• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
At the end of my Command and Conquer Remastered video I made a visual and audio reference to "Breakin'2: Electric Booglaoo" when talking about the possiblity of a sequel to Command and Conquer.

Thinking for years the "dot dot dot boogaloo" referenced silly secondary title additions to sequels, like "Die Hard 2: Die Harder" if you remember that tagline/undertitle.

After some DMs and reading a comment under the video, I learned that this has phrase been apparently turned into a white supremacist keyword. And I am honestly floored.
Much like the pepe thing, even a silly dance movie sequel name has been ruined by racists.

It is honestly just an incredibly shit feeling these days where you cannot escape racists and their ideology even in the benign realm of pop-culture jokes.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
yup, apparently boogaloo is now a codeword for what is essentially a new civil war

someone correct me if I'm wrong

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Boogaloo, you say...

AmsPuCB.jpg

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah Boogaloo, Igloos, Hawaiian Shirts have all been coopted by Alt Right with regards to Civil War 2.

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
White supremacists/nazis/neo nazis are woefully unoriginal. Whether it's coopting the hindu sign for peace (THE IRONY), boogaloo, the okay finger sign.

Oct 27, 2017
For people that claim "SJW's are mindless NPC parroting 'Orange Man Bad'" they sure parrot a lot of rhetoric and memes from other folks. Ironic, that.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
At some point we need to stop just going "well they're using it and now thats what it means" - this is going to get ridiculous.

Y'all can't let them just ruin everything by virtue of them deciding to use that already established word/thing.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Article I found while trying to figure out how or why. No clue if Vox is allowed or not, if it ain't, tell me and I'll remove it.

www.vox.com

The "boogaloo" "movement," explained

"It’s essentially a joke that people wrapped a bunch of different stuff in."

Either way, fuck these guys.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
They're getting involved in the current protests fyi
www.alternet.org

Far-right ‘boogaloo’ militants have embedded themselves in the George Floyd protests in Minneapolis: ‘They want their civil war’

Young, white men dressed in Hawaiian-style print shirts and body armor, and carrying high-powered rifles have been a notable feature at state capitols, lending an edgy and even sometimes insurrectionary tone to gatherings of conservatives angered by restrictions on businesses and church gatherings d

Oct 25, 2017
The ruining is intentional. They are trying to poison the well and basically turn people paranoid about what is and is not a racist symbol to create friendly fire. It works exceedingly well.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they made the joke with Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo, and then just using Boogaloo as shorthand and to obfuscate what they're really talking about. Now they've moved to soundalikes like "big luau" or "big igloo" to even further distance themselves from the original term.

It's all about plausible deniability and going "why are you upset that we're wearing Hawaiian shirts or have igloo flags" much like the OK symbol has been co-opted so they can go "it's just the OK symbol isn't nothing bad". Classic fascist tactics.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Yeah, they love to coopt shit and then when called on it they get to claim that you're being paranoid, or they were being ironic.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Yeah, I learned this a few weeks ago when I mentioned to someone boogaloo would be a cute pet name (you could shorten it to boogie, which is equally cute). Guess not.

Hawaiian shirts, on the other hand... that's news to me.

Oct 27, 2017

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
At the end of my Command and Conquer Remastered video I made a visual and audio reference to "Breakin'2: Electric Booglaoo" when talking about the possiblity of a sequel to Command and Conquer.

Thinking for years the "dot dot dot boogaloo" referenced silly secondary title additions to sequels, like "Die Hard 2: Die Harder" if you remember that tagline/undertitle.

After some DMs and reading a comment under the video, I learned that this has phrase been apparently turned into a white supremacist keyword. And I am honestly floored.
Much like the pepe thing, even a silly dance movie sequel name has been ruined by racists.

It is honestly just an incredibly shit feeling these days where you cannot escape racists and their ideology even in the benign realm of pop-culture jokes.
I raised my eyebrows when you said this on the c&c video but then figured knowing you that clearly you just weren't aware of the connotation these days. I agree it sucks how racists and trash people ruin everything.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Why do these arseholes get away with co-opting stuff? I too like attaching "Electric Boogaloo" to hypothetical sequels and I also have a couple of Hawaiian shirts I like to wear when I'm barbecuing in the summer. Can we take these things back?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Everything y'all say gets co-opted by white supremacists because it's you saying it. You saying it gives them deniability under your smokescreen, which is why more people need to be vigilant about it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
They better not take this from me:
Fear_of_a_black_hat.jpg

-Don't shoot until you see the whites.
- Of their eyes?
- Whose eyes?

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
So at this point they've co-opted Pepe the Frog, the 'ok' hand symbol, milk, Hawaiian shirts, 'Electric Boogaloo', igloos, 'based', 'cuck', 'simp', anime PFPs, that McDonald's moon man mascot, and greco-roman statues.

Am I missing anything?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
First they came for Pepe, and I said nothing, as it's just a dumb meme frog.

Then they came for the OK symbol, and I said nothing, because I don't use the OK symbol that much.

Then they came for Electric Boogaloo, and FUCK THOSE NAZIS, this aggression will not stand!