• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
No at least not for mainline KH games, and this is coming from someone who loves FF7R's combat.

KH's combat is going in good places after the ReMind DLC, so i just want them to use that as basis and improve on certain elements.
What did Remind change in terms of combat? Loved KHIII, yet have to buy Remind.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering I love KH's battles and really didn't like FF7R's? I'd be very upset

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What did Remind change in terms of combat? Loved KHIII, yet have to buy Remind.
In terms of the base combat, it added a bunch of new abilities to make base Sora more fun in combat. These abilities were actually added in a free patch that everyone has access to.

In terms of enemy design, it has some of the best bosses in the medium.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not, KH is a BEAST of an action RPG with nothing like it gameplay wise.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Absolutely the fuck not. KH2FM and KH3Re combat runs circles around FF7R and most any action RPG. You cant get shit like Yozora, Xion, Master X or Xemnas boss fights outside KH combat

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
In terms of the base combat, it added a bunch of new abilities to make base Sora more fun in combat. These abilities were actually added in a free patch that everyone has access to.

In terms of enemy design, it has some of the best bosses in the medium.
Thanks, thats good to know! Still playing P5R but will buy Remind when finished.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
KH battle system is leagues above VIIR. VIIR should be copying KH. I can't even say VIIR battle system is more fun than XV's with that trash air combat and terrible dodge.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ewwww, fuck no. KH on the hardest difficulty/superbosses is the best in the business. I hope they take what they learned from kh3/re:Mind and keep going that way.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FFVIIR's combat is fun and I loved it, but it doesn't come anywhere close to KH when it's firing on all cylinders.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
What? No. What? Why?

I think FFVII Remake's battle system is great but Kingdom Hearts should definitely remain more action-focused and continue leaning into what it already does so well.

I especially wouldn't want FFVIIR's frankly poor aerial combat in KH.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not.

KH2FM combat, and KH3 Re:Mind combat, are absolutely fantastic action RPGs.

FF7R is a fantastic turn-based RPG with heavy action elements.

Two completely different genres. This thread is also mostly a bunch of people making veiled complaints about one series or the other without actually considering how well the combat system of one game would fit the other at all.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No at least not for mainline KH games, and this is coming from someone who loves FF7R's combat.

KH's combat is going in good places after the ReMind DLC, so i just want them to use that as basis and improve on certain elements.
Nah, Kingdom Hearts' combat is in a really good place since the DLC and it works fantastically as a more pure action system.

VIIR's combat is totally cool though.
I'm currently playing KH3 for the first time, still early but I'm loving the combat. Can you tell me what mostly changed with Remind? I googled and it looks like it added cancels for some combo finishers and faster air combos, is that mostly it?

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I don't think I would like it very much. It would certainly be interesting to be able to play as every character in your party but I like the system as it is now.

I feel Like KH and FF7R are pretty different from one another. KH is an ARPG that leans way more towards the action side of things (sort of like Platinum's ARPG efforts for example) while FF7R is like a more traditional RPG where you stop to think and exploit weaknesses. Both are fun so I would like to have them continue as they are now.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Not really but I'd welcome something like a Radiant Garden spinoff with a world as expansive as Midgar.

Do a Light Cycle game with Remake's bike section and I'd be set.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
I'm currently playing KH3 for the first time, still early but I'm loving the combat. Can you tell me what mostly changed with Remind? I googled and it looks like it added cancels for some combo finishers and faster air combos, is that mostly it?
That and it gave battles where the faster combos and mods are essential.

A lot of people thought the combat was too flashy at the expense of more complexity

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
The fact that it doesn't feel awkward and shitty like a mid-gen PS2 game? The fact that the cutscenes don't have stilted three second pauses between every line? That the locations have a sense of place?
We're talking about the combat systems exclusively here. Not the cut scene direction or levels.
The free patch added cancels. You can guard or dodge roll cancel pretty much any attack including finishers. And after you finish the game or have a clear file you get 6 new combo modifiers(with a finisher) that are much faster and absolutely essential for super bosses

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
They did add more combo modifiers, which ultimately makes the combat faster and more fluid.

I am however quite sure they won't unlock until after beating the game, sadly. But it makes new game+ playthroughs so much better. I can't imagine paying without them now.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Are there things they could learn from FF7R and incorporate into KH? Absolutely.

