• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
With IOI taking exclusivity money from both Sony and Epic it's becoming clear that AAA game development isnt really sustainable for independent developers.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why does IOI's main website have this talking point (the same one for months) saying levels would transfer?
M3qXlNK.png

yeesh, why indeed

😬🥶💀

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
For fuck sake. I purchased both 1 and 2 last week thanks to the thread specifically saying the maps will transfer over. RIP.

Suppose I'll wait a year :(

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cool, so if I miss the 14 day window for any reason, I have to pay $74.99 CAD to access Hitman 2 content? Yeah, no.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure A Path Finder's entire plan was to fool a few of you on page 10 of a thread into spending an extra 10 dollars.

Couldn't possibly be that this is just late news and a fuckup, gotta be some scheme.

Oct 25, 2017
For fuck sake. I purchased both 1 and 2 last week thanks to the thread specifically saying the maps will transfer over. RIP.

Suppose I'll wait a year :(
If you have never played the games before, Hitman 2 will still offer you plenty of content with the first one's missions included. Games also tend to be at least 50% off on their Steam releases after an Epic deal ends.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

They definitely promised that levels would be free of charge to gain access to for steam owners of 1 and 2, in both communication and information on the official game website.

Heck, we had a thread here on recent deep hitman 1/2 sales based on said communication.

The graphic in question is both posted in this thread, and on this pcgamer article.

www.pcgamer.com

Hitman 3's Epic Store exclusivity means Hitman 2 levels won't be free (Update: IO says it's going to fix this)

Owners of the first two games were supposed to get maps from those games free, but on PC, that'll only work with Hitman 1.

There's 'maybe' some tiny bit of wiggle room in not saying 'for existing owners' not necessarily applying to all platforms, but by not saying any specific platforms, the assumption would easily be made.

In any case, there definitely isn't an asterisk on that graphic.

Yeah, imagine having that massive thread on here viewable to all, yet the guys on here from IOI dont come in and let anyone know that wont work?

Man.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
With IOI taking exclusivity money from both Sony and Epic it's becoming clear that AAA game development isnt really sustainable for independent developers.

This is why I can't be too mad at IOI about the whole thing - they were at real risk not too long ago and it's a fucking rough world out there for independent devs, especially bigger ones, and I can absolutely see why that guaranteed upfront payday from Epic would be a sensible choice in those circumstances.

There's no doubt they could have handled this situation better but the whole "they sold out artistically and took Epic's dirty money" line I often see in cases like this, even on ERA, feels childish.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I'm a little surprised how strong the reaction is, I have to admit. Isn't being able to play previous levels within the Hitman 3 client pretty much the definition of 'nice but inessential extra'? Is the main draw of Hitman 3 not...the Hitman 3 levels? Is it really worth spitting venom at a developer who have given you an absurdly replayable amount of great content over the past few years because the levels are split over 2 clients?

I bet they regret ever trying to go the extra mile with this whole level transfer thing. Had they never even tried absolutely no-one would have cared that you had to play the three sets of levels in three different games. That's just the norm. Now suddenly it's the most important thing that all the levels can be played in one place.

Dec 29, 2017
I'm a little surprised how strong the reaction is, I have to admit. Isn't being able to play previous levels within the Hitman 3 client pretty much the definition of 'nice but inessential extra'? Is the main draw of Hitman 3 not...the Hitman 3 levels? Is it really worth spitting venom at a developer who have given you an absurdly replayable amount of great content over the past few years because the levels are split over 2 clients?

I bet they regret ever trying to go the extra mile with this whole level transfer thing. Had they never even tried absolutely no-one would have cared that you had to play the three sets of levels in three different games. That's just the norm. Now suddenly it's the most important thing that all the levels can be played in one place.

They promoted the game as such. All three games in one, the World of Assassination trilogy. It's not an extra it's how they promoted and designed it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I can't be too mad at IOI about the whole thing - they were at real risk not too long ago and it's a fucking rough world out there for independent devs, especially bigger ones, and I can absolutely see why that guaranteed upfront payday from Epic would be a sensible choice in those circumstances.

