• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

how do you like the the new combat system

• i love it - better than the original

Votes: 726 45.0%
  • i like it - but prefer the old combat

Votes: 269 16.7%
  • i don't like it - bring the old combat back

Votes: 191 11.8%
  • it's great but it need's some improvements

Votes: 328 20.3%
  • i don't like it & didn't like the old combat

Votes: 34 2.1%
  • i like both of them

Votes: 291 18.0%

• Total voters

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely better than FFXV but that's not a high bar to clear. Staggering takes way too long and dodging is just not fun or useful. Feels like an rpg trying to be an action game and kinda failing at both. When it works, it is fun, bu my when it doesn't it falls on it's face.

When you need to heal, you have to fill the ATB gauge which frequently means running around like an idiot avoiding attacks. Which necessitates dodging and blocking...which just doesn't work very well.
Steadfast block is your friend here.

Block to gain ATB.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Stagger is still a shitty shitty mechanic for battles. Stop doing it. It's not fun. XV while not as engaging had the right ideas with weapon types delineating critical damage.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could cancel common attack animations with the block button. Dodging isn't very useful either.

Also, I would love a gambit system.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
also... The stagger system falters during boss fights imo. Bosses have phases, once you finally stagger them.. you end up moving on to the next phase without ever really going ham on them while they are staggered. The stagger gauge goes back to zero once you reach the next phase..this has happen to me quite a few times during boss fights.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I'm loving it. Reminds me so much of Mass Effect 1, which outside of the jank and lack of fluidity, it's still my favorite combat system of the trilogy.
As for FF7, it's a more refined version of that, and so far, I'm fine with not being able to command party members to Ofensive/Defensive positions.
Let's see how it holds up on Hard difficulty, but for now, highlight of the game for me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
also... The stagger system falters during boss fights imo. Bosses have phases, once you finally stagger them.. you end up moving on to the next phase without ever really going ham on them while they are staggered. The stagger gauge goes back to zero once you reach the next phase..this has happen to me quite a few times during boss fights.
The boss phase switching issue is a pretty glaring one. They really should have found a solution to this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is not an action RPG.

Then they shouldn't have put the free movement into it. Just make it a turn-based game instead of something that's kind of bad at being an action game and a turn-based RPG.

Yup. Happened to me every time I staggered Eligor - the next phase triggered and I didn't get to do any meaningful damage to him. The fight was fucking terrible.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Then they shouldn't have put the free movement into it. Just make it a turn-based game instead of something that's kind of bad at being an action game and a turn-based RPG.
It works very well if you stop clinging to the idea free movement can only exist in an action RPG.

The combat is very good.

Poll results disagree with you.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving it. Reminds me so much of Mass Effect 1, which outside of the jank and lack of fluidity, it's still my favorite combat system of the trilogy.
As for FF7, it's a more refined version of that, and so far, I'm fine with not being able to command party members to Ofensive/Defensive positions.
Let's see how it holds up on Hard difficulty, but for now, highlight of the game for me.

so what you are saying is the sequel is going to be akin to mass effect 2, more action orientated, less time in and menus and considered the greatest in the series? GOT IT

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't mind it. Wish you could set up complex gambits for your party. That would be ideal.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I was a major doubter since I thought XV was honestly one of the absolute worst action rpg systems and one of the worst battle systems in general I've ever played. Coupled with KH3 being kind of a clusterfuck and my massive preference for turn based or more traditional JRPG systems and yeah I was one of the biggest skeptics.

And I love it so far! It's actually amazingly fun as hell. Hard to compare since they're very different and I'm not ultimately finished yet but I might prefer it in the end. The difficulty curve is nice so far too.

I'm glad to eat crow here.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
so what you are saying is the sequel is going to be akin to mass effect 2, more action orientated, less time in and menus and considered the greatest in the series? GOT IT
Not really. This game already takes enough inspiration from Mass Effect 2, like the atrocious level design, and a feeling of linearity not very common in an RPG.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I do prefer the old battle system.
Overall, I like it a lot. It's an amalgamation of various combat systems they've used recently, and one I think is a very solid foundation to build upon.

I do have some criticisms, some of which aren't necessarily aimed at the combat itself, but do impact it:

1. Enemy AI tunnel visioning player character. This is a bit sloppy and abusable.
  2. Party AI. There has to be a middle ground where the player is encouraged to swap between party members, without the party AI being nearly useless in all facets -- unable to effectively generate ATB, unable to perform fight mechanics, unable to do anything intelligently. It makes it all the more apparent how ahead of its time FFXII's AI customization was.
These are two of my major issues so far. The tunnel vision is insane, provoke was finally introduced so things may change but upset that I have to use one of my slots on it. Then having characters just stand around and do nothing for the majority of the battle is very wrong. In Chapter 8 and did the
Shiva battle
only to watch Aerith or Cloud just stand around for seconds at a time while the enemy would start attacking whoever I was playing as.

