• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

how do you like the the new combat system

• i love it - better than the original

Votes: 726 45.0%
  • i like it - but prefer the old combat

Votes: 269 16.7%
  • i don't like it - bring the old combat back

Votes: 191 11.8%
  • it's great but it need's some improvements

Votes: 328 20.3%
  • i don't like it & didn't like the old combat

Votes: 34 2.1%
  • i like both of them

Votes: 291 18.0%

• Total voters

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I love it. Chapter 8 is the first time it make me appreciate this combat system because that's when they introduce enemy with unique mechanic like needing to disable enemy shield with magic before hurting them with physical attacks. Also even enemy with same type can have different attack and their AI work together really well so you had to prioritize which enemy to take out, like that enemy C that like to throw sleep magic around.

At 1 instance I got everything wrong and keep dying. Next time, I'm more observant, running to avoid attack and blocking etc looking for opportunity to attack and I won without anyone dying.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I always imagine a lot of these people yelling at others that they're playing it wrong as game designers in feedback sessions for their game.

"What did you think of the battle system?"

"Errr, I didn't find block or dodge very reactive, and I kept having the wrong materia set up and I can't change it mid-fight"

"Well you're playing it wrong."

If there's a right way to play, but a very significant number of players aren't doing it, who's at fault?

That said, it has its moments. Playing with materia setups and seeing a big change in battle efficiency is definitely well done. And visually it's a marvel.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But you should be using those low def and res high slot armours. Everything revolves around how many material you can max out. That extra 40 def isn't going to save you from hard hitting attacks, so you should shore up your battle options or stack more HP

The characters take way too fucking much damage as it is. A Helitrooper should not be able to carve 30% of my max HP off with a single fucking hit. I'm not getting rid of my defensive stats when there's no reasonable way to get more HP anyway. You can't even grind!

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I always imagine a lot of these people yelling at others that they're playing it wrong as game designers in feedback sessions for their game.

"Errr, I didn't find block or dodge very reactive, and I kept having the wrong materia set up and I can't change it mid-fight"

If there's a right way to play, but a very significant number of players aren't doing it, who's at fault?

That said, it has its moments. Playing with materia setups and seeing a big change in battle efficiency is definitely well done. And visually it's a marvel.
Looking at the poll it's definitely not a significant amount of players. That said it's only centered around this forum and maybe not representative of the playerbase as a whole.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can change that in Battle Settings by setting up a Leader.

You won't use them in the Overworld but when you enter a fight you'll switch to them instantly.
Ah thanks! This will especially help with going after certain weapon proficiencies. I do wish it was a bit more organic, but this at least solves most of the problem.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
The characters take way too fucking much damage as it is. A Helitrooper should not be able to carve 30% of my max HP off with a single fucking hit. I'm not getting rid of my defensive stats when there's no reasonable way to get more HP anyway. You can't even grind!

Just reload the fight switch your setup

Then quickly kill them and move on

then go into the boss fight with an incompatible materia setup

either let yourself get killed, or reload, change your setup...wait for the cutscenes and mid fight scenes

and oh shit, the boss changed elements so now you gotta change your setup so you need the other element

just simply reload....

Its so much fun

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I like it, but it's not perfect.

The lack of hitstun is jarring. And it really takes some time getting used to the hybrid system of ATB and real-time action.

ATB builds way too slow for your allies as well.

But overall, it is enjoyable.

FFXIII still has my favorite battle system. That battle system was too good.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Late game scaling is atrociously bad and makes the already padded final chapters an absolute chore.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just reload the fight switch your setup

Then quickly kill them and move on

then go into the boss fight with an incompatible materia setup

either let yourself get killed, or reload, change your setup...wait for the cutscenes and mid fight scenes

and oh shit, the boss changed elements so now you gotta change your setup so you need the other element

just simply reload....

Its so much fun

This happens for exactly one boss and the Assess materia straight up tells you that it constantly switches elements.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the poll it's definitely not a significant amount of players. That said it's only centered around this forum and maybe not representative of the playerbase as a whole.
Well, I listed that I "like" the battle system even though I have my problems with it. And I do like it! But I think at the very least the game could have more clear messaging and telegraphs and feedback if there's a "working" playstyle.

