• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I mean anything, whether it be panels or dialogue, out of context can see odd. Just last year this forum was freaking out over this same Darth Vader run because it ended on a cliffhanger of what they thought was a resurrected Padme. Turns out it was Padme's handmaiden Sabe. That thread was nothing but "ugh the comics suck" and "damn the EU was better" all because they lacked the context/jumped the gun.
I've read and liked the current vader comics but I will admit there are stories in them that make me go why. But honestly don't really like the main star wars comic all that much and rise of kylo ren can go in the dumpster where it belongs.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good thing he turned to the light side and became a ghost that could've EASILY told Luke about all these loose ends that he totally witnessed.

"Hey son, stop playing with that adorable green baby and hear me one sec..."

I like how seamlessly it all fits together!
The OP does give a possible theory to all that.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
8Um9wpt.jpg

Finally we know. Finally we know.

it's hilarious how nothing of the OT goes to waste. Every particle of dust had consequences

Were about to find out that Maul's legs now have a robotic upper half.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing he turned to the light side and became a ghost that could've EASILY told Luke about all these loose ends that he totally witnessed.

"Hey son, stop playing with that adorable green baby and hear me one sec..."

I like how seamlessly it all fits together!

Luke was literally looking for Exegol per RoS so maybe he did tell him.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
some users shitting on the comics but the vader comics are legit great, it's just 'Darth Vader from ROTS to ROTJ led a increasingly depressing life and every instance of him getting shat on by cosmic forces and/or palpatine becomes increasingly more complex as well' and it's just amazing

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The OP does give a possible theory to all that.

Sorry but it's the mother of all stretches. BFII shows Luke hunting for vague McGuffins. When it turns out Vader was there, he knows the name of the planet, he knows the location he knows everything about the Snoke clones, the thousands of Star Destroyers

"Go fetch a compass in a bug planet son"

The problem here is that Luke never ever found it despite having access to someone who got there and knew exactly what was going on. And even if he failed to find it alone, he sure as hell must've told Leia or the new Republic about the impending attack of this gigantic armada. That's some information he was withholding from literally EVERYONE if that was the case.

And this was Luke in his prime, that Luke would've rushed to stop Palpy 2.0, even if recklessly.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The EU was worse.

Much worse.

I still have fond memories of the EU, but I suspect that's because I stopped reading a few books into the Yuuzhen Vong crap (aside from the Zahn stuff, kept in for Outbound Flight etc). I hear Legacy of the Force was even worse lol.

EU was pretty good up till 1999, leaving aside KJA and Barbara Hambly books.

Oct 26, 2017
Did he get that hand from the same dealer Maz got Luke's lightsaber?

Also, I just remembered this is all technically canon. God, that must drive people insane who can't separate fictional material from other fictional material.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but it's the mother of all stretches. BFII shows Luke hunting for Mcduffie when Vader was there, he knows the name of the planet, he knows the location he knows everything about the Snoke clones, the thousands of Star Destroyers

"Go fetch a compass in a bug planet son"

The problem here is that Luke never ever found it despite having access to someone who got there and knew exactly what was going on. That's some information he was withholding from literally EVERYONE if that was the case.

And this was Luke in his prime, that Luke would've rushed to stop Palpy 2.0, even if recklessly.
Maybe it's not as simple as that? This is one of those cases of using your imagination which is a very common request in these EU Star Wars threads nowadays. People complain about Star Wars exploring every detail possible instead of letting people use their imaginations.

Well here's your chance.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Maybe it's not as simple as that? This is one of those cases of using your imagination which is a very common request in these EU Star Wars threads nowadays. People complain about Star Wars exploring every detail possible instead of letting people use their imaginations.

Well here's your chance.

"I dunno just imagine something"

Please, you first. And have it all make sense.

No really, please make it make any shred of sense.

The only way to avoid any kind of plot hole is by pulling a Korra and disconnect Luke from any access to the Force Ghosts through some BS....which would be one way to prevent fun character interactions...

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a retcon that Vader knew about Exegol? It was his wayfinder that allowed Kylo Ren to find it at the beginning of ROS.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed we finally get Luuke. The Thrawn Trilogy being re-canonized piece by piece!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Oh boy, the hoops Disney and future writers are going to have to jump through to clean up JJ's shit show is going to be wonderful.

As I said, the only real way to have this all make sense is by forcing a disconnection between Luke and the Force Ghosts that makes Anakin unable to tell Luke about any of this.

