• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for being vague. I have an app I can't get rid of that we all know is being spied on by a certain Orwellian Government using technology to control people. I have family and friends in that country and might visit every now and then. I can't get rid of the app because that's how I can be in contact with friends and family there.

While I know they spy on me, I just don't know to what extent. Like say I log on through my browser in my phone and I post a message here agreeing with others on the immoral ethics, would the app be able to send the data back to them? Would they then know that it's me posting even though I'm on a PC that doesn't have the app on?

I don't say much in threads criticizing them and it kills me inside. I also realize I don't know how much data these apps can harvest, and maybe I am overestimating how far the technology has come. Am I being too paranoid?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If you're concerned about that, you may as well stay offline entirely, and not have a smartphone.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
If you're on an iPhone, you can quarantine the app pretty well. Anything that is said on the app is probably stored and analyzed by the government in question though. There's little you can do about that.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So there's the potential for it.
And an installed app is capable.
Like things like your IP address could be tied to your app account.

Also your web browser leaks a lot of info about your device:

Am I Unique ?

Check if your browser has a unique fingerprint, how identifiable you are on the Internet

But really it depends on the effort required. And you're not that special.

The more realistic thing is that you'd be at a border, and they'd ask you to unlock your phone. And then they'll connect it to a device that will copy all the data on it.

America does that. So your country can do as well.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Everything is possible.
Although I'm pretty sure we chat only monitor your group messages

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
If it's a state actor, surveillance will usually be more persistent than just a single app. You might want to look into open source resources for journalists operating in unsecure environments, like the Electronic Frontier Foundation. That's general advice but chances are, journalists and cybersecurity experts have looked at the country you're worried about and there will be specific resources to harden your communications for that visit.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
If it's a state actor, surveillance will usually be more persistent than just a single app. You might want to look into open source resources for journalists operating in unsecure environments, like the Electronic Frontier Foundation. That's general advice but chances are, journalists and cybersecurity experts have looked at the country you're worried about and there will be specific resources to harden your communications for that visit.

I'm just a nobody. I'm not planning on storming capitals or anything. I don't have the power to do anything. I do want to be able to vent freely.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
The totalitarian dictatorship with actual concentration camps that is currently trying to anschluss a certain region thanks to the appeasement policy of the other major powers that we're all thinking of does indeed harvest data from the app we're all thinking of.

That app isn't end-to-end encrypted and all messages sent through it pass through their servers. It's also nice to know that the party in charge actively influences decisions of their private sector. Just look at the recent events surrounding a certain billionaire

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for being vague. I have an app I can't get rid of that we all know is being spied on by a certain Orwellian Government using technology to control people. I have family and friends in that country and might visit every now and then. I can't get rid of the app because that's how I can be in contact with friends and family there.

While I know they spy on me, I just don't know to what extent. Like say I log on through my browser in my phone and I post a message here agreeing with others on the immoral ethics, would the app be able to send the data back to them? Would they then know that it's me posting even though I'm on a PC that doesn't have the app on?

I don't say much in threads criticizing them and it kills me inside. I also realize I don't know how much data these apps can harvest, and maybe I am overestimating how far the technology has come. Am I being too paranoid?

I think it depends on the what country and app you are talking about. If you live in the US, then the app is almost certainly not automatically sending your data back to the government. However, there have been plenty of reports about national security laws, the patriot act, and how many of the big companies share data upon the government's request. This NBC article talks a bit about the history and proposed legislation to curtail the practice. I would be much more worried if it was WeChat and your family lives in China (an example of what they routinely do). In many parts of the world, commercial companies have enough separation from the government to push back or even reject data requests from the government. The Apple vs FBI case is a famous one. However, that distance doesn't really exist in China. The CCP actually passed a law in 2017 that requires any organization to support and cooperate with national security work.

I don't know what country you live in or what app this is, but if it is on the China side of the spectrum, then I would just assume they have access to anything on your phone/app. To be more explicit, yes the app would be able to send the data back. Whether they can tie your app activity to your desktop browsing is a different story but I am going to guess that it is very possible.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
You are not special, no one cares enough to spy on you unless you are doing dodgy shit.

One of my friends has a business partner (or plan to partner) that's in exile from the government. Granted this isn't a close friend and I never seen or met her business partner. She told me this through text and not the app, but it does have me concerned.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
You can probably revoke permissions for the app which I believe would make it live on a bubble of it's own and not be able to access anything outside of the app. Obviously it is possible that hackers could find a way to breach the permission requirement, but honestly odds are that if that was possible for sure it would have been news at some point (extremely unlikely that only people from the country you are worried about are the ones that can bypass this restriction).

You can also add the app in a 'deep sleep' list, however your phone calls it (make it save battery so it has less access to run on the background and uses less internet).

I think you are being a bit paranoid, if you are a nobody there is nearly zero chance they will cause trouble to you, but you do you.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I use WeChat daily and criticize the CCP and the US Government on it all the time but all my permissions on it are off so it doesn't get anything from iOS as far as I know. And even if they do I don't give a fuck. Everything I say on the app I would say out loud as well so it's not like privileged information.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Talking about the general concept of privacy invasion by state actors / private companies I always land on the side of privacy.

