• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man people REALLY want Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver to fuck on screen, don't they?

That or Wasp getting eaten by Blob...

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
They are just going to pass the torch to new people exactly as they've done in comics for decades. I expect we will have a few of these moments in Endgame

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
We don't need to rehash characters by making a second cinematic universe. One is enough. They'll pass the mantle onto other characters when the time comes. Marvel has enough characters where they don't need to have Tony Stark as a constant fixture in the series for 20 years.

I'm sure if the MCU is still around in another 20 years they may want to bring back some classic characters with new actors but we're more than fine until then I think!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
We're gonna find out soon how much they can handle thanks to DC's continuing clusterfuck franchise. A Joker origin movie disconnected from the cinematic universe and starring a completely different actor than the last, sequels to Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad that the studio are saying aren't 'sequels' lol.

But look at how easily the mainstream audience bought into multiple reality storytelling with Spider-Verse

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Can't they just stop doing comic book cinematic universes? It has to end right?

Not until it stops making money.

I always thought they would recast, but now I would imagine they go the route of other people take on the mantle or shelf the character and reintroduce later or an event occurs in the universe that alters the past or something and let's them bring back these characters with new actors. We will see how they do it, but whatever happens, it won't be anytime soon.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
They should just recast if they want certain heroes to continue on.
I feel like the difference between whether they recast or retire solely sits on whether the actor finishes out their contract or has to break early for whatever reason. I would imagine they have the most basic of outlines for a character arc when they sign an actor for a certain amount of films. If for any reason the actor cannot fulfill that arc, they'll recast and continue. But I imagine once they get to the end of a 7-9 movie contract with a particular actor and character (and the actor or studio does not want to renew) they'll go "yeah I think this is enough of Scott Lang Ant-Man for now" and move on.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
No, I dont want to see the Blob eat wasp.

In all seriousness the Ultimate universe is much much better than the regular MU. They only need to cut out the cringey stuff like the "do you think this letter stands for France" and forget about everything post Ultimates 2.

My favorite story was Ultimate Extinction. I hope we will one day see something like that adapted.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
I wouldn't mind elseworld stories but what would be the point in adapting the Ultimate Comics?
The MCU takes influence from both the Ultimate universe, 616, and MC2.
Spider-Man in the MCU uses the Ultimate Comics as an influence a modernized take on a teenage Peter Parker.
We are also getting Miles at some point.

Rebooting the MCU that will probably happen at some point that is inevitable but it will probably be like how the MCU does it they take from multiple sources not just one of them.

Though it would be nice to have some elseworld stories about Marvel characters though like maybe they continue the Fox-Men universe, and Sam Raimi Spider-Man stuff. Maybe merge those two universes then maybe have a version of the Avengers in this universe.

Regular MCU continues as usual, but there are Marvel elseworld stories.

Last edited:

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Ultimates made me stop reading comics full stop till a few years after it finished.
Millar is just trash.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like one shots are a more elegant way to do this in film. Rights issues aside, look at into the spider verse sitting next to the MCU. There is room for more than just your mainline films building up to the next big thing. Like even Logan in the Fox men universe being made in and around the other films without any issues.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
giphy.gif

Do I look to be in a gaming mood

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Recast all the way. i want to see Bucky and Steve doing superhero shit when I'm 80. I want Thor doing Thor shit.

Speaking of Thor, who are they going to replace Thor with once Hemsworth is done? Beta Ray Bill? Thunderstrike?

No one is going to watch a Thunderstrike movie!

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man -> Riri / Ironheart
Captain America -> Falcon or Winter Soldier
Hulk -> She-Hulk or Amadeus Cho

Need that Amadeus Cho....

And its funny, around when Civil war was coming out, I remember saying this is the direction marvel would be going after thanos (this was probably back in the old forums) and people were like "no wayyy! Itll be more chris evans, rdj and ruffalo!" And im like, look at how old rdj and ruffalo will probably be after thanos....
And I suggested sometime after 2020, it will be that, and its not only looking like that, but I hope it ends up being that.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
Recast all the way. i want to see Bucky and Steve doing superhero shit when I'm 80. I want Thor doing Thor shit.

Speaking of Thor, who are they going to replace Thor with once Hemsworth is done? Beta Ray Bill? Thunderstrike?

No one is going to watch a Thunderstrike movie!
If they want to have a superpowered Asgardian they'll probably go with either Jane Thor (but not Natalie Portman) or find some way to wrangle Angela into the story. Actually, given that he's a god, Thor is one of the few roles I can actually see them recasting rather than retiring. It's very easy to justify him changing his face for some reason rather than removing him entirely.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If they want to have a superpowered Asgardian they'll probably go with either Jane Thor (but not Natalie Portman) or find some way to wrangle Angela into the story. Actually, given that he's a god, Thor is one of the few roles I can actually see them recasting rather than retiring. It's very easy to justify him changing his face for some reason rather than removing him entirely.
If they have to justify a face change for his character specifically, then they might as well recast everyone as needed and justify it again.