And losing all that potential for character moments and interactions in the name of fucking TROS is one pill I don't want to swallow.

Oct 25, 2017
ive been following this
these comics trying to cram TROS stuff into the OT era is only making things worse not better
honestly the comics barely feel canon, i dont feel like they ever get the voices of the characters right
every time something "important" happens in star wars comics it feels like fanfiction to me
feels like they have stricter canon control over the novels than the comics that are constantly just throwing shit at the wall
like when I read a canon novel I sometimes feel like im peeking behind the scenes of the movies, but most of the star wars comics ive read just feel like some nerd going "what if lol" I just dont respect it
and i dont expect any movies or tv to respect it either if plot points intersect
i know im an asshole but i cant shake this feeling any time i read most new canon star wars comics that are following OT characters, im just not buying it
they have their moments sure but on the whole i cant get into it
lol @ them setting up luuke, sure thing bud

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cross-Section

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
some users shitting on the comics but the vader comics are legit great, it's just 'Darth Vader from ROTS to ROTJ led a increasingly depressing life and every instance of him getting shat on by cosmic forces and/or palpatine becomes increasingly more complex as well' and it's just amazing
I still think about these panels every so often:
8Ng4aay.png

DLK7ZKW.png

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"I dunno just imagine something"

Please, you first. And have it all make sense.

No really, please make it make any shred of sense.

The only way to avoid any kind of plot hole is by pulling a Korra and disconnect Luke from any access to the Force Ghosts through some BS....which would be one way to prevent fun character interactions...
Verbal instructions aren't as simple as visual from the Wayfinder? The Unknown Regions are too complex to not have something like the Wayfinder? Go nuts. Sorry if I didn't satisfy your needs.

Note: When I say Wayfinder I'm also referring to Rey's path since what she sent the Resistance was a direct path read from the Wayfinder.

Feb 14, 2018
Man, if they're going to go ahead and do Luuke anyway I wish they would have done it in the movies. It would have been more interesting that what we got, would have given Hamill a really fun role, and would have actually made sense after Force Awakens (Maz teases how she got the lightsaber and then.... never explains).

I still have fond memories of the EU, but I suspect that's because I stopped reading a few books into the Yuuzhen Vong crap (aside from the Zahn stuff, kept in for Outbound Flight etc). I hear Legacy of the Force was even worse lol.

New Jedi Order series was alright. Had its ups and downs, but the highs were pretty high.

Legacy of the Force was awful. However you skipped over one of the worst EU series, Troy Denning's atrocious Dark Nest trilogy. You don't want to know how badly it screwed up the lore, the characters, and the tone of Star Wars, but I'll just tell you it involved bug orgies and that's not an exaggeration.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

I'm more saddened about the fact that one great fucking comic such as Vader now has to get all messy and open a ton of plot holes to try and fix the mess one JJ Abrams created.

This goes for every single one of those creative poor souls right now racking their brains trying to make anything make sense.

I don't blame this on the Vader comic writers one bit.

Verbal instructions aren't as simple as visual from the Wayfinder? The Unknown Regions are too complex to not have something like the Wayfinder? Go nuts. Sorry if I didn't satisfy your needs.

Note: When I say Wayfinder I'm also referring to Rey's path since what she sent the Resistance was a direct path read from the Wayfinder.

All of those reek of "C3PO totally knows how to read Sith but can't say anything" poorly written BS to force a problem into the heroes.

This is the force we're talking about. There's no need for Verbal instructions when you command a force that can create life like visions in full 4K HD.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
As I said, the only real way to have this all make sense is by forcing a disconnection between Luke and the Force Ghosts that makes Anakin unable to tell Luke about any of this.

And losing all that potential for character moments and interactions in the name of fucking TROS is one pill I don't want to swallow.

Force ghosts being able to tell characters everything in general is a bad, bad idea that tears the mysticism out of them completely

It's better if they can only interact in limited ways. Make it so that conversation Obi-Wan and Luke had in ROTJ be an outlier.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Force ghosts being able to tell characters everything in general is a bad, bad idea that tears the mysticism out of them completely

It's better if they can only interact in limited ways. Make it so that conversation Obi-Wan and Luke had in ROTJ be an outlier.

While I completely agree with the bolded, we are way way past that point, and have been since ROTJ.