There's no doubt they could have handled this situation better but the whole "they sold out artistically and took Epic's dirty money" line I often see in cases like this, even on ERA, feels childish.
They took Epic's money, they made it exclusive. Now they mislead if not just outright lied about things transferring and how they are transferring and don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Are they terrible because they took the exclusivity deal? No of course not but i've said it once and i'll say it again. I will never buy a game on the egs store and won't buy the game on pc till it's none exclusive and on a deep deal. EGS exclusive deals make me lose respect for the developers who take them.

it's because it was a huge part of the PROMOTION of the game. They talked about how the hitman 1 and 2 levels would see improvements in hitman 3 and it is a huge selling feature of the last two hitman games. They hyped it up multiple times as well.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

TBF, there are very few levels in the new game. Part of the reason that IOI offers level import from previous games is to boost the amount of perceived content (and value).

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, does that mean if I carry my progress over from Steam-Hitman 2 to EGS-Hitman 3 I cannot do the same again if I ever buy the Steam version of 3?

Genuinely have no idea and I doubt this will be entertained until the lead up to the inevitable Steam launch next year.

I think there's only so much muddied communication messages the community (let alone Hitman's fairly dedicated one I'd count myself apart of) can tolerate, not to mention how bloody close this was to release.

Plus, all these damn Access Packs, why can't it be a simple straightforward package? How on earth are new players or those looking to get into the WOA trilogy meant to make sense of these content packages? IOI's charts would be more convoluted than the ones Ubisoft puts out with its multiple digital editions.

The excuses really have run out.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

First off, no to answer your first question. IOI literally built these games to interlock with each other. They want you to have it in one client and mix unlocks and ideas between maps, their whole game is based on replayability.

Secondly while i wouldnt say most of us are spitting venom exactly, theres a right to be upset when people have spent money on the first 2 games on Steam specifically because it was noted the maps, and not just the unlocks, would carry over.

I mean that, and asking for money twice for the same product.

As noted above, we had a big ass thread about the first two being on sale, and to buy it to use in H3, and not a single person from IOI told anyone this wouldnt work.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
So unless the DLC addon is going to be cheaper than buying Hitman 2, it looks like it will cost me $25.99 for the gold edition as it's currently 80% off right now on PSN with a PSPlus discount. No way I am spending that on content I already own on Steam. I can't believe they waited this long to tell people, especially when they knew people were going to buy the previous games ahead of time during the Steam holiday sale with the understanding that everything would carry over to Hitman 3. I almost preordered the game the other day but thought better of it. Even though I am a huge Hitman fan and thought Hitman 2 was incredible I almost never preorder games until reviews are out. But now there is no way I buy it at all unless something changes which is very disappointing as I was so looking forward to it.

What I hate most about the Epic exclusive deals is that because Epic is buying X amount of copies stuff like this doesn't matter to IOI or any other developer at all. Why should they care if anyone purchased the game on PC if they already received the money? Even if half the people that were going to buy Hitman 3 decide not to after this announcement so long as it is under the agreed-upon presales they have already been paid and will more than likely get those people back in a year.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Its a bit baffling that a few peeps think that this thread 'overreacting' when Hitman 1,2-3 are made in a way where levels of each game are playable in their sequels and are improved. They're by design made that way, for the overall game to be replayable, its the way the game is structured and this is out of the ordinary and not a situation where progress just carries over to the next game or some small shit. I/O have been careless in not telling their fanbase regarding such an important matter like data not carrying over via EGS when they promised such stuff. This is not your usual 'devs had no choice but to do it' when not only they took that shitty exclusive VR deal but also failed to inform customers before hand regarding this 'progress not carrying over from steam to EGS' announcement. I know people want to defend developers because these financial deals more or less mean that they remain safe from bankruptcy however first they screwed over their fanbase with the VR exclusivity BS and now this.

