• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

new game comes out with state of the art graphics, are you WOWed like you used to be?

• Yes, just as much as the old days

• somewhat, i still find myself thinking "damn these some nice graphics" but not as much as i used to

• rarely. the visual "floor" now is high so most things look good so theres no massive leaps anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 25, 2017
As poll says :) for me, personally, i used to be floored, but now, most games look pretty good, so even when a shit hot game comes out looking great (tlou2, cp, etc) i dont find myself struck like i used to be

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing tlou2 and it looks damn good. I played Demons Souls remake at launch too and couldn't believe how good it looks and at 60fps. Flight Sim is just incredible too. So yeah, still pretty wowed overall.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always find impressive visuals impressive. I'm more into well done stylized stuff than realism.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I started gaming around the middle to end of the PS1 generation. Usually, graphics still impress me, not always for how real they look, but how like, nice they look. Games have only been getting more beautiful. Like movies, like, actors don't get more realistic, but the way you can frame them on the screen and how action scenes look get better with new movies.

Oct 28, 2017
Yesterday, I completed a full play-through of Dragon Age: Inquisition on PC, it's still a stunner. What I am trying to say is that I'm still impressed by good visuals, but it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest.

Gears of War (1st) was the last game where I was really wowed by the jump, but I don't really mind this, plenty of great looking new games coming out.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing video games from 92,93 (my first console was Atari 2600 and then NES and Genesis) and amazing graphics still make me surprise sometimes. Not as much as previous generations (2D to 3D graphics, PS1 to PS2 and PS2 to PS3), but a game like The Last of Us 2 on a 7,8 years old hardware can still blow my mind these days.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I think the ability to be truly wowed left me when the Skyrim ports came out and I saw a video in a GameStop talking up its "volumetric god rays."

I'm much more impressed by an interesting art design these days, but that's not to say I mind a, say, Ghost of Tsushima. It's just that it doesn't leave me open-mouthed.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
No not at all. Haven't been impressed since Dreamcast. Shenmue was my peak. Basically everything looks good now and there isn't any company out there making exclusive pc games trying to push graphics as far as possible anymore.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
VR this gen was the biggest leap we've had in gaming since the jump to 3D. Absolutely blew me away.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Started gaming in 1990 on an ibm compatible 8086 and NES, and for me, no.

"good enough" for me has been reached in terms of overall fidelity quite some years ago. I haven't been impressed by that since probably the Gamecube launch & Rogue Leader.

Only thing that wowed me this past gen was Cuphead with its Fleischer style animation.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
My old head is the same age as the rest of my old body and yes, the collective organism that is my old self can still be wowed by graphics just like the old days. For reference, I started gaming on the Atari 2600, Colecovision, and Commodore 64. We've certainly come a long way, but there's always some new wonder to see.

Deleted member 90386

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 21, 2021
Not really, in fact seeing such large leaps between platforms makes things like the difference between PS4 and PS5 barely noticeable. Maybe I'll change my mind when there are more than two PS5 exclusives available

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Well early graphics were highly stylized and we were impressed by such things as sprites on screen, smooth scrolling, sprite size, color usage, parallax and special effects, but utimately the picture being rendered on screen are abstracted cartoon images no matter how good it looks, it required a certain level of imagination to see the awesome graphics as being representative of something in the real world. Those graphics can still impress today actually.

Graphics today that are gritty and realistic are much less impressive, because they tend to date themselves. No matter how emphatic posters are about the graphics of some games, they have a habit of moving on to the next shiny thing and if you go back to look at the awesome graphics from 2015 , they already look dated. If games do that visually, then they never had great graphics. They merely pushed the limit of what was possible on a very narrow definition of graphics at a certain point in time. Just like the realistic graphics of the 2000s were marred by the overuse of bloom and brown, the 2010s is marked with ugly uncanny valley humans in acceptable looking environments. My favorite really good looking games remain purely environmental walking sims because I think GPU tech can do realistic looking environments really good now. Not so for a lot of other things.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I started out with 8-bit games on microcomputers in the mid 80s, where even the late NES games felt like a leap. The move to 16-bit felt huge, like the games becoming all that they should have been all along. Pretty much everything looks good to me these days compared to the leaps between earlier generations. I can see the improvements and appreciate the huge amount of work that goes into it, but I haven't seen a generational leap that's impressed me in the same way for a while now. Similarly, pretty much everything looks 'good enough' to me too, as my bar of what a bad game looks like is presumably very, very low :D

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
Just like in the old days.

It's pretty amazing to me that every gen I can't imagine better graphics, then all of a sudden, Boom! The next big thing hits.

For example, right now, I can't imagine what games will look like the next gen. I'm sure they'll blow me away.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
I've been playing since Atari 2600 and NES days. I didn't get a PS4 or X1, and thought graphics had pretty much peaked.

But I got a Series X and LG OLED this year. I'm blown away by Doom Eternal, Forza Horizon 4, and Jedi: Fallen Order. Doom Eternal especially.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Seeing how different art styles come to life is what gets me excited. And it comes down to the game , right. Like TLOU2 looks incredible but in a totally different way to what makes Guilty Gear Strive look stunning. So for me, it's a combination of graphics + art style that still makes me go "wow".

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Graphics haven't impressed me in a "holy crap that looks so much better than things used to!" way in a long, long time.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So I've been playing pre-Nintendo and while I can appreciate great graphics and they do add something to the experience some of my favorite games are not good looking games at all and frankly I would prefer if developers mostly returned to the graphical fidelity of 15-20 years ago if it also meant that games were released more often and that they took more interesting risks in terms of game design.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Good art direction is more important than having the latest tech, but when both are there I'm still blown away.

