• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DLC?

• yes!

Votes: 509 82.0%
  • not interested

Votes: 112 18.0%

• Total voters

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, but only with the stipulation that From Software is involved with it to some extent. It gets in pretty dicey grounds deviating off someone elses original work too much without the original creators' consultation at least.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
has Bluepoint ever released DLC for any of their remasters/remakes?...I doubt Demon's will get any- they like to keep the same overall aesthetic as the originals

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yes, in general I love it when games get more content especially remakes and remasters.

I hate when content changes in remakes but not when extra is added on.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
No. I would love it! I'm always up for more Souls. Even if it turned out bad we'd probably at least get some new armors, weapons, and spells out of it.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I'd be super down. Even if it's bad it's not like it would retroactively make the rest of the game bad.

That said, I have faith that they could make a great area and bosses. They're no slouches. Sort of disappoints me to see so many people treating them like they're some newbie studio in terms of design just because From's design is so excellent.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Why does From Software need to be involved in the creation of a 6th Archstone, I think Blue Point has proven themselves to be able create a new area while maintaining the spirit with the rest of the game. If they succeed, great, if they mess up. It's not like anything would change and would bring down the rest of the experience as if the 6th Archstone never existed to begin with.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if they did do the DLC if the bosses would lean more Demon's Souls or Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Assuming From would be passing on all the planning/concepts/etc they originally had for the area, I'd absolutely be on board.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
If Miyazaki has some kinda involvement and Japan Studio works on it. No way would I want anyone other than From and Japan studio to be in charge of something like that.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
A thousand times over yes. I want the 6th Archstone completed. I imagine Bluepoint would definitely work with From Software on this, and I'd really like to see this happen, as Demons's Souls is basically one my favorite games of all time.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised it wasn't included. Demon souls remake is good but I already experienced it through the original version.

Give me new content.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
No. I want FromSoftware to put everything into Elden Ring.

Yes, if Bluepoint only has minor consultations and obtains original planning for the archstone.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'll say the opposite then most: yes, and without From software being involved. It's the best way to see what they can do and if it holds up.

If From is involved people will connect the good stuff to From and the things they don't like to BP and that would be unfair.

Oct 26, 2017
Not unless From Software makes it, which they won't, so no.
And this is how we got a Ā£70 remake that is too scared to change anything other than visuals.

If they had actually made a modern update of demon souls, id say yes. But yeah move on, i'd like to see bluepoint join with a team and start making their own games

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Really depends on how good their designers are. Matching the level design that From is known for isn't easy and that's the kinda level design that isn't being trained in the US or Europe at all anymore. So even if they'd like to do it, they might just have trouble finding the talent to do it.

There's a good chance they already tried it, failed and abandoned the idea mid production.

But in general, if they could match the level of quality, sure, why not?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'll say the opposite then most: yes, and without From software being involved. It's the best way to see what they can do and if it holds up.

If From is involved people will connect the good stuff to From and the things they don't like to BP and that would be unfair.

It becomes a problem when any developer is put on a pedestal and are treated like they are infallible, but considering some folks in the Souls fanbase you might have a point.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love DLC for Demon's souls, specially having seen what they were doing at that 6th Archstone.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Bluepoint has done a really wonderful job here, but they aren't From. Also, given their reverence for the original and staying true to it, I doubt they'd even consider it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i love bloodborne and the souls games but im really REALLY annoyed by everyone saying 'only when FROM is involved'. From software (and miyazaki) is not the alpha & omega. Stop unnecessarily stanning for them. If an official mario & zelda game can be developed without miyamoto's direct involvement, then a direct sequel or content additions to a soulsborne game can be too. PERIOD.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
No I'd rather they make their own game if they are going to make new stuff. Don't see much point in recruiting people and dumping a ton of time into inventing their own Demons Souls dlc if that's all they are going to do. Would rather they spend that time working on their own thing.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, no one gives a shit about From's blessing or stuff like that, outside a small smug subset of fans. People at large would not have any reservation against DLC. If its a viable business case it'll happen, if BP can make more money moving on they will. I would look forward to it, in form of a free patch. Not going to start buying DLC anytime soon.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Considering how people still react to Dark Souls 2 to this day, a game still developed within From, I'd say it might be better not to tarnish such a classic game.

I would love to see what Blurepoint can do from a game design perspective though. I'd probably prefer they create thier own game, or thier own take on the Soulslike.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how people still react to Dark Souls 2 to this day, a game still developed within From, I'd say it might be better not to tarnish such a classic game.

I would love to see what Blurepoint can do from a game design perspective though. I'd probably prefer they create thier own game, or thier own take on the Soulslike.

I mean, Dark Souls 2's DLC is for the most part really well received, and it's made by the same people lol.