Anyways, I don't mean to say that people should shout and yell at them and antagonize them hard but this time actually blame them for this fiasco too and not just Epic. Ultimately the entity responsible for this is I/O not Epic. It was I/O who took the EGS deal. It was them who took that deal from Sony to develop extra exclusive VR mode for Sony and its on them for not informing their consumer base regarding this data progress not carrying over issue. If any of you seriously think that customers don't get shafted due to all of this or some other ridiculous argument then its appalling.

tl;dr: No Excuses. I/O are as much responsible for this as much as Epic.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I think one of the main problems is that the outrage isn't because of this news alone. It's particularly because of previous messaging.

Like, we're not even taking the all platforms language and applying it to PC.

We're talking about the announcement of the Epic Games Store exclusivity, where IOI literally said "(On PC,) You'll be able to import your locations from the first two games. We plan for it to be a seamless experience".

If IOI had not made that promise I would not be nearly as angry. A "We will try to allow Steam Owners to import their locations to EGS but we can't promise anything right now" would have garnered a tonne of respect from me. They're taking Epic's money, they know they're inconveniencing the players, but at least they're being honest about it and wearing it on their sleeve.

But no, misleading a huge portion of your playerbase is not how to develop a good reputation as a Publisher.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

I dont blame them for taking the deals at all, you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the lights on.

While I think VR being exclusive to one platform is super shitty and itll only stop VR gaming from growing it is what it is.

The worst part about this is that IOI hasnt been honest with people and that's something people should be upset about.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't fault IOI at all for taking the deal as I understood why they would and I had fewer issues buying the game on EGS because of that. But if there was one thing they should have made absolutely sure wouldn't be a problem before taking the money it should have been ensuring people didn't have to rebuy content they already bought on the same damn platform especially when it's seemingly not an issue at all on the consoles. If that wasn't the case they should have made it clear immediately and not wait 5 days until launch or ensured people who owned the games could receive the addon for free. What makes it worse is they knew damn well people were going to buy the previous games on Steam or were receiving Steam codes during the holiday sales and using the information IOI provided to them bought the games thinking they would be able to transfer them into Hitman 3.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
My worst fears about the EGS deal coming true, just an absolute shitshow to dump on consumers this close to release when their messaging regarding level transfer having seemed to indicate we could transfer Steam purchases.

I didn't have any issue giving IO money on Epic since I adore Hitman, but getting fuck all for having purchased every bit of HITMAN related content on Steam at full price makes it much harder to justify purchasing the game on Epic.

Just the absolute worst solution that hits the established fan base the hardest, communicated in an embarrassing way.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It's slimy. The wording on that original announcement and it very purposefully never says that you can import Hitman 2 Steam levels into Hitman 3 EGS.

With that in mind, we are pleased to confirm that PC players will be able to carryover their current progression and unlocks from HITMAN 2 on Steam into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. It will also be possible for PC players to import locations from the previous two games into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. We want to make it a seamless process for our PC players to enjoy HITMAN 3 on a different PC platform and continue to enjoy the benefits of our World of Assassination.

Jul 26, 2019

Your information is utterly flawed.

Firstly, they didn't plan to do a trilogy from the beginning. Original plan was the make one Hitman game (that is 2016 one) and build upon that by making seasons of content. They scrapped that plan because of their messaging wasn't clear with the episodic content release and game didn't sell well. Once that didn't work out, they released Hitman season 2 as Hitman 2.

World of Assassination branding originated with that plan. Accessing all the content from Hitman 2016 to Hitman 3 is essential and actively used by their marketing. All of the missions are connected and players are encouraged to replay previous games levels over and over again. Mastery thorough repetition is their design goal for the series. So no, it's not the only draw of the Hitman 3.

After investing their player base to the said experience and selling these games after this promise, backing up from their word later and putting onus on the consumers is more problematic than the consumers getting angry to the IOI's decisions.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
It's slimy. The wording on that original announcement and it very purposefully never says that you can import Hitman 2 Steam levels into Hitman 3 EGS.
Yes it does.

"It will also be possible for PC players to import locations from the previous two games into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. "

Hitman 2 does not exist on EGS. The only game on the PC platform is on Steam. Therefore, they lied.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Yes it does.