Sometimes specific details are what I find impressive, like how skin is rendered, facial animations, lighting, etc.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yes and no

in a utilitarian sense i'm constantly impressed how stuff can get pulled off. but that sense of "wonder" isn't particularly there anymore, if that makes sense

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Rarely, mostly because most game "formats" have been stuck in the same templates since the PS2/Dreamcast era. I can appreciate tech/scene demos though.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
No. I can appreciate them and think a game is beautiful, but at no point do I truly feel those same things I felt seeing all the graphical effects in Castlevania IV for the first time, or playing a game like Mario 64, or the first Gears, when it comes to graphical leaps.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The jump from 2D to 3D was magical in a way that was beyond comparison. But in general, graphics still continue to impress me to this day. Nowadays it tends to be more in the form of impressive art styles tho.

I was very impressed with the new Ratchet and Clank game on PS5, for example.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. I can barely tell this gen and next gen apart. Everything is just marginal jumps in resolution and texture quality.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll always be fascinated with the various ways we make triangles look pretty and draw fast.

Between stuff like raytracing, ai upscaling (both 'live' and retexturing mods/work) , and Microsoft's auto HDR stuff, 'pretty visuals' means all kinds of different things now. I find a lot of that stuff interesting and impressive on its own right, even if there's less "how does this run on mortal equipment" reactions like I had with Crysis.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
For a few minutes I am super impressed but not as much as before. I've been playing games since the 80s, mostly PC for a long stretch but now usually just on consoles. Recently finished Control on PS5 and it was impressive but it was the story and setting that really will stick with me, not the visuals.

I do really look forward to playing the next ratchet and clank, that looks really neat from a technical perspective with the instant level leaps and stuff. Stuff with faces and "hyperrealism" don't really matter much to me anymore, I don't really care how good faces look in Last of Us 2 or whatever.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Good art direction is more important than having the latest tech, but when both are there I'm still blown away.

Sometimes specific details are what I find impressive, like how skin is rendered, facial animations, lighting, etc.

Yeah agreed, I think art direction and attention to detail is getting more important as well because most generally games have been looking good for years now. GoW still looks fantastic, for example.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, characters were a bunch of blocks when I was a kid.

The details that we have now are astonishing. I remember being impressed when we could distinctly see Spider-Man's eyes and spiders on his costume. Now you've got fabric textures and reflections on the eyes, and perfect webbing - it's just insane. Photo modes are just incredible.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Yes i do, but they are definitely not some kind of major selling point for me anymore like they used to be. If a game looks interesting i'll play it regardless of how pretty or not the graphics are. At the same time if i play a game that looks amzing i will be amazed lol.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
It depends.

Lately I have been thinking about how far the graphics technology has come in my lifetime. I am still really impressed by the latest tech, and I want to see it implemented well. I love good ray tracing and HDR.

But the jumps are not the same as they once were.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing since the '70's and Virtua Fighter 3 in the arcade was the last time I was impressed by high end graphics.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, do they impress the fuck out of me. I just got a 4k TV and playing Miles Morales and God of War on in HDR and on 75 inches is very impressive.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last two generation transitions are the first time I haven't really been wowed and I am an oldie. I feel like halo 4 and the last of us still looked better then many ps4/xbone games released and this generation transition has been very underwhelming. Ray tracing nowhere to be seen and nothing that looks better than PC at launch like their traditionally is at console launch. If devs get ray tracing figured out I think I could be wowed again, but we shall see.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well early graphics were highly stylized and we were impressed by such things as sprits on screen, smooth scrolling, sprite size, color usage, parallax and special effects, but utimately the picture being rendered on screen are abstracted cartoon images no matter how good it looks, it required a certain level of imagination to see the awesome graphics as being representative of something in the real world. Those graphics can still impress today actually.

Graphics today that are gritty and realistic and less impressive, because they tend to date themselves. No matter how emphatic posters are about the graphics of some games, they have a habit of moving on to the next shiny thing and if you go back to look at the awesome graphics from 2015 , they already look dated. If games do that visually, then they never had great graphics. They merely pushed the limit of what was possible on a very narrow definition of graphics at a certain point in time
Yup it's why GG XRD still looks so good despite being pretty much 7 years old now and on unreal 3
Z7DkM7B.gif
38ba4d344b9ca46b1c244ac5e7bf6eed.gif

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Sure but it isn't just appreciating big AAA blockbuster stuff. I appreciate stylized visuals, animation, attention to detail, shadows and lighting.

I was playing Grandia for the Saturn the other day and the first ruins section with the giant heads turning towards the door still struck me as impressive and really cool looking. I'm still impressed by aesthetic.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gaming since tetris/prince of persia on dos and i still like seeing gfx advancing in games. since the hd era its impressive, earlier 3d was a mess however

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
PS2, Cube, Xbox was the last time I was blown away. Everything since then has been it looks better, but not mind blowing better.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
just as much but with me it has always been little things like animations, enemies reactions, views/vistas. that sort of thing, games still make me stop and look at things.

when i eventually get a ps5 i'm sure things will blow my mind in 4k and RT since i'll be going from a launch ps4.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I started gaming around Tennis for Two, and not am not really wowed these days other than maybe fancy particle effects or unusual artistic stylings.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics do nothing for me unless the underlying game is good. Even outside that, the only time I was impressed by graphics on a technical level in the last 10 years was the Demon's Souls Remake. Art-styles can still impress though, like Cuphead or Hollow Knight.

/edit: I tend to be much more impressed by retro games and what they were doing.