• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
1# ...Did some of you feel discomfort and how did you pull through?
- It's taking me forever to beat the game , because I can only play RE7 for5-10 minutes before I have to take off the head set
- I can increase my playtime say an extra 10 min if I go into the settings
and change the ( VR field of view?) to low ( default is automatic) , but then the image looks like I'm looking at the game trough a sniper riffle minus the cross hairs.

2# So I only play on the weekends - but how exactly do I get my "VR" legs - did some of you just kept playing daily
even though you felt discomfort? How bad can it get if I just continue to push and push - have some of you throw up?

Got so sick you couldn't walk for a few hours...I want to hear stories about how bad is this for your health if possible.

#3 - Is there some research done already - do people go cross eyed eventually? LOL or develop any sorta lost lasting symptoms?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe try some other games to get your VR legs?

Rigs has a long annoying tutorial but it certainly helps on that front.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty resilient when it comes to VR sickness. I binged the game when it came out and beat it over the span of 3 sessions within 24 hours of starting it.
I've heard ginger can actually help reduce motions sickness so maybe try that? Also are you using smooth turning or snap turning? Enable snap turning if you aren't using it. The low fov is supposed to help reduce motion sickness. Reduces the amount of objects you see in your peripheral view which helps with motions sickness. Personally it doesn't do anything for me as I don't get VR sick easily so I leave it disabled.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017

Do the VR legs go away? - as in say you obtain them and you stop playing VR for a month and come back to a VR game,
do you need to get them again all over again? How long do they last ? I don't know what VR legs are, and I'm starting to sound like a crazy person. :P LOL

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
I had to play it a certain way to not get sick.

1: Only move forward with the stick
2: Don't turn your head when going forward
3: If you want to turn, stop, turn with the stick, then go forward again
4: If you want to look around, don't move while doing it. Stay still and move your head.

Basically classic RE tank controls.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Do the VR legs go away? - as in say you obtain them and you stop playing VR for a month and come back to a VR game,
do you need to get them again all over again? How long do they last ? I don't know what VR legs are, and I'm starting to sound like a crazy person. :P LOL
Ha

I think they stay. I still find it quite tiring but never feel uncomfortable anymore.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Even though I write about VR as part of my job, I've never completely gotten "VR legs." RE7's original demo versions at expos were not optimized, and I ripped the headset off at one event and said "let me know when you fix this."

I'd say RE7's final PSVR version is up to snuff in terms of sit-down VR comfort. Movement speed, vision narrowing, and other tricks are all at the right point in the final version. Prepare to take breaks every hour or so, is all.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I finished it in VR when it came out, and I got pretty sick, played about an hour at a time. Don't ask me why, but I started playing the game standing up and it made me feel a LOT better, I got less sick, and I was able to beat the game in one sitting!

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
I played for like 8 hours, the best thing was playing standing up and turning ir real life to see corners and etc

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt play RE7 to get your VR legs, I would recommend something like REZ, Astrobot or Superhot to get you started. Using a controller to move yourself and your viewpoint is what can give me problems, but you will have a much better experience imo if you can play a game where you dont use the controller to move yourself or the camera very much.

In RE7 I also turned the R stick sensitivity almost completely down, and would move slowly without too many quick actions. This also may help once you are comfortable in other games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty resilient when it comes to VR sickness. I binged the game when it came out and beat it over the span of 3 sessions within 24 hours of starting it.
I've heard ginger can actually help reduce motions sickness so maybe try that? Also are you using smooth turning or snap turning? Enable snap turning if you aren't using it. The low fov is supposed to help reduce motion sickness. Reduces the amount of objects you see in your peripheral view which helps with motions sickness. Personally it doesn't do anything for me as I don't get VR sick easily so I leave it disabled.

I had to change snap turn to 50.o - LOW FOV helps a ton , but it looks bad :( - I want me the whole experience .
Cool- thanks for the data input - binge the game for 3 sessions 24 hours - noted ... thanks.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
1# ...Did some of you feel discomfort and how did you pull through?
- It's taking me forever to beat the game , because I can only play RE7 for5-10 minutes before I have to take off the head set
- I can increase my playtime say an extra 10 min if I go into the settings
and change the ( VR field of view?) to low ( default is automatic) , but then the image looks like I'm looking at the game trough a sniper riffle minus the cross hairs.

2# So I only play on the weekends - but how exactly do I get my "VR" legs - did some of you just kept playing daily
even though you felt discomfort? How bad can it get if I just continue to push and push - have some of you throw up?

Got so sick you couldn't walk for a few hours...I want to hear stories about how bad is this for your health if possible.