"It will also be possible for PC players to import locations from the previous two games into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. "

Hitman 2 does not exist on EGS. The only game on the PC platform is on Steam. Therefore, they lied.
But you can import Hitman 2 locations into Hitman 3 on EGS. Just not from the Steam version. No lies detected.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
So for the console version I have to have Hitman 2 and 3 installed so 3 can see that I own the content for 1 & 2?

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
But you can import Hitman 2 levels into Hitman 3 on EGS. Just not from the Steam version.

It specifically calls out the game, "locations from the previous two games". I don't think arguing semantics is good faith though. The message of that paragraph is clearly, "Don't worry, you can still import your locations to Hitman 3 on EGS from Steam". This is cemented by the fact that in todays FAQ IOI acknowledge that what is implemented isn't what they said they were going to do.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It specifically calls out the game, "locations from the previous two games". I don't think arguing semantics is good faith though. The message of that paragraph is clearly, "Don't worry, you can import your locations to Hitman 3". This is cemented by the fact that in todays FAQ IOI acknowledge that what is implemented isn't what they said they were going to do.
You can import locations from the previous two games though. I'm genuinely not sure what the distinction you are trying to make is.

edit: Oh are you reading that as "previous two games (you own)"?

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
You can import locations from the previous two games though. I'm genuinely not sure what the distinction you are trying to make is.
Import does not imply purchase. You can purchase a DLC that gives you access to the levels from the previous games. You cannot import the levels from the games that you already own, as was said by IOI when the EGS exclusivity was announced.

What you're saying would be like iTunes saying I could Import my music into the app but actually only allow me to buy it on the iTunes store. They're clearly not allowing me to import my music.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm a little confused about something with all this. I've skimmed through the thread and didn't see the answer to this, so apologies if I missed it. Why does the storefront prevent the game from just reading your save file from the previous games and say "Oh, [user] has played [Hitman 1/Hitman 2/Both] games before and/or made x% progression in the game" and then unlock those levels in Hitman 3? And I've also seen in the thread that you can have an IOI account that records your game ownership for IOI games, which seems like it would be something independent of the storefront. I'm not understanding what system of past game verification they're using that's made this a technical issue.

Oct 27, 2017
Given that Hitman 2 isnt even available at EGS, it is extremely disingenuous to suggest that they never meant the Steam version would be imported as they explicitly state that progress from Hitman 2 will be available since day 1.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
You cannot import the levels from the games that you already own, as was said by IOI when the EGS exclusivity was announced.

What you're saying would be like iTunes saying I could Import my music into the app but actually only allow me to buy it on the iTunes store. They're clearly not allowing me to import my music.

I've posted the exact quote from them above and nowhere does it say you can import the levels from the games "you already own". If there's another quote that says that please share it with me.

You iTunes comparison doesn't work because you are saying iTunes says it can "import my music". But nowhere does Hitman say you can import "your" levels from "your" purchase.

It very specifically says that locations from the previous entries can be played in Hitman 3. How you get ownership of those levels is purposefully vague in that original EGS announcement.

And,again, I agree that it's slimy. It's written to make it sound like you can use your existing purchases, but never actually promises that.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I'm a little confused about something with all this. I've skimmed through the thread and didn't see the answer to this, so apologies if I missed it. Why does the storefront prevent the game from just reading your save file from the previous games and say "Oh, [user] has played [Hitman 1/Hitman 2/Both] games before and/or made x% progression in the game" and then unlock those levels in Hitman 3? And I've also seen in the thread that you can have an IOI account that records your game ownership for IOI games, which seems like it would be something independent of the storefront. I'm not understanding what system of past game verification they're using that's made this a technical issue.
If it was based solely on save file, it'd be very easily abused to give free content to people.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
It very specifically says that locations from the previous entries can be played in Hitman 3. How you get ownership of those levels is purposefully vague in that original EGS announcement.

....Are you daft?

If says 'at no additional charge' on the graphic describing the import/playing of hitman 1/2 levels for owners of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.