When your players aren't getting something, the best way to react isn't to claim they're just not getting it, it's to improve your techniques and introductions to boost the amount playing in your preferred design style.

Not that I'm claiming Square did that, I mean, I don't know. Could be a cultural thing, too. But people have been getting real aggro.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I listed that I "like" the battle system even though I have my problems with it. And I do like it! But I think at the very least the game could have more clear messaging and telegraphs and feedback if there's a "working" playstyle.

When your players aren't getting something, the best way to react isn't to claim they're just not getting it, it's to improve your techniques and introductions to boost the amount playing in your preferred design style.

There is also no in game explanation for "Linked materia" i've tried to find it, but nothing shows up or how exactly it works.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
I felt it was ok... ATB kind of ruined it for me. it puts a constraint on important strategy from healing and utilizing magic. It just adds another layer of difficulty (might not be the right word) when playing in an action setting. If they wanted to move away from turnbase they should've just did what Final Fantasy XV had. It sucks we may never see a turnbase AAA Final Fantasy game again.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There is also no in game explanation for "Linked materia" i've tried to find it, but nothing shows up or how exactly it works.

Linked materia? Like blue materia? You just equip them in a connected slot next to a materia and they bestow their particular effect on the materia they're connected to.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

There's clearly a point in the game (Ch 9 boss) where it's the major roadblock for a lot of players to stop mashing Square and start to get into the nuances of the battle systems.

And that boss is a special one off case where it switches elemental weaknesses. Everything you've learnt since then (humans being weak to fire, flying enemies getting staggered by wind, machines being weak to lightning, monsters weak to ice and fire) is all consistant.

And even then, it's not like the game is uncompletable on Normal without adhering to how the devs want you fight a particular enemy. Brute force still works, and if that gets you the win, why the fuss?

I think this is a case between those who want to enjoy the game their way, but can't adhere to being railroaded into a particular playstyle vs those who love to min/max the absolute details of how the devs want a fight to progress.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Using classic and it's awesome. 7 was the reason I bought a PSX . It's got Crisis Core combat plus ATB. I love it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's clearly a point in the game (Ch 9 boss) where it's the major roadblock for a lot of players to stop mashing Square and start to get into the nuances of the battle systems.

And that boss is a special one off case where it switches elemental weaknesses. Everything you've learnt since then (humans being weak to fire, flying enemies getting staggered by wind, machines being weak to lightning, monsters weak to ice and fire) is all consistant.

And even then, it's not like the game is uncompletable on Normal without adhering to how the devs want you fight a particular enemy. Brute force still works, and if that gets you the win, why the fuss?

I think the thing is, Aero and Blizzard are such shitty spells that you would never, ever equip them as your only element on a character. So if you're stuck with just Cloud, who really reasonably can only carry one element at a time, you're kinda fucked if an enemy doesn't have the weakness you're carrying before battle starts.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

That's true. I do imagine most people will be able to brute force normal, which *is* good, because Square wouldn't want people getting so frustrated they walk away, you know? But I do think playing it "right" still leads to a more desireable outcome, which is the player feeling really good about their battle experience.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not explained well which is a flaw, but it is quite simple.

Look for a materia that says it modifies something like Elemental which says it adds linked element to attack dmg, or reduces attacks that match linked elemen.

Then put it in a linked weapon slot for dmg, or armour for defense.

Another example being: Magnify shows in the thumbnail video that it will bounce magic between multiple targets, just link it will the spell of your choice; offensive, curative, buff or debuff... anything cast on a target will work.

Have you considered blocking
xD

I think the thing is, Aero and Blizzard are such shitty spells that you would never, ever equip them as your only element on a character. So if you're stuck with just Cloud, who really reasonably can only carry one element at a time, you're kinda fucked if an enemy doesn't have the weakness you're carrying before battle starts.
Aero and Blizzard are not shitty though.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What I don't get is, you switch to someone then the person you switched from is now doing nothing. Are you supposed to time animations, and at that point isn't that too much of a meta game? There's so much wasted time. Other than that I've gotten better at it due to the from here. Why can't the AI at least block

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
It's fine, it's really on me because I went in a little hard. I got a bit frustrated hearing certain posts over and over in the OT and saw a fresh thread to blow off a little steam. I get why some people saw it the way they did.

