• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This honestly has felt like some eternal struggle for me since getting the switch. The official joycons are garbage. The build quality is garbage, the analogue sticks are garbage, and the form factor is garbage. I value my hands and need something better!

Here's what i've tried so far:

61k9sdM4jlL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

My first purchase...the skull co grip, which did help and maintains the functionality of the official joycons but gets "loose" over time and doesn't fix the underlying button placement issues of the joycons, so I still get cramp. On the plus side, It's dockable.

ns-010180-07_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I tried the dobe (other brands make the exact same thing in different colourways) and form factor was almost perfect...but I couldn't dock it and the moment I stuck the official charge cable in the pass through USB-C it stopped working entirely... so that was great! Lol

I've tried the split pad pro and it felt almost as nice as the dobe. But was designed poorly and looks terrible. Considering it's officially licensed I would have assumed it would have at least retained rumble and motion controls...alas, no...but it is dockable and has the best analogue sticks so far AND has additional programmable back buttons which was a nice bonus.

ViveFoxControllers-Montage.jpg

I've ordered these third party vivefox (much like other Chinese controllers there are other brands who make the exact same product on different regions) and it seems to tick most boxes...but I fear the comfort won't be there due to the almost identical analogue/button placement to the official joycons. But they rumble. They have motion. They work wirelessly together and apart... And they're dockable!

719CM5qNNBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And lastly there's the new kid in town. The Binbok split controller. Which is basically the same as the above but with much better looking ergonomics, and the split pad pro's back buttons...I'd love to try these but they're like rocking horse shit...just impossible to find...

So what are you all rocking to avoid the nasty ass Nintendo joycons?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Honestly - nothing. I've found the Joy-con to be completely fine.

That being said, I have a few friends with the Hori Split Pad Pro and they love it.

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I use the Satisfye Zen Grip Pro. I'm very happy with it.

www.satisfye.com

ZenGrip Pro

Description The Ultimate Gaming Grip for the Nintendo® Switch Includes: ZenGrip Pro + Two Thumb Pads Jump to ZenGrip Pro Features & Benefits Dimensions Shipping Options The following shipping options are available at checkout: Domestic + International Shipping Available 2-Day USA Shipping Available

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I use normal Joy-Cons for non-action games but I bought the Daemon X Machina Hori pad to play games like Monster Hunter and Astral Chain.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017

I tried the dobe (other brands make the exact same thing in different colourways) and form factor was almost perfect...but I couldn't dock it and the moment I stuck the official charge cable in the pass through USB-C it stopped working entirely... so that was great! Lol

Welp I use one of these and really love it but I know what I won't be doing in the future

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Hori Split Pad Pro all the way. I don't mind the lack of rumble, etc. It feels so much more comfortable than the Joy-Cons. Yeah it's an ugly color scheme and I wish they'd just made the whole thing black, but oh well.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I use the Satisfye Zen Grip Pro. I'm very happy with it.

www.satisfye.com

ZenGrip Pro

Description The Ultimate Gaming Grip for the Nintendo® Switch Includes: ZenGrip Pro + Two Thumb Pads Jump to ZenGrip Pro Features & Benefits Dimensions Shipping Options The following shipping options are available at checkout: Domestic + International Shipping Available 2-Day USA Shipping Available

2nd this. Great design. only downside is its not dock-compatible but the thing slips on and off super easy and is small/light/sturdy enough to just toss in a backpack if you are traveling.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Satisfye is comfortable. I was turned off by the asymmetrical grips at first, but after trying it, it's much more comfortable than the Nintendo licensed one I had before that.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hori Split Pad Pro all the way. I don't mind the lack of rumble, etc. It feels so much more comfortable than the Joy-Cons. Yeah it's an ugly color scheme and I wish they'd just made the whole thing black, but oh well.

I don't mind the colour scheme. It's more the shape of it. The fact there's like a cm drop where the controller's meet the screen. It just doesn't seem very well thought out and makes it look a bit slapped together. Lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Switch Lite, and all I'm using is the official flip cover.

Though like hell would I try to play Bayonetta like this, that's about the only game I *WON"T* play like this.

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
I quite like the JETech case. Very simple, take it with me to the dealer car services. Not flashy, simple to install/remove, and fits into the official Switch pouch.