I see the changing of actors the same way I see the changing of artists or writers on the comics themselves. These are characters that were birthed before us and will outlive us long after we're gone; let's not act like they're finite in a medium when they're all but that in every other medium that they exist in. The current actors may have qualities that they share with the characters they play (in reality, only two actors do so, and Tony only does because they did some personality tweaks following the success of iron Man 1), but they're not the only people on Earth that do.

Sure, I'll take an Ironheart movie as much as the next person, but that in no way shape or form should mean that Riri Williams starring in a movie is a valid reason why Tony Stark and James Rhodes can't be kicking ass in powered exoskeletons at the same time. RDJ and Don Cheadle aren't the only ones who can play those characters any more than the people currently writing the Marvel scripts are the only ones capable of writing Marvel scripts.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The MCU isn't going on forever, they're gonna end it at some point to reset everyone's contracts and when the overbearing movie-screen lore becomes too much cruft that scriptwriters will start turning them down.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, the MCU is already based a lot off the Ultimate Universe as it is, at least as much as I'd care to see them adapt from it.

They could introduce alternate realities/timelines/universes as a way to play around with the same characters still or tell stand-alone stories or remix elements from their main Marvel universe, and they are the only movie studio that I think could pull off different continuities and keep it "in-universe", but I'd rather they just keep it natural than be in any sort of rush to recast characters just because the brands make money or doing a "reboot" just because that's what Hollywood does.

I think that's a quick way to get fans tired of this universe by making it convoluted and transparently cynical. Not because people get tired of an actor and need a fresh face to retell potentially the same stories again, but by showing that they are willing to milk things as much as they can but hiding it behind a "reboot" rather than just continuing to tell new stories with the same characters untill it just naturally doesn't make sense anymore.

We already got Tony's origin or Cap's origin, why would we need it to be told again? Just to pump out more movies that are slightly different but rehash many of the same things? Reboots are at best trying to creatively get a clean slate, but we don't need one when we have over a decade of deep character development.

I think if any of the main Avengers actually get killled, as much as I'm against killing them just to have an "end" to the characters, I don't want them to be recast any time soon. If they are replaced, like passing the mantle, I don't want it to be just because they need a new version of every character because the actors are "too old" or whatever nonsense. If RDJ likes the character and where they will take Tony but doesn't want to do the action scenes anymore, I am totally fine with that. If Evans wants to take a few years off but is open to returning as Cap, not need to kill him off to get a younger actor playing the character. I think story driving the characters rather than business driving them is how it should be and fans need to stop trying to armchair executive so hard because Kevin Feige doesn't think of things in these typical Hollywood executive ways, and the MCU is better for it.

Not only that, but one of the rarely mentioned strengths of the MCU is that these characters don't stay the same age forever like the comics. They don't stay stagnant or have an arc that lasts through a film or trilogy and the writers never care about them again. They age with us, their stories can continue, and these movies more of less happen in "real-time" due to the logistics of the universe. I don't want them to kill off Tony Stark "because RDJ is getting old", if they can have roles for all these great actors and actresses of all ages, why should they play up the idea that heroes are only young people, other wise they are useless? Why shouldn't a story about Tony getting older be just as valid as Peter Parker being an adult rather than only being a teenager or college student? If RDJ and Marvel Studios thought in the cynical terms of what a movie or trilogy is "supposed to be" we wouldn't have gotten RDJ for another movie added to his contract for Civil War, we wouldn't have gotten his relationship with Peter expanded in Homecoming, and we wouldn't have felt that gut punch in Infinity War despite knowing that Peter had a movie coming up so he couldn't be permanently dead. By that same token, they wouldn't have EVER killed off Spider-Man regardless of how they may bring him back because they have another movie to market, and any other studio would have had Spider-Man front and center in End Game because of marketing, regardless of how much of a role they would have wanted him to have.

Of course, they make decisions based on business, but I'm glad that it isn't the most important aspect of their decision making, it's still story. That's why RDJ still signs on to more movies, that's why Sony goes along with Marvel's decisions despite not being at all what they would do if they made the calls, and that's why we the fans trust them in the end to make great movies despite knowing almost nothing about End Game. I see no reason why they should be looking to the past now at all rather than look to the future. The fact that you get Bob Iger getting hyped about the potential of a franchise like GotG or The Eternals to become major franchises like the Avengers without demanding that Marvel just keeps milking the Avengers brand any way they can forever shows me that Disney trusts their approach as well of characters and story being the priority.