I also do think they should consider improvements... I'm just not sure how much they should listen to people asking for things that go against the system they built.

(Now this may not be the best example, but trying to illustrate my point). If some people ask From to add a "press x to jump" to a Souls game (not Sekiro!), even though it would change what they were aiming for, do you think From should consider it?

I don't think so, because I think those people misunderstand what the design of that game is attempting to achieve.

Don't be deaf to critiques, they're incredibly valuable, but if a person's critique shows more that they want a different system rather than a suggestion that would bolster what the system is trying to do?

It's a tough balancing act I can imagine. Hell maybe I'm wrong and they'll add something I'm calling bad and convince me... maybe they'll change it entirely and I'll hate it, or just fuck it all up beyond recognition.

After the twists and turns we've had on our way to this game... anything is possible.
Yeah, it often gets hard to discuss true points here, since so many people cant differentiate between "hating something" and "seing flaws in it". Its either the best thing, or crap.
There is stuff i find highly flawed and loved (i could talk hours about stuff that could be improved in botw, or that was not optimal to begin with...and it is still one of my favorite games). And other stuff that ifind really hard to find flaws, but still dont love.

With this game (and, i only played a bit at myflatmates ps4, i'll wait for the anouncement of the last part before i invest myself fully), but the game is far from perfect. At the same time, it is less of a clusterfuck than i somehow expected by the team. From what i've seen its a game that has space to improve in all areas, while none is really bad. (except arguably story aditions (i spoiled myself), and here i would argue as long as you see it through a anime/camp lense it can be a fun romp.)

But im also one that can enjoy 6/10 games if in the right mood and the right game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Aero and Blizzard are not shitty though.

Projectile spells that do virtually no damage until a second, extremely delayed explosion goes off are worthless against any target that isn't completely stationary. And yet wind spells are for some idiotic reason the primary weakness of flying enemies, enemies that NEVER STOP MOVING.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

They're built for AoE those spells. Even without hitting weaknesses, Cloud can carry Thunder alone due to it's 100% hit nature and Fire is a fast enough spell that explodes on impact that combines high accuracy like Thunder (but can still miss in rare circumstances) with the explosion radius of Aero/Ice (in which Fire doesn't have as much range).

Pairing Aero or Blizzard with Magnify makes for such a potent combo in AoE situations that it's possible to inflict 225% damage on a single enemy getting hit by the split Aeroga/Blizzaga. That's most likely the biggest reason why they have a delay before they hit in comparison to Thunder and Fire.

And as I've said before, Sleep and Stop works just fine on long range enemies. Or in the case of the Heli flying dudes, just fling Fire in their face and kill them outright instead of trying to stagger with Wind.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get is, you switch to someone then the person you switched from is now doing nothing. Are you supposed to time animations, and at that point isn't that too much of a meta game? There's so much wasted time. Other than that I've gotten better at it due to the from here. Why can't the AI at least block
Yeh, that is part of how you switch efficiently.

Projectile spells that do virtually no damage until a second, extremely delayed explosion goes off are worthless against any target that isn't completely stationary. And yet wind spells are for some idiotic reason the primary weakness of flying enemies, enemies that NEVER STOP MOVING.

Flying enemies hover in place very often dude...

And every target will be stationary enough at a certain point for you to use them.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's true. I do imagine most people will be able to brute force normal, which *is* good, because Square wouldn't want people getting so frustrated they walk away, you know? But I do think playing it "right" still leads to a more desireable outcome, which is the player feeling really good about their battle experience.

It absolutely does lead to a more desireable outcome = more fun battle experience. But who's fault is it to blame that Square wanted to mix up encounters to make them more interesting or those that refuse to change just because they want to play a specific way throughout the entire game?

I sure as hell don't want a game where every encounter was basically the same in this day and age.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely does lead to a more desireable outcome = more fun battle experience. But who's fault is it to blame that Square wanted to mix up encounters to make them more interesting or those that refuse to change just because they want to play a specific way throughout the entire game?