71WtC1PawzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Welp I use one of these and really love it but I know what I won't be doing in the future
Tbh it was something I wasn't ever going to try since I figured "cheap Chinese product + power supply = bricked system"...thankfully it wasn't as bad as that, but I didn't think it was going to kill the entire controller. Lol. I might have just had a defective unit...the weirder thing was the pass through charge did work...it charged the switch as intendrd. It just broke the rest of it in the process 😅

Switch Lite, and all I'm using is the official flip cover.

Though like hell would I try to play Bayonetta like this, that's about the only game I *WON"T* play like this.

After playing with some of these options I can't even go back to the default joycon sticks. They're just too small and have such short travel. It's not like, the worst, but having a full size functionally "normal" analogue just like on the pro controller or PS4/5/Xbox etc it's like night and day for me.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I like my Split Pad Pro, but I've actually gravitated back to the standard joy cons. The real thumb sticks on the Split Pad Pro are nice if you're playing an FPS or something, but I don't like the buttons as much on it. They have too much travel for my taste. Also, it's hard to get past the fact that the thing is just gargantuan with the split pad pro. I can't put it in my work bag for train rides at all.

I've also used this from Hori quite a bit:

712kXCOaLOL._SL1500_.jpg

But I don't like the shoulder buttons on it. Also having one side feel so much different than the other just feels wrong for some reason. I remember getting it when I was already about 30 hours into Hollow Knight, thinking it would be an improvement, but it just wasn't at all. I've actually come to think the four buttons are perfectly alright for 2d games.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Split pad here.does the dobe compare in comfort to the split pad pro?

Definitely. I actually find it more comfortable since it's a bit chonkier. It has rumble and motion too. Although try to get the updated model (slightly wider with better button placement) if you go for it.

Tbh If I were a handheld ONLY player...it's what I would be using. But I still dock quite a lot and having to remove it every time annoyed me...plus I killed it with a charge cable. So...there was that too lol.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use the Satisfye for the Lite. Much better than default comfort wise.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Hori Split Pad Pro (I have the red ones), and I haven't looked back. Can't remember any games in many months that have needed any Joy-Con functionality that are missing from these, and I find the rumble in Joy-Cons to be annoying (and loud) anyway. Dobe not being dockable is a big no for me.

If/when I have to use Joy-Cons, I like the Satisfye grip (I've tried so many...), and I have a Flip Grip if I want to play vertical/tate games.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I have been liking the vivefox, since they fix the main problem with the joycon (ergonomically), being too damn flat. no great to hold split while docked but at least they work. though the connection can also be a little spotty. great for handheld mode though without being too huge

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh it was something I wasn't ever going to try since I figured "cheap Chinese product + power supply = bricked system"...thankfully it wasn't as bad as that, but I didn't think it was going to kill the entire controller. Lol. I might have just had a defective unit...the weirder thing was the pass through charge did work...it charged the switch as intendrd. It just broke the rest of it in the process 😅

After playing with some of these options I can't even go back to the default joycon sticks. They're just too small and have such short travel. It's not like, the worst, but having a full size functionally "normal" analogue just like on the pro controller or PS4/5/Xbox etc it's like night and day for me.
On a system with wide-spread gyro, Bayonetta is the only game that gives a single shit about sticks. 90% of the time the games could just be Dpad only and I'd barely even notice.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
This honestly has felt like some eternal struggle for me since getting the switch. The official joycons are garbage. The build quality is garbage, the analogue sticks are garbage, and the form factor is garbage. I value my hands and need something better!

Here's what i've tried so far:

61k9sdM4jlL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

My first purchase...the skull co grip, which did help and maintains the functionality of the official joycons but gets "loose" over time and doesn't fix the underlying button placement issues of the joycons, so I still get cramp. On the plus side, It's dockable.

I've tried the split pad pro and it felt almost as nice as the dobe. But was designed poorly and looks terrible. Considering it's officially licensed I would have assumed it would have at least retained rumble and motion controls...alas, no...but it is dockable and has the best analogue sticks so far AND has additional programmable back buttons which was a nice bonus.

