• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Like seriously, how are you getting by? Every time I undock this system and try to use it in handheld mode, I feel like I'm Dr. Strange and just had several hand surgeries. I just can't do it. Nothing feels right. It's too thin for a comfortable grip, the analog stick feels too high up the joycon, the dpad(or directional buttons) are too low down the joycon, the L/R buttons are too small, the A, B, X, and Y buttons are downright tiny. The only tolerable holding position is when I'm sitting up right and my arms are laying on something to support them like a table, or resting on my legs. I can't play this thing while laying in bed. I get frustrated and stop after 15 minutes. My last hope is one of these:

61zrh9LzBzL._AC_.jpg

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I just hold it like I've held every other handheld video game device since the Game Boy and it works fine

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know what to say, none of these are a problem for me. I play my switch 99.99% of the time in handheld mode while laying in bed, and the only thing that hurts is my neck, but that's only because of an old neck injury.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just... play it? Most of the time I play it just fine in bed too.

Could be lighter but it's a solid handheld.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I find it pretty uncomfortable after an hour at most. Sometimes right away. If I have to occupy myself with it for very long, I'll put it on the little kickstand and take the controllers off.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I never had a problem with ANY handheld device, except maybe with the Game Boy Micro, so I really don't know what to say.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch is the first handheld in decades I've not had to buy a seperate grip to hold comfortably. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I play it most in the subway on my communes to work. It's not the most confortable handheld to hold for a prolonged amount of time, but it's fine.

My only issue is that for me, My Friend Pedro is unplayable in handheld mode without a pro controller, which is very frustrating as it is a perfect commute game.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's shitty design for normal sized hands. I got a case that makes it feel like regular controllers on the side. Much better now.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I first put powder on my hand, stretch my fingers, spray down my Switch woth am adhesive and proceed to hold it while supporting it with a special cushion.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's hands are different. It isn't very uncomfortable for me. It's not COMFORTABLE, mind you, but it's usually totally fine.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
My fingers are stretched out flat to the back of the device. I don't grip the device really, it lays in my hands.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I've actually never once played mine in docked.

I don't even have a TV to hook it up to.

I don't really have an issue with the joycons.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I played 3ds and vita and both were alot worse to hold. Switch I can hold a lot more comfortably unless the type of game requires to hold it uncomfortably

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Skull and Co. Grip and I have massive hands. Super comfortable. And my hands are the size of tables. Dining room tables.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I play 100% of the time on handheld I just don't feel lile plugging my switch whatsoever. Tho I agree that it has HUGE problems and grip isn't one them rather the d-pad on handheld is probably worst D-pad on a controller I have ever tried. When you play shooter with or anything that requires aim then I will be having one of the most frustrating time while playing.

Dpad on handheld truly the worst and words con't describe.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I use the Satisfye grip. I can only hold it without the grip if I'm playing something like Three Houses where I don't need to use the right stick often/at all. I also plan on getting those Hori Joy-Cons, mostly because I'd like to have better thumb sticks.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My problem isn't even that the controller is bad to use because I'm not playing anything requiring the most precise controller use for competitive reasons.

My problem is that I got big boy hands. And those little joycons are for people with baby hands. So if I play for a long time my hands cramp up like a motherfucker. Fire emblem was the worst cause I wanna play for long sessions but my hand would stay in claw shape later

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As long as I have something to lean my elbows on (like an arm chair, desk, bed) it's perfectly fine for me. I'm not really sure I understand the issues some people have with it.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I understand where OP is coming from. I play it docked most of the time but when i do play it in handheld I usually rest it on a table or on my bed the same way I do for my ipad. Or otherwise do what you do to find something to support my arms. The thing is just way too heavy and uncomfortable to hold for any long stretch.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I haven't had any serious problems with it, but I have noticed that if I play it while lying on the couch I will sometimes get a radiating pain that runs up and down my left arm after extended play. I think maybe I'm gripping it too tightly or it has something to do with the way my arms is bent while playing.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only problem I have with playing the switch in handheld is that I can't use the joycon directional buttons (or the hori dpad) comfortably, due to the placing of them underneath the left analog stick. I'd love to see a grip/case made for the grip combo that makes it easier. As it stands I feel i have to contort my arms awkardly so one juts out more than the other just so I could rest my thumb on the dpad.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand using the Switch without any kind of grip.

This is the grip I use. (Or at least I think it is. Looks like they may have slightly redesigned it since I got mine) It's a little heavy, but super comfortable, and easier on my hands than just playing the system on its own. The thumbpads it comes with kind of suck though.

switchgrip-hero_bgno_1200x.png

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I play my Switch in handheld mode by holding the left side in my left hand. The right side is held in mynright hand. I use my thumbs to manage the analog sticks and buttons.

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
I mean, I guess my pinkies go numb sometimes, but that's probably just me holding it wrong or something.