I sure as hell don't want a game where every encounter was basically the same in this day and age.
I don't think that's fair. No one actively wants the same battle experience over and over again; all players crave novelty and excitement, and repetition breeds boredom. But clearly players are, for one reason or another, unprepared for that fight. They could introduce a simpler type (or more obviously telegraphed) type of elemental shift earlier the game, for instance, or warn players with a dialogue line saying they've seen Corneo's secret fighter and they should really have a "variety of spells" for the upcoming match.

There are numerous ways to handle this, not saying which is the best. But this is the sort of thing you root out and try to figure out in rigorous playtesting sessions.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, I like it a lot. It's an amalgamation of various combat systems they've used recently, and one I think is a very solid foundation to build upon.

I do have some criticisms, some of which aren't necessarily aimed at the combat itself, but do impact it:
  1. Materia loadouts are way too small for too long, making it difficult to play around or properly account for elements, especially during segments with fewer than 3 party members.
  2. Fights are sometimes trial-and-error as a result, forcing the player to throw a dry run and die in order to find the 'correct' materia to stagger the opponent, or learn whether they need to equip the Steal materia. (This is exacerbated by the small allotment of materia slots.) I don't know what the solution to this is -- perhaps allow a 'quick restart to prepare loadout' option, rather than having to sit there and wipe.
  3. ATB/MP being lost when your actions are interrupted, when both are already restrictively finite. This just shouldn't happen.
  4. Limit Breaks missing or being nullified by phase changes. Shouldn't happen.
  5. Dodge being nearly worthless with the amount of homing attacks. Either allow the player to dodge a little more effectively, or remove it. It's to the point where, because none of the 'action' portions of the combat system are terribly meaningful (ATB and blocking are by far the most important mechanics), the game could almost have been truly turn-based -- and Classic Mode certainly should have been.
  6. Enemy AI tunnel visioning player character. This is a bit sloppy and abusable.
  7. Party AI. There has to be a middle ground where the player is encouraged to swap between party members, without the party AI being nearly useless in all facets -- unable to effectively generate ATB, unable to perform fight mechanics, unable to do anything intelligently. It makes it all the more apparent how ahead of its time FFXII's AI customization was.
Oh darn, the AI stuff is very important to nail to me. I've been playing FFXII since it's release off and on from PS2, PC emulation, and finally PC release of TZA. Also I really love the Dragon Age games, and this game just makes me want to start a whole play through of all of them. The enemy going for the player character crush my interest a bit, I saw there's a (spoiler = ability) provoke, but it only happens, with a big cooldown, when a party member is severely injured, and it won't work on the controlled character.

The one thing I dislike about combat in FF12 is that all characters move a few steps in a random direction during the fight, even your controlled character. I figured this is so they build MP, but it's very annoying when you want them in a specific position. I really like FF12 combat and hunts, I love having a feeling of FF11 offline with a trinity going on, and decoy for attention on the tank. The same for Dragon Age games. I trust AI in Dragon Age Inquisition to tank more than I trust myself. They seem to do things well enough after the dlc.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
After DQ11 I felt kinda burned out with turn based combat tbh

Wasn't a big fan of the first FF7R combat vids but the demo made me a believer.
Arguably the best "fresh take" on old school JRPG combat I've seen thus far.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeh, that is part of how you switch efficiently.

Flying enemies hover in place very often dude...

And every target will be stationary enough at a certain point for you to use them.
Yeah but like is counting the seconds in attack animations fun? I guess it is for some people but it's so meta. I feel like most people want to hit the button and have it do the thing, not like do math where Barrett's attack takes this long so I'm able to switch to these two to get their attacks in in the meantime, will do a shorter animation with him so an atb will be filled over there to heal. That doesn't feel like playing a game, it feels like micromanaging the metagame and not the fun part of the gameplay

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't think that's fair. No one actively wants the same battle experience over and over again; all players crave novelty and excitement, and repetition breeds boredom. But clearly players are, for one reason or another, unprepared for that fight. They could introduce a simpler type (or more obviously telegraphed) type of elemental shift earlier the game, for instance, or warn players with a dialogue line saying they've seen Corneo's secret fighter and they should really have a "variety of spells" for the upcoming match.