Also the Kingdom Hearts 2 magic system I am not a fan of. Everything is tied to an ATB gauge that only really moves when you are attacking or being attacked makes it a chore to decide what skill to even use because you may not even get a full gauge on that character for the rest of the battle. Looking at videos it appears that further along in the game this will change as characters get more weapon upgrades and materias that work like the "First Strike" materia from early on.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
It's a turn-based system with an action skin.
Well... then all tales of games are turn based with an action skin.

You are moving, you are dodging, you are attacking. If they are just a "skin", then they are pointless and come in the way of quick and direct menue navigation. If not, then it is a action based system.
You cant have your cake and eat it to.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy it, there's a lot of depth and some of the fights are quite a challenge. I like that you'll end up dead quickly if you don't take into account the combat mechanics. As for the original's combat...meh...

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The combat is absolutely incredible. Seeing people in this thread complain about AI is so puzzling. You're supposed to issue the party's commands, just like in the old games. If you create a gambit system for this you miss half of the frenetic energy of battles.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well... then all tales of games are turn based with an action skin.

You are moving, you are dodging, you are attacking. If they are just a "skin", then they are pointless and come in the way of quick and direct menue navigation. If not, then it is a action based system.
You cant have your cake and eat it to.
They're action first though, this isn't. This is turn based first with action parts surrounding it.

You need to take turns switching characters to build ATB, you need to take turns with the enemies to damage them then block or dodge, you need to take a turn to heal damage or remove debuffs... the core of the original system is here the players in the battles are just mobile now.

The combat is absolutely incredible. Seeing people in this thread complain about AI is so puzzling. You're supposed to issue the party's commands, just like in the old games. If you create a gambit system for this you miss half of the frenetic energy of battles.
Exactly.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It is great. But it needs some improvements. Like holi sheet honey bey bee, why cant you cancel the animation during combat? Like i need to defend and not waiting until the attack animation ends first.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol now you're just looking for reasons to hate the game, combat is well beyond XV
Is it? And I'm not asking this to be a troll. I genuinely like the combat in both games, but I know most think the combat in 15 is shit. To me they seem very similar. Keep in mind that I haven't played 15 since release though. I beat it in a couple weeks and never touched it again, but when I played the demo for 7, I immediately thought it was kinda like 15's combat.

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
I've only played the demo. I liked that the combat involves actual strategy and patience. I'm not sure about the whole stagger mechanic though -- it's two different systems tacked together, pre-stagger and stagger. I liked figuring out the general staggering strategy during the demo but I'm not sure I'd like a full game of it.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I like it, but wish I had more time to play as characters that aren't Cloud. The boss fights with Roche and Reno are the highlights of the game so far.

I don't see any value in the comparison, though, it's apples and oranges. FF7 turn based combat was fine. FF7R action combat is fine. Both styles are going for completely different feels, and one isn't inherently superior

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh, I think the materia setups you can craft can make for a pretty interesting system in the vanilla game. It just takes far too long to get to the point where it is interesting.

Totally. It's one my main problems with the original VII, you can get through like 90% of encounters by just mashing attack. Not to say you can't do that in Remake but for most of the enemies and bosses beginning around Ch. 8 you do barely any damage and have to focus on stagger and elemental weaknesses instead.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's good, but has issues. Team AI is dumb as shit, often just sitting on the field doing nothing. It makes it VERY hard to have characters run interference so you can do long range set ups. For a game that had a Front/Back system, they sure as hell have ai controlled characters do whatever the fuck they want.

Honestly it's not a problem until a certain boss
Hell House
, it's actually quite fun to play the game as a lesser DMC styled game for most of it. But when enemies start ignoring blockstun, require fine tuned strategies, or are surrounded by adds so you can't have a meaningful 1v1, the combat system starts showing it's ass.

But it's still better than I imagined, and with a few revisions, I would be happy to play another mainline FF game in this style.

You can turn the free movement in DQXI off. I would happily turn the free movement off in this game, it adds nothing.

It adds a TON. With deadly dodge and elemental materia, I played the first 60% of the game like a low tier character action game. Other than some funky hitboxes, it was a ton of fun, though I felt like a lot of the early enemies couldn't keep up with the idea of where the combat system was trying to go.

But man, free movement in this game is a game changer. If you aren't dipping, dodging, parrying, counterhitting, counterparrying, you're playing the game wrong.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great example. The point wasn't that DQXI is an action game, it's that it's fine to have free movement while not being an action game.

If I could turn off free movement and play this like the original VII I would love to.....the areas and the way its designed can still easily allow for a hard mode classic.