TLJ and TCW just amplified the point that ghosts can "Visit" you and give you information.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A good question, this. "Vader was there" feels a bit retcon, but in broad strokes it's more just yeah filling in a void.
The 2 Wayfinders in the movie in particular are Palpatine and Vaders so the movie sort of establishes Vader at least knew about the place if not had been there.

But like almost all of star wars. it gets expanded in the books, comics etc. I mean the Episode 3 Novel is so good at expanding Episode 3

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
They're gonna have to spend so much time justifying TROS' nonsensical plot through the EU when it would be easier to just never mention it again. It's full of so many stinker decisions that just drag down the characters and the lore, I'm excited to get into the High Republic stuff that can't be tainted by it

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

TLJ established that Force Ghosts can FUCK SHIT UP WITH LIGHTNING.

We're way past mysticism, for better and for worse (mostly for worse, of course)...

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know a lot of people hate them but the Star Wars comics since the merger (especially Darth Vader and Dr. Aphra) are the most interesting and enjoyable experience I have had with the franchise since the OT.

Of course I also don't care how 'canon' or connected to other plot lines as long as it's an enjoyable read while I am actually reading them month to month, and the current Vader rebuilding himself and his legacy from scratch is no exception to that.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
New Jedi Order series was alright. Had its ups and downs, but the highs were pretty high.

Legacy of the Force was awful. However you skipped over one of the worst EU series, Troy Denning's atrocious Dark Nest trilogy. You don't want to know how badly it screwed up the lore, the characters, and the tone of Star Wars, but I'll just tell you it involved bug orgies and that's not an exaggeration.

Lol, glad I was already checked out.

Old EU already did this. I think it might have been Heir to the Empire where Ben said to Luke that due to the amount of time that had passed he basically had to move on to another realm and wouldn't be able to talk to Luke anymore.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
This is the shitty result of TROS.

The comics have been REALLY good since the reset of canon, but eventually they were gonna have to start dealing with the BS that Rise brought into the fold.

Expanded materials did a really good job with prequel material because there were a decent number of genuinely good concepts there even if the execution was awful. Rise suffers from having awful concepts AND execution.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Legacy of the Force involved Han and Leia's son going evil and killing family members before being killed and redeemed in an ENTIRELY unearned and anticlimactic way.

If that all sounds disturbing familiar, congrats, you now know how readers of the old EU felt when the plot and script for TROS was leaked...

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, go all in. Say that the Luke from TLJ was a fucked-up clone and that the real Luke is still out there training to go Super Jedi God Super Jedi Ultra Instinct x20 so he can take down the Dark Side turned Rey in the Second Sequel Trilogy. Maybe then you'd shut up the fans.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This looks cool. I've been biding my time for omnibuses for these recent Vader arcs, as I found them to be really good early on but got behind and never caught up.

I don't think Anakin's ghost has shown up since ROTJ. And every time a ghost shows up it seems like a big event, with only Qui Gon and Obi doing it repeatedly. I don't think it's odd Vader never told him, I'm sure he saw plenty of evil shit. I don't even think Anakin's ghost came back a lot in the EU?

What the hell. One of the cool things that I saw Disney doing with the new canon was making sure Darth Vader was extremely powerful. Like, compare Jedi Fallen Order with The Force Unleashed...

That goes completely in the other direction. Unless the context makes a huge difference?

Isn't Palps "the strongest force user in the galaxy" the one doing it to him?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the way star wars stories handle lore is so fucking bad lol

they take these cool little bits of texture from the main trilogies and then stamp out any semblance of mystery, it's always A -> B

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This looks cool. I've been biding my time for omnibuses for these recent Vader arcs, as I found them to be really good early on but got behind and never caught up.

I don't think Anakin's ghost has shown up since ROTJ. And every time a ghost shows up it seems like a big event, with only Qui Gon and Obi doing it repeatedly. I don't think it's odd Vader never told him, I'm sure he saw plenty of evil shit. I don't even think Anakin's ghost came back a lot in the EU?

Isn't Palps "the strongest force user in the galaxy" the one doing it to him?

Anakin is Space Jebus though...

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Luke has not been shown to ever communicate to Anakin's ghost though.

Force ghosts since the start have been problematic as there is tons of issues with "why didn't that ghost say this or that". And then we got them spilling beans and knowing all kinds of knowledge clearly about whats going on yet don't ever seem to want to just help out? So much Obi One would have known and could have helped the Rebellion yet he never did.