• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I've just been depressed all day. Why do I even wake up in the morning. I'm tired of doing the same damn thing every day. Why am I here?

Oct 27, 2017
Username checks out.

Happy Birthday, OP! I hope you have a good one. Just take it easy and do whatever makes you happy today. I know life isn't easy with COVID and whatever else might be going on in your life, but hang in there and try to make the best of it. You deserve to be happy!

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry you feel that way but it's okay to feel however you feel. It's your birthday so maybe try giving yourself a break.

Happy Birthday 🥳.

Oct 29, 2017
Could always try something random to throw in the week. I started going to a nearby park and writing up short stories. Or paint with bob Ross.
Happy birthday!

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Happy Birthday man!!! I hope you feel better, maybe try doing something that makes you happy, but it's your day, you have a right to feel like whatever you want

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I don't really know how to help. None of us know the answers and lots of us feel similar. Days are blending together, most days are the same. Do something different than usual. Read, write, or draw or try listening to music. Maybe talk to someone...are you getting much social interaction?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Happy New Year ExhaustedWalrus! 🎉
Enjoy dessert or some guilty pleasure movie/game. Or better yet, treat yourself to something new!

I had to right off more than a couple birthdays in my life (work or life) but always try to put in time for you and some time for your mind to be at ease.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've just been depressed all day. Why do I even wake up in the morning. I'm tired of doing the same damn thing every day. Why am I here?
Happy Birthday, duders!

How old are you? The reason I ask is that when I was in my early 20's, I hated life and thought I would never be happy or be successful.

Let me tell you what... at 44, I've been married for almost 17 years, halfway done paying off my home, got my degree (took a while) and am finally making middle-class money, I have a son who I would both kill and die for, and I'm generally pretty damned happy with my life. The point is that shit changes. Be open for it. Fuck anyone who makes you feel bad for being who you are. You do have to make some moves and no one can help you there. Relax, get through this fucking pandemic, then get out there and have some fun.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This week sucks. It's really not just you. I had a complete breakdown on Monday morning and I've felt like absolute garbage ever since. The constant onslaught of bad video game news this week doesn't help.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Birthday!

Things might suck right now but that doesn't make your day any less special.

I would totally blow off what isn't mandatory and some fun hobbies like building gundams or playing video games. But I'm not too sure what hobbies you like exactly.

You could post them here and we can talk about the best way to liven things up a bit with them

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's my birthday as well today funnily enough, unfortunately have to work for most of it, fortunately it's a training day. Got a joint party planned on the weekend with a friend who has their birthday on Sunday (We got games and movies planned for it).

Hope you can find someway to make your birthday special. It should be celebrated after all.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Happy b day, OP. Sorry to hear yours wasn't as fun as you wanted. Mine was pretty boring too my birthday was just another day for me.

*hugs* Hope the rest of your year is better. :)

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
It was my birthday today, I slept until 9pm. I never got celebrating myself.

Happy birthday, by the way!

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Happy Birthday. Tomorrow's my birthday and I can kinda relate. I just shut off my birthday thingie on Facebook cuz I don't want all those birthday greetings from people I barely know.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks everyone. I don't want to quote everyone but thanks for the birthday wishes. It's good to know I'm not alone. This week and month has just been shit for reasons I'm not ready to get into.

Happy birthday dude. How is that new tv of yours?
It's awesome. I've gotten a lot of use out of from the PS5.

Happy Birthday, duders!

How old are you? The reason I ask is that when I was in my early 20's, I hated life and thought I would never be happy or be successful.

Let me tell you what... at 44, I've been married for almost 17 years, halfway done paying off my home, got my degree (took a while) and am finally making middle-class money, I have a son who I would both kill and die for, and I'm generally pretty damned happy with my life. The point is that shit changes. Be open for it. Fuck anyone who makes you feel bad for being who you are. You do have to make some moves and no one can help you there. Relax, get through this fucking pandemic, then get out there and have some fun.
I'm 25 today. I currently have a stable 9-5 job, but it's leaving me with a lot of longing. Not to mention I have a lot of debt that I owe in loans and credit cards that's making me nervous all the time. And I feel like I can't talk to anyone about because they'll judge me. That on top of being alone pretty much all day has made me sad.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
That checks out. Birthdays after a certain point are less of a celebration and more of checkpoint on your way to the grave.
Don't worry about it. If there's something you want to do, just do it. Go for a brisk jog, nuzzle in with a warm blanket and rent a movie from your watch list.

I feel the same way dude, but you just keep moving forward and do things you wanna do.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Birthday ExhaustedWalrus !!!

I'm really sorry to hear about you struggling :( I know when you're struggling it can be hard to think of better things but I promise you that you matter, that you are important and that many people care about you even if sometimes it might not feel that way.

What are some things you like to do for fun?

Also sending you lots of hugs

0a1652de311806ce55820a7115993853.gif

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Happy birthday dude!

Honestly it's normal to feel that way sometimes. I feel like that pretty often but always end up finding joy and motivation where I least expect it, even if it isn't right away. Don't let your mind keep you down, there's a lot to this life we get to have.

