• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
can't believe they signed off on that wide-ass A, those fools, those buffoons. thank god they fixed it eventually

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
im old as shit, owned a genesis and a bunch of sega shit through out the years....and this thread just taught me that SEGA is a contraction of Service Games..or would it actually classify as a portmanteau?

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
here ya go boss

YZynRvBF_o.png
Lmfao

"we sought to modernize the logo to better represent our visions as a modern company, but that hint of blue will remind consumers that we're the same old SEGA they knew and loved!"

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I almost made the square a circle because Sonic, but then I decided that not only should it stay a square, but the shade of blue should be wrong and shitty.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Its a nice logo that been used for so long that its basically iconic. Which prolly means they can't change it. I really do like the lighter blue of the JP one though.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
m i n i m a l i s t

unique style and character are unbecoming. everything, flat vectors!!!

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
im surprised its even still used. its so 70s
What's crazy is that I have thought it is timeless like many others, but seeing the copyright date and looking at the logo again, it is SO 70s.

Also blown away that Service Games was around in 1945...what kinda games were they even making? Competitors to Nintendo in the playing card biz?

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Also blown away that Service Games was around in 1945...what kinda games were they even making? Competitors to Nintendo in the playing card biz?
According to Wikipedia, they were in the slot machine business at that time.

Also, I agree that the logo is both 70s and timeless. It definitely has a 70s aesthetic to it, but compared to most old logos this just holds up. I really hope they don't pull a Namco someday.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people didn't know it meant Service Games. Wait until you hear about Pocket Monsters. It's a funny name since it is based on English, yet sounds like a Japanese word (consonant+vowel) and then that's where they moved.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
There have been dozens of companies out there changing their logos for the worst.

Sega don't need to change a damn thing on theirs, and I applaud them for not chasing the trend.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I like the lighter blue of the JP version of the logo, it reminds me of the blue skies of 1990s Sega games.

Yes, very odd start.

Basically an American company in Hawaii selling slot machines to US army. After being outlawed in 1945, after the war they setup in Tokyo for US bases in Japan and gradually it became Sega that we know today.

I'm more surprised that it was founded and run by Americans until the mid-'80s, I always assumed it was a purely Japanese company.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not only was SEGA founded as an American company, but they were also responsible for importing some of the first Nintendo games to hit the states such as the 1976 version of Wild Gunman.

Gaming history is fun.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I recognize that multi line style of font used in a lot of 80's stuff (and I guess 70's), but I never once thought of the Sega logo as retro or old fashion. It just always looked modern to me, no matter when.

It's just timeless

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Perfect logo. They've probably saved thousands of dollars in rebranding costs by getting it right early.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
This and nintendo are perfect logos that should never changed. We know that nintendo slightely have changed colours to represent the era, but they were no major changes and returned to use in red or white now.

And i even enjoy some of their more historical logos for nintendo and service game that predate the now classic ones, but would only use them for anniversaries as a cute historical touch.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
https://segaretro.org/Sega_logo

Some cool info here on the Sega logo, including the fact that they're two different official shades for the Japan and international markets, with Japan's being lighter
Hmm, that's interesting. Might explain why I kept seeing mainly two different shades on the logo in the Forza decal selection. My favorite player-created liveries are the SEGA ones, there's some cool ones out there like Astro City etc.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if it was released today there'd be people here who suddenly become typeface design experts and nitpick that the letter A looks too separated from the rest and shit

as there is in every new logo thread