• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 v. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for Switch

• Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 371 65.7%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Votes: 194 34.3%

• Total voters

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 30 hours into Divinity on Switch and I've beaten XC2 and Torna - I can't recommend one over the other. They are very different experiences.

XC2 was a more relaxing experience, with enjoyable (although poorly explained) combat, a long story that feels like an anime, lots of cutscenes and no player choice. I loved it, start to finish, and I was eager to play the DLC when it arrived - most games I don't bother with DLC.

Divinity 2 is an incredibly thoughtful game, with slow paced, deliberate and challenging combat, and a massive story littered with player choice. Countless NPC conversations feel meaningful, and may very well influence other NPC interactions further down the line. That said, I don't find it as easy of a game to relax with as XC2. It's overwhelming at times just how many things you can do or say - approaching an NPC or scene with one party member vs another can result in very different outcomes. Perhaps you get a mission with one choice, or you're forced to kill them with another.

All that said, while I'm enjoying Divinity 2 now, I know my personal preference would probably be to jump into XC Definitive Edition.

Oct 25, 2017
Poppi and Tora feel like an otherwise really awesome combination of characters that gets ruined with pervy jokes.

Like, they have a lot of moments where they are *awesome* together, and then.... you have the literal first scene she's active. It's annoying, and it contributes to the really uneven nature of the game.

Regarding the underage thing, Poppi pretty clearly 'ages up' as she develops into a more capable Blade.
Which, again, had to be ruined for teh lolz and hurr durr horny potato jokes.

I feel like Pyra and Mythra are 1 or 2 edits away from being really good character designs; oddly, if you look at the original artwork by Saitom, their chests don't even look that big. Seriously, something got missed when making the 3D models, I swear.

Xenoblade is amazingly fantastic.... Most of the time. But fuck man it's got some shitty qualities thrown in.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
There is an inherent comparison in their juxtaposition. The idea that the OP is deciding between the two is a comparative value proposition.
And in that sense you're saying they're not comparable? Huh? In that sense they are inherently comparable. And you say it's laughable? You're arguing against yourself

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play OS2 on switch, but of the two games I think OS2 is the safer choice. Both are solid games but OS2 is the more consistent game (XB2 is better at its best though, but due to various design decisions the mileage will vary quite a bit), also while it's slower paced it doesn't take up as much time unless you are an alt-holic and want to play all the characters.

But do keep in mind that they are very different genre. For one thing, do you want your own adventure or follow an adventure. Start your decision from there is probably good way to make the decision.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Pyra and Mythra are 1 or 2 edits away from being really good character designs; oddly, if you look at the original artwork by Saitom, their chests don't even look that big. Seriously, something got missed when making the 3D models, I swear.

What went wrong was the modelers like big tits. That's why so many of the female models have comical chests with crazy jiggle physics. Put the Torna costume on Mythra and suddenly she is a lot better of a design (black stockings are atrocious though. Should have been white)

Peeps should just delete XC2 from their mind (if they aren't liking it) and play Torna. Just an overall more polished experience

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really suggest you play D:OS 2 just not on switch please? It's very very low res on switch and if you still decide to buy D:OS 2 please play it in handheld mode and it would be barely passable. Xenoblade 2 also has graphic issue, but not as bad as D:OS 2.

The rest is down to preference, I enjoyed both (played D:OS2 on PC though).

OP
OP

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I'd really suggest you play D:OS 2 just not on switch please? It's very very low res on switch and if you still decide to buy D:OS 2 please play it in handheld mode and it would be barely passable. Xenoblade 2 also has graphic issue, but not as bad as D:OS 2.

Are there visual issues docked?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
And in that sense you're saying they're not comparable? Huh? In that sense they are inherently comparable. And you say it's laughable? You're arguing against yourself
I'm not, I'm saying it is very silly to try and compare them or pit them against each other when there is one clear option, thus nullifying the comparison. This is a very weird derail.

OP, play DOS2.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I have issues with it as well, but don't encourage people to buy it elsewhere - just state the facts. It runs very well, but the resolution leaves a lot to be desired.

I wish it looked better absolutely, but I wouldn't play it anywhere else. I value handheld mode especially for a game this massive, it just takes a bit of adjustment.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'm not, I'm saying it is very silly to try and compare them or pit them against each other when there is one clear option, thus nullifying the comparison. This is a very weird derail.

