• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Good Luck OP! Don't give up. It gets a little easier every day. Not smoking is such a massive health benefit. This chart always comforted me when I went through cessation.

20 Minutes After Quitting:
  • Your heart rate drops to a normal level.
12 to 24 Hours After Quitting:
  • The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
  • The risk of heart attack is significantly reduced
2 Weeks to 3 Months After Quitting:
  • Your risk of having a heart attack begins to drop.
  • Your lung function begins to improve.
1 to 9 Months After Quitting:
  • Your coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
1 Year After Quitting:
  • Your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
5 to 15 Years After Quitting:
  • Your risk of having a stroke is reduced to that of a nonsmoker's.
  • Your risk of getting cancer of the mouth, throat, or esophagus is half that of a smoker's.
10 Years After Quitting:
  • Your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a smoker's.
  • Your risk of getting bladder cancer is half that of a smoker's.
  • Your risk of getting cervical cancer or cancer of the larynx, kidney or pancreas decreases.
15 Years After Quitting:
  • Your risk of coronary heart disease is the same as that of a nonsmoker.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
Good luck. I essentially quit cold turkey almost 5 years ago (time flies). It sucked but reading the book "How to stop smoking and Stay Stopped for Good" helped.

I still MISS taking a drag, like I just want one sometimes, for the enjoyment.
I miss this more than anything. It's an experience that's unique to smoking (and vaping). At this point, I'm probably not going to get much enjoyment out of it though.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I went cold turkey 15 years ago and there is not a day that goes by that I don't still crave it. The craving never went away for me, but after 2 years of quitting it no longer caused anxiety or withdrawls in me. I still have dreams where I'm smoking and every once in a while I get phantom tastes of smoke in my mouth.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Also quit cold turkey after 29 years smoking almost 5 years ago too. Though I had a pretty compelling reason to do so. Good luck.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
I went cold turkey 15 years ago and there is not a day that goes by that I don't still crave it. The craving never went away for me, but after 2 years of quitting it no longer caused anxiety or withdrawls in me. I still have dreams where I'm smoking and every once in a while I get phantom tastes of smoke in my mouth.
Oh wow, I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I still get the dreams and every once in a while I'll wake up tasting smoke. I also never stopped craving either.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quit several times using the patch/gum and ended up relapsing every time.

Finally quit for good by going cold turkey. It do work.

It sucks but it works. You got this.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I quit smoking cold turkey and 7plus years up to two packs a day.

It can be done.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Good luck. I smoked for about 12 years, I had to quit five or six times before it finally stuck.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Man this kills to hear. I've seen it with my dad. He's even had a few health scares and has been at it for almost 50-freaking years, and can't let it go. His health is in shambles, his mental state about quitting is super resistant as well (he's yelled at me proper for pitching/pursuing quitting) and he just can't. Ironically, his addiction only bolstered my resistance to trying it (but probably not my exposure to TONS of second hand).

Sorry, not meaning to ramble. Point is: I get where you both are coming from. Addiction is so hard to deal with, and some of these substances are literally designed this way, and I very much applaud your strength and conviction to stay tough against it. Withdrawal is honestly frightening, so Rag well done detoxing that out of you (beer/alcohol shits are the worst and a clear sign that junk in any high amount is poison) and K Jack you're doing great for yourself and your mum too (cigs affect everyone's health, so keeping others in mind is very conscientious and sweet).

Thanks for the encouraging words.
If you have rituals around your smokes (after dinner, before bed, etc) those should be the first ones you try to cut. Once you get rid of the ritualistic smoking, the rest follows fairly easy.
Ritualistic smoking was basically my addiction. I had specific times I had to smoke and if I missed those I was really irritated. I figured out by speaking to my doctor that it was symbiotic to my OCD.

Once I started slotting other activities into those time slots things fell into place for me pretty rapidly, like you said.

I also gnaw on these flavored chewsticks all day, which sate my oral fixation.

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
I quit cold turkey in June. Just got tired of smoking cigarettes and having existential conversations with myself about how I am literally killing myself. Like do I want to die faster? Do I want to live longer? What the fuck am I doing>

Working from home actually helped immensely because the gas station right next to my office when we had to go in made it too easy to just go over and buy packs.

