• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I was a developer for 10 years and I worked too many hours and sacrificed too many social events.
My worst year was when I was 22 and I worked 21/52 weekends for a project.
I wonder how many people here work in the gaming industry and are thinking "lol, is that all?".

Now that I'm a manager I do try and ensure people don't work many weekends or late nights - I've kicked people out of the office at 7.30pm.
But on the opposite side, I have clock watchers on my team - at exactly 5.00pm they'll log off their PC and run out the door.

The truth is, I'm not sure i can count on folk like that in case of emergency.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Some companies just require you to work nights and weekends because they're an international 24/7 operation. Saying any company that needs weekend/night workers is "broken" is an equally hot take.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I worked nights, holidays, and weekends in my twenties and now I work regular hours. Going from a floor nurse to an office nurse.

I kinda miss my crazy night shifts though.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It really doesn't matter how hard you work, the moment your bosses don't like you/find a justification to fire you for whatever reason , you are done . You should never be super loyal to a company, only person you should be 1000% loyal to is yourself (when it come to your work life).

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember way back when I worked at a Barnes and Noble. One of my coworkers always volunteered for every weekend and closing shift (which meant you stayed until midnight), always covered for any other employee that called out sick. Always stayed late if the manager needed her to, always was the first to sign up to work Black Friday or Christmas Eve. She was basically the best employee the store had. Eventually, they made her head of the children's department and it looked like she might be a manager...

...Only for her to be busted down back to a regular employee when a new store manager came in who wanted to have people she'd brought over from her old store in leadership roles. The coworker protested that she deserved a leadership role. The new manager responded by cutting her hours until eventually she quit. All that hard work and effort amounted to nothing and last I heard she became a barista at Starbucks. Meanwhile, another coworker who just did what was asked of him and never overachieved became head of the music department, because he sucked up to the new manager and she grew to like him.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
One of my first managers on my career paths laid out the same shit: If you constantly have to crunch that's a profound process problem. It's important to have work/life balance.

In my experience since then I've found that to be true. I don't mind having to do late nights once in a while or weekends once in a while. Sometimes it happens. But when it's nearly constant? No.

Life tip: Be a hard worker but know your worth. Cause these jobs will often have no remorse using you up and tossing you aside when you naturally burn out.

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to america. Where you break your back for the people who don't. Now go complain about how much the needy take while you mindlessly shrivel away day in and day out for the rich.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
I actually agree but not in the way that seems to be implied in the OP.

9-5 or whatever is when you do work for whatever company that you probably don't like. Nights and weekends aka your off time is when you are supposed to work on your passion and/or whatever it is that you really want to get paid to do.

Going to work everyday and coming home doing nothing is the best way to never achieve any sense of financial independence. Slaving for a company will also usually get you nowhere.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
My job cares way more about the quality of your work and survery score more than the quantity of work you do.

It's not a good look if it's taking more than 40hrs to do the same amount of work everyone else does around here. Granted, if you do want to work your ass off, go for it. Nobody is going to stop you and the incentive pay for going past your production goal is pretty good.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a twitter user so I'm probably wrong but I thought a ratio'd tweet meant more people commented on it than hearted it?

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I still remember way back when I worked at a Barnes and Noble. One of my coworkers always volunteered for every weekend and closing shift (which meant you stayed until midnight), always covered for any other employee that called out sick. Always stayed late if the manager needed her to, always was the first to sign up to work Black Friday or Christmas Eve. She was basically the best employee the store had. Eventually, they made her head of the children's department and it looked like she might be a manager...

...Only for her to be busted down back to a regular employee when a new manager came in who wanted to have people she'd brought over from her old store in leadership roles. The coworker protested that she deserved a leadership role. The new manager responded by cutting her hours until eventually she quit. All that hard work and effort amounted to nothing and last I heard she became a barista at Starbucks.

That's just retail. Fairness and merit isn't practiced in retail in general.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
My only problem with it is that it's total nonsense. What the heck does "changing the world" even mean. What does MLK have to do with Alexander Hamilton and Margaret fucking Thatcher? It's just a bunch of bullshit for tech nerds to pat themselves on the back for bending themselves over a barrel for their bosses.
Especially since MLK would have hated that way of thinking

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I worked some nights and some weekends. I'm doing it in my 30s. It helped me. It also shouldn't be the norm.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I'm not a twitter user so I'm probably wrong but I thought a ratio'd tweet meant more people commented on it than hearted it?
Usually, it goes Likes > Retweets > Comments
So this still qualifies as "ratioed", but it's not one of the worse, since there aren't more comments than likes

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I want to do and contribute the least that I can to faceless corporations.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why are these things always not only from techbros, but cryptobros. 99% of these dudes aren't known in any capacity, much less remembered. Their contributions mean less than your typical retail worker but they get so far up their own ass.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Gotta love barely middle class folks running to be grinded into dust by their employers willingly. Idiots, every single one.

I do my 40 then I'm out. I don't even want to do 40 but I sure as hell ain't doin 50-80 so some CEO can buy another yacht while I tell myself "I'm helping change the world"

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with having big goals. People should be encouraged towards that. The too cool to care attitude is shit, I would much rather associate with someone who has passion and dedication.
Big goals does not mean change the world. And, people who are legit trying to change the world are not going to proclaim it on Twitter.

