• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think it will be much faster this time. I remember (perhaps incorrectly) that around the time PS3 and 360 were releasing, a 1080p was still a VERY new thing. They were also much more expensive than SD tv's and it took me a LONG time to get the money for one. I was on a small Samsung 720p tv most of that gen because of this.

4K tv's have been out for a while now and can be had for VERY cheap AND with HDR. There's likely a larger percentage of TV owners with a 4K tv already at this point in the cycle than there were people with 1080p tv's this point in the PS2>PS3 cycle.

I think it's actually a good thing that 8K content and tv's are still a ways off because it means PS5/XB can focus on making use of 4K.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It will look better on an HD set. Also whilst the pure resolution difference is not as striking getting an OLED or a good HDR LED set is a huge difference. Loads of content on Netflix and other streaming services to take advantage of too.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I expect to get a next gen console before I get a 4K TV. 4K is just not that compelling and it would cost too much to achieve better overall image quality than my plasma.

Once the tech settles down a bit and we have affordable TVs with longevity, 120Hz input, variable refresh rate, and whatnot, I'll consider upgrading.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 4k tv and I havent really been able to tell much of a difference with a PS4 pro so while I do keep current with technology diminishing returns are a real thing.

Honestly, for my next TV Im going to make an effort to find the dumbest TV possible. "Smart" TVs with apps and firmware updates that make even turning the TV on take 20 seconds are really fucking annoying.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
You don't. Unless you have a somewhat-120-inch TV with normal viewing distance of let's 2 meters or don't sit farther than a meter from your 55 inch TV.

Resolution, if not being used to reduce anti-aliasing and edge-flickering, which is obsolete with good TXAA implementations we got lately, is only about pixels per inch and minor details (like transparent textures, shadows, particle FX) being a tiny bit more pronounced. The thing is you won't see those details with 'normal' sized TVs and a sitting distance of let's say 2 meters (or even more). It's not about nextgen or better technology, because your eyes can only distinguish so many details (or pixels) per inch. To illustrate that a bit more: think of a car with its two headlights on. When standing in front of it you clearly see the gap between the lights. The gap becomes smaller and smaller the farther away you are and eventually the two headlights become one single light (depending on air conditions like temperature, general visibility, your vision, and so on, this happens around 4km). Now imagine those headlights being not the size of a big hand but a pixel and without any gap between the next neighbour pixel. Put everything into relation and the difference between 1080p on a 55 inch TV and 4k on a 55inch starts to wear off significantly already at around 1,5 meters. (I'm not saying you can clearly distinguish each pixel under 1,5 meters, but they do add up to a sharper image which is perceivable. You can though count the pixels, when sitting like 30cm in front your big FullHD TV). At around 2,25m the visible distinction between 1080p and 4k at that size (e.g. 55 inch) approaches zero.

What you can distinguish though with the new generation are better lighting, shadows, tessellation, particles, AI, higher resolution textures that work better in close-ups, and foliage. All of this perfectly visible at very low pixels per inch.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
I hope console games stay at 1080p throughout next gen. The jump FHD->4K in a typical living room is miniscule, you almost have to point out to people they are watching 4K to notice. Moving down to 1080p and get 4x the frame time however, that's where the real differences in visuals can happen.

On PC however where you're sitting closer I totally get 4K, and once printable 80" quantum dot TVs become the norm it will make sense on consoles as well.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just moved to a new country & my rental place didn't have a TV so I went to Walmart and bought a 43" 4k TV with good reviews for about $300 USD. 1080p TVs were pretty much non-existent there - you either got a dirt-cheap 720p TV or a 4k TV.

I was more than a little surprised since I still thought of 4k TVs as a luxury item, but the prices are quite affordable as long as you don't need a massive one with all the bells & whistles. And they're just going to get better & cheaper in the following years.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't. Of course you will get the most out of it if you have a 4K TV, but games will look a lot better on a 1080p TV too.