OP, play DOS2.
And yet here we are on page 5. It appears most ppl do not agree with you.. move along

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
OP after these people trick you into buying divinity 2 and you experience its unfun magic vs physical armor stat management and slow boring combat come back and give them a tongue lashing for making you waste your money. I will be waiting.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Divinity 2 is really fun with friends. I had a blast playing it with 2 other people on PC.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

OP, play DOS2.
It's not really silly at all. Xenoblade 2 reviewed well, sold well, and has a large fan base. It's clearly the better value proposition for some. Heck, it placed 9th on Resetera's Game of the Year 2017 poll. Acting like there is an objective choice here just comes across as obtuse.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have played both to completion.
First up, they are very different games. One is a very narrative/character focused JRPG with an action combat system with cooldowns and expansive 3D environments to explore.
The other is a top down cRPG focused on giving the player lots of freedom both mechanically and narratively. The combat here is turn-based (with strategic positioning/movement).

I really enjoyed my time with both of them, tbh. Really depends on what you're in the mood for, they are both high quality games.
I will say, though, if you're fancying XC2 I would wait a bit and get XC1 first, which comes out at the end of the month. XC2 is a sequel and you're gonna get more out of it if you played the first one. Structurally they are pretty similar.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Weird question for me personally. Like others, I felt super hot and cold on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet blew threw it. Put over 100 hours into it in about 3 weeks. Conversely, I bought Divinity: Original Sin 2 during the last sale, put 10 hours into over the weekend, escaped Fort Joy, and haven't touched it again nor do I have any desire to go back despite having a blast with my time with it. I think the open ended nature is scaring me away like the OS1 did after 40 hours. I can't help but feel I'm missing 80% of the game and that makes me want to stay away lol.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Feels like we're missing each other on this point. Who honestly cares which came first. Once you're dressing up a robot in fetish clothing and programming mannerisms that adheres to your weird sexual deviancy, it's not longer a just work tool, it has dual purpose. Saying "They made it for a sex robot" and "They made it because they couldn't be drivers" aren't mutually exclusive, they both can be true.

Conviently "I made this robot because I want to be a driver" is a great coverup.
The reason Tora and Poppi are like that is because Tora's father and grandfather are idiots and/or perverts. They have a very warped view of "normal" informed by their "blade research" magazines (ecchi magazines). Tora and Poppi both come across as very naive and think what they've learned is normal; though Poppi is clearly the more mature of the two and she loves teasing Tora and getting him in trouble. Describing Poppi as a sex doll/slave is way off since she's very dominant in the relationship; and as pervy or naive as Tora comes across their relationship and love for each other feels very sincere and mutual.

They come across as young cosplayers. They're dressing up as blades and drivers and trying to be the real thing. They love each other and want to become better.

When I first saw Poppi I expected to hate her, but she ended up being one of the best characters.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

DOS2 was perfectly playable on Switch in handheld mode. The resolution was actually better than I expected, the only real issues are that some of the character models are quite blurry. The environments and effects look great.

I put in about 250 hours.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Well Divinity is not really comparable to Witcher or Skyrim in how it plays, its a turnbased game with a lot of focus on choices (as far as I'm aware). And really good.

XC2 is a fantastic JRPG with a very particular battle system thats sadly explained via bad tutorials. It's anime af if you don't like that.

They are both great in what they do ... so the choice is yours.
I thought the tutorials in xc2 are fine. They don't overwhelm you with it and its spread out in several chapters. IIRC, you couldn't find them after. Someone correct me if I'm wong.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Do you want a well crafted narrative in a great RPG or do you want a generic anime tropefest that has bas sexualization of the women characters and one character that's literally an underage looking sex doll belonging to a potato man that he got from his uncle?
Well ... yup. This about sums it up.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Xenoblade 2 has
- one of the best worlds ever made, full of breathtaking scenery, deep and complex level design full of secrets
- THE best OST ever made
- a great story and cast with incredibly emotional moments
- a deep and satisfying combat system
- maybe most importantly, a lot of heart. It never stops having cheerful and funny moments even during its pretty depressing story arcs, and isn't made for people who are too insecure to enjoy media that doesn't constantly take itself too seriously like it has a stick up its own ass
- an amazing prequel expansion fleshing the story, lore and characters even more with even a new combat system with unique mechanics compared to the main game

All in all it's my favorite game on the Switch. A true gem that has an extremely loud vocal minority that constantly resorts to hyperbole to shit on it at every chance. Please OP don't let them cloud you and give it a chance!
Yep.
XB1 is my favorite game of all time and 2 is almost as good.
Highly recommended

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Easily Divinity.
But Xenoblade Definitive Edition is another beast.
So get one of these 2 before considering Xenoblade 2 which is the weakest.