ViveFoxControllers-Montage.jpg

I've ordered these third party vivefox (much like other Chinese controllers there are other brands who make the exact same product on different regions) and it seems to tick most boxes...but I fear the comfort won't be there due to the almost identical analogue/button placement to the official joycons. But they rumble. They have motion. They work wirelessly together and apart... And they're dockable!

719CM5qNNBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And lastly there's the new kid in town. The Binbok split controller. Which is basically the same as the above but with much better looking ergonomics, and the split pad pro's back buttons...I'd love to try these but they're like rocking horse shit...just impossible to find...

So what are you all rocking to avoid the nasty ass Nintendo joycons?
I have the hori split pad. Which of those do you think has the best d-pad?

I think the hori spp is okay in terms of comfort, but my main draw was the d-pad since I play a lot of 2D stuff.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind the colour scheme. It's more the shape of it. The fact there's like a cm drop where the controller's meet the screen. It just doesn't seem very well thought out and makes it look a bit slapped together. Lol.
I mean I agree that the drop off is inelegant, but I don't ever see it. And the way I hold the system I never notice it either, unless I extend my fingers out to intentionally feel it. My fingers normally rest on the back paddle buttons.

I just personally really don't like the color scheme. Reminds me of awful edgey PC gamer peripherals, like Asus "Republic Of Gamers" laptops, etc.

I also sorta like that because it lacks rumble, motion control, IR, etc. it also doesn't have any batteries in the controller sections, so it's entirely passive and you aren't wasting battery life recharging the Joy-Cons when you use it. The controllers themselves feel a little light/hollow, but the weight of the Switch itself sorta balances that out I find. And they still feel sturdy and well made. Hori's got a decent track record.

Overall it's a bit bulky, but I figure that's the trade off for having a portable that's actually comfortable to hold.

The single biggest downside for me is that you can't assign right side face buttons to the left side back paddles. Literally my only real complaint aside from the aesthetics.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have the hori split pad. Which of those do you think has the best d-pad?

I think the hori spp is okay in terms of comfort, but my main draw was the d-pad since I play a lot of 2D stuff.

I find dpads can be super subjective. Especially when it comes to whether you're someone who prefers something clicky or spongy.

Out of those I listed I personally think I prefer the hori too. It's certainly the biggest one, which I think works best...Although I did like the feel of the dobe too.

I honestly just wish hori released a slightly more expensive version of this pad with rumble and motion and maybe even let you use them together wirelessly as a docked pro pad. I think there's definitely a market for that. a great all rounder with a premium feel.

The Chinese third party market all seem to be offering this at 2 thirds of the cost of the SPP but something higher quality and licensed that is more readily available would be ideal.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just normal Joy Cons without a grip.
Playing handhelds since I'm 5 made my hands steal like.
Could even play Kid Icarus on the original 3DS without the stand and no pain at all.

So everyone git gud with your hands!!!
/s

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using the basic ones without any extras. They're small and versatile. I never got into the accessory mania that seems to surround Nintendo products in particular. But with how unreliable the Joy-cons are, perhaps I'm the crazy one.

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017

I stick the switch screen in this, and use the pro controller. I have rsi and arthritis in my hands, so using the joycons attached causes serious pains.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Hori Split Pad Pro. It's ugly, and I feel like the buttons aren't as precise as I'd like. I miss having rumble. Since I got them I haven't played any games that use the gyro, but when I do, no doubt that'll piss me off.

But the sticks feel great, the D-pad is an actual D-pad, and it doesn't interfere with docking. I can leave my Joy-cons in my Ring Fit accessories except when they need changing. My hands don't hurt! I recommend it.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I definitely use handheld as like a secondary "before bed" or "travel" or just "don't wanna sit in front of TV" thing, so I haven't been bothered enough to get joycon replacements. However I do have a Satisfye grip for when I'm playing games that require heavy use of that right analogue stick and it's fantastic. The extra meatiness on the right side is the only way to go.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
The original Joy-Cons that came with the system. Didn't really have a problem with them up until recently, but now the drift is terrible and the left Joy-Con keeps making a creaking sound.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've also used this from Hori quite a bit:

712kXCOaLOL._SL1500_.jpg

But I don't like the shoulder buttons on it. Also having one side feel so much different than the other just feels wrong for some reason. I remember getting it when I was already about 30 hours into Hollow Knight, thinking it would be an improvement, but it just wasn't at all. I've actually come to think the four buttons are perfectly alright for 2d games.
I pretty much always use this Hori one for the dpad on the left side, and then the standard joycon on the right.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I'm handheld I'm using a S1 Fixture mount that bolts onto a regular Pro Controller.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
The joycons feel just fine in my hands. Even in a longer session (2 hours is long for me), I experience no discomfort.