Another pretty strong justification for getting a new console is that the old ones will stop getting new games.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 4K monitor for my PS4 Pro and since I play everything at my desk and have a dual monitor set up, my screen size is limited to 26" and I honestly don't see it too much. When I put my PC display up there I do, but honestly I kinda hate using it for that (1440p will probably be the highest I go with PC in the foreseeable future). So yeah, I disagree it'll be necessary.

But for most people, they'll buy whatever TV looks solid at the store and at this point most of those are 4K already. I feel like consoles will be the only things that really take advantage of that fact for most people too.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
This time round, you really need a 4k tv to benefit from the next round of consoles. There really will be little justification buying one with for 1080p tv.
I don't follow.

Regardless of what TV you have, you'll still want a new console in order to play new games. Sure, you could coast for the first year on your old console because of the likelihood of crossgen releases. But once those dry up?

Doesn't matter if your TV is 720p or 8K, you're still not getting the stuff you'll wanna play on legacy hardware.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, there are still lots of benefits to get with a 1080p screen. Ill probably get a 4k panel in 2-3 years once I can get an 80inch + with freesync for a not obscene amount. But I will get the new consoles day 1.

Nov 30, 2018
4k tv's are pretty cheap nowdays unless you want all the bells and whistles

You can also find the bells and whistles for cheap

3NZYTGN.jpg

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure how someone can read all of the PS5 hype about the ray tracing and hard drive features and come to the conclusion that resolution is the only thing important in next gen.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If you want gow2 and you need a ps5 to play, 4k has nothing to do with it. And guess how normal people justify a new console.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
$1300 is not cheap to a large part of the console audience. Lots of kids will get these consoles and hook em up to their parents 7 year old 1080p set and it will be fine.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is like saying the Scorpio and ps4 pro are only upgrades if you have a 4k tv... This generation has encouraged options over anything. Performance is exponentially more important to me than visuals and having the option to choose to prioritize performance over visuals has been one of the best parts of this generation despite being slightly underwhelming with how many games have supported the feature. Next generation I wouldn't be surprised if all games included an option to play at 4k for enhanced visuals or 1080p for enhanced performance...that or it will likely just be a system level feature.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Your premise is false & 4k TVs have been the standard for a long, long time. They cost next to nothing.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Most TV's sold nowadays are already 4k ones. By the end of 2020, 4k TVs penetration will much higher than today, especially among the segment of early adopters.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
My TV is 1080p 60hz. It's immortal. Next Console hardware shouldn't even sweat pushing open world games, this and next gen, at 1080 60 fps.
Games running insync with monitor refresh rates equals beautiful image quality. I'm happy at the prospects of next gen and this old tv.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
No one manufacturing a next-gen console is going to make playing on a 4k tv mandatory, and the benefits of going next-gen are going to stretch far beyond just resolution.
Bingo.

Most TVs by then will probably not be 4k. I don't imagine until PS6 that I'll "need" a 4K tv...when they probably start talking about how it'll take advantage of 8K sets.

Oct 25, 2017
Your 4KTV will surely benefit from next-gen consoles, but your 1080p TV will also show the benefits of next-gen.

I mean all you gotta do is think about it. CG Trailers and movie CG looks better than real-time games on the same displays, whether they are 1080 or 4k.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to buy an 4K TV this year... but now with all that 8K and HDMI 2.1 talk I may just keep my 1080 and whatever
Ah, I wouldn't sweat 8K at this point. No console is gonna have 8K native resolution on anything other than lower budget Indie games, and probably not until the mid-gen refresh (if they do like this gen). Also 8K TV's aren't gonna be affordable for an average person for several years. The cheapest ones are around $30,000 right now. It'll probably be at least until next full gen (PS6, and whatever that Xbox is called) before 8K TV's are even a thing in the normal consumer market.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
You won't need a TV for games to look better at all.

TLOU Part II looks better at 1080p than TLOU does at 4K.