Copy pasta? Absolutely not.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
God no. FFVIIR had a solid system and it works well but KH is far more intricate and is a more balanced system in that it required well-timed attacks, blocking and dodging, VIIR had a lot of bullet sponges (so to speak) and with most of those required you to constantly batter them with attacks and / or use specific attacks to stagger and do damage that way, occasionally pulling back to cure / block heavier attacks. I'm sure on Hard it's a bit more balanced but with the way it plays it can't hold a candle to KH.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
I liked FFVIIR's gameplay, but KHIIFM and Patched KH3's gameplay is unparalleled in the market, simply the best ARPG gameplay out there. Now that Osaka team has finally figured out what the hell they're doing gameplay wise, I can't wait to see where they take it.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017

The changes were introduced in a free patch. ReMind was just the means to let the combat shine at its best.

The cancels they introduced are actually a huge deal because a certain two abilities have long animations, and to not be able to cancel out of them meant they were generally unsafe for stuff like Crit runs. Other than that, offscreen enemies can be locked on to and they tuned up guard (it was absolute trash before) so that now feels satisfying and lets you experiment with your approach. They also added two Keyblades that are pretty fun to use.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That and it gave battles where the faster combos and mods are essential.

A lot of people thought the combat was too flashy at the expense of more complexity
We're talking about the combat systems exclusively here. Not the cut scene direction or levels.

The free patch added cancels. You can guard or dodge roll cancel pretty much any attack including finishers. And after you finish the game or have a clear file you get 6 new combo modifiers(with a finisher) that are much faster and absolutely essential for super bosses
They did add more combo modifiers, which ultimately makes the combat faster and more fluid.

I am however quite sure they won't unlock until after beating the game, sadly. But it makes new game+ playthroughs so much better. I can't imagine paying without them now.
Thanks. So the new modifiers get unlocked after finishing it, got it. Glad to hear that the post game combat and bosses are fun and exciting, super hyped to get to that.
The changes were introduced in a free patch. ReMind was just the means to let the combat shine at its best.

The cancels they introduced are actually a huge deal because a certain two abilities have long animations, and to not be able to cancel out of them meant they were generally unsafe for stuff like Crit runs. Other than that, offscreen enemies can be locked on to and they tuned up guard (it was absolute trash before) so that now feels satisfying and lets you experiment with your approach. They also added two Keyblades that are pretty fun to use.
Long animations that can't be cancelled sound annoying, so it's good to hear that it isn't an issue anymore. Cancels are definitely a huge deal.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
100% no. KH is firmly an action game. FF7R's combat is great, don't get me wrong, but KH's is great for different reasons.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Kingdom Hearts combat is fine as it is. And I say that as someone who doesn't even play those games anymore

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
What? No. What? Why?

I think FFVII Remake's battle system is great but Kingdom Hearts should definitely remain more action-focused and continue leaning into what it already does so well.

I especially wouldn't want FFVIIR's frankly poor aerial combat in KH.
One thing I especially would want in a KH game is a bigger focus on platforming and using your actual skills to navigate.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KH3 post patch is better than FFVII combat. Though FFVII combat is extremely good in itself since it manages to keep the tactical aspect and team gameplay of the original in tact.

KH could work with this system, since Donald and Goofy would be useful then, but KH3 combat is in such a good place right now that they shouldn't alter it.

Both combat systems are good in their own right. Though FF can use some adjustments in terms of camera and loadout presets. I think we'll see improvements in the second game.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
While the games technically do have party members (usually), if we're being honest the games tend to be pretty tightly around playing one character, usually Sora. There are pros and cons to that. FFVIIR's combat makes the assumption that you will change your controlled character frequently and there is no "main". There are pros and cons to that too.

FFVIIR's combat isn't necessarily a good fit for KH, and KH's combat isn't for FFVIIR. The same goes for FFVIIR/KH in relation to any other RPGs, for that matter. Just because a group of games may fall under a particular label like "Action RPG" doesn't mean they all have the exact same priorities in how they're designed and their combat systems are interchangeable. It also doesn't mean there's an objective "best" system that everything else needs to use or match.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be fine with it, but it isn't necessary. While I think FFVII:R has the more enjoyable combat by far, KH's combat is fast and fluid by design. It doesn't have to be anything else.

Also, FFVII:R still has some small flaws and quality of life things to improve in its combat.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care for KH but you will have five parts that will have FF7R's gameplay. Wait a few years to see if you can even stomach it after so many games before calling for a Square Enix uniformization