• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Only answer if you plan on getting both, but which System will be your Primary?

• Xbox Series X

Votes: 406 59.4%
  • PS5

Votes: 199 29.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 78 11.4%

• Total voters

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Undecided, but it seems like it would more likely be Xbox Series X since it's a big stronger. However, it really depends on what runs the game in question best.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
PS5. I'll pick up a next-gen Xbox refresh for exclusives or unless they do something crazy.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I'm on the fence about getting a Series X, I will probably get one though.

I'd make that my multiplatform system for sure.

Aug 23, 2018
If you own both consoles, I don't know why you'd go anywhere but Xbox for multi platform titles between the power difference and GamePass. Unless we are talking about multiplayer titles and end up where ever your friends are

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I keep going back and forth. I prefer the PS ecosystem, controller and my friends will be there, I don't actually care about the performance differences between the two because in all honesty it probably won't be big enough for me tell anyway, but I do like what MS is doing with BC and knowing my games will probably continue to work on the next box and so on, and who knows with Sony.

Feb 9, 2018
The Series X, most likely.

I buy PlayStation systems for the exclusives, but I've never really been partial towards PlayStation hardware or controllers (though the DS4 was a huge improvement over past PS gamepads). I've long preferred playing on Xbox, and everybody I play online with is on there.

The only time I didn't default to Xbox was the 4-year span between the release of the PS4 and the release of the Xbox One X. Not only did I buy a PS4 on day one (I was still a bit wary of Xbox as a brand at the time after the PR mishaps of 2013), but most games performed better on the PS4 than the XBO, being more likely to hit 1080p and/or 60 fps. Before the One X was released, I used my XBO for the exclusives and/or MP games. But when the One X was released, that became my primary as most games performed better on it than on the PS4 Pro (which I never got around to getting). I doubt we'll see significant disparities in performance between the PS5 and Series X, as 4K60fps should be the norm going forward.

Jun 4, 2019
Series X unless the DualSense really adds a level of immersion that the Xbox controller can't match. Do we know yet if 3rd parties are going to utilize it?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Most likely Series X but I'll also keep an eye on Digital Foundry to see where a version looks and runs the best, never know for sure.

If there are deals I can't pass up, that changes things too (pre-ordered Watch Dogs Legion on PS5 for $40 a little while ago for example).
This is basically exactly my plan. My default is Series X, based on what we know and have been told regarding overall power. If a PS5 version has significantly better load times, or is optimized better, I am 100% happy to get it there. Pricing and deals is a close second.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The Xbox (and PC) will be my multi machines, since we have regional pricing here, but sony hasn't implemented it in Argentina yet, so that'll remain an exclusives machine.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Series X will be my primary barring some huge performance disadvantage being discovered in multiplatform testing, which I don't anticipate.

PS5 for its exclusives.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Ps5, there will be no difference between multiplatform games, think some will be in for a shock when when we start seeing comparions. Sonys first party is better at this point.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The poll doesn't seem to match the topic, but Game Pass pretty much guarantees I'll be using my XSX for multiplatform titles primarily... probably on equal footing with PC due to GP being on both platforms. PS5 mainly for the exclusives, stuff I buy during sales, and VR.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Series X, I just like the controller a lot more for the overwhelming majority of games, and I am pretty sure performance will be better

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
Series X will be my third party and exclusive platform, primarily because I trust the direction Microsoft is taking with backwards compatibility.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
The small differences in GPU, ssd speed, CPU don't really impact my decision.
Overall UX is a way more important factor when choosing my main platform.
Personally I prefer PS controllers, I prefer their UI, I prefer the overall ecosystem. That's why the ps5 will (most likely) be my main platform.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Xbox for everything not PS5 exclusives. Especially with the way Microsoft handles BC.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Probably wait on reviews for any differences. But if things come out earlier on one machine or the other, I will just get it where it comes out first.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
PS5 all the way. Already in the ecosystem, better first party titles for me, plus I really don't think there will be a massive difference in third party titles anyway.

Going forward the Playstation is designed with BC in mind so I'm not bothered about anything prior to the PS4, been there done that, give me the new games rather than relying on older titles 🥱.

Domino

Oct 25, 2017
all my friends are on PlayStation so the 5 will be my main system, and I will use the Xbox for Gamepass games.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Playstation would have to do a lot of fixing up, to get me to make it my main console again. Its annoying because i dont like any Xbox exclusives. I much prefer Playstation exclusives, yet playstation pushes me the other way. As someone who gets both consoles for over a decade....I find Xbox does every thing else better to me. Sometimes its the little things. But a million little things add up.