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
Nonsense. I'd have to keep playing PS4 games because my tv isn't new enough? What a take, lmao.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Rendering games in 4K is probably the least interesting thing about next-gen.
  2. You will still benefit from games being downscaled to your 1080p display.
  3. Nearly every TV ever built can support 60Hz no matter its resolution (50Hz in PAL regions, until more recently).
That last point is why I think it's far more prudent of them to focus on frame rate than resolution.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
It is almost certain that a 4k TV won't be required to see a significant improvement from next-gen consoles. Given that both consoles are targeting cross-gen compatibility, we'll probably get performance/quality options, which means games should be engineered to see improvements elsewhere if rendering only at 1080p. Realistically, I'm just hoping for 1440p60 rather than being forced to use 4k30.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Do they even sell 1080p tvs anymore. If you've bought a TV in the last few years it's most likely been a 4k set.

Nov 1, 2017
I have a fancy LG Oled 4K TV. It's literally the only luxury item i let myself waste money on cause fuck, i do too much gaming and watch too much TV, why not have something nice for that. A lot of the games with native or near enough 4K display options also have an option for 60 FPS, or at least a smoother frame rate and i choose that every time. Off the top of my head Forza Horizon 4, Monster Hunter World, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Hellblade all let me choose that. I can barely tell the difference between 4K and 1080P so it's a no brainer for me. So i don't think 4K is going to be much more than just a bullet point for marketing. Reduced load times will be a big thing going forward i think cause it's so much easier to describe as a beneficial upgrade than "the most accurate pixels ever" or whatever nonsense the Project Scorpio announcement was talking about.

I actually really hope that a prevailing theme for next gen is native 4K 30 FPS and 1080P (or higher) 60 FPS options. Cause then those who don't care about 60 FPS get a very pretty game and those that do get a game that feels amazing. Why not 4K 60 FPS? That would be nice too but i feel like many developers would not want to sacrifice visuals for that high res + frame rate combo.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If resolution is the only advantage of next gen, nextgen is gonna flop super hard.

MasterOfNone

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that TV marketing and marketing for resolution in general has been so shitty in order to push people to buy that now people think that 4K means better graphics.

Oct 25, 2017
La RĂ©sistance Country
Not until they sort out this Dolby Vision/HDR10/HDR10+ bullshit. As far as I know only 3 brands support the latter. LG and Sony aren't even supporting it (HDR10+). My next TV better support all the features known to man (outside of 8K).

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You can get a number of big name (Samsung, LG) 50" 4K TVs for $300 or less. I don't think you can even really buy a TV without it these days. It won't have an effect at all.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
4k is turning into the old 1080p range of pricing for tv's. Affordable ones for $400 or less.
It's not hard to enter the 4k market nowadays. Also I don't think 4k is needed to enjoy the next consoles. Improvements in graphical fidelity from improved shadows, raytracing, etc. is more important than a resolution bump.

Next gen is more about cutting down on those load times (SSD's) and finally hitting at least on native 1080/60 stable and 4k/30 stable on the base system.

OP
OP
Golden

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
No?

Do you really think resolution will be the only improvement going into next-gen? Everything else is going to be as if it was performing on hardware from 2013?
No, and i didn't say it was. 4k is Likely to be the target resolution, and i think this will be the most noticeable difference from this gen (obviously less of a difference from the x and the pro).

(subjectively improvements in load times are less impressive to me, as my pc had had ssd's for 10yrs!)

There will be a lot of cross-gen releases, for a good few years. Therefore for many buyers the reason to buy, won't be to play a game they can't play elsewhere, but instead to experience a better version of that game.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I'll add another voice to the choir - nextgen consoles will bring insane graphics, better framerates, possibly perfect LOD and no loading times, and of course exclusive games. 4K resolution is just one feature, and even it offers benefits on a 1080p TV through supersampling.

OP
OP
Golden

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
At the start of the 360/PS3 generation, most people did not have HDTVs. I imagine next gen will be the same. A minority will have 4K TVs at the start, but by the end of the generation, the vast majority of people will have 4K.

For me, Im not buying a 4K tv until hdmi 2.1 is the norm.
The 360/ps3 gen was not typically able to output 1080p content. This gen it was a more standard target res.