There are numerous ways to handle this, not saying which is the best. But this is the sort of thing you root out and try to figure out in rigorous playtesting sessions.

Fair point. I do agree that Square could've eased players more into this type of mechanic if it was a prevailant thing throughout the game. But as it stands, as many of those have played the full game in it's entirety, it's a one off and (for better or worse), it's Square's Trial-By-Fire encounter of "here's some deeper mechanics, good luck".

And it really does feel good to beat it the intended way, especially from what I've seen on the OT thread where people have complained about how they've died to this boss, advice was given on how to beat it and them actively doing it in ~5 mins.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
It is alright. Better than FF15 at least.

There is only so much you can do to make it work for an action-based system where you also have to control multiple characters. Might be interesting to see if it would be better to put a FF12 Gambit system to manage the other two party members.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fair point. I do agree that Square could've eased players more into this type of mechanic if it was a prevailant thing throughout the game. But as it stands, as many of those have played the full game in it's entirety, it's a one off and (for better or worse), it's Square's Trial-By-Fire encounter of "here's some deeper mechanics, good luck".

And it really does feel good to beat it the intended way, especially from what I've seen on the OT thread where people have complained about how they've died to this boss, advice was given on how to beat it and them actively doing it in ~5 mins.
And it's super fun to feel that mastery! As someone once said from Valve, "All games are puzzle games". You just have to make sure the players have the right prior training to solve those puzzles. It's why early Portal 2 puzzles, when they introduce jump plates and lasers and bouncy goo are all pretty trivial. You build up to it.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dont think there are any defenders of FFXVs combat. I hope not.

Look at first page comment , actually there is . If people think FF7r combat's camera is lacking , they've never seen FFXV one

3rkcx06e6m811.jpg

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I felt this way too until I realized I was button mashing way too much.
I ran into this as well. The game I think does encourage mashing maybe a bit too much with the importance of building your atb but if you can show down a bit you'll have a bit more time to block. It would just be nice if you could block with a character, switch, and they would stay blocking longer.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Give me a block cancel and sure. Otherwise, Cloud is too sluggish to be able to defend against anything.
That's complete bullshit. Blocking is essential and easily doable if you aren't mashing buttons which you obviously are.

Not only that but Cloud's Punisher Block is one of the best moves in the game. Saying that the game doesn't teach you things is one thing, but that's one of the first things they teach you. Your problems with the combat are because you're completely unwilling to engage with the mechanics of the game on any level, and then complain like it's the games fault. It's not like the game didn't teach you, you just don't want to do it because it isn't what you want. They literally made Easy Mode just for people like you.

Like you spent years obsessing and hating the game but never bothered to learn how the combat worked? It's just baffling. I went in blind assuming it would suck like a lot of modern SE, then I learned how to play and it turns out it doesn't suck.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Overall, I like it a lot. It's an amalgamation of various combat systems they've used recently, and one I think is a very solid foundation to build upon.

I do have some criticisms, some of which aren't necessarily aimed at the combat itself, but do impact it:
  1. Materia loadouts are way too small for too long, making it difficult to play around or properly account for elements, especially during segments with fewer than 3 party members.
  2. Fights are sometimes trial-and-error as a result, forcing the player to throw a dry run and die in order to find the 'correct' materia to stagger the opponent, or learn whether they need to equip the Steal materia. (This is exacerbated by the small allotment of materia slots.) I don't know what the solution to this is -- perhaps allow a 'quick restart to prepare loadout' option, rather than having to sit there and wipe.
  3. ATB/MP being lost when your actions are interrupted, when both are already restrictively finite. This just shouldn't happen.
  4. Limit Breaks missing or being nullified by phase changes. Shouldn't happen.
  5. Dodge being nearly worthless with the amount of homing attacks. Either allow the player to dodge a little more effectively, or remove it. It's to the point where, because none of the 'action' portions of the combat system are terribly meaningful (ATB and blocking are by far the most important mechanics), the game could almost have been truly turn-based -- and Classic Mode certainly should have been.
  6. Enemy AI tunnel visioning player character. This is a bit sloppy and abusable.
  7. Party AI. There has to be a middle ground where the player is encouraged to swap between party members, without the party AI being nearly useless in all facets -- unable to effectively generate ATB, unable to perform fight mechanics, unable to do anything intelligently. It makes it all the more apparent how ahead of its time FFXII's AI customization was.

