• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 1, 2020
My biggest issue with the third party joycon is that they don't have feature parity with the official Nintendo ones. You are always giving something up for "Made for human hands" ergonomics.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm Team Nothing. Speaking as someone who bought and loved that ginormous Circle Pad Pro XL add-on for the 3DS, I'm totally comfortable with the Switch just naked, as god intended.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I own a Skull Co grip but don't use it often because of the docking incompatibility.

The biggest game changer for me was adding thumbstick caps. They make the thumbsticks feel so much better.

I don't have many complaints now about the ergonomics of the system in handheld. I've settled on a decently comfortable grip where I rest the bottom outside edges on the system (the outer curve of the JoyCons) in my palms.

Occasionally I'll start to feel the numbness creeping into my arms but then I flex my arms and hands for a moment to alleviate it.

I can play run after run of Hades this way in relative comfort.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I own a Skull Co grip but don't use it often because of the docking incompatibility.

The biggest game changer for me was adding thumbstick caps. They make the thumbsticks feel so much better.

I don't have many complaints now about the ergonomics of the system in handheld. I've settled on a decently comfortable grip where I rest the bottom outside edges on the system (the outer curve of the JoyCons) in my palms.

Occasionally I'll start to feel the numbness creeping into my arms but then I flex my arms and hands for a moment to alleviate it.

I can play run after run of Hades this way in relative comfort.

Skull co grip docking incompatibility? What do you mean? Mine fits in the dock fine?

Anyway, I just received the vivefox and it was SO close to being a good option. But the skull co actually ends up feeling better despite the vivefox having better sticks. That right stick placement is just...god awful though. You either have to control you game with the knuckle of your thumb or bend your thumb to an extreme degree to use the tip of it...so I've organised a return already. If they make a wider split pad version of that they would strike gold for me.

I think I'm just going to have to settle for the split pad pro for now...reduced features and all...until I can get a hold of a binbok at least.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I was using the Split Pad Pro for awhile but ended up just going back to joycons as I missed rumble and never really had discomfort issues. When I'm playing a fighter, platformer or other game that demands heavy d-buttons usage I swap out the L joycon for a Hori d-pad one.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has/had tried all the options from OP plus also this one:

Joycon Controller para Nintendo Switch LED ajustable de 8 colores, reemplazo ergonómico inalámbrico Joy Con con D-Pad y agarre antideslizante, Turbo, Dual Vibration 6-Axis Gyro Motion Control, L / R: Amazon.es: Videojuegos

Joycon Controller para Nintendo Switch LED ajustable de 8 colores, reemplazo ergonómico inalámbrico Joy Con con D-Pad y agarre antideslizante, Turbo, Dual Vibration 6-Axis Gyro Motion Control, L / R: Amazon.es: Videojuegos

And also this one:

Amazon.com: Kydlan with Turbo Motion Control Upgraded Replacement for Nintendo Switch Controllers Joy-con , Curved-designed for Nintendo Switch Controller Joycon, Programmable for Switch Controller Joy con Gift: Electronics

Amazon.com: Kydlan with Turbo Motion Control Upgraded Replacement for Nintendo Switch Controllers Joy-con , Curved-designed for Nintendo Switch Controller Joycon, Programmable for Switch Controller Joy con Gift: Electronics

I have to say that the best option by far is the Binbok joycon from the OP, the smaller one from the link I posted is much worse.
I am not sure if I understood correctly, is the Binbok in the OP not the same as the one you linked to, https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08NPF99GK ?

Added: ah, I see some difference at least in the buttons at the bottom. What makes one version good but the other not?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
My biggest issue with the third party joycon is that they don't have feature parity with the official Nintendo ones. You are always giving something up for "Made for human hands" ergonomics.

This is why i haven't gone to any third party solution aside of the original hori joycon

You either give up HD rumble or gyro, in some cases, both.

So i'm looking for a decent grip, the joycons are too uncomfortable for my big hands.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I don't use the NFC or infrared aspects of the official joycons really and the "HD" rumble is so under utilised I don't actually care if they replace it with old school rumble motors these days...otherwise these newer third party pads have motion. They have rumble. They work wirelessly together and on their own...and they feel so much better than the standard joycons for half the cost...but they're still too focused on making them small imo. And as a result, even though they feel better. Thier button placements and stick placements still prevent them from feeling...right.

sadly there's only a few out there that are willing to widen their pads.

