• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We not only now have an official upload of the preview to Toby Fox's piece of music in Pokémon Sword & Shield, but also a letter from him in pure Toby style explaining how he managed to get involved in the soundtrack of the upcoming new Pokémon game:

Hi everyone! I'm Toby Fox. Have you heard of me before? Well, that's 'cause I just said my name. LOL

Jokes aside, aren't you interested in how all of this happened? Well... OK. I'll tell you, I guess.

Once upon a time, I created an RPG game called UNDERTALE. For one reason or another, it seems a lot of people from GAME FREAK ended up becoming fans of this game.

One day, I noticed Go Ichinose-san, one of the composers for Pokémon, was following me on Twitter, so... I messaged him out of the blue.

Eventually, we became friends and I was able to meet many other people from GAME FREAK, too! After eating sukiyaki with members of the company one day, we went to a cafe. There, I ordered a bottled green tea and selfishly, randomly asked if I could make a song for Pokémon someday...

... they said yes! Right there in the cafe, they immediately told me a concept for a song I could make, and, as I walked home, my heart was burning with inspiration... a melody entered my head, and as I stumbled past salarymen in the dark, I sang it to myself over and over so I wouldn't forget it!

In the end, that song... became the song you can hear in the game!

It's a fierce track full of explosive power. I wanted to show the energy and passion I felt when asked to create a song for Pokémon! Yeahh! Let's get wild, baby!!! Ah, but wait, wait a second. It's the only song I made, and you can't hear it until you beat the game, so... make sure you enjoy GAME FREAK's music properly first, OK!? Adachi-san and Ichinose-san worked hard.... Don't rush through the whole game just to hear my song.... (No one would actually ever do that.)

Oh, and this goes without saying, but it's a huge honor to be allowed to make music for GAME FREAK! I'm so, so happy and thankful I was allowed to do this. So please look forward to the song, and to Pokémon Sword and Shield, as well! Yamper yam yam!

PS - If you like it, please let GAME FREAK know. They might treat me to sukiyaki again. (No one would ever actually do that.)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Toby Fox is a goddamn treasure and I am so happy for his continued success. This is such an amazing opportunity for him.

Edit: The song is excellent too. Imagine a whole Pokémon game with Toby Fox quality music. I can dream!

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Love Toby Fox and his music and that track is great. Shame it seems to only be a post game thing. Maybe a legendary encounter battle theme?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Toby Fox getting close with Nintendo to ask for the Earthbound license. Smart.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
His writing both feels exactly like EarthBound and genuine to himself. Toby is a god

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Toby at this point has basically had all of his idols befriend him and tell him how much they admire his work. He's living it in a way few people ever get to

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I truly feel like Toby is a genius. He's already accomplished so much in his young career as a dev and composer, and this is just the beginning. I think Japanese devs like Sakurai and Masuda already know he's going to be a big deal some day

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
How can someone not FUCKING LOVE Toby Fox?

Jesus Christ, the guy is such an adorable genius.

Edit: OH MY GOD, I just listened the track

Goddamit! Straight outta Undertale. Love it.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I hear this guy's name I end up listening to Undertale songs for the next hour-2 of my life.

THANKS TOBY FOX

I'm on it for the past 6 days, non stop. Don't know why, though...

Just opened Spotify a few days ago, played the Undertale OST to give me some motivation (not intended... kinda), and yep, I'm addicted to Toby's music all over again.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wondering when they're gonna let him design a Pokemon...

Kind of feel sorry that his work is associated with the most controversial media release in history though.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Such a nice piece, I'll keep an ear out for it in the game. Gives me Gen III vibes too.

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
Can't wait to hear the music in this game!

This theme sounds so HYPE though, so there must be some good post-game content!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought you were talking about Starbound to be honest.
I think I recall Joker being called the most controversial media release in history facetiously so I adopted that for SwSh lol.

I think though Toby Fox will probably be held up as the unequivocal good thing about the game now.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
" It's the only song I made, and you can't hear it until you beat the game, so... "

Man, Toby deserves better. That song is great. It HAS to be a special kick ass fight in the post game.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is why when Toby said he was unsure if he could assemble a team for Deltarune I had no doubts

Guy has made fans all across the industry. Wouldn't be surprised if he's got publishers and devs knocking his door down when they heard he needed help making it.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this is why when Toby said he was unsure if he could assemble a team for Deltarune I had no doubts

Guy has made fans all across the industry. Wouldn't be surprised if he's got publishers and devs knocking his door down when they heard he needed help making it.
Hell, Game Freak does non-Pokemon games pretty regularly, and they're not tied specifically to Nintendo. I could see them cutting a deal here. I'm sure there are folks working there who would love to do a 2D RPG between Pokemon titles.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
That song is super identifiably Toby Fox-y and I'm super okay with that. It's really good. I really can't wait to hear what he has in store for the rest of Deltarune.