• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
As the title says, today, 10 years ago, we all lost an incredible mind, not only in the world of animation, but in film in general. Satoshi influenced a lot of people and movies in the way he edited and how he viewed the world of dreams, time and space in such an unique way. In his almost 10 years in the spotlight, Satoshi directed 4 theatrical anime movies (Which ranged from psychological thriller, to Christmas comedy-drama) and one incredible anime series. Sadly, Kon passed away while working on his 5th movie and it seems the project will never be finished.

I will leave here the trailers of all his work, because there's nothing else do to but let his work let do the talking.

Paranoia Agent

If you have even the slightest interest in anime, and even if you don't, don't miss the chance to check his work. Also, obligatory Every Frame a Painting about Satoshi Kon, because his work could never be praised enough.

Which if your favorite movie? How it was your first experience with Satoshi Kon unique brand of mind-bending filming?

Edit. Forgot to add. Fuck Cancer, dammit :(

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
8u4M.gif

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this stuff looks good. I only know of Paprika, but I guess I'll have to look into the other films as well now.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo Godfathers is probably my favorite. Everything he did is wonderful though. Even the one minute short he made is great. Tragic that we didn't get to see what else he was capable of.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I took my friends to Millennium Actress when it was in theaters last year. They were taken aback by how much they enjoyed it. One of my favorites.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i was weirdly obsessed with Paprika around the time. i'd bring the dvd to get-togethers or what you could loosely describe as "parties" and everybody was like 'uh...' yet i forced them to watch it all the way through

then shortly after satoshi died i was all kinds of devastated. to be god honest it still hasn't registered in my mind yet

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
One of the all time greats

RIP

(reminder that Paranoia Agent hits blu-ray in the US later this year - October I think)

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I still need to watch Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue. How are the Blu-Rays?

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Paprika is absolutely my favorite piece of anime in existence. Its sad that we will never get more work from Kon.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Paranoia Agent is Kon's only TV series as Writer and Director, and it's one of the best anime ever made

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a unique presentation of anime he showed.

You have no idea what's coming to you if this is your first time watching his movies, PLEASE give them a try.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's a shame The Dreaming Machine will never be finished. I wish they would release what has been finished and fill in the unfinished footage with storyboards.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
An incredible talent and a tragic loss. Paranoia Agent predicted the world we live in. Hard to say what we would have seen from Kon if he were still with us today.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame The Dreaming Machine will never be finished. I wish they would release what has been finished and fill in the unfinished footage with storyboards.

I'm sure that if they Kickstarted it, they would be able to secure all the funding needed to finish it.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
nearly ever Kon project where he's writing has to do with people in many different forms

people as they project themselves, people as they sell themselves, people as they convince themselves, and people as they really are

each movie/tv show has several takes on that, how others view you, how society reacts to you, how stigmas can change and form all by themselves

powered buy fear, or fame, or jealousy, or social media

Kon was ahead of the curve

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
After I got behind on Paranoi Agent, I just couldn't bring myself to finish the series. I should try to force myself to get around to it someday

OP
OP
Cess007

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Paranoia Agent is Kon's only TV series as Writer and Director, and it's one of the best anime ever made

I remember watching the whole thing in a single night. I couldn't stop watching.

I'm sure that if they Kickstarted it, they would be able to secure all the funding needed to finish it.

According to the head of Madhouse, the thing it's not only the money, but that nobody seems to be able to replicate Kon unique way of filming:

For 4~5 years, I kept searching for a suitable director to complete Kon's work. Before his death, the storyboard and script, even part of the keyframe film was already completed. Then I thought, even if someone can mimic Kon's work, it would still be clear that it's only an imitation. For example, if Mamoru Hosoda took the director's position, the completed Dreaming Machine would still be a good piece of work. However, it's Hosoda's movie, not Kon's. Dreaming Machine should be Kon's movie, him and only him, not someone else's. That means we cannot and should not "compromise" only to finish it. I spent years, finally reached this hard conclusion

He seems more OK with someone taking the core idea and creating a different film tho

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
According to the head of Madhouse, the thing it's not only the money, but that nobody seems to be able to replicate Kon unique way of filming:

