I would have changed is to make all of the upgrades completely optional and make the game beatable without them. I view them primarily as a mechanism for dynamically lowering the difficulty ingame through exploration, rather than picking easy or hard from a menu.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Best one in the series, hands down. (X4 is my other favorite.)

Hard, yet easy to believe that it's been 25 years.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Happy B-Day to one of my favorite franchises, ever. I remember, as a kid in the 90s, going to the computer lab in my school and printing out a bunch of X2 and X3 artwork, to put on the front of my school binder. My mind would drift to 21XX just looking at the pictures, as I sat through some boring ass history lessons, lol.

I loved X1 so much, growing up. Then X4 came about and rocked my world. I was there day 1 for X5-X7. And, I even managed to play X8 the year it released. Thanks for the memories, X.

latest

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We get the MMX Legacy Collections, and we might be getting a new game too.

Things aren't so bad, IMO.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could erase my memories and play this masterpiece once again.

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
My favorites include:

Megaman X5

lORjrSW.jpg

Probably my favorite X game, with X4 or X8 as a third. Also love all the story beats/lore as well ;)

Megaman X Command Mission

eADf3Un.jpg

This was one of my dream games when I was younger of having a Megaman X game combined into an RPG format, so I was super stoked when it was announced and when I got to play it :) (gotta love X's beam scarf!)

Would love to see another game like it in the future. (c'mon sequel! haha)

Megaman X4

UkyoGB0.jpg

The first time an X game came to PlayStation with anime cutscenes and playable X & Zero :)
The English voice acting wasn't the greatest, but still charming in its own way. Fun game to boot!

Megaman 8

V1US2pM.jpg

Megaman's first foray into the 32 bit era. With anime cut scenes, the introduction of Duo and Dr. Wily discovering and using the "Evil Energy", and the new robot masters and gameplay, it was a joy to play and left a lasting impression :)

Can't wait to see what a new X game could possibly entail! With all the "X-posure" ramping up thanks to the 25th anniversary, hoping we'll see a brand new game in the series sooner than later :D

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Best game series of all time for my money, and it's still the series I've poured the most time and effort into throughout the years. The series doesn't jump off the proverbial cliff either as some people say, as there are literally only two bad MMX games out of 8, and four of those six good MMX games are absolutely incredible entries. That's 75% of the series that's good, and 50% that's incredible. Don't know where this hive mind nonsense about the series's decline started, but at this point it's just regularly regurgitated BS and it's exhaustingly hyperbolic.
I'm hoping against hope that we get a new MMX, or at least a new MMZX or something, but I'm not holding my breath.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i got the game weeks early because of some shipment/retail snafu back in the day. this is US so i'm guessing that places it in jan '93 or something ... almost 25 years

it was quite a mind trip. i'd heard rumors of "super mega man" and i just expected mega man with prettier graphics but no capcom delivered on a whole nother level. not a fan of what the X series panned out to be but back then X1 was really something else

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love having MMX available on my Switch. It's just a shame the input lag is so goddamn atrocious. I still managed to play through the whole thing with it, but it could have been perfect...

The January 1994 issue of Nintendo Power was my first subscription issue of the magazine. It had Mega Man X on the cover and had a special silver cover for subscribers only. I had a Nintendo Power sub from then until the end.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If only they would treat the series with respect and release them without awful input lag.

Oct 25, 2017
I first played Mega Man X 23 years ago when I was still in Kindergarten. It was amazing then (even if Chill Penguin gave me trouble as a child) and it's amazing now. 💗 that game.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Happy B-Day to one of my favorite franchises, ever. I remember, as a kid in the 90s, going to the computer lab in my school and printing out a bunch of X2 and X3 artwork, to put on the front of my school binder. My mind would drift to 21XX just looking at the pictures, as I sat through some boring ass history lessons, lol.

I loved X1 so much, growing up. Then X4 came about and rocked my world. I was there day 1 for X5-X7. And, I even managed to play X8 the year it released. Thanks for the memories, X.

latest

I did literally the same thing. Mega Man was my first lore experience in gaming, really. I didn't have a PSX immediately and I was obsessed with X4 (even ig i don't like it much now haha) and would always print out this crazy good 90s art and sprite sheets and put them into notebooks.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
One of my first ever video games. Every kid growing up has poor taste for a bunch of shit games, but when my friend brought this over with his SNES, I knew we had something special.