• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
xFjwpXU.png

OpvWaEv.png

New EIC doing wonders for the site already, huh?

I literally thought those were joke posts...

Drachen

May 3, 2021
That's cool and all but he's still loud, annoying, aggressively generic and the other party members are much more unique and cool looking.

edit: lol at people getting in a tizzy over this title? i didn't even think anything of it.

Sep 23, 2018
Three reads of that .
Three reads of that headline for me to fully understand what they were trying to convey. And yes I already knew what all of those words meant.
Either I'm failing here or Kotaku have awful headlines.

English is my first language and English literature was my main area of academic study so I'm going with the latter.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I guarantee you people on this very site (let alone on Twitter) would've referred to Jack as a fuckboy without thinking they were saying anything wrong.

In fact, a more "measured" take at Kotaku would likely have said he was generic, which quite frankly is a meaningless criticism because apparently ANYTHING can be called generic now. I'll take "normie fuckboy" because I at least know exactly what they mean, even if I don't agree.
I mean that doesn't account for the weird "sister's first scumbag boyfriend after she left for college" line. It reads like the author has beef with a fictional video game character lol

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku, the pinnacle of journalism.

It's obviously meant to be a joke (unless the author has issues), but it's also articles like this that make people not take them seriously.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm kinda disappointed that I gave them a click. I actually wanted to see other armors options to see how the character would look later and didn't get much.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But I also believe Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin would have enjoyed a much better reception from fans had Square Enix revealed the game with the lead looking maybe 30 percent less fuckboy. No one wants to play a Final Fantasy game as their sister's first scumbag boyfriend after she left for college.

oddly specific

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I love how mad Ian Walker's pieces makes people. Ian's FGC articles always get the most predictable kneejerk reactions and I'm glad to see it being shared with other genres.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Headline is funny

article is funny AND informative, like a good preview should be

lot of suppressed anger in this thread tbh. I'm looking forward to seeing how kotaku changes under Patricia Hernandez.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People usually complain that FF characters look too ridiculous and now they look too normal. They can't catch a break can they.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Three reads of that .
Three reads of that headline for me to fully understand what they were trying to convey. And yes I already knew what all of those words meant.

English is my first language and English literature was my main area of academic study so I'm going with the latter.
888.jpg

Anyway I love this headline, I think it's hilarious. Anyone offended by it needs to get a grip.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Three reads of that .

But i understood it immediately??

Also this seems like a pretty correct use of normie fuckboy, not sure what all the fuss is about...

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
This is hilarious. Everyone gives Nomura shit for putting a thousand belts on Rufus and y'all get mad when he's like, fuck off, here's a guy in a v-neck and jeans. GFY

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Why is era so offended by the usage of fuckboy?

The title just seems like something that makes sense to a modern audience.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Fellow forum-goers, it's a joke post. Shitposts and serious articles are able to belong on the same website.

Oct 25, 2017
Era: Relentlessly dogs joke-of-a-game Origins
Kotaku: Tongue and cheek title on said game
Era: enters cardiac arrest

Three reads of that .

No seriously is there some competition for most out-of-touch serious gamer™ on here?

I got to say for as dumb as his design is, calling him a fuck boi and centering the issue on him really is missing the real issue.

The overall art is the odd thing, from lighting to the designs and even the upgrade armor is just not good. It lacks the FF flair. Honestly if this series can have characters like VII's Cid (ya know another angry white dude) then Jack could work if the rest of the art felt like FF.

Granted I love the Chaos Memes and don't like Jack but this just seems odd as an article.
i mean, Jack is still a pretty big fucking issue. On top of everything else I simply do not want to play as this guy. There's a reason why this type of character fell off back in the late 2000s

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Jack looks many a fuck boy I knew in college lol. Varieties other than frat boy or long hair.

Read the headline once and instantly understood it, some real oldies here lol

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i mean, Jack is still a pretty big fucking issue. On top of everything else I simply do not want to play as this guy. There's a reason why this type of character fell off back in the late 2000s
Lol I mean I don't disagree.

Thing is though Jack is only one small part of the issue, the art and design that gave life to him is in all aspects of the game.

Changing his look and armor to traditional Warrior of Light will not improve the look/design of the game.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending clickbait titles or anything, but that one got a laugh out of me. So that's something.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
If it gets the views...

I'll admit, I always gave Kotaku a pass because of how entertaining the headlines are.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The title is fun. ERA, once again, is taking a joke too seriously.

Kotaku has been absolute dogshit since Totillo left but...this is a pretty fun article title.