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
I've got the Satisfye grip. It's great, and since getting the Genki stealth dock I don't ever need to take it off.

Jun 2, 2019
What do you think of the S1 Fixture? (if you have a pro Controller)

Sounds like a very decent alternative, i'm getting used to play like this with my phone and the MOGA grip.

I have to see if it's available here in spain

EDIT: Ah, found this in Amazon

61low8Qx9QL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
None. It feels comfortable enough in my hands but if I were to buy one it would be whatever Hori makes.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I use the Hori joycons. It was definitely designed for adult use in mind. My hands no longer cramp up, it's a game-changer for sure.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
The regular JoyCon have been perfect for me but I mostly play 2D games (Hollow Knight, Celeste) so it's ideal for that.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
Is there a current consensus on which joycons are best for avoiding drift?

I just had my second pair of standard joycons start drifting and I'd really like to just buy a set that didn't have that problem.

Oct 30, 2017
Split Pad Pro for me, I didn't even use the Switch in portable mode before because the joycons are too tiny. I have a couple grips so it isn't a comfort issue, just my thumb would be bumping on the right stick when pressing the face buttons all the time.

Now if they made a Split Pad Pro Plus with gyro I'd happily buy them. Don't even care about rumble, NFC would be nice but not essential, and the back buttons I never use them (because my fingers rest on them so I'd be pressing them accidentally all the time) so they can get rid of them.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I haven't bought a 3rd party joycon replacement unfortunately. It means my Switch has sat unused since last June, maybe. I don't have it hooked up to a TV because I've no spare sockets at it and I don't play handheld because it's almost as uncomfortable as the 3DS

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
i just use a cheap silicone case with a bump on the edges for a little bit more grip. got one for both my og switch and the lite.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
I am not sure if I understood correctly, is the Binbok in the OP not the same as the one you linked to, https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08NPF99GK ?

Added: ah, I see some difference at least in the buttons at the bottom. What makes one version good but the other not?

The one from amazon.es (no longer available it seems) is smaller and has a layout similar to the original joycon with the dpad just below the left analog stick and the right analog stick below the buttons, this is more uncomfortable for big hands.

Also the analog sticks are very small despite having the same traveling length and also the dpad is stiff as hell, vastly prefer the one from the biggest model from the OP.

Finally no programable back buttons.

Worth noting that there also exists a wired version with no gyro of the big model from Binbok, much cheaper than the HORI split pad pro and still superior in ergonomics in my opinion, the HORI split pad pro is big overall but has a very small handle to grab it comfortably.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
I don't use any grips for mine, but if I see a solid-enough recommendation, I might jump on it. I fucking *hate* the Joycons. They feel like cheap garbage. The Switch is really uncomfortable to hold in handheld mode - far better when docked and using the joycon grip, but you still have to content with the drift and shoddy buttons where triggers should be.

I feel like most of my issues would be solved if I bought the Pro controller, but I refuse to shell out an additional £60 just to fix issues in the base product's design.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I think I would actually really like the Fixture S1 but I couldn't find those in Europe and I don't wanna pay twice what it costs just because of shipping. How are they in terms of comfortability though? While the Switch without controllers isn't exactly overly heavy, the weight probably still does affect how comfortable it is over a period of a few hours.
It's a bit too heavy but it's overall pretty good. The clip is very sturdy and the switch slides into it.

You can easily adjust the angle and the height so can find a comfortable position. Can always use a pillow or something if it's too heavy. That said, not sure if I would get it for much more than MSRP.

So overall I recommend it if you have the Pro Controller, but wouldn't pay more than say $40 for it.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Any single-joycon based grip designs?

I would like to be able to dock my switch and detach my joycons on demand like the default configuration, but would also like a bit more ergonomics... I haven't found a solution for this, which is shocking.

Feb 15, 2019
It's a bit too heavy but it's overall pretty good. The clip is very sturdy and the switch slides into it.

You can easily adjust the angle and the height so can find a comfortable position. Can always use a pillow or something if it's too heavy. That said, not sure if I would get it for much more than MSRP.

So overall I recommend it if you have the Pro Controller, but wouldn't pay more than say $40 for it.