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA
You feel like shit right now but it wasn't always that way and it won't always be that way. I know that probably isn't much help but it's something I always fail to see when I'm at my lowest. I don't even know ya' but I wish you a heartfelt Happy Birthday. Hang in there, eh!

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Hey happy birthday!

Listen we all go through bad times but hand in there!! If you ever want to play some casual online mp on ps5, hit me up!

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Happy Birthday OP.
I don't know how old you are.
When i hit 30 i felt exactly like you, i was nowhere in my life and i felt like all the energy spent on a daily basis was for nothing. I didn't do shit that day, turned off my phone and just stood on pc listening to my music library.
It's been only 3 years and now I'm married, bought recently my 1st house and basically life is completely different (for the better). Don't let a day own you. It's just a day. You gotta make a move here and there though, don't expect good to just come and knock on your door, do your thing and take life as it comes. It's the most precious gift you were given.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Happy birthday, dude!!!

I know things might seem pointless now but things can always turn around. Much like the user above me I wasn't in a good place for about seven years but now at 33 my life has completely changed for the better. It's always good to hold on to hope. Best of luck, buddy.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
Happy birthday! Try to reflect on your life, appreciate how far you've come, and recognize what you've accomplished.

When I turned 30 a few years ago, I pulled my back getting out of bed. That more or less set the tone for my 30s so far.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Happy birthday, didn't you land a new job recently? Congrats on that too!
I did. It's going well so far, I've only been there a little over 2 months.
Hey happy birthday!

Listen we all go through bad times but hand in there!! If you ever want to play some casual online mp on ps5, hit me up!
Thanks, I will keep that in mind :)

For everyone asking, I turned 25. It's young I know, but I feel like I'm having a quarter-life crisis.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The good news is that eventually you stop giving a shit about your birthday, so hang in there. More important that you find folks that will treat you well all year 'round.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium

For everyone asking, I turned 25. It's young I know, but I feel like I'm having a quarter-life crisis.

Hey dude! Happy birthday!

My 25th year on this globe was one of my hardest. It made me realise a lot of not so positive things. I tried escaping those by using drugs and became addicted.
I can promise that you have a choice, even though you probably feel paralyzed because of loneliness and nervousness right now. It's nothing you can't handle, I'm sure.

Have you tried talking to a professional? I started doing that around the same age and it made all the difference to me.
It's okay to feel like shit too, but you can't keep this up. Do something you like doing, no matter how silly or small it might be. While doing so, try reflecting on why you love it so much and try discovering similar things.

Try focussing on things you can control. That debt is going to be there for some time, unfotunately.

And last, these are really strange and effed up times, don't forget that. Good thing is the end is in sight! You got this, man!

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Happy birthday, dude.
This is anecdotal, but for what it's worth, I've noticed a lot of people seem to get into this kind of funk around 25. I did, for sure. Maybe you feel like the path you're on is set and it will never change. (And that feeling is especially cemented by the pandemic.) But it's not going to be like this forever. Things can and will change. Just keep pressing forward.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Happy birthday, dude.
This is anecdotal, but for what it's worth, I've noticed a lot of people seem to get into this kind of funk around 25. I did, for sure. Maybe you feel like the path you're on is set and it will never change. (And that feeling is especially cemented by the pandemic.) But it's not going to be like this forever. Things can and will change. Just keep pressing forward.
Thanks I appreciate it. Living through this time while I'm still relatively young has been so taxing on my mental health.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Happy belated birthday broski. That birthday funk seems like a common thing the older you get imo. When you're a kid it's the shit but as an adult it's like "shit what have I accomplished?" At least you got a PS5 lol. You are one of the elite.

That reminds me that my birthday is coming up...

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I feel you. I've been feeling like shit lately. Happy birthday, though. Hope you eat some great food.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
You have reached your low-point and this is when you can drastically change your life. I was at this point some years ago and I did somethings to help change my feelings at the time. One suggestion is to reach out and find a mentor; someone that is not a friend. You want this person to not be a friend because they will give you advice from experience and tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. It can be a gut punch, but it helps to hear an outside perspective.

The one thing I did was focused on myself and worry about others after my mental state was where I wanted it to be. My mentor helped me with this. He was brutality honest and it sucked, but with that honesty came ways for me to improve myself.

Focus on you OP. Remove the negative out of your life and focus on your base now. Not many people reach the low-point because some have safety nets in place - parents, wealth, friendships, partnership etc. Time to build your foundation. It will take a while, but you can do it. Focus on you.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Happy birthday! It's ok to feel shitty on your birthday. I have had some bad ones myself. Things get better with time. You may not believe it or be able to see that right now, but it's true. Hang in there and try not to make too big a deal out of your birthday.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to sound presumtuous, but you seem to make a lot of these type of topics. Have you considered seeking help?

That said, birthdays are nothing, I try to just treat it as a normal day as much as I can. The less attention put on it the better, I don't really see the point in celebrating such an arbitrary thing.

Last edited: