• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Only answer if you plan on getting both, but which System will be your Primary?

• Xbox Series X

Votes: 406 59.4%
  • PS5

Votes: 199 29.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 78 11.4%

• Total voters

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Normally at this point in a launch year, I'm pretty confident getting/preordering games for one vs another. Starting at launch it was PS4 for me until the One X came out, and since then all my multi-platform have been for that system. Now with the PS5 and Xbox Series X coming, I am unsure which system to buy Cyberpunk, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, or Dirt 5 for. Is anyone else still undecided this late in the game?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Series X, probably. Only got the PS5 for exclusive.
In reality I'm just gonna wait for the digital foundry video to see what my best choice is with each game.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Unless cross-play really takes off it'll probably be PS5 as I play with more people on Sony's system.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm alternating between the two depending on the type of games. Most sports games I'm buying on Series X and probably any shooters I pick up. If there's a next gen Ace Combat released down the road that's for sure a PS5 game for me.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I'm getting both and I also have a really good PC. Honestly it depends on the game.

Oct 25, 2017
For someone buying games with foward compability/Backward compability in mind, Xbox has a more mature and stablished solution for that. Otherwise, games are going to be very close between the consoles.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Series X for most multi platform games.
PS5 for exclusives and mostly Japanese gaming fare... just can't get unique/niche games on Xbox.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hm, Series X will be my GamePass machine. Unless third party games are significantly better on the X I will get everything else on PS5.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Too early to decide before we know the impact of the controller and the performance differences (load times, res,framerate etc..)

Stormblessed

Feb 21, 2019
I like the achievement system better than trophies so I'll prolly use the Series X. The PS5 is gonna be an exclusive and Japanese machine

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
probably PS5 for anything multiplatform I *buy*. Any multiplatform on gamepass I'll obviously play there.

I am just more likely to play on PS5 (XSX is more a gamepass/MS first party box) so it makes sense to me to have most of that under one roof so to speak. And maybe they'll leverage haptics/gyro. I personally doubt the performance difference will be meaningful so doesn't really factor into my choice.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox. I have confidence my collection will both follow me and only get better with each console they release.

Mar 8, 2018
Series X seems like the move for multiplats because of the power, all the cross compatibility with PC (like cross save), and the assurance of robust backwards compatibility and continuity going forward.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Most likely Series X but I'll also keep an eye on Digital Foundry to see where a version looks and runs the best, never know for sure.

If there are deals I can't pass up, that changes things too (pre-ordered Watch Dogs Legion on PS5 for $40 a little while ago for example).

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Between Gamepass and the handle the digital purchases follow I just feel more comfortable making Xbox my main console. But still need PS5 because Sony as a publisher is one of the greats.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I'm voting X bc I assume we'll have moderately better performance but we'll see?

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
In lieu of a PC I need the most processing power I can afford for games like Cyberpunk. Series X fits that bill, just as my X1X did.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Series X

better perfomance, gamepass

...and MOST OF ALL. - 100% guarateed forward enhanced compability thanks to the hypervisor design of the xbox os

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Team PS5 why? Every game gets timed exclusive rights on it which isn't a game changer but is still something.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of maybe playing with friends on one console, I can't imagine a single reason you'd go with PS5 for third party games if you have both consoles.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If I can ever get a Series X, that will be for exclusives and Game Pass.

PS5 will be my primary console.

I don't plan to buy too much for Series X, and I have a back log for both PS4 and XBO games.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I voted as "undecided", because it really depends on the type of game. For single-player third party games, it'll depend on what platform runs them best, as well as whether or not it has a chance of coming to Game Pass.

For online games, it'll be all Xbox for me. I have an Elite Series 2 and a solid wireless headset that's only for Xbox. I don't feel like re-investing in that stuff just to play online via PS5.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I suspect most people getting both are xbox fans who only want playstation for exclusives, I believe 98.7 % of playstation fans do not care enough about xbox exclusives or gamepass to get an xbox or if they do they might just play them on PC or the cloud.

Series x will have 99% of the time the better looking and performing games aside from load times.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Series X for everything that isn't a Sony exclusive. PS5 for my GOTY candidates.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always get a single system at launch so PS5. I haven't been able to pre-order one though.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Probably Series X for most big AAA multiplat this time (but doesn't mean I won't be opportunistic if theres a PS5 sale or if Digital Foundry puts a PS5 title ahead). PS5 will be all about its exclusives and a lot of Japan centric stuff that just doesn't come to Xbox.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Series X for almost everything that is not exclusive to the PS5 except for those multiplayer games where cross play can be turned off on the PS5.

I have no problem playing with cross platform console players but I can do without the pc cheaters.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty sure that anyone who is getting BOTH systems has in mind that the more powerful system will be the multiplat system.
This, on paper, would be the series x.
However, if this gen isn't as straightforward as last gen and PS5 shows some key benefits over the Series X without any or very little tradeoffs, that could change how people buy their games.
For example, if resolution and FR is same but some effects are slightly dialed down a little but loading on PS5 is 2x faster, people could gravitate to PS5.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
If I end up with both then it will depend on the game, unless there is a major performance difference it will probably be PS5 version due to quicker loading and I prefer the controller.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
MS stuff and multiplats on XSX, Sony exclusives on the PS5. Unless a game runs better on PS5 of course.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The X will be my third party machine choice unless I feel like some games will benefit more from the haptic triggers on the PS5 somehow, like if Farcry 6 really utilised them or something.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Series X. Way better bc policies, perfect controller, probably better performance... It is a no brainer for me.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Series X is foremost a Gamepass machine. If I'm deciding between which system to buy a multiplat on, for me, it comes down to controller. I'm one of the odd ones who prefers the Dualshock to the Xbox controller (just works for me better), so I might go PS5 more then the X.

Framerate is also more important for me then res, so whichever system holds 60/120 better is the one I will also gravitate towards.

Last edited:

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely getting both, but I'll defer until Digital Foundry's analyses before decided on which system I'll main. Currently I only have a PS4 Pro.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Oh gamepass is something I forgot about. I imagine that any game that comes to gamepass, people will just play it on that, despite whatever differences there are between systems.