• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Toby Fox tweeted this out just now, along with some tweets as a sorta' development update:

UNDERTALE was released 4 years ago today... kinda feels like just yesterday though. I want to share some small things from DR but I want to do another small progress update first. The design of the actual game and the specifics of what happen are going really well. I have a lot of confidence in the game that is currently written in my notes. At least, I think people that enjoy the things that I make, will enjoy it. That's all I'm ever aiming for. There are other aspects that are facing some hurdles, but they'll definitely get overcome. Trust me when I say that, although I want to take my time making an excellent game, I also want to get the game into peoples' hands as quickly as possible. Seriously.

---

UPDATE:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Why is he so ridiculously good at composing music? Can't wait for chapter 2 and Little Town Hero

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I am literally so hyped for this (despite how long it could take)

Love the song!

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Updated the topic as I missed he also tweeted out a development update, and talking about how today four years ago Undertale came out.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
man, 4 years and i still listen to the Undertale soundtrack constantly

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Oh he's going in with the teases! Another one:

EDIT: Beaten by a bit, but yes.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
7e6abe351ade543517bf659b08bbd5216b49cee2r1-1920-1080v2_hq.jpg

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
hopefully he's gathered a splendiferous team to work on Deltarune and it's all coming along well

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the images used for the videos alone speak volumes about where the plot is going next, even if both of the things they seem to confirm are things that a ton of people already guessed already. Even if we already knew them in theory, though, they still kind of say a lot in practice. I imagine the next Dark World segment is going to be slipped into outdoors judging by the amount of pavement and the type of toy car that the Annoying Dog is in (which will probably have a different driver in the game proper?), and we've gotten our first look at Dark World Noelle from the back here. Which mind you, that's a VEEEEERY cleric-y look, which also kind of begs the question of what happens with Ralsei since that was kind of his job in Chapter 1.

But for now, we get those things to chew on, don't we? That and nice music.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Which mind you, that's a VEEEEERY cleric-y look, which also kind of begs the question of what happens with Ralsei since that was kind of his job in Chapter 1.
I'm honestly not sure that the dark world will manifest Ralsei for Kris again so soon. Being reminded of Asriel all the time really isn't helping them right now.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
huh, I was browsing PC Game Pass today and decided to finally play Undertale, and I had no idea it was exactly 4 years that it first released lol

Jan 9, 2018
The new tracks are great, Toby Fox the GOAT.

Also, I guess I missed some extra scenes with Noelle during my own playthrough of Episode 1, didn't realize she would become more important later but that's pretty cool.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey the Noelle theories were correct.

I hope Toby sneaks this in next year and gets GOTY. Sounds like they have maid good progress.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm the opposite, oddly; I feel like Undertale has been around forever, but that's probably because I played the demo so long ago. I think the Undertale soundtrack is probably my most listened to soundtrack of all time, it's just so freaking good. One of the times I've been most proud of Spain is when we did an Undertale concert:

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the opposite, oddly; I feel like Undertale has been around forever, but that's probably because I played the demo so long ago. I think the Undertale soundtrack is probably my most listened to soundtrack of all time, it's just so freaking good. One of the times I've been most proud of Spain is when we did an Undertale concert:

One thing Undertale music lends itself well too is a lot of the songs are adaptable into so many styles, that combined with its popularity has lead to so many amazing covers and performances. Toby makes so many catchy and memorable tunes that charge themselves well with the experiences he intends they do make an impression, and I think it's telling the OST for Undertale in particular is both really good on it's own to just listen to, but becomes even better when you have the context of the songs as they fit perfectly.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
So I've already played through undertale once. Am I missing any parts of the story that would require me to play it again? Like do the pacifist runs I hear about make that big of a difference

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
So I've already played through undertale once. Am I missing any parts of the story that would require me to play it again? Like do the pacifist runs I hear about make that big of a difference
A lot of the fan base flips out and screams that the pacifist run is the only correct way to play, but it's not a huge factor. If you got invested in the characters and want to learn more about them, along with why a lot of the world is the way that it is, then pacifist would be a good time. It does give you a lot more story, but it's more of a bonus on top of the main story (plus a better ending).

Jan 3, 2019
I think a lot of what makes the game's narrative special comes from the two "special" runs. I don't think I can clarify why without some heavy spoilering though.