Oct 27, 2017
I was in my 20's a lonngg time ago and the only way I'd put hours like that in is I was the owner of the company

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I worked nights and weekends in my 20's because I worked for a hospital and the new people get the worst shifts. I'm not sure what effect this had on my career.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, fuck that. If you're that dedicated, then start your own business and at least work nights and weekends making your OWN dreams come true instead of someone else's.

In other words:

I was in my 20's a lonngg time ago and the only way I'd put hours like that in is I was the owner of the company

this

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Typically it's more Comments than Retweets, since a Retweet is an explicit endorsement. (despite what Twitter bios say otherwise)

oh ok, the posts on the op don't even show retweets I think. I don't know 🤷🏻‍♂️. Dude is an idiot though. I gave up way too much of my life for a job that needed me 24/7. Never again. Not worth it at all.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is wrong.

Your tombstone is going to read 'he lived well', not the correct answer which was 'he worked hard'.

Ha indeed.

To expound, I worked freelance as an artist on a few popular film title sequences about 10 years ago. After weeks of working 7 days a week, 12 hour days, I upped and left. They tried the old 'exposure! turning your back on this client?!', but it was all worth it. Your health, mental well being, and pursuing what you want to do is the most important thing in life.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
There is some truth to that tweet, but it depends heavily on the job or career. A good teacher gets paid the exact same as a bad teacher, and a hard working teacher gets paid the exact same as a lazy one, so long as the lazy one does just enough to keep their job. Someone who is delivering packages for Amazon and works a lot of extra hours, will only accomplish more delivered packages for Amazon. If you're in a company with career paths where promotions mean higher compensation, more stock etc., then yes there's some truth to it. That promotion is probably going to go to the person who's working their ass off and getting things done, not the one who's walking out when the clock punches whether something is finished or not and while the rest of their team is still working. Some might call it exploitation, and maybe it is in some cases, but OTOH it reeks of entitlement to not put in the effort that others do and expect the same positive results.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter how much work you do, what matters is how much work you're perceived to have done.

lostconst

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone here's an accountant, you've heard of our "busy season." Public accounting firms (PWC, KMPG, etc, the people who sign the 10k saying, "in our opinion, the financial statements are materially presented correctly") tend to work people to an impossibly high degree—I mean, three months straight of 8am-12am. And you're expected to just swallow it because hey, that's how it works. Never mind that the companies make millions off your work, or that they set unrealistic deadlines, or even that they could give a toss about you.

Fuck anyone who expects me to work a second over 40. Hell, I'll barely do that some weeks. I respect my end product, but after dealing with public accounting, I am done giving any company anything more then my bare minimum. Focus and develop your passions outside work: family, creativity, hell, gaming.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Prime example why I could never live in San Francisco. This mentality runs thick up there and it's the worst kind of people just doing laps around each other in a never ending rat race which they label as "hustling".

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I love that it's always white techbros whose "world changing" start ups are 5 months from going under.

Work smarter, not harder. Especially in tech - push for work from home days, push against weekend/night work. Push to make your deadlines reasonable! Nothing makes you more respected in the office than standing up to the business side and standing up for your developers. They want you to work nights/weekends? Tell them to fuck off.

I worked nights and weekends in my 20's because I worked for a hospital and the new people get the worst shifts. I'm not sure what effect this had on my career.

That's way different - this would be working those shifts in addition to a day shift.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I get the spirit of that last tweet, but how is making someone else rich "changing the world"?

There's a difference between spending 80 hours a week running for office, and working 80 hours a week as a mid-tier dev at a random startup. You're only changing the world for the worse.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Working nights and weekends is a process problem only if it's constant. If you're working 60 to 80 hour weeks 45 weeks out of the year, yeah that's a problem. I work for a company where the vast majority of our work comes in about 2 months of the year. We hire temps but there is only so much you can do. It's not a process problem it's just the nature of the industry. We're given a lot of freedom the other 10 months, I just know that from around mid November to mid January I will be hitting it pretty hard. Because of that if i get asked to work a night or weekend here or there the rest of the year i don't really complain.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I love that it's always white techbros whose "world changing" start ups are 5 months from going under.

Work smarter, not harder. Especially in tech - push for work from home days, push against weekend/night work. Push to make your deadlines reasonable! Nothing makes you more respected in the office than standing up to the business side and standing up for your developers. They want you to work nights/weekends? Tell them to fuck off.

That's way different - this would be working those shifts in addition to a day shift.
Ah. At least when I did that I received overtime pay!

Oct 27, 2017

Class traitors are the worst.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
9-5 or whatever is when you do work for whatever company that you probably don't like. Nights and weekends aka your off time is when you are supposed to work on your passion and/or whatever it is that you really want to get paid to do.

Going to work everyday and coming home doing nothing is the best way to never achieve any sense of financial independence. Slaving for a company will also usually get you nowhere.
The corollary to this is that working on your passion project on nights and weekends, with strictly the end goal of financial independence, can leave you in a worse position, with respect to financial independence, than working 40 hours a week on salary. It's all dependent on specific circumstances.

Either way, the percentage of people who achieve "financial independence" from a passion project or a salary-based job are both likely in single digit percentages.