• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What fixed your PS4 Pro's excessive fan noise?

• Replacing the thermal paste on the APU

Votes: 54 37.0%
  • Moving the PS4 Pro to a more open, well ventilated area

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Taking off the top and cleaning dust from the system fan

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Taking the PS4 Pro apart and blowing/sucking dust out of the inner enclosure

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Replacing the system fan with a different, quieter one

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other (elaborate in your post)

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I took the top and bottom off and used an air compressor on the heat sink and fan.

If you have any experience with opening up or cleaning electronics it's really easy, you only need to remove 5 screws (2 of which don't even need to be replaced) to get at it. Way easier to get at than the PS3 Phat in terms of cleaning.

After I cleaned it it went from the fan being full on all the time the moment you start playing, to only getting up to about mid, mid-high speed during the most intensive bits of The Last Of Us: Part II.

Night and day difference after cleaning, and again, super easy to do.

ajcacio

Mar 6, 2018
Sold my launch one and bought the red dead redemption 2 bundle model with the improved power supply. Dead quiet during TLOUp2

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I use 4 rubber 1" round 1/2" high feet, they were round screwdriver bit holders, it raises the base on the console off the unit just enough to reduce heat build up.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call this crazy... But I have my Pro on the lowest slot in my home theater cabinet. It doesn't have a glass front, but even in there it's very loud. Right now... I have half the console sticking out the front and I have a small 10cm×10cm box propped up under the front of the PS4 pro (so it's between the floor and the console)and (thats sticking half way out the cabinet hole) and its atleast 75% quieter..

Does this even make sense? It's quieter though. Lots of games that people say are loud are noticeably quieter than I remember. I'm playing Days Gone with 4K and it's definitely quieter.

I use 4 rubber 1" round 1/2" high feet, they were round screwdriver bit holders, it raises the base on the console off the unit just enough to reduce heat build up.
In a way... this would have a similar effect to what I've done.. is it quieter?

Last edited:

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Ventilation was never an issue for my PS4 Pro, nor was dust or the clamp. I tried changing thermal paste couple of times and that always worked for few weeks or months but it always reverted back to ridiculously loud. If possible, it seemed like it was even louder afterwards.

Luckily I finally solved my issue few weeks before FF7:R. The fix? Switched to another fan that is identical to the one I already had in the console. I had a Nidec fan, and replaced it with this Nidec fan with the same exact specification and the console has been quiet for 4 months now. Makes a huge difference in being able to enjoy games. Many scenes and situations in TLOU2 were elevated by simply being able to hear precisely what's going on using headphones. Previously the fan noise would overwhelm audio using semi-open headphones.

The air coming out of the console is roughly the same temperature with either fan. It's just that the console decided to run the old fan at thousands of RPM higher than the new fan. Go figure.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ventilation was never an issue for my PS4 Pro, nor was dust or the clamp. I tried changing thermal paste couple of times and that always worked for few weeks or months but it always reverted back to ridiculously loud. If possible, it seemed like it was even louder afterwards.

Luckily I finally solved my issue few weeks before FF7:R. The fix? Switched to another fan that is identical to the one I already had in the console. I had a Nidec fan, and replaced it with this Nidec fan with the same exact specification and the console has been quiet for 4 months now. Makes a huge difference in being able to enjoy games. Many scenes and situations in TLOU2 were elevated by simply being able to hear precisely what's going on using headphones. Previously the fan noise would overwhelm audio using semi-open headphones.

The air coming out of the console is roughly the same temperature with either fan. It's just that the console decided to run the old fan at thousands of RPM higher than the new fan. Go figure.
wish... Wish I could do this 😔

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Call this crazy... But I have my Pro on the lowest slot in my home theater cabinet. It doesn't have a glass front, but even in there it's very loud. Right now... I have half the console sticking out the front and I have a small 10cm×10cm box propped up under the front of the PS4 pro (so it's between the floor and the console)and (thats sticking half way out the cabinet hole) and its atleast 75% quieter..

Does this even make sense? It's quieter though. Lots of games that people say are loud are noticeably quieter than I remember. I'm playing Days Gone with 4K.

In a way... this would have a similar effect to what I've done.. is it quieter?

Ridiculously so, having it directly on the unit the fan noise is easily audible from my sofa 9ft away, and after a good gaming session the bottom of the pro is very hot.

Having it on the rubber pieces the fan noise can't be heard from the sofa, and the bottom of the pro is only warm to the touch.

Edit- Forgot to add that I made a hole in the backboard the exact shape of the the pros rear and it sits in it with the rear at the exit, this I did so the air is vented directly into the gap behind the unit with no way of feeding back into the unit itself.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculously so, having it directly on the unit the fan noise is easily audible from my sofa 9ft away, and after a good gaming session the bottom of the pro is very hot.

