• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm not really sure what the purpose of playing a Souls game would be if it wasn't for the difficulty / gameplay. The story is basically non existent in the games unless you read every item description. There would be literally zero reason to even play the games if you walked around as basically a god.

I just recently dropped Kingdom Hearts halfway through Monstropolis because the combat was like sleepwalking. Sooo dull.
Same thing happened to me and my friend group. We were all hyped on KH3 then got about 2 hours into the game and all stopped playing because of how stupidly easy it is. Now we're just waiting for critical mode and hoping it'll actually be fun to play.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Because I come home tired and frustrated and the last thing I need is a video game tiring me out and frustrating me. I finally beat Dark Souls after about 4 years of going back and forth on it but as much as i'd like to play the other games in the series sometimes I just need something that's going to help me relax.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
im more than happy to git gud in a game like Super Meat Boy where i actually get to play the thing, the tedium after a death in bloodborn/demon's souls is not my idea of fun

but thats just my personal preference

i can handle frustration if the game is good enough, i cannot handle the continued tedium of not actually playing no matter how good the game is

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
The critical acclaim and over enthusiastic fan base might lead someone to try a game, but dying and redoing sections because something is poorly balanced isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. Imagine once you beat one the rest will be simpler to "get", but one bad experience could keep people from the franchise
The games aren't poorly balanced though...like at all...

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have a big backlog and playing a game where I have to repeatedly hit my head against a brick wall takes time away from a game which could potentially be my favourite of all time. Plus I'm fucking old, I grew up playing difficult games, I actually like that today I can play and complete games in a reasonable manner.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
sgotuh1meno11.png

VERGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL

I am of the belief that any game that has easy mode become selectable like this will have a very, very small number of people actually pick it out of pure spite.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
To my fellow Souls fans: please stop using "git gud" when talking to people outside of the fanbase, it's a bad meme to use for a reason, lots of people kept using it as a dismissive answer when people were looking for help.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
The Souls/Bourne/Sekiro games are specifically designed that way to match the overall theme of the game. There's a reason why the mechanics are related to dying over and over and over again. They are all thematically tied together. Now if you remove that and made an "assist mode" you've basically gone against the maker's (Miyazaki's) intention. THe game is not made to be difficult for the sake of difficulty. It's about trial and error, death and rebirth.

I'm aware, and that's exactly my point.

People who want an easy mode don't care for FromSoftware's development philosophy, or even for the way they make games. They just want to be able to consume another popular game.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the difficulty in these games is way overstated. I also disagree with the premise that dying is this inherently negative roadblock that reinforces failure. That's a personal hangup. One can play From games and die and learn. You're dying and you're still learning and getting better, and ultimately these games are about getting better. You can beat these games without leveling up or wearing armour.

To me, that's a game that does respect someone's time. There's no grinding or farming to progress, just the time you put in. Plus, these games aren't overly long. They are not 100 hour games.

I put about 20 hours into DaS, got to Sen's Fortress, but ultimately the game's style isn't really for me. I stuck with it because of the hype but I prefer snappier ARPGs like DD:DA or MHW, so I don't think From Games are for me, and that's okay.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Because I'm not a jobless teenager anymore and have real life responsibilities to attend to.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
I'm really interested in those games from a mechanics and lore perspective, but I have a wife, 2 kids, a dog, a full time job, and other hobbies. Investing the time necessary to get good enough at those games would require me to drop other games off my plate (because everything else I listed is more important to me), and I guess the final answer is I refuse to do that. I refuse to do that because a lot of the games I play these days are either releases from the rest of the day, or multiplayer where I can talk/interact with friends, and the idea of spending multiple nights in a row struggling at a game before making any progress is unappealing enough that the lore and mechanics interest isn't enough.

To be clear, I'm not complaining about my life or From. I wish I had the time, but I just don't anymore.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't want to sacrifice my time, social skills, dietary habits, romantic prospects and grooming practices if it means I can "git gud."

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Was it the maker's intention to me seeing only 10% of his game? (Talking about Bloodborne here)
Some people may like the lore, atmosphere and level design of the games but not necessarily the difficult combat. For them (us) these games are inaccessible

There are a lot of lore videos out there? A lot of let's play. And like I said, the game was intentionally made that way to fit the theme. The idea of dying over and over in these types of games are literally bounded in the games' lore.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Because I come home tired and frustrated and the last thing I need is a video game tiring me out and frustrating me. I finally beat Dark Souls after about 4 years of going back and forth on it but as much as i'd like to play the other games in the series sometimes I just need something that's going to help me relax.

Did you enjoy Dark Souls while you played it?

im more than happy to git gud in a game like Super Meat Boy where i actually get to play the thing, the tedium after a death in bloodborn/demon's souls is not my idea of fun

but thats just my personal preference

i can handle frustration if the game is good enough, i cannot handle the continued tedium of not actually playing no matter how good the game is

Then are you actually interested in Soulsborne? Like, is it just the tedium that you hate and but for that tedium you would be all over those games?

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This discussion has already had and continues to have multiple threads related to it. For example here are two other threads in which you can discuss the difficulty of Fromsoft titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.