The classic mode that is there now is terrible and just makes everything so bad.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You can turn the free movement in DQXI off. I would happily turn the free movement off in this game, it adds nothing.

I agree. It just frustrates me when I get hit because I'm in the wrong spot. I'd much rather them have just balanced the damage enemies dealt to players. But that would require some well...balance. Which is clearly missing in a lot of these encounters..

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
2. Your AI party does almost nothing during battle. They should have let you set parameters to automatically control them.
They are absolutely useless. The only thing they know how to do is block and use an occasional attack. The auto-cure materia pretty much has to be on your main healer.

I just started back star ocean 5 and that fucking game has literally ever damn ai tendency you can set on your characters. It's kinda crazy to see the contrast in that aspect. Even some form of tendency or role would be helpful.
But pretty much need to monitor ATBs and switch from person to person then heal when needed.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I absolutely loved it, but I also really enjoy RTWP games, which Remake shares a lot of DNA with.

I also love the stagger system. I love the planning and execution behind setting up and carrying out a perfect "burn phase". It feels like slowly ramping the tension on a rubber band and then letting it go at the perfect moment.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The AI in 7R is much more preferable than say some shitty Star Ocean or Tales game where they attack willy nilly and don't block/evade out of the most important attacks. And even then, a lot of the time in those games when you need a party member to do something the most, they're in some animation such as attacking or recoving, making the situation even worse

7R holding block, building up ATB in the process by blocking and evading MMO style big area attacks is perfect.

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
I really don't like how it can consume your ATB/MP/Limit bars if you get knocked just before they go off. Interrupting the character is fine. But losing the ATB bar for nothing is awful

I'd alter the ATB build up slightly too. Slow it down on attacks. It builds up pretty quick. But speed up ATB generation when idle or backing off and playing defensive

You can be in situations when you're on low health and someone is dead, and you have no bar. When on low health, instinct is to play cautiously. But if you don't attack, the bar won't build up, so you get somewhat stuck if that makes sense

Edit: Also not a fan of enemies targeting the player control character all the time. For examplr Aerith has insane magic damage, and Tifa is a Stagger machine. But having them laser towards me when controlling them isn't fun. Provoke doesn't work on bosses and Lifesaver isn't enough

Last edited:

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw the first trailer I wasn't feeling the real-time elements and was hoping it would be more of a 1:1 battle system situation. I absolutely love this combat, probably my favorite in a Final Fantasy to date. It just feels so good. I love how the character switching makes you play the whole party.and they all play so differently which is way better than the original.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but I'd just like a few AI options. Rest is great. Though enemies should target non player character.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like how it can consume your ATB/MP/Limit bars if you get knocked just before they go off. Interrupting the character is fine. But losing the ATB bar for nothing is awful

I'd alter the ATB build up slightly too. Slow it down on attacks. It builds up pretty quick. But speed up ATB generation when idle or backing off and playing defensive

You can be in situations when you're on low health and someone is dead, and you have no bar. When on low health, instinct is to play cautiously. But if you don't attack, the bar won't build up, so you get somewhat stuck if that makes sense
There is materia, Steadfast Block, that builds ATB on block. It's one of the best materia in the game.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Once I accepted that it was more of an RPG than an action game I was able to get really into it, but early on I was having my action gamed instincts punished every step of the way lol.

I love it now. Probably my favorite combat system in the series though it could use some tweaking still

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Magnify + Haste and Steadfast Block on everyone. Bam.

Good ATB generation while idle/blocking.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
lIt's a fine base but it lacks polish and it feels like the developers didn't even play test their own game. The camera stinks. The game continuously switches which enemy you are targeting. It feels like every enemy can interrupt your attacks, not to mention they can generally attack faster than you. You're constantly being hit with shit off screen and the game makes excessive use of status stun locking and long lasting status effects. The because the enemy AI is programmed to attack whichever character the player is controlling, it makes playing as Aerith frustrating. You need to take control of her because the AI will do very little to raise her ATB gauge. But she attacks so slow she is very vulnerable when all the enemies are now targeting her.

Put all these together and you ultimately have a system that is unpolished. It feels like the enemies were not designed for the combat system they put in place. And that's a damn shame because there are many times when the combat is clicking and a lot of fun. But ultimately bullshit takes away from an experience no matter how fun the core system can be.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
7R holding block, building up ATB in the process by blocking and evading MMO style big area attacks is perfect.

Not if you need your Ai guys to run interference so you can charge up a few spells as Aerith. That shit gets REALLY bad, especially towards the end of the game where a lot of enemies have straight up teleports.

Like, the game has a provoke materia that, even at max level, DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK, and you can't manually trigger. The friendly AI in this game is atrocious.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
It's great but needs work. More options for managing your party or even online Co Op where your friends could be your party members would be welcome