But they are vastly different.
You might like a style more than another.
Xb 2 might be at the ipposite of what Divinity is while Xb 1 is inbetween. But thats a pretty rough summary.

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're very different. If you know you like JRPGs, you will almost certainly like XB2. Though XB1 is better imo and that is also out in less than a month now.

CRPGs are a whole different beast, if you've never played one, you very well might not like them. But Divinity is definitely a great one.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't speak for Divinity 2, but XB2 is still a good game. There are problematic aspects in terms of some of the writing, UI and designs, but if you can tolerate that, you will find a loving odle to old-school JRPGs and sci-fi fantasy anime with a great, if poorly explained, battle system. Just look up some of the guides on the mechanics which would explain things far better than the game can.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
XC2, the game that just keeps on giving, lol. There's a certain irony to P5 fans dunking on XC2 for shitty tropes, when P5 revels in it itself. But, P5 gets a pass here, for some reason.

Unfortunately, I can't chime in because I haven't played DoS2. It looked good though!
P5's and Xenoblade 2's writing suck for different reasons, though.

P5's writing isn't terrible in a vacuum, but the fact that the game attempts to tackle complex sociopolitical themes without any of the nuance or sensitivity that it deserves and instead tries to go for the same tired anime tropes is incredibly insulting.

Xenoblade 2's writing at certain points (pretty much any scene where the harem anime aspects of the game is emphasised counts), on the other hand, is flat out insulting. What the ending does to Rex's character arc makes what D&D did to Jaime in Season 8 of Game of Thrones look good in comparison.
The reason Tora and Poppi are like that is because Tora's father and grandfather are idiots and/or perverts. They have a very warped view of "normal" informed by their "blade research" magazines (ecchi magazines). Tora and Poppi both come across as very naive and think what they've learned is normal; though Poppi is clearly the more mature of the two and she loves teasing Tora and getting him in trouble. Describing Poppi as a sex doll/slave is way off since she's very dominant in the relationship; and as pervy or naive as Tora comes across their relationship and love for each other feels very sincere and mutual.

They come across as young cosplayers. They're dressing up as blades and drivers and trying to be the real thing. They love each other and want to become better.

When I first saw Poppi I expected to hate her, but she ended up being one of the best characters.
Just because Tora has a (ham-fisted) reason to be a one-note "anime pervert" doesn't make him anything more than a one-note anime pervert. It's exactly the same issue with Camilla from Fire Emblem: Fates, where the developers thought that giving an excuse for her behaviour would somehow make it acceptable. Easily the worst character in the Xenoblade series.

Poppi is excellent, though (one of the three characters in 2 that it up to the standards of 1's cast).

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Xenoblade 2's writing at certain points (pretty much any scene where the harem anime aspects of the game is emphasised counts), on the other hand, is flat out insulting. What the ending does to Rex's character arc makes what D&D did to Jaime in Season 8 of Game of Thrones look good in comparison.

Can you elaborate? I don't really remember the details of Xenoblade 2's story anymore, but I do remember that by the end of the game I liked Rex (and Nia) more than the rest of the cast, which isn't something I expected when I was first introduced to "generic nice anime boy" at the game's start.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Can you elaborate? I don't really remember the details of Xenoblade 2's story anymore, but I do remember that by the end of the game I liked Rex (and Nia) more than the rest of the cast, which isn't something I expected when I was first introduced to "generic nice anime boy" at the game's start.
Posted from a previous thread:
In regards to Xenoblade 2's ending, I think Luminozero from GameFAQs said it best (source: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204208-xenoblade-chronicles-2/76149799?page=1):

The ending sucks ass.

Let's put it all in context here, shall we? At it's core, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is about Rex. It's a coming of age story, telling the story of an idealistic boy growing up and becoming a man. This is the story the game attempts to tell, using the world saving plot as a framing device, as most RPGs do.