I still MISS taking a drag, like I just want one sometimes, for the enjoyment. But now I have the pressure of not disappointing my mom, who is so proud of me for once. I feel like I have to keep going.

It sucks but you can do this. Just take it a day at a time. If you try to look at it in longer time frames than that you may lose focus and trip up.

June this year? How are you now? Do you still think about it?

I know it's only been one morning for me but after the initial HARDCOREEEEE craving this morning and pushing through, I feel damn amazing and I feel my heart much calmer than usual

Ooo I do feel a bit Light headed though, whoosh when I got up off the sofa

JaY P.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradise
Quitting cold turkey was the only thing that worked for me. I remember taking a lot of naps the first week. After the physical withdrawals it was the ritual/psychological habits that challenged me. Exercise, especially cardio heavy activities, helped me overcome these habits. Played a lot of basketball and did plenty cardio at the gym. After about a month I was able to be around my smoking friends again.

You can do it. When times get hard be sure to remind yourself why you are quitting. Good Luck to you friend.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck!

If you can't manage to do it, I'd recommend trying a low powered nic salt vape. I did quit smoking a while back but I'd always fall off the wagon. Now I use a Caliburn Koko with custom made juice at 20mg strength and go through about 2ml a day. It's now roughly a $1/day habit instead of a $5-10 one.

Obviously it's better if you can quit altogether, but know that there are decent alternatives out there that can kill the craving for cigarettes for good.

Just make sure you start at a low enough strength. Don't go with a 50mg Juul which can lead to an even stronger nicotine addiction.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
June this year? How are you now? Do you still think about it?

I know it's only been one morning for me but after the initial HARDCOREEEEE craving this morning and pushing through, I feel damn amazing and I feel my heart much calmer than usual
Yeah this year. I set a serious goal of having quit by my birthday (in September), and wanted a head start in case I fumbled along the way.

I feel good, really good. The weight I feel in my lungs is lighter, my breathing isn't as heavy. I lost 10 pounds.

I think about smoking all of the time. I enjoyed the physical act itself. I suffer from depression and the thought of "what do I have to live for anyway" kept me smoking for a long time. Total defeatist shit. I quit and won't go back because it's proof to me that I have a future worth living to see, that I'll give my self the best chance at realize my potential and won't fuck it up by hastening my chances of contracting cancer right when I reach the promised goal.

I can't have faith and hope while simultaneously inhaling death, willingly. There is a contradiction there that was fucking with my mind. I had to break out of it.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck OP. I don't know how long you smoked, but the withdrawal symptoms are quite bad if you smoke 2-3 packs a day. Hang in there.

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck OP!

Quitting smoking wasn't so hard for me [in the end].

Once I got into vaping and tried to quit that... let's just say it didn't happen.

Got used to WAY TOO MUCH nicotine, and even after two months clean my stomach and dick didn't work right...

As soon as I got back on the vape I could poo and have sex again.

Trying to wean off slowly now... :(

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Good luck OP! My Mom quit cold turkey and had a VERY rough time of it at first but she just passed 15 years being a non-smoker in August, she is the best...

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good luck. I quit Jaunary 1, 2020 after smoking for almost 25 years. TBF, I still smoke weed, and I occassionaly vape nicotine, but none of that made quitting cigarettes any easier.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
You got this.

I did the same back in 2017. First month was tough but it gets stupid easy after. Haven't thought of it for years either.

Drink lots of water, focus energies elsewhere. Especially at cravings.

Oct 27, 2017
Exercise daily. Bike riding, hiking, skating, etc. Keep active and focus on some hobbies. You need to replace that addiction with something healthy.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quit smoking 5 months ago with some will power and a bit of help with nicotine gums at the beginning. Have saved over $800 since then!