This is a very lazy implementation tbh. not sure if it has something to do with the hardware resource management

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but like is counting the seconds in attack animations fun? I guess it is for some people but it's so meta. I feel like most people want to hit the button and have it do the thing, not like do math where Barrett's attack takes this long so I'm able to switch to these two to get their attacks in in the meantime, will do a shorter animation with him so an atb will be filled over there to heal. That doesn't feel like playing a game, it feels like micromanaging the metagame and not the fun part of the gameplay
I've personally never needed to do that...

Example:

Insert io cloud to use Focused Thrust on a pressure enemy, switch immediately to Aerith and charge Tempest to full and cast it (the enemy will stay focused on Cloud more than long enough to do this safely, Aerith has gained 1.5 bars of ATB from the secondary Tempset hit), then immediately switch to Tifa and choose what the best move is...

There is always /some/ down time between characters, but overlapping allows you to keep it to a minimum and keep characters safe during casts.

Yoi do not need to do any kind of exact math, and once you get a feel ot becomes second nature.

This is a very lazy implementation tbh. not sure if it has something to do with the hardware resource management
That point is a bit hyperbolic. You have time to set up and cast your chose spells or attack and to switch back before the AI comes for you. You are supposed to use switching to manage aggro and crate windows for your squishy caster to do damage, etc...

It is easily manageable if you learn the systems.

Last edited:

s y

Nov 8, 2017
it's an improvement over their turn based systems by default and their previous hybrid system in XV which was awful. Not quit good yet but it makes me interested in what combat looks like FF16 and the next FF7 remake game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's complete bullshit. Blocking is essential and easily doable if you aren't mashing buttons which you obviously are.

Not only that but Cloud's Punisher Block is one of the best moves in the game. Saying that the game doesn't teach you things is one thing, but that's one of the first things they teach you. Your problems with the combat are because you're completely unwilling to engage with the mechanics of the game on any level, and then complain like it's the games fault. It's not like the game didn't teach you, you just don't want to do it because it isn't what you want. They literally made Easy Mode just for people like you.

Like you spent years obsessing and hating the game but never bothered to learn how the combat worked? It's just baffling. I went in blind assuming it would suck like a lot of modern SE, then I learned how to play and it turns out it doesn't suck.

I KNOW how punisher block works. The problem is the GAME DOESN'T ANNOUNCE which moves are punisher blockable and which aren't, so you often go into punisher mode and then get pasted by an unblockable attack, which then forces you to stand up and REACTIVATE punisher mode while the enemy continues to go to town on you. Other games give a tell when a boss is going to use an unblockable attack. A red flash, SOMETHING that says "you can't block this". This game doesn't fucking give a shit. Rude can just punch you in the face and knock you across a room even though Punisher Mode is supposed to block MELEE ATTACKS and it doesn't matter.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This is what I'm talking about.

Please, stop being wildly aggro toward someone thinking block is sluggish. It's an opinion, and a valid one, even if you disagree. This sort of discourse is embarrassing.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I love it for the most part, with just a few gripes. Camera when a big boss gets all up on you is horrendous. Party AI is kind of stupid and if you don't switch a ton, your party sucks. And flying enemies are the most annoying pieces of shit ever.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Not a doubter here.

But I like how they implemented everything. It was quite challenging at times even on some normal encounters. Kinda frustrating at times but this is more self inflicted cause I was not paying attention enough and not thinking of proper timings.

But when everything clicks in a battle. It is the perfect evolution of the ATB turn based combat for me. It actually felt like turn based combat with the menu. even with the frantic healing/reviving when the enemy is two steps ahead of you and one of your party members keeps dying after reviving another.

Don't forget to block and dodge. Time your switches well. Think about how the combat will progress if it was turn based. Do not mash the attack button. Go for a stagger if normal attacks are not effective. The uniqueness in playstyle for each character. It is so damn engaging.

It has so much potential as well for future sequels and possibly FFXVI. My dream for FFXVI is a unique playstyle for each job class. It will be amazing.