That's the key thing you have to remember. The game is heavily protagonist focused. It's about Rex.

When we first meet Rex, he's often mocked for being too idealistic and naive. It isn't until we meet Vandham that somebody begins to actually 'teach' him after displaying how Rex's weaknesses put others at risk. He breaks down Rex's idealistic view of war (pointing out that everything he salvages has military applications and that war is all about power, not morality) and acts as the 'experienced mentor' archetype to Rex's 'Young Hero'. It's the culmination of Vandham's character arc that, even with his death, Rex is incapable of making the adult decision and charges a vastly superior foe in a childish rage. Mythra later calls Rex out for this, making the player aware that Rex's refusal to accept difficult decisions is putting himself and all of his friends in danger.

Remember that line, it shows up again.

The game continues to progress, with Rex taking more of a classic RPG Hero role until near the end of Chapter 6. Once again, pushed into a corner, he recklessly engages a far superior foe and causes his companions to suffer for his foolishness. This time, Jin calls him out on it, noting how his foolishness has nearly killed Pyra due to their shared injuries. Once again, Rex's refusal to find another way out of the situation is what put them into the dire straights they wind up in at the end. Sure, Rex lacked the power to defeat Jin, but he didn't even consider a solution besides blitzing him and hoping for the best.

Chapter 7 starts with the humiliation conga for Rex, as his allies line up to slap the s*** out of him. The purpose of this isn't to just wail on the poor guy, but to call attention to something else entirely. Rex failed. Not only failed, Rex
acknowledged that he failed. For an idealist, acknowledging that somethings there is just nothing you can do can be world s***tering. His companions rightfully wanted to make him see that failure doesn't mean surrender, as many of the games antagonists took it to mean in their own backstories.

Rex's reaching out to Pyra and Mythra at the end of Chapter 7, oddly, doesn't indicate a large amount of character growth. The next bit really comes at the end of the game.

One thing that gets overlooked is a late game conversation with Zeke that has tremendous importance. Zeke asks Rex what he thinks about the world and the people in it. Rex responds with the affirmation that people "can be difficult to deal with. But you have to take the good with the bad."

This is an important part of Rex's character growth. The acknowledgment that there is bad in the world that has to be accepted along with all of the good. It's what he's never been able to do for the entire game, make a choice that isn't what he wants but is for the good of all. Rex just makes the choice he wants and hopes it all works out.

The next big event is Rex's "Nightmare" scenarios. The overarching theme here is that Rex failed to consider the feelings of his friends on the quest. He was so singularly focused on his goals (reaching Elysium, helping Pyra) that he didn't stop to consider their own. He's coming face-to-face with the fact that he's been extraordinarily selfish towards his companions for pretty much the entire game.

It culminates at the finale, when all of Rex's character growth is ready to be tested in a final, dramatic choice.

That is completely taken away from him.

When Pneuma destroys the bridge and makes Poppi promise to not help, she actively takes away Rex's
choice. What should have been his shining moment of character growth, to show that he really did grow up and learn that sometimes in life you do lose things you treasure, was snatched away from him in order to keep him 'pure'. Pneuma made the choice for him, robbing him of the growth and resolution to his character arc that such a choice would have represented.

There was still a lesson to be learned, though. That sometimes, despite our best efforts, we still suffer a great loss that shakes us to our very core. It's simply a natural part of being an adult, the world isn't as pure and fun as it was when we were a child. Rex had never accepted that before. He'd always believed there was something he could do, and didn't stop until he found it. Except this time, there really was nothing, and all he could do was endure the pain as he lost her.

And then it was all restored minutes later, completely negating the sacrifice and torpedoing any chance of true character growth from Rex. Rex ends the game in the exact same "Youthful idealist" mindset that he started it.

For a game that intended from the very start to tell a "Coming of Age" narrative they failed spectacularly because they didn't have the stones to stick with it until the end.
It is pretty much the gaming equivalent of "To be honest, I never really cared about the people - innocent or otherwise" from Jaime in Season 8.

There are three reasons why this is particularly painful. First, it's incredibly obvious that the ending ended up as it was because Takahashi wanted to insert a harem into the story (the scene with Nia in Chapter 7 is another good example of it - she really deserved better).

More importantly, this is a scene, that as mentioned above, undermines the entire story in retrospect, which was supposed to be building up to it.