#3 - Is there some research done already - do people go cross eyed eventually? LOL or develop any sorta lost lasting symptoms?

#1 - I had already been using VR most days for a month before I got the game. I did put a few comfort settings on but I was able to play 1-2 hour bursts just fine. You've already done the comfort settings so perhaps you need to ease yourself into this experience by playing other less intensive games? /r/PSVR has a great spreadsheet rating games by VR intensity.

#2 - Yeah I played at least 5 days a week, but honestly recently I maybe play it once a week and I don't seem to have any problems. There are no known permanent health issues with motion sickness etc. Worst I had was an hour of feeling nauseous after playing Dirt Rally. Stop immediately if you feel sick, some say eating nutmeg or some shit or playing with a fan reduces sickness, no idea if that's an old wives tale or not.

#3 - Nah this is just bunk, but there probably should be more research on long-term effects I guess.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
stick to snap turn for well.. turning. don't go full smooth rotation if you do not have vr legs.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Some people just don't adjust well to VR. My advice would be just take some dramamine about 30 minutes before each play session. That will help.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I write about VR as part of my job, I've never completely gotten "VR legs." RE7's original demo versions at expos were not optimized, and I ripped the headset off at one event and said "let me know when you fix this."

I'd say RE7's final PSVR version is up to snuff in terms of sit-down VR comfort. Movement speed, vision narrowing, and other tricks are all at the right point in the final version. Prepare to take breaks every hour or so, is all.
Have you tried the ginger solution I posted? I've always been curious if it works or not but it wouldn't do anything for me as I dont get VR sick. The only thing that makes me feel odd is smooth turning

I had to change snap turn to 50.o - LOW FOV helps a ton , but it looks bad :( - I want me the whole experience .
Cool- thanks for the data input - binge the game for 3 sessions 24 hours - noted ... thanks.
Sorry I wasn't saying to binge the game like I did lol. I was just telling you how quickly I beat it since I don't get VR sickness

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
I only played it in VR once but I was able to play for roughly an hour in VR before I started feeling any discomfort. Ended up getting a slight headache so I stopped playing in VR. Guess I am lucky that I didn't experience issues sooner? Haven't really had any issues in other VR games I have played so far.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get any discomfort in VR and actually I often get annoyed at all the comfort settings being on by default in VR games. I changed everything to be super smooth and a snappy to make it a good experience for me. Like, the opposite of what you need I guess...

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt play RE7 to get your VR legs, I would recommend something like REZ, Astrobot or Superhot to get you started. Using a controller to move yourself and your viewpoint is what can give me problems, but you will have a much better experience imo if you can play a game where you dont use the controller to move yourself or the camera very much.

In RE7 I also turned the R stick sensitivity almost completely down, and would move slowly without too many quick actions. This also may help once you are comfortable in other games.

Funny you mention astrobot - to get my VR LEGS I platinumed that game and I never had any motion sickness issues -
Astrobot was my 2018 goty btw.
I had to play it a certain way to not get sick.

1: Only move forward with the stick
2: Don't turn your head when going forward
3: If you want to turn, stop, turn with the stick, then go forward again
4: If you want to look around, don't move while doing it. Stay still and move your head.

Basically classic RE tank controls.

I will definitely try this -- I wish the game would actually offer me this as an option
that would be gold.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I play for an hour or 2 at a time at most, and I take it slow. I got used to it by just staying still and looking around at objects and the ceiling and stuff. I have snap turning on which helps I think. It's moving that can be disorienting so just do that purposefully at first, moving in straight lines.

the problem is that i went under the house and there were these horrible goopy monsters that killed me. It didn't seem like there was much chance of me killing them, should I have ran past them instead? The game is terrifying and I haven't played it since.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I used the option that turned you in 30 degree increments and dimmed the screen. Otherwise i was fine. Did the whole game in 2 play sessions that way. Turning using an analogue stick in 60fps VR makes me ill. My field of vision turns to a literal slideshow. A 60fps slideshow, sure, but still a slideshow.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just had to play for as long as I could, and eventually I would start feeling queasy and had to stop for the night. It got a little better with each session.

I played with full camera control so the motion got pretty intense, but I think that's the way to go to really kick VR legs.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me, after a few months of not playing VR they do come back a little, but only shortly. My body re-adapts quickly.

Aug 15, 2019
I actually felt fine playing RE7 in VR........I will tell you what made me really feel sick.....Gran Turismo.....I played that sucker in VR down a friends house last week and maaaaan I had to rip the headset off after about 5mins or so......first time I have legit felt like i would puke from VR.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks to hear you couldn't enjoy it without getting sick.