He seems more OK with someone taking the core idea and creating a different film tho

Didn't Kon want his team to finish it tho :(

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I remember reading his last blog post/letter some days before he died when be thanks a lot of people and talks about his last days, it was trully a sad thing going through his words...fuck cancer now and forever

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
All of his work is fantastic, but Perfect Blue and Magnetic Rose are truly phenomenal. One of the greatest directors anime or otherwise of all time.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
if you haven't seen it before, here's a short film he made (1 min long) that i think is the last project he finished (might be mistaken)

www.youtube.com

Ohayo (オハヨウ) Satoshi Kon

Corto realizzato nel 2008 da Satoshi Kon nell'ambito del progetto Ani*Kuri, un'idea del canale giapponese NHK che vanta la partecipazione di quindici tra i p...

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Absolutely brilliant man.
I remember reading what was essentially his 'goodbye' letter to fans/family and it shattered me.

We were deprived decades more of amazing art from him- but those close to him were deprived more time with what seemed like an incredible human being.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Short youtube doc on his editing style I like to watch if I want to be inspired to create something.

Satoshi Kon - Editing Space & Time

Oct 27, 2017
A real tragedy.

I wish all of his films/tv shows were more widely available.

Also baffling and a shame that his final film was never completed.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent are excellent. I also really like Magnetic Rose, which gets overlooked because he didn't direct it, but he did write and storyboard it. (The fact that it's buried in an otherwise mediocre anthology film probably doesn't help either.)

Liked Tokyo Godfathers too. Millennium Actress and Paprika left me cold but I should probably rewatch them. I know the former got a new dub recently, was that any good?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is imo arguably animations greatest loss - not anime, all of animation - given he was so young. His films are so incredible and he was so early in his career, yet so productive. I can't imagine what he would have been able to accomplish.

still makes me genuinely sad, man

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
Millennium Actress is still an all-timer for me. Anime doesn't get any better than that. Need to find time to rewatch his whole oeuvre.

Also if people are looking for more Satoshi Kon fix, there's this nifty little short called Magnetic Rose from the anthology film Memories that he wrote at the beginning of his career. It's prob the closest thing I've seen that resembles an anime version of Alien (though with Kon's trademark surrealism):

And if you like manga, there's a nice little volume he made called Opus that's a pretty good short story. Although it's not "finished," there is sort of an ending to it. His other works, Tropics of the Sea, Seraphim, and Dream Fossil aren't that good.

soujir0u

Jul 16, 2020
I love all his films but Millenium Actress is probably my favourite. I watched it in an arthouse theatre when it first came out and there was a standing ovation when it was over.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly a masterful director.

His characters always felt so natural, so human. My family isn't into anime whatsoever and yet, I had no problem recommending and watching Tokyo Godfathers with them around last Christmas. There's just this maturity to his works, with no reliance on tropes, either. Then you add the legitimately great premises, storytelling, and some of the greatest damned transitions and what's not to like?

All I've seen from him is great, with Perfect Blue being my favorite. Damn if that film isn't as relevant as ever. As are most of his works, I suppose.

RIP

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Any Satoshi Kon fan ought to familiarize themselves with the "real" millennium actress - Setsuko Hara.
1QLw2V5.png

Not only is it a good way to get familiar with golden age Japanese cinema, it's also practically essential for getting the most out of Millennium Actress, which might be his best film.

polyrizumu

May 15, 2018
Perfect Blue is one of my favourite films of all time, so damn good. I've been meaning to pick up the novel it was based off of but I'm not sure if it's been localised?

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
What a phenomenal filmmaker. Perfect Blue is a masterpiece. Losing him was such a tragedy for the medium.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
It's too bad he never made more manga. Really liked Opus and would have loved to read more of his stuff. Don't really know what my favorite Kon movie is. For longest time it was Millennium Actress but some how it has lost some of it's luster after all these years. Maybe Perfect Blue. Paranoia Agent is close but it's bit uneven.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
It's a shame, he truly was one of a kind. No one really fills that role anymore. Millennium Actress is probably my favorite, but it's all good shit.