But I always ask the question of people I know who obsess over this thing ... why would the government be spying on you? You aren't a criminal or member of an illegal org, out to over throw the state.

Let's face it, 99% of the population aren't worth spying on .... they do nothing and are boring.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on iOS an app basically shouldn't be able to spy on anything done outside of the app itself, except maybe accessing the clipboard - especially if you don't grant it permissions to things like your photo library.
I'm not sure what the concern here is though, since you aren't living in the country - that they will spy on your activities and hold your family ransom for whatever it is that you're doing?
That seems overly paranoid, unless you are actually doing something which would warrant it.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
You could sandbox it on PC. Then it won't ever get an opportunity to track anything on your phone.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
I use WeChat daily and criticize the CCP and the US Government on it all the time but all my permissions on it are off so it doesn't get anything from iOS as far as I know. And even if they do I don't give a fuck. Everything I say on the app I would say out loud as well so it's not like privileged information.

If you use WeChat you are actually helping the CCP train the algorithms that they use to censor users in China.

citizenlab.ca

WeChat Surveillance Explained - The Citizen Lab

This document provides a summary of the Citizen Lab's WeChat surveillance research findings, as well as questions and answers from the resesearch team.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
If you use WeChat you are actually helping the CCP train the algorithms that they use to censor users in China.

citizenlab.ca

WeChat Surveillance Explained - The Citizen Lab

This document provides a summary of the Citizen Lab's WeChat surveillance research findings, as well as questions and answers from the resesearch team.
Yeah unfortunately I lived there for ten years so they've got plenty out of me. Nothing new from me these days though.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A lot, but even if its not much they can cross referencr with other datasets and end up with a pretty complete picture

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
There's a difference between them data collecting for marketing purposes and actively spying on you.
That's not what I meant. I meant that collection and exploitation are different functions. The universe of what the CCP (or any intelligence activity) collects is larger than what's processed and used.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The government has Ben spying on you forever man. Give it up. AT&T and other telecoms have direct line and contracts with the government for this.

Any notion of private was gone with the Patriot Act and whatever legislation comes after the recent insurrection.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Is your concern being critical, then being picked up next time you go to visit?

I mean, maybe I am being paranoid. Just the whole protest in the capital suddenly reminded me that a friend might be going into business with a wanted person that was exiled. I didn't dare ask how that's going ever since she brought it up.

Nov 27, 2020
United States
honest question: why do people care about being spied on by china, assuming there's no chance you'll be living there or anything? hell, even if you went there on vacation, imagine the amount of outrage there'd be if you disappeared. especially when the republicans are so anti-china nowadays.
the chinese government isn't going to come and arrest you or something, even if you're super critical of it, as long as you live in the US. especially considering we're all just regular civilians. probably the only thing the chinese govt wants is economic advantages, which I honestly don't care that much about. I care much more about my own government spying on me, personally, as a quick glance at the Snowden files will tell you just how much the US spies on its citizens.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
honest question: why do people care about being spied on by china, assuming there's no chance you'll be living there or anything? hell, even if you went there on vacation, imagine the amount of outrage there'd be if you disappeared. especially when the republicans are so anti-china nowadays.
the chinese government isn't going to come and arrest you or something, even if you're super critical of it, as long as you live in the US. especially considering we're all just regular civilians. probably the only thing the chinese govt wants is economic advantages, which I honestly don't care that much about. I care much more about my own government spying on me, personally, as a quick glance at the Snowden files will tell you just how much the US spies on its citizens.
If you're using WeChat, it's probably to talk to people in China. Being cautious is more about protecting them.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018

Chinese diaspora around the world that still have family in China are actively targeted by the CCP with operation fox hunt.

"The proxy from China will have a face-to-face conversation … to explain either subtly or not subtly what they expect in terms of the family member's behaviour in Canada and next steps that will be taken if people don't co-operate."

Mr. Kurland said the Chinese state has grown "less reluctant to do this kind of dirty work on Canadian soil to members of the Chinese Canadian community."

In some cases, Chinese authorities have dispatched people to Canada to try to put pressure on people to return, he said. In other cases, his clients' relatives in China were detained to force them to come back.

Mr. Fadden said Chinese Fox Hunt agents come to Canada either under diplomatic cover or covertly on tourist visas, as business people and students to bully expatriates, including some suspected of corruption, to return home.

www.theglobeandmail.com

CSIS warns China’s Operation Fox Hunt is targeting Canada’s Chinese community

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service says Beijing uses proxies to threaten Canada’s Chinese community in an effort to silence President Xi Jinping’s critics

Last edited:

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
There is barely a 100% protection against data leaking and data being captured.

It is basically an evaluation how secure (and how paranoid) you want to be. Tell us how secure you want to be, and then we can tell you what measures you should follow.

Unless your name is Edward Snowden or you are in close contact, you probably don't need to go full paranoid, for example.