• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want more from the TLOU IP?

• Yes, I want a sequel featuring Ellie and Abby

Votes: 413 20.9%
  • Yes, I want a sequel focusing on Ellie

Votes: 414 21.0%
  • Yes, I want a sequel focusing on Abby

Votes: 146 7.4%
  • Yes, I want a new game in the series with new characters

Votes: 267 13.5%
  • No, I don't want any new game based on this setting

Votes: 736 37.2%

• Total voters

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)
Definitely want a part three, would like to give Ellie a break and maybe focus on Abby and Lev but I'd like them to make something else first, then TLOU3. Maybe by then my nerves might be able to cope with tension like that again.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I really would love a lost legacy type game with it focusing on abby and lev going after the fireflies, i think ellie's story is finished for now she went back to dina and the baby, let my girl rest for a bit.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
If it comes at the end of next console generation i would be okay with it. and no DLC or Lost Legacy type games please, TLOU Part II has enough to stand on its own and there doesn´t need to be some side story stuff to it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
If they want to do another one, that's fine. I think Ellie's story is over though. Or at least it doesn't have much left to it. I wouldn't mind learning about the source of the infected or anything about curing everyone. Ellie could go on a redemption type story for all her bullshit in the second game.

A new cast would be fine too. I think the second one sort of lost the charm of the first in some ways but it was still pretty good. I think the best option right now is to let the second game sit for a while and make a new IP though.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I think that they should make a third one to wrap up Ellie's story in a trilogy thingy. Though I guess that I can wait a few years for it. Maybe make her a little older too? It would be a nice progression.

Feb 28, 2020
The only interesting redemption arc would be Elli trying to find the Fireflys in orde to cure the virus. But in the proces she finds a new purpose. Just like Joel did in the first part.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Just as with Part 1.

It was perfect, didn't need a sequel.

And I was wrong again. But I still feel the same about Part II. I am up for anything they want to do.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. I'd take anything really. Part 2 was too good for me not to want more.

Maybe a sequel with one or both of the main characters of Part 2, maybe something with an entire new main character. I don't care. I want more.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Ellie only, and we need to see what Ellie decides to do with her life, heal, and be happy. She deserves it after all she went through.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
I'd like one where they find a cure
Abby starts off on firefly mission to kidnap Ellie lol
Something more conventional save the word thing

OP
OP
Magio

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
I'm glad I made this thread, got a lot of insight on other people's reception of the game and on their preferred way forward.

One small disappointment is that despite it doing well in the poll, I didn't see as many comments regarding straight up not wanting a new game in the franchise as I'd hoped, and a few of the ones who did comment only mentioned wanting ND working on a new IP (and I get it, I want Savage Starlight to come out yesterday too).

I was surprised to see the idea of a direct sequel revolving around Ellie and Abby again do that well, guess Abby's character worked better for a lot of people than it did for me. I also expected more people to want to start fresh in that universe, but I guess it's tough to want something without knowing exactly what it would be. An Ellie-focused sequel doing better than other options was expected, though.

Thanks to those who participated and hoping to see a few more insightful comments pop up later on !

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Not at all. Definitely not with Ellie - after TLOU2's ending it would feel frankly ridiculous to play another game where she slaughters hundreds of people.

I would prefer it to be an entirely cast I think, or just not bother.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd take an Abby + Lev game, that occasionally tells us about Ellie. I don't see where you go from there for Ellie, and I don't know that I want to know.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Still super conflicted about Abby(for killing Joel) still, but I'm not going to demand one, but if it were to happen i'd for sure get it. I am curious to see how abby and Lev are doing since presumably making it to the fireflies. We don't know who was leading the Rattlers so I could totally see that being explored in a would be sequel. Could totally be DLC though too.

Last edited:

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I think a third one would fit, seeing as we don't know what happened with Abbey and Ellie has seemingly decided to either start again or go back on the trail. Either way, they both have stories to go. Just with no Joel or any point in having Joel flashbacks it would be a bit weird.

Also, am I missing something or was that last fight just some random woman?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm down for whatever Naughty Dog wants to do. But I'd fucking LOVE another one. What a series man.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it. I think a third one would fit, seeing as we don't know what happened with Abbey and Ellie has seemingly decided to either start again or go back on the trail. Either way, they both have stories to go. Just with no Joel or any point in having Joel flashbacks it would be a bit weird.

Also, am I missing something or was that last fight just some random woman?

Um yes you are missing something lol

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I would only want a new game if it focuses on the Ellie vaccine, otherwise no.