I'm using the orange/purple set.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I have been using Fixture S1 accessory with the Pro controller. Works like those Xbox One controller phone mount clips, but much more solid.

It's very well built, and while frankly a bit overpriced, works great if you already have a Pro controller.
Whenever I'm handheld I'm using a S1 Fixture mount that bolts onto a regular Pro Controller.
Thank you! It was clear to me that once MH Rise comes out, this will be the end of my joycons (and my hands), but all the viable solutions seemed to have their faults. The Fixture S1 appears to be the perfect solution for my needs.

Feb 15, 2019
I have a Satisfye grip, a Hori Split Pad Pro and a normal Hori left side joy con for the dpad.

I quite like both the Satisfye grip for when I need to use the joycons for something as well as the Split Pad Pro.

I think they improve the handheld experience tremendously, though granted I still don't really like to use the Switch in handheld. But at least those 2 make it more bearable.

I think I would actually really like the Fixture S1 but I couldn't find those in Europe and I don't wanna pay twice what it costs just because of shipping. How are they in terms of comfortability though? While the Switch without controllers isn't exactly overly heavy, the weight probably still does affect how comfortable it is over a period of a few hours.

Honestly I just hope that Switch 2 or whatever the followup is will still be compatible with all of those because all those accessories including cases and the like pretty much cost me about half a new Switch by themselves.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
My launch Switch stays docked and I use a Pro controller. It has some minor screen damage and broken plastic around the fan from an unlucky drop. I can't remember the least time I used the Joycon for sure. Probably Pokémon Let's Go Pikachi back in summer 2019 when I needed something to play one handed when recovering from surgery on my left arm.

I got a Switch Lite for handheld play and the ergonomics and weight of it are good for me. Doesn't hurt my hands and wrists like the regular one did in handheld mode.

I've been lucky and not had any issues with drift in my Joycons, pro controller or Switch Lite.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Hori Split Pad Pro. Love it. Although I mostly play indies and retro games handheld, so the lack of gyro isn't an issue for me.

Jun 13, 2018
I dont use them that often, but really like the daemon x machina split pad pro. something really satisfying about the triggers/shoulder buttons on those.

Dec 2, 2020
HORI split pad pro is a game changer for portable play (especially for shooters and 3D games where you're adjusting the camera a lot with the second analogue stick). I've never found the joycons comfortable since launch and could only play using them for an hour at most.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm honestly surprised a company like 8Bitdo hasn't made a pair of joycons for the Switch. I think they'd do a fantastic job.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
As someone who has/had tried all the options from OP plus also this one:

Joycon Controller para Nintendo Switch LED ajustable de 8 colores, reemplazo ergonómico inalámbrico Joy Con con D-Pad y agarre antideslizante, Turbo, Dual Vibration 6-Axis Gyro Motion Control, L / R: Amazon.es: Videojuegos

Joycon Controller para Nintendo Switch LED ajustable de 8 colores, reemplazo ergonómico inalámbrico Joy Con con D-Pad y agarre antideslizante, Turbo, Dual Vibration 6-Axis Gyro Motion Control, L / R: Amazon.es: Videojuegos

And also this one:

Amazon.com: Kydlan with Turbo Motion Control Upgraded Replacement for Nintendo Switch Controllers Joy-con , Curved-designed for Nintendo Switch Controller Joycon, Programmable for Switch Controller Joy con Gift: Electronics

Amazon.com: Kydlan with Turbo Motion Control Upgraded Replacement for Nintendo Switch Controllers Joy-con , Curved-designed for Nintendo Switch Controller Joycon, Programmable for Switch Controller Joy con Gift: Electronics

I have to say that the best option by far is the Binbok joycon from the OP, the smaller one from the link I posted is much worse.