Finally, while Xenoblade 2 could never have been good after the mess that was the Chapter 6 ending (there's so many contrivances that it felt like kids RPing) this ending is something that could have been at least brought the game up to a serviceable level with a few minor adjustments.
In regards to the ending, there are several things I would change. First, I would have the World Tree collapse due to the damage that the final battle with Aion caused (this should be foreshadowed during the fight itself). When Malos is defeated, he's still defiant - and the World Tree starts to collapse (maybe have him gloat about how the World Tree is going to crash into Alrest, so that no matter what, he still wins in the end). Hence, Pyra/Mythra has to sacrifice herself to prevent the World Tree from crashing into Alrest. This is so that the tension of the ending does not feel as contrived.

Rex would protest, as it was in the main story, but he would eventually let Pyra/Mythra go out of his own volition, knowing that it was for the best. Finally, I would then get rid of the post-credits scene entirely, as I felt that having the Titans merge into a new Elysium was a happy enough ending for the game.

If a post-credits scene had to occur, then instead of Pyra or Mythra coming back, I would, at most, have Rex find the Aegis' deactivated Core Crystal. IIRC, from an interview with Takahashi, this was supposed to be the original ending, until it was changed later in development.
Trashing this piece of trash gives me far more enjoyment than playing through this piece of trash twice to find anything good within the trash.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Posted from a previous thread:
In regards to Xenoblade 2's ending, I think Luminozero from GameFAQs said it best (source: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204208-xenoblade-chronicles-2/76149799?page=1):

The ending sucks ass.

Let's put it all in context here, shall we? At it's core, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is about Rex. It's a coming of age story, telling the story of an idealistic boy growing up and becoming a man. This is the story the game attempts to tell, using the world saving plot as a framing device, as most RPGs do.

That's the key thing you have to remember. The game is heavily protagonist focused. It's about Rex.

When we first meet Rex, he's often mocked for being too idealistic and naive. It isn't until we meet Vandham that somebody begins to actually 'teach' him after displaying how Rex's weaknesses put others at risk. He breaks down Rex's idealistic view of war (pointing out that everything he salvages has military applications and that war is all about power, not morality) and acts as the 'experienced mentor' archetype to Rex's 'Young Hero'. It's the culmination of Vandham's character arc that, even with his death, Rex is incapable of making the adult decision and charges a vastly superior foe in a childish rage. Mythra later calls Rex out for this, making the player aware that Rex's refusal to accept difficult decisions is putting himself and all of his friends in danger.

Remember that line, it shows up again.

The game continues to progress, with Rex taking more of a classic RPG Hero role until near the end of Chapter 6. Once again, pushed into a corner, he recklessly engages a far superior foe and causes his companions to suffer for his foolishness. This time, Jin calls him out on it, noting how his foolishness has nearly killed Pyra due to their shared injuries. Once again, Rex's refusal to find another way out of the situation is what put them into the dire straights they wind up in at the end. Sure, Rex lacked the power to defeat Jin, but he didn't even consider a solution besides blitzing him and hoping for the best.

Chapter 7 starts with the humiliation conga for Rex, as his allies line up to slap the s*** out of him. The purpose of this isn't to just wail on the poor guy, but to call attention to something else entirely. Rex failed. Not only failed, Rex
acknowledged that he failed. For an idealist, acknowledging that somethings there is just nothing you can do can be world s***tering. His companions rightfully wanted to make him see that failure doesn't mean surrender, as many of the games antagonists took it to mean in their own backstories.

Rex's reaching out to Pyra and Mythra at the end of Chapter 7, oddly, doesn't indicate a large amount of character growth. The next bit really comes at the end of the game.

One thing that gets overlooked is a late game conversation with Zeke that has tremendous importance. Zeke asks Rex what he thinks about the world and the people in it. Rex responds with the affirmation that people "can be difficult to deal with. But you have to take the good with the bad."

This is an important part of Rex's character growth. The acknowledgment that there is bad in the world that has to be accepted along with all of the good. It's what he's never been able to do for the entire game, make a choice that isn't what he wants but is for the good of all. Rex just makes the choice he wants and hopes it all works out.

The next big event is Rex's "Nightmare" scenarios. The overarching theme here is that Rex failed to consider the feelings of his friends on the quest. He was so singularly focused on his goals (reaching Elysium, helping Pyra) that he didn't stop to consider their own. He's coming face-to-face with the fact that he's been extraordinarily selfish towards his companions for pretty much the entire game.