I was worried I'd get sick playing VR but luckily it doesn't affect me negatively at all.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You might also want to check whether your VR view is 'wobbling' back and forward and take some steps to alleviate that (though sometimes it simply can't be fixed). I was playing Apollo 11 VR earlier and in the instances where you're literally just sitting in the cockpit watching things happen around you could make me motion sick really quickly because the VR was constantly moving back and forth.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The first time I got a VR I played it for 2 hours going from game to game and the motion sickness was HORRENDOUS. I had to lie down for an hour or two and I didn't feel right for the day.

I got my VR legs eventually playing all of The Assembly, it's a walking sim for basic puzzles and a nice story. By the time RE7 came out I binged it in 2 hour sessions for a week and only felt nausea once at the end of a session because my headset was too tight.

I would suggest a walking sim, and build yourself upwards. Basically, play until you feel sick, then stop, and keep doing that until you finish the game. You'll eventually have built up resistance and can go longer each time without motion sickness.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
I played sitting in a swivel chair and would physically turn with the chair when I wanted to turn in the game. I used the stick to control the camera only when I needed to and I think this helped me.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
No issues with vr myself, can play for hours, all in free motion, from the beginning. Lucky I guess.
RE7 was amazing in vr.

Vibbon

Jan 22, 2018
DFW Area, TX
I don't know how I'm alive, but RE7 was the first game I played on my PSVR headset and I went through the entire game in one sitting like an idiot.

Seriously though, what I did was I started off the game without headphones to keep myself grounded to my surroundings. Then I would start plugging in headphones for 5 minute increments when I would feel comfortable doing so. Then I would start increasing my time with them and eventually (around the halfway point) I was playing with them on and not experiencing any more motion sickness. And from there, I started disabling the comfort settings little by little and around the final quarter of the game, I was completely used to it. I did get a little nauseous/have some eye-strain the next day, though but it went away and I haven't had any problems since then. I can pretty much go head first into any VR game now and don't have any problems.

Hope this (some kind of) helps, but I would definitely recommend taking breaks every hour or so. I'm sure that would have curbed some of the distress it put on my body lol.

P.S.: I also don't know if this was a factor, but I was 24 so I may have also had some of the "youthful vigor" left in me. I also may have had a beer or two while playing, I'm not real sure.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Resident Evil was my first VR game and I used to get sick very easy, maybe not so bad as you but I could only play for an hour or so. But now I can play immediately any other game with all comfort options disabled, so do not despair!!

I little trick I found is trying to accompany the movements you do in the game with the movement of your head. So if you want to turn left, turn your neck a little bit to the left while you press the joystick. After a while you will do automatically, won't even have to think about it.

If doesn't help you, try playing other games (batman is great), I'll say resident evil is one of the hardest for starters!

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
I would caution against pushing through the discomfort. You'll start to associate VR with those feelings. Similar to how a certain food you used to enjoy was ruined for you when you got food poisoning after eating it. Not everyone is able to get "VR legs" but if you can, it's best to ease yourself into it by starting simple and doing progressively more intensive and/or longer length sessions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
You might also want to check whether your VR view is 'wobbling' back and forward and take some steps to alleviate that

I'm sorry - but is that in the PS4 settings or the actual Resident evil 7 options - could you elaborate more on this?
Thanks.

So far, there are alot of notes I'm taking from this thread

Food and medicen :Ginger & dramamine
Playing it standing up
Playing the game like RE tank controls

- Let's hope this helps the next time I play it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm sorry - but is that in the PS4 settings or the actual Resident evil 7 options - could you elaborate more on this?
Thanks.

So far, there are alot of notes I'm taking from this thread

Food and medicen :Ginger & dramamine
Playing it standing up
Playing the game like RE tank controls

- Let's hope this helps the next time I play it.

Ah, sorry. Yeah I should have elaborated there. Basically if you're sitting/standing still and you can see the game world (or the controllers or both) shift around you then you should try:
- Calibrating the PSVR in settings. Go to Settings -> Devices -> PSVR and then go through the three options (can't check the names right now) that are there to adjust the camera, headset and controller position. Then do as prompted.
- Adjusting your eye-to-eye distance. In the same settings you'll see an option for this. Take a picture and get as closely to the centre of your eyes as possible.
- Removing shining lights from behind where you'd be in a PSVR setup or, if you can't do that, do your best to dim/block those lights (I've got my camera facing a window that itself gets a lot of sun in the evening so this is a big issue for me
- Putting your camera around 6ft away from where you'd be when playing
All of those should help with the issue but, as I said, there's a chance it won't fix it completely. The PS Camera was not built for VR and that's blatantly clear.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Couldn't play this for very long in VR before feeling sick. Same with most FP games. No Mans Sky I had no sickness. Not sure why.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I used to get sick from playing first person games with free locomotion, and only played shorter sessions of those kinds of games for the first weeks or so that I had my PSVR. Eventually I got used to it, and I have no issues anymore. I can go for hours in RE7 without any nausea. Just don't push yourself. If you start to feel sick, either stop playing altogether or switch to a game without first person locomotion. You absolutely cannot power through VR sickness.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played RE7 in VR in one session. I'm just very fortunate but helping some other people; try playing in short sessions until you start to feel a bit wonky or worn out, then try again the next day and repeat. Certain settings will feel better to you so experiment and find what works for you.