Yeah that does sound good. Will definitely try to grab one whenever I can find one in Europe but so far the only place I've found is Amazon where I'd also have to pay massive shipping fees. I don't think I'll actually be able to get it for less than 40 dollars though.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah that does sound good. Will definitely try to grab one whenever I can find one in Europe but so far the only place I've found is Amazon where I'd also have to pay massive shipping fees. I don't think I'll actually be able to get it for less than 40 dollars.
Well, even in US it's about $35, not including taxes. So if you can score it for €40ish including VAT, that isn't too bad.

Feb 15, 2019
Well, even in US it's about $35, not including taxes. So if you can score it for €40ish including VAT, that isn't too bad.

I think I can get it from the Indiegogo campaign still where I can buy it and the case for 41 Euro + 17 Euro shipping fee so that doesn't look too bad. Might have to bite on that. Though I don't know whether that is actually including taxes or not since it is just USD converted to Euro.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any single-joycon based grip designs?

I would like to be able to dock my switch and detach my joycons on demand like the default configuration, but would also like a bit more ergonomics... I haven't found a solution for this, which is shocking.

You might like the vivefox ones I just returned. They do exactly that. But they still weren't comfortable for me. Binbok sounds like it would be a good option too and is the one I want to try. But they seem really hard to get a hold of sadly.

Dec 11, 2017
I'm looking to play the Switch more handheld, as I tend to ignore it docked for so long alongside my next-gen consoles. Really torn between a Pro Controller mount and the Hori Split Pad Pro.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Hori Split Pad Pro all the way. I don't mind the lack of rumble, etc. It feels so much more comfortable than the Joy-Cons. Yeah it's an ugly color scheme and I wish they'd just made the whole thing black, but oh well.
The Hori site had some different all black ones without Daemon Ex Machina branding

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using a Satisfye grip and modded my Joy-cons with eXtremeRate shells with a d-pad. It's the best thing I've found, but there's nothing that can fix the horrible ergonomics of the Joy-cons without totally replacing them. Interested in the split pad, but the loss of gyro and rumble are dealbreakers at that price.

m3Ry3FU.jpg

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Satisfye grip right now but very interested in that Binbok controller once it's more readily available. I wish Nintendo would just let third parties make officially licensed joycon alternatives, seems like they don't want anyone to make split controllers that can function wirelessly...

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I can play for hours with Joycons, so no modifications needed. I have 3D printed a grip before that felt pretty good though.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has/had tried all the options from OP plus also this one:

And also this one:

I have to say that the best option by far is the Binbok joycon from the OP, the smaller one from the link I posted is much worse.
Can the binbok split controllers power in the switch? Biggest downside to all 3rd party controllers.

Edit: read a reddit thread and detached they don't wake the console. Sad.

Last edited:

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
How much of a difference would it make if I got the Hori Split Pad Pro, considering I'm currently rocking a Goplay grip and it still cramps my hands.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I play on Switch Lite and use the Satisfye grip. Easily the best handheld experience I've had on Switch (I also own the regular Switch and have tried a few different things for it, but Switch Lite + Satisfye grip is still king).

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Oh man this is the thread i needed right now.

I've leaned hard back into portable mode and my joycons have been drifting like crazy.
I need some proper ergonomics since I have bigger hands
Also my hardcase is starting to wear down so it might be time to replace it

I'm looking into the Split Pad Pros now.

Question:

Are you able to fit games/USB C cord/etc in there with it?

Nov 4, 2017
I've had the Skull and Co grip for a year or so now and love it. Very comfortable, and I like that it fits in the dock. I got it with the carry case too, which is pretty rugged.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The original ones. The only thing truly garbage about them to me is the potential for drift. I actually really like them otherwise.

My wife goes as far as using them (+ the grip) during TV play despite having a Pro Controller.

Dec 11, 2017
Man this thread is having me go back and forth on a grip case or the Hori Split Pad. The Split Pad is so expensive here in Australia ($80-99) so going without rumble and gyro is a bit of a stretch on top of the massive size. With that said, they do still seem a way better option than the default Joy Cons which destroy my hands within an hour.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Man this thread is having me go back and forth on a grip case or the Hori Split Pad. The Split Pad is so expensive here in Australia ($80-99) so going without rumble and gyro is a bit of a stretch on top of the massive size. With that said, they do still seem a way better option than the default Joy Cons which destroy my hands within an hour.
Do they sell Binbok controller in AU? I think it's more comfortable vs Split Pad, and has rumble/gyro. Have one in order so it should come in in couple of weeks but it's been pretty well reviewed so far... With some QC issues.

Another option is Pro controller with Fixture S1 clip attachment (see above).