It culminates at the finale, when all of Rex's character growth is ready to be tested in a final, dramatic choice.

That is completely taken away from him.

When Pneuma destroys the bridge and makes Poppi promise to not help, she actively takes away Rex's
choice. What should have been his shining moment of character growth, to show that he really did grow up and learn that sometimes in life you do lose things you treasure, was snatched away from him in order to keep him 'pure'. Pneuma made the choice for him, robbing him of the growth and resolution to his character arc that such a choice would have represented.

There was still a lesson to be learned, though. That sometimes, despite our best efforts, we still suffer a great loss that shakes us to our very core. It's simply a natural part of being an adult, the world isn't as pure and fun as it was when we were a child. Rex had never accepted that before. He'd always believed there was something he could do, and didn't stop until he found it. Except this time, there really was nothing, and all he could do was endure the pain as he lost her.

And then it was all restored minutes later, completely negating the sacrifice and torpedoing any chance of true character growth from Rex. Rex ends the game in the exact same "Youthful idealist" mindset that he started it.

For a game that intended from the very start to tell a "Coming of Age" narrative they failed spectacularly because they didn't have the stones to stick with it until the end.
It is pretty much the gaming equivalent of "To be honest, I never really cared about the people - innocent or otherwise" from Jaime in Season 8.

There are three reasons why this is particularly painful. First, it's incredibly obvious that the ending ended up as it was because Takahashi wanted to insert a harem into the story (the scene with Nia in Chapter 7 is another good example of it - she really deserved better).

More importantly, this is a scene, that as mentioned above, undermines the entire story in retrospect, which was supposed to be building up to it.

Finally, while Xenoblade 2 could never have been good after the mess that was the Chapter 6 ending (there's so many contrivances that it felt like kids RPing) this ending is something that could have been at least brought the game up to a serviceable level with a few minor adjustments.
In regards to the ending, there are several things I would change. First, I would have the World Tree collapse due to the damage that the final battle with Aion caused (this should be foreshadowed during the fight itself). When Malos is defeated, he's still defiant - and the World Tree starts to collapse (maybe have him gloat about how the World Tree is going to crash into Alrest, so that no matter what, he still wins in the end). Hence, Pyra/Mythra has to sacrifice herself to prevent the World Tree from crashing into Alrest. This is so that the tension of the ending does not feel as contrived.

Rex would protest, as it was in the main story, but he would eventually let Pyra/Mythra go out of his own volition, knowing that it was for the best. Finally, I would then get rid of the post-credits scene entirely, as I felt that having the Titans merge into a new Elysium was a happy enough ending for the game.

If a post-credits scene had to occur, then instead of Pyra or Mythra coming back, I would, at most, have Rex find the Aegis' deactivated Core Crystal. IIRC, from an interview with Takahashi, this was supposed to be the original ending, until it was changed later in development.
Trashing this piece of trash gives me far more enjoyment than playing through this piece of trash twice to find anything good within the trash.

I stopped playing at the end of Chapter 6, mostly due to some game design issues but it looks like I didn't miss much.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. Overall, Divinity Original Sin 2. It has in depth and a very strategic battle system, an intriguing world, excellent voice acting and great characterisation, a lot of player choice, nice art and visuals on Switch, and a lot of player choice. On the flipside, it has a pretty harsh difficulty curve, rather compressed story development and constraints due to budget are rather obvious in how the story is told, particularly presentation. Also, the overarching plot is pretty garbled. That doesn't make it not good, it just isn't that coherent.

Xenoblade 2, despite the crap resolution, has better graphics, although character art is problematic, environmental design is beautiful, higher production values, a convoluted but pretty indepth combat system, fun when you get the hang of it, and an entertaining and pretty extensive plot. I would really like to see what this dev could do with powerful hardware, because I think they are overall good with visuals, despite res issues. On the negative, battle system is pretty convoluted and not easy to grasp the different mechanics, the character design is very questionable, the plot is convoluted and lacks concision, the res is too low.