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As resilient to VR sickness as I am, I still had to put hard limits on when I played. I played for 3 hours straight once and was legitimately sick for hours afterwards. It's best to simply play in bursts, take breaks, and play with someone else around.

Resident Evil VR is definitely one of my favorite gaming experiences, so it's definitely worth it.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
My experience with RE7 VR involved multiple 30-60 minute sessions per day. The more I played, the easier it got to play for longer sessions and more sessions in a single day. I think part of it was the horror tropes are most effective at the start, which makes for a tense and stressful experience, but it becomes more schlock-y as you progress.

Make sure your environment is conducive to VR. I had a comfy swivel chair and a ceiling fan

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If your playing and you start to feel sick then you need to stop immediately, it's not something you can brute force. Vr is different for everyone. I would deffinitly try something calmer then RE7 to get used to being in VR. download demos of some simple games like tumble vr, super hyper cube or thumper. Also look into free "experiences" those tend to be very low intensity and are very novel in the beginning of your vr journey. I liked allumette a lot. It's a short little story with lots of little details hidden around the environment.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Snap turn, smooth motion was the way to go for me.

If you get nauseous, take of the headset immediately and don't come back until they symptoms are completely gone. Usually a day will do it.

Your sessions will get longer as you progress. Your brain adjusts, somehow.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
VR legs isn't a thing. Good VR will be comfortable and bad VR will make you sick no matter how comfortable you usually are in VR. Everyone has a different limit for motion sickness/VR sickness.

Ive been gaming in VR since the DK1 came out (2013?) and I'm no more comfortable now than I was then. Bad VR will still make me nauseous. You just need to toggle on those comfort settings if you're feeling nauseous. You won't get used to it and, quite the opposite, you'll just make yourself worse if you try to push through it.

If you feel that sickness feeling coming on then stop and take the headset off. That's the most important thing I can say to anyone before they do VR. You'll fuck yourself up for future VR if you try to push through it.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I recommend snap turning only, make sure movement speed is on one of the slower setttings, drinking some ginger ale, and move the camera very close to the headset. I know 'world wobble' always gets me a little sick when i notice it on PSVR, and you can reduce it moving the camera closer (4-5 feet) . Like others said never try to 'push through it.'

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Early on it took me awhile to really get my legs for that game. I do remember towards the end when I was lost and didn't know what to do, I did close my eyes when turning from time to time when I knew I didn't have to pay attention.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You might also want to check whether your VR view is 'wobbling' back and forward and take some steps to alleviate that (though sometimes it simply can't be fixed). I was playing Apollo 11 VR earlier and in the instances where you're literally just sitting in the cockpit watching things happen around you could make me motion sick really quickly because the VR was constantly moving back and forth.

This is a real good point. VR 'wobble' comes from your camera placement being not ideal. Your view will slowly pulse or wobble back and forth. It's very common with PSVR because of the single camera solution. Generally the more cameras you add to your setup the more it will be eliminated. I used to get it ever so slightly with a two camera Oculus setup and it completely disappeared when I added a third camera.

When my PSVR view wobbles it kills me. I have to take the headset off. It's often subtle enough that I'll notice it only because I'm starting to feel nauseous.

Heyasuki

Nov 28, 2017
The most I can do is an hour and then the gear feels too heavy for me. I agree with others that standing when using a gamepad is super helpful, seems to mess with my head way less. Here's hoping to lighter my breathable headsets or PS9 contacts in the future =]

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just do a little each time.

I was sick after 10 minutes of RE7.

Next time I only lasted 30 minutes.

After that I just managed to stay in VR for as long as I wanted.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

At best, RIGS makes people hurl...i was in no way sensitive to VR but RIGS gave me a hot flash as soon as the jumping around began, wouldn´t recommend that for "getting VR legs" at all...if there is even such a thing as "VR legs", as i said some people have this more on a game to game basis, where they can play game x for hours but game y makes them uncomfortable.

VR is too intricate to just say "get some VR legs and you will be fine" -for some users, some games will never be fine.