Having it on the rubber pieces the fan noise can't be heard from the sofa, and the bottom of the pro is only warm to the touch.

Edit- Forgot to add that I made a hole in the backboard the exact shape of the the pros rear and it sits in it with the rear at the exit, this I did so the air is vented directly into the gap behind the unit with no way of feeding back into the unit itself.
I see. Mmm.. so it's possibly the underside getting hot thats making the fan go beserk. I'm going to try elevating mine with rubber feet too, will see if it makes a difference.
Edit: So.. I raised my Pro while inside the cabinet with 4 empty bluray cases (on the edges of the console, both left and right), definitely still quieter than having it flat and without being raised.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Mine (Day 1 launch model Pro) is currently unacceptably loud - I just ordered some tools, some parts and a pair of 120mm Noctua fans with the intention of taking extreme measures - either way will silence it once and for all, lol.

Previously I changed the thermal paste for Noctua NT-H1, the pads for Thermal Grizzly and cleaned out all the insides (wasn't very dirty at all). That was a little over a year ago when playing God of War, and it made a considerable improvement at the time. Didn't last though, now Warzone makes it instantly to max volume hairdryer style, and TLoU2 while a little quieter I can still hear though my closed headphones and it often ruins the atmosphere.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
I've done the following on my launch PS4 Pro:
  • Replaced the thermal paste multiple times, currently using liquid metal
  • Replaced the thermal pads
  • Both top and bottom casing removed at all times
  • Arrangement of desktop fans sat under the console
  • Regularly clean out dust
Each of the above improved things slightly but it probably wasn't worth the effort as it's only gone from totally unacceptable to maybe just acceptable.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Use more force. Don't worry that it's too much. It takes a LOT! Easier on subsequent efforts though, which is why it looks so easy in a youtube video.

Honestly I tried to exert as much force as I could before it feeling like the plastic would literally bend and break beneath my fingers and since I want to sell my Pro when the PS5 comes I didn't want to risk any damage. Doesn't help that you can't get a good grip on it. I honestly feel these type of plastic-snap covers should be universally forbidden, screws are much safer and easier to maintain.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have been so tempted to open my day 1 pro up and clean the heatsink and replace all the thermal paste/pads but since the PS5 is nearly here and backwards compatible I will probably just sell it once I have the PS5 and shops won't take it if it has been opened up so I just have to deal with it.

But for 99% now I have to okay with headphones because the noise is ridiculous. The most striking thing is when you have been playing a game and then switch the console off, going from a hairdryer to silent just emphasises how damn loud it is.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Its gonna be a little bit of everything OP. Uncapped framerates crank the system to its limit and thus resulting in a louder noise as the fan is at maximum RPM. Things are exacerbated more in combination with poor airflow dust acoustic enviroment and placement.

If your Pro is not in a well ventilated area you'll have more problems. The thermal paste is by far the biggest change having replaced about 4 PS4s' this gen. This however is only neccessary after about a year or 2 after purchase. A full teardown system clean nidec fan and replacement paste and pads if you like can make a huge difference.

A tip someone on era shared was to cover the Ps4 with a cloth over it when not in use like you do with old furniture to stop dust when not in use.

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
Replaced the thermal paste and the fan. I'd tinkered around with console modding (OG Xbox so I could turn it into a media player back in the day) but was my first time doing what I'd class as a big job. Took roughly two hours, was being super careful and took my time and my previously mad noisy Pro was almost silent once I booted it back up again and tried a taxing game (used the recent God of War as a test subject) and it passed the "my ears aren't bleeding any longer" test.

A week later TLOU 2 dropped and I feared it would become a 747 again. Thankfully it took the game in its stride and bar a slight ramping up of the fan when pausing the game, it was a delight to use. How long it'll last is anyone's guess, but in the meantime, I'm very happy. If I can do it, trust me, anyone can. time, patience and don't be afraid to take a break.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
I changed the thermal paste once, which improved things for a while, then it became noisy again, so I opened it up, changed the thermal paste and replaced the thermal pads.

Only while doing so did I notice the *carpet* of dust blanketing the heatsink. So I removed that and closed it up again and its been fine for 6 months+. I think removing the dust was probably more important than the thermal paste/pads, but getting at the heatsink directly meant (IIRC) stripping down past the APU anyway, so... YMMV.

_RT_

Oct 31, 2017
My Death Stranding edition makes zero noise. But one note I never thought of till seeing someone else make the comment.... I ran my PS4 and this Pro off am external drive.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Sold base, noisy PS4 for white Battlefront bundled PS4 Pro. Ended up being even louder. Sold that and bought the newest revision this April, threw a laptop cooling platform under it. Didn't get obnoxiously loud during Last of Us until the end when I played for 6+ hours

Powerwing

Nov 30, 2017
  • Changed thermal pads
  • Changed thermal past
  • Changed Delta fan by Nidec One
Result : better but still not enough
  • Liquid metal (Grizzly conductonaut)
Result : much better but IMO still not enough and Sony really screw it up. Noise level will be my first criteria for next gen purchase

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Both my launch and God of War edition do a crap lot of noise.