Like last night i am browsing PS Now. And the little thumbnails are just gamebox art or whatever. There is no pop-up thing that tells you what the game is. The name etc. You just have to decipher what the game is by the thumbnail. Which is fine for a game u can recognize. Like a Ratchet & Clank game. But more than half of the games thumbnails are indistinguishable. Xbox would never do that. As soon as u would scroll over something in Xbox it would tell you the name of the game. Stupid things like that. There are just a million of baffling things that playstation only gamers are dealing with and probably have no clue.

Playstation. Which was my main in the PS2 era. And eventually became my main in the PS3 era. Took a backseat this gen. And i imagine will do so again this gen. Its not completely an exclusives machine for me tho. As i gameshare with someone. So i still buy some multiplats on there that would interest both me and my friend.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
PS5 for faster loading. at first I thought next gen loading will be like 2 sec on Series X and 1 sec on PS5, which is not that big of a difference. but if loading on Series X is like 8-10 seconds, getting to the game faster in 4-5 seconds on PS5 would definitely have an affect to my enjoyment, I think.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Series X.
I have more achievements and friends on Xbox.
I think itll be the go to console for Multiplats in terms of quality.
I fucks with Gamepass.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
God dammit the poll confused me and I voted wrong.

Edit The poll doesn't match the thread title, I guarantee I'm not the only one who made the mistake.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Series X. It seems more powerful, but I'll reserve judgement until an in-depth DF article drops. Still, I prefer the Xbox interface and controller so it's likely PS5 will be for exclusives only.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's really going to depend on how well Sony's and Microsoft's storage solutions work, because if I'm going to play a multi-platform game on consoles that are in the same general ballpark CPU/GPU-wise, I'll want to play it on the system with the fastest load times.

I'm leaning PS5 for that reason, but we'll just have to see how things pan out at launch. Regardless, I'll still likely get a ton of mileage out of the XSX just because of Game Pass.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Undecided as of now.

I was thinking I might do things on a game by game basis, or wait to see how notable the differences between the two versions are.

I'm thinking if the differences aren't that apparent (eg 1944p vs 2160p or something like that), then I might just stick with the PS5 as my primary platform for the controller (haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, built in mic, rechargeable battery etc), improved load times, and the fact that most family/friends I know are interested in a PS5 over the XSX. There's no guarantee there will be cross-play with every multiplayer game after all.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to the Digital Foundry comparisons in the coming weeks.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I guess it will really depend on the game. If the performance is similar, I'd probably prefer the PS5 because of the controller. But for most people, it will come down to either where their friends are or what DF says for a specific game :)

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
If you own both consoles, I don't know why you'd go anywhere but Xbox for multi platform titles between the power difference and GamePass. Unless we are talking about multiplayer titles and end up where ever your friends are

Some games may come with cool controller features like adaptive triggers. I know Era doesn't care about that, but I'm really excited about the possibilities there. Also, some may end up running better on the PS5, the power difference is not that huge so that it may come down to optimizations. Of course, I expect most multiplay games to run better on the Xbox, but you asked for potential reasons.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Definitely Series X. Likely better performance and better controller for me. I can't stand symmetrical sticks.

Only got a PS5 for exclusives, and given Sony's plan to release some of them on PS4, I probably didn't need to purchase a PS5 for a while since I'm not a Souls fan. But I'm a sucker shiny new boxes and that new console feel.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
controller feel, performance on Multiplatform games, quick resuming.. definitely not until I get a feel on the benefits of each system. im more open to becoming xbox primary as the days go by

++ rechargeable PS5 controller, less stress buying batteries/rechargable batteries
++how snappy is the blu ray playback, how quick is the button press to eject a disc

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Xbox Series X for sure. Xbox has been my main place to play since the original came out. Got hundreds of games. Also seems like the more future-proof option.

PlayStation 5 for exclusives, and games without cross-play that friends want me to play with them. Though I'm not a big fan of Sony's exclusives, so I don't know how many games I'd actually get for it. Most of my PlayStation 4 games are fighting games that I got to play with friends.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Series X of course, however, it makes sense to pick PS5 if your friends are there.

Out of my close-knit group of friends (about 8 of us), I'm literally the only person that has owned a PS4 & Xbox.