I would say get both.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Divinity is one of the best rpg's ever made but it's slow paced and has a top down view, a steep learning curve and deep
mechanics. If you're looking for something more casual ( relatively speaking ) go for Xenoblade. The world, music, graphics and stuff is loads better but it's not that deep of an rpg. The combat has almost no strategy.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Which do you like more, deep gameplay or anime?
Do you want a well crafted narrative in a great RPG or do you want a generic anime tropefest that has bas sexualization of the women characters and one character that's literally an underage looking sex doll belonging to a potato man that he got from his uncle?
One of them has fun dialogues, a lot of freedom on the choices, no handholding and deep gameplay. The other is Xenoblade 2.
Do you want a good game or do you want Xenoblade chronicles 2?

I really agree with these. Divinity Original Sin 2 is one of the best games I've played this generation. Amazing tactical depth, options, characters and exploration.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was extremely boring for me. I found it cringey, the huge levels empty and the combat was dull and shallow. I hated the characters and the scenes made me cringe and bear in mind I like JRPGs...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I should say in advance that I don't mean to single you out; it's more of a meta response to the way XB2 is discussed here.

Did anyone force the writer's hand to give the characters these traits and backstory? No. Pointing to in-world justification for their perversion is fine and all, but that doesn't mean it is any better writing or less of a dumb trope. Once you recognize that, you can understand that this was explicitly put in there for exploitative reasons. The writers wanted to create this otaku pandering master-servant stuff not because it's an interesting character arc but because it's just that, bait. They code super warped behavior in this jokey stuff — aha what a silly pervert, but we still love him -- to play to an audience, to tantalize.

For a game meant for male teens (it is unambiguously shonen), it is filled to the brim and overflows with bad stereotypes, sexism, revels in exploiting pervert jokes, downplays absurd behavior constantly, points the camera at T&A at every possible occasion, and so forth. Of course half of these have in-world justifications. The writers aren't stupid. Some people are quick to point out that some of the worse examples that can come to mind are in optional content. That doesn't make it not part of the game or invisible; it's part of the full package. Otherwise we can easily dismiss the most optional content of all: DLC. Supposedly some of the best parts of the game. Well, it's optional after all so obviously not important.

The selectiveness with which this game's defense force goes about its way is perhaps the most baffling thing of all. At least the designers were honest, whereas some people need to contort themselves every which way to somehow make the argument that, no, Xenoblade 2 is not otaku bait or full of actively harmful design choices, considering the target audience. Media such as this is why "creepy asterisks" are thing. I wonder what the real-life justification for people like that is. As if that makes it totally okay.

This isn't pointed at you specifically, but I've seen the sentiment recently. "Boo-hoo, a vocal minority doesn't like the game." Honestly, engage in some self-reflection if that's your only takeaway. Nobody is taking away the fact that you liked a game. There's nothing wrong with liking a game per se. But try to at least acknowledge its issues instead of pretending they're not there or excusing them.

And obviously a lot of games have issues like XB2. Not all of them are rollercoaster themeparks of the greatest hits though. This is as close to Senran Kagura that you get without actually being Senran Kagura. Those games at the very least are upfront about what they're about and aren't a sequel a beloved game that wasn't coded in that kind of stuff. There's a legitimately okay JRPG beneath all of XB2's excesses; the game would've been unambiguously better without the fluff, which makes it all the more disappointing for the "vocal minority".

But instead of trying to see this, fans lament the existence of the vocal minority. Some proudly proclaim that they preemptively went to the mods so that people won't complain about where the series has gone in the upcoming XB Definitive OT (not here but elsewhere). Congratulations on the tacit acknowledgement that XB2 is rife with anomalous choices in comparison to its predecessor.

And to the folks who, like me, understandably also didn't vibe with the direction of the series, maybe if our position on the game is less accusatory towards people who do like certain aspects of it, discourse wouldn't be prematurely stifled (though I definitely won't excuse my obvious snipe at the supposed gag order in the upcoming OT). Obviously, some people will take it personally regardless of what's said but who knows.

Last edited:

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I liked Xeno 1, the reason I bought a Wii. I felt in love with X on wii u despite its issues. I purchased Xeno 2 and watched my daughter play for some time and never touched it...

I'm at 180hrs on DoS2 right now, a coop run with a friend. We'll need another 100hrs and probably more to finish this run. We're playing on normal difficulty level. Best rpg experience in a while, unique coop fun, deeeep mechanics, tooon of mechanics in and outside combats, lot of roleplay / player agency, freedom, mature characters, humour and so much more.