The problem is that I won't be able to fix it any further, tried changing the fan + thermal paste of both with no success.

So I quit trying and use my Platinum while gaming lol

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
I replaced the fan, thermal paste, and thermal pads. That helped a lot, but it still got quite loud depending on the game. So now I just take the top off when the console gets real loud. Yes, I just remove the lid and set it aside. It actually works. Don't expect whisper quiet but it keeps the fan from shifting to maximum overdrive. When not in use I lay it back on top. We keep our apartment clean, have no pets, and don't smoke so no big risk for my console intaking unwanted debris.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I finally decided on replacing the fan. I did this for 2 reasons:

The external exhaust fans helped, but not as much as I was looking for.
When I build my first PC I wanted to have experience putting on thermal paste.

I got a kit that came with a thermal pad, Nidec fan, thermal paste, wet n dry pads to remove the old paste, screw drivers, some plastic thing to help remove cables, paste.

I replaced the thermal pads too. Its 14 of them (6 on one side, 8 on the other. You cut the pad to the sizes you need.)

Did all that, forgot about the power supply cord. It got stuck between the mobo and the plate, lol. So I had to lift the mobo up a lil, and didnt even check or reapply the paste.

So far so good. I dont know what singular thing worked best, but all that I did worked really well. And still using the exhaust fans. And putting on thermal paste isnt as bad as I thought.

Know what else helps? just lifting the lid off the console a lil. Dont even have to take the whole thing off.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
When I build my first PC I wanted to have experience putting on thermal paste.
Lol - you'll realize this when you build your PC, this was kind of an extreme deep-end dive! In PS4 / any console the chip is bare exposed silicon, much like it was in PCs from the 90s. Nowadays they are protected by a hefty metal heatspreader and there's almost no chance of causing damage with improper paste / heatsink application methods.

Congrats tho, def nerve-wracking to do paste on a Pro 1st time!

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Apparently I had a faulty HDD. When I replaced it with an SSD it stopped going into overdrive as much. Still plenty loud when I play something like TLOU2, but it doesn't do it as often before.

I don't care enough to replace the fan or the paste. I'm replacing it in a few months with a new console anyway.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I finally got a stand that's based on the official Pro vertical stand mold. How tight is the screw on this thing supposed to be? I got it about half a turn after starting to feel tension and the pro still wobbles a bit.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
through clever use of extension cords and a super long hdmi cable, I actually placed the unit outside of the room I was playing TLOU2 in, and closed the door

shit actually worked

though everytime I went to the washroom I heard the jet engine taking flight
I moved it away from us entirely and now I play via remote play exclusively. But God damn, as soon as I open the door of the wardrobe room where it is now you can hear it in the entire apartment (15m away, two open doors)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Lol - you'll realize this when you build your PC, this was kind of an extreme deep-end dive! In PS4 / any console the chip is bare exposed silicon, much like it was in PCs from the 90s. Nowadays they are protected by a hefty metal heatspreader and there's almost no chance of causing damage with improper paste / heatsink application methods.

Congrats tho, def nerve-wracking to do paste on a Pro 1st time!
Thanks. I'm ready now, lol.

I probably should have researched more about the thermal pads. Like could I replace them all or just one set? Oh well, I'm about to get the PS5 soon y...

The pads was something I did at the last minute. But my console is whisper quiet now. Cut scenes cause the ramp up still, but it's not as bad. Wtf is up with cut scenes? lol. I know Cerny explained it in the Road to PS5.

The exhaust fans are now louder than my console. That might be why the fan ramped up, because I now turn the exhaust fans off testing for noise.

Last edited:

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Call me crazy, but I actually didn't do shit? I mean, I did rearrange my furniture when I got a new TV, but if anything my PS4 Pro is now at a worse place for air circulation. But somehow it's been so much quieter? Genuinely don't get it.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Just going to grit my teeth at this point and complain about it for the next few months until PS5 drops. Assuming it's not as loud, I'll just get that at launch.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I remember reading about PS4 Pro fan noise,but I was used to the standard PC fan noise and assumed people were just not used to this kind of thing.

Bought some days ago a used launch PS4 Pro for 150€ , had some minor coil whine on games like Fall guys etc.,nothing out of the ordinary.

Today i installed Monster Hunter Iceborne,boot it up and.....holy hell,I have never seen any fan in a PC or console do this much noise. Literally a plane taking off

I'll try to open up and do some standard cleaning etc,see if I can help it a bit. Seriously though,If this is the default noise,I'm gonna be really sad :/