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only if its on another continent and has absolutely no relation to these characters. There are enough post apocalyptic america games.
Give me some europe.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Give me Adult Punished Venom Ellie who's looking for Redemption in another country by trying to find another group that's looking for a Vaccine.
I could see ND going even crazier by pulling a Telltale and making someone else the protagonist while having Ellie as a side character like Walking Dead Season 3.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
If they can keep up the quality improvements like with 1 to 2, then fuck yes. TLoUII, though slightly too new to invoke the recency bias, is among the best game I've ever played in my life. More, MOOOOAAAAAR! pl0x

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After playing Pt. 2, I trust ND. If they have a story they want to tell, then fucking go for it. I'd like to see a final act surrounding Ellie but I'd also be fine if this is the last time we ever see her.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I really like Abby but I feel like her story arc is done as the implication is that she and Lev reach Catalina Island and that she has grown past the hateful person she used to be and started to rebuild..

I could see doing more with Ellie but not really as a game. I feel like her story exists outside of a gameplay loop. Perhaps a graphic novel or something like that.

So overall, I'm "no more games based on TLOU".

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, not at all.

I thought the story in Part 2 wasn't good tbh and I have no desire to play as either Abby or Ellie after that ending. Or any new character in that setting anymore if I'm being honest.

Gameplay wise I think Part 2 is as close as they can get to perfecting the formula so I'm satisfied there and don't need a new game for that either.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
I voted no. I've absolutely loved the risks they took in Part II but that's it for me. There's not another story that needs to be told. Let's see them dig their teeth into something new.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I never wanted a part 2, and I definitely don't want a part 3.

I'd be up for it with other characters I guess, but I don't see that happening.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The only way im buying a new TLOU is with a brand new cast. I love the setting but would not mind if it ends here and they focus in a new IP instead.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I wouldn't mind another TLOU game, but completely separate from any of the characters. Hell I would be fine with a prequel game closer to zero day that explores more of the lore of the world. Ellie doesn't need a redemption arc, because she would still be killing 100s of people outside of the cutscenes.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
If (when realistically) they do a part 3 I just hope they include some semblance of hope/optimism in the story. I'm not saying it should be all sunshine and rainbows but part 2 went overboard with the bleakness and misery.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It could be interesting to see if Ellie would still be willing to sacrifice herself for a cure if she's established a family with Dina. It could be a mirror of Joel's choice for her.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
If (when realistically) they do a part 3 I just hope they include some semblance of hope/optimism in the story. I'm not saying it should be all sunshine and rainbows but part 2 went overboard with the bleakness and misery.

Agreed. It was such a bleak game. Ellie needs and deserves some happiness.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The focus should be on Abby and Ellie. Ellie needs to redeem herself after ending up alone at the end of part 2. And Abby and Lev were far more interesting towards the end of part 2, so I would like to see where there story would continue. Abby isn't liked by many, and she shouldn't be, she killed one of the most beloved characters in gaming history. So she's not really a character you can just set aside, and ignore, it be strange if they did I think. I also wouldn't mind a whole new setting, and a whole set of new characters that have nothing to do with part 1 and 2, but that may be a difficult sell for many fans of the series.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It could be interesting to see if Ellie would still be willing to sacrifice herself for a cure if she's established a family with Dina. It could be a mirror of Joel's choice for her.

My take on the ending and hope for what it meant, is that it's Ellie moving past her survivors guilt. Just as it's her moving beyond Joel. It's really clear in this game especially that she wanted to be the cure because she feels so guilty about others dying and thinks that's the only way her life could ever have real meaning. It's why it was also so important for her not to kill Abby in the end. We saw with Abby that it wouldn't cause those wounds to heal. But perhaps more importantly, it allowed her to save people without having to sacrifice herself. She finally got that feeling of saving people.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It would be interesting to see Neil complete the arc of the human condition he is exploring and use the medium to actually explore further the path toward enlightenment and hope amidst such despair.

It seems like if this does become a trilogy that is really the only next play otherwise you would be retreading the same ground and same themes just with new twists. I.E.jumping the shark.

Neil is probably the best writer in games today so I trust him. If he has a vision I want to see it!

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
No, you can't improve upon the greatest game of all time. Seriously, I don't see how they make a third, and not ruin it for us fans.

Go make the space game. :)

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
I felt this way about the first one as well. I super game for other stories in the world maybe with new characters or locations. But i feel like they've done enough with ellie that they really don't need a 3rd one. I was thinking a longer term game starting on outbreak day and moving through the first days weeks months and years towards the timeline of the first game would be fascinating. And could be broken up in to parts much like the first to give glimpses in to how shit got so bad

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they have a part 3 some time in the future with Ellie traveling to the Fireflies to sacrifice herself to make a vaccine. It's what she wanted to happen.

Abby and Lev should be cameos but nothing more than that.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Has anyone here actually finished the game? Ehy Ellie?... I'm done with her...

I hope they have a part 3 some time in the future with Ellie traveling to the Fireflies to sacrifice herself to make a vaccine. It's what she wanted to happen.

Abby and Lev should be cameos but nothing more than that.
The only way I'd be ok with it.

But even still I was definitely tired of playing as Ellie near the end.