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Oh wow, I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I still get the dreams and every once in a while I'll wake up tasting smoke. I also never stopped craving either.
Stay strong! I envy those that stop getting the cravings. It's all willpower and staying away from other smokers for me.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Quit smoking 5 months ago with some will power and a bit of help with nicotine gums at the beginning. Have saved over $800 since then!
I'm at 5 months too. It's so stupid how much money it is when you really brake it down, but great to really see the perpetual accumulation as more time goes buy and we aren't burning the money.

Stay strong fam.

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Congratulations OP it is a tough road but well worth it.

Advice time:
You have to transition from self identifying as a smoker to identifying as a non-smoker. When I quit the idea of never having a cigarette again filled me with dread. But I received similar advice about self identification and I think it helped me process the life changing reality of being a non-smoker.

Good Luck!

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
First few days are the worst! Good thing it's the weekend. If you can, try to lock yourself in and keep yourself distracted. Good luck to you.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations OP it is a tough road but well worth it.

Advice time:
You have to transition from self identifying as a smoker to identifying as a non-smoker. When I quit the idea of never having a cigarette again filled me with dread. But I received similar advice about self identification and I think it helped me process the life changing reality of being a non-smoker.

Good Luck!

This is great advice. Rejiggering how you frame yourself and smoking in general is vital.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Good luck! I quit cigs back in December of last year after about 15 years of smoking. I had some help with quitting thanks to an oral surgery and smoking would've caused issues with the healing process, so I used that as my time to quit. After about a week it became much easier.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at 5 months too. It's so stupid how much money it is when you really brake it down, but great to really see the perpetual accumulation as more time goes buy and we aren't burning the money.

Stay strong fam.

I used my savings toward the iPhone purchase I just did. Felt good lol

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Best of luck! I quit in 2014. Would still have one on occasion for a while, then didn't have one for maybe four years, but I do occasionally have one now as an emergency anxiety relief tool. I have one pack for the whole year. Still have half left. Feels good to be in control.

Oct 27, 2017
going cold turkey. its something ive wanted to do for a long time now, but i keep making excuses. i know people say cold turkey quitting anything is insane, but i find it works the best for me. i quit alcohol, most junk food, bad relationships (lol) cold turkey. so, here goes

wish me luck!

Good luck OP! You can do it!

I gave up smoking going on 8-10 years ago now. I tried patches and all sorts of dumb shit in the past, but eventually after coughing my ass off one morning just decided enough was enough and went cold turkey. Thankfully it stuck and that was that.

I think you just reach a time where you get sick of it and it's time. At that point there's no going back.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
going cold turkey. its something ive wanted to do for a long time now, but i keep making excuses. i know people say cold turkey quitting anything is insane, but i find it works the best for me. i quit alcohol, most junk food, bad relationships (lol) cold turkey. so, here goes

wish me luck!
Good luck!

👍♥️

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say I'm feeling absolutely fantastic after a hell first few days. No cravings, the headache I used to wake up from everyday with the withdrawals symptoms which went away after the morning smoke, the extreme cravings throughout the day, all gone. I feel so brand new. I don't even think about them anymore :D

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
keep going op. never smoked more than a few bar cigs but quitting alcohol is a bitch

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to say I'm feeling absolutely fantastic after a hell first few days. No cravings, the headache I used to wake up from everyday with the withdrawals symptoms which went away after the morning smoke, the extreme cravings throughout the day, all gone. I feel so brand new. I don't even think about them anymore :D

I'll be with you soon on this. I've been cutting down and am setting a date.

NO MORE SMELLING LIKE ASS!

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Best of luck! I quit in 2014. Would still have one on occasion for a while, then didn't have one for maybe four years, but I do occasionally have one now as an emergency anxiety relief tool. I have one pack for the whole year. Still have half left. Feels good to be in control.

Props on your progress but youre not really in control if you allow yourself to smoke period. Cut it out completely and rid this dangerous habit completely.

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be with you soon on this. I've been cutting down and am setting a date.

NO MORE SMELLING LIKE ASS!

when's the date! Do it man, I feel amazing honestly! It's only been such a short time since quitting but everything has improved

sleep
Mood
Smell
Taste
Headaches
Energy

if this is how it is after one week I can't wait to feel it after one year!!!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, nice work. đź‘Ť