No one thinks Dark Souls 2 tarnished Dark Souls 1. And no one who dislikes Dark Souls 3's DLCs think they tarnish Dark Souls 3. So I'm not sure why you think people would think an optional DLC would tarnish the game it's attached to.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I mean, Dark Souls 2's DLC is for the most part really well received, and it's made by the same people lol.

No one thinks Dark Souls 2 tarnished Dark Souls 1. And no one who dislikes Dark Souls 3's DLCs think they tarnish Dark Souls 3. So I'm not sure why you think people would think an optional DLC would tarnish the game it's attached to.

Fair enough man ;).

I suppose my apprehension comes from seeing young teams, like Team Ninja's PS3 team try to add to some of my favorite games, like Ninia Gaiden Black, and kind of fall flat.It seems like a big step for a team like Bluepoint to go from porting and visually updating games, to fully designing new chapters, that would likely have new enemy types, at least one new boss.

There are a lot of very talented game designers out there that I'm sure they could hire, but it would be a big challenge. If they are willing to take it on, I'd love to see tye outcome.

I personally think it might be better for them to work on something original though.

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
The whole door mystery Bluepoint added in has proven to me that they are more than capable of designing a new area...and lets not forget some concepts and game design for it were already done but scrapped in the OG version. YES PLEASE!

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough man ;).

I suppose my apprehension comes from seeing young teams, like Team Ninja's PS3 team try to add to some of my favorite games, like Ninia Gaiden Black, and kind of fall flat.It seems like a big step for a team like Bluepoint to go from porting and visually updating games, to fully designing new chapters, that would likely have new enemy types, at least one new boss.

There are a lot of very talented game designers out there that I'm sure they could hire, but it would be a big challenge. If they are willing to take it on, I'd love to see tye outcome.

I personally think it might be better for them to work on something original though.

Well I think the idea here a lot of people have been thinking was like, a DLC that they can try their hand at based on something else might be a good test run for doing their own content. The developers are clearly very very big Demon's Souls fans.

I think the other thing to consider is like, the expansion already has content. It's got enemies and layout and everything. It'll just need some work.

I do worry they'll get judged more harshly, but I hope that it being an optional DLC will offset. And I think the new items they've already added haven't caused any real problems, so that's like the only thing that could be an issue and it doesn't look like it would be.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Well I think the idea here a lot of people have been thinking was like, a DLC that they can try their hand at based on something else might be a good test run for doing their own content. The developers are clearly very very big Demon's Souls fans.

I think the other thing to consider is like, the expansion already has content. It's got enemies and layout and everything. It'll just need some work.

I do worry they'll get judged more harshly, but I hope that it being an optional DLC will offset. And I think the new items they've already added haven't caused any real problems, so that's like the only thing that could be an issue and it doesn't look like it would be.

I could see the biggest challenges being the level design, boss design, enemy design, gameplay pacing and difficulty balancing. I think they would do an amazing job with the artistic design.

And I do agree that doing a DLC would be a good way for them to cut thier teeth on a project like this. They clearly have great processes in place for production, art, engineering, animation (this project took them 3 years, and they released a polished next-gen launch title through a pandemic, which is incredibly impressive). If they can build a strong level and gameplay design team, I could see them doing great things.

Also, to be fair, doing a remake is exactly how the Coalition cut thier teeth, so perhaps it's fair to give Bluepoint a shot there. On the other hand though, the Coalition did have Rod and other original members from Epic directing a teaching the team. I assume Miyazaki probably won't be on-hand to guide them.

If Bluepoint could poach some designers from the Surge 2 team? They'd likely be in good shape ;).

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Not without From. Bluepoint has done an amazing job with its remasters and remakes, but the truth is they're still just a really skilled port studio.

They haven't displayed the ability or even the desire to design their own game, much less something that lives up to Demon's Souls. At most they've shown the ability to make a whole game's worth of art from scratch. Even building on From's codebase, I'm not sure about them actually designing a whole new level, designing new enemies, and working it into From's lore.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I could see the biggest challenges being the level design, boss design, enemy design, gameplay pacing and difficulty balancing. I think they would do an amazing job with the artistic design.

And I do agree that doing a DLC would be a good way for them to cut thier teeth on a project like this. They clearly have great processes in place for production, art, engineering, animation (this project took them 3 years, and they released a polished next-gen launch title through a pandemic, which is incredibly impressive). If they can build a strong level and gameplay design team, I could see them doing great things.

Also, to be fair, doing a remake is exactly how the Coalition cut thier teeth, so perhaps it's fair to give Bluepoint a shot there. On the other hand though, the Coalition did have Rod and other original members from Epic directing a teaching the team. I assume Miyazaki probably won't be on-hand to guide them.

If Bluepoint could poach some designers from the Surge 2 team? They'd likely be in good shape ;).

I would say and hey 343 too. Started with Reach support then co-made Halo CEA. But also then they made Halo 4 which was pretty controversial...

But still, idk. I'd like to see them try. At worst it's not received well. Which like, ehh oh well.