• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is very confusing, but apparently the gist of it is:

You can carry over your progress and unlocks from Hitman 2 on Steam to EGS

HOWEVER,

The Hitman 2 locations will appear as locked, due to you not having the Hitman 2 access pass purchased on the EGS store.

How does the unlockable content carry over but...not the content you unlocked it in? I see nothing in their post about even authenticating what you've done on Steam.

This is stupid. If they can see your unlocked content, that means you played that game. Why not just enable it then?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
As a huge, huge Hitman fan (Hitman 2016/2018 were both in my top 2 games for the year those years), first of all this sucks. I dislike EGS but I love Hitman too much so even though I put 100+ hours into the first two games on Steam and I just pre-ordered this yesterday on EGS.

But, tbh even though I did the Legacy Pack Hitman 2016 levels into Hitman 2018 thing back in 2018...I don't think I spent more than a few hours replaying the old levels that I'd already completed 100% (or near 100%) back in 2016/2017. Like yeah, having them in a new engine was nice, but I'd played the crap out of the maps by that point and my 100+ hours in Hitman 2/2018 was entirely in the new maps.

However, having some of the unlocks from those levels early on definitely was helpful in 2018, like the lockpick and stuff.

So while again, this sucks, I'm not gonna be super torn up if I don't get a chance to replay Hitman 2016/2018 levels in Hitman 3, since I can always just boot up 2018 to play them, but since progress is supposed to carry over with the IOI account...any idea if the Hitman 1/2 unlocks will carry over to Hitman 3 even if you don't rebuy Hitman 1/2? That's really all I care about tbh.

Also TIL the deluxe edition is $10 cheaper on consoles. Had no idea and paid $90 for the deluxe (again, huuuuge Hitman fan and will be a sucker and pay $30 for escalations), so that's pretty bullshit that the same content is $80 on consoles. WTF man.

And someone mentioned well with all the Epic Store coupons H3 is cheaper or something. Ummm, I tried using the holiday $10 off coupons and they wouldn't work on Hitman 3 pre-order. So I dunno what they are talking about.

To be fair, this whole fiasco is a result of Hitman 2 being a total fucking bomb. Game was amazing, just like 2016 (although 2018 was content starved at launch in comparison for sure), but it sold like crap. I honestly thought IOI was gonna go out of business after that and I really had low expectations of Hitman 2020/3 ever happening. So I'll deal with this unfortunate bullshit as a side effect of at least getting a Hitman 2020/3.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I still dont know how they can claim to move over your unlocks, but still require you to pay extra to buy the maps again. How did i unlock stuff if I dont own the game, IO???

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
This is disappointing. I will wait for steam release now.

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
How does the unlockable content carry over but...not the content you unlocked it in? I see nothing in their post about even authenticating what you've done on Steam.

This is stupid. If they can see your unlocked content, that means you played that game. Why not just enable it then?
They mention it in the announcement:

"The following progression will be included in the carryover process: player profile, XP rank, location mastery levels, location mastery unlocks, challenge progress, challenge unlocks and Elusive Target suits/unlocks. Savegame files are not carried over. "

I think people are getting ahead of themselves by blaming Epic for this, considering this weird situation with unlocks being carried over but not locations, this might be a result of some weird licensing issues with Square or WB or even Steam. (Still could be Epic but no reason to jump the gun)

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I was answering to that particular quote. Like I said, devils advocate: they carefully worded their stuff. It's still a shitty situation.

It literally says 'no additional cost' for playing 'all locations' from Hitman 1 AND Hitman 2 in the graphic that was above my last post.

Hitman 2 levels will cost 'something' to be able to play, not 'nothing', as IO stated previously.

You're not playing devil's advocate, you're just wrong.

Edit: I see that you're referring to the 'progression' aspect, but technically, playing devil's advocate would include that 'progression' would include being able to play the levels you may not have full mastery of from Hitman 2, especially in the context of the overall argument/reversion that was changed here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I might be misunderstanding this but I don't think it is? Cos any Hitman 2 player on Steam won't carry forward their progress from their Steam copy, even if they do buy all the access passes, because there is no EGS copy of Hitman 2 to transfer progress from?

I suspect that their servers will treat H2 and 3 as the same thing , so the content will all revolve around that.
They have explicitly said that your progress earned within the H2 client on steam will carry across into the H3 client - as the H2 levels are DLC for H3 (even on Epic) there is no need for a H2 client on epic.

The original game was published by another publisher, so I suspect that interfered with H16's data transfer- as it likely belonged to square-Enix.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Everyone keeps saying that they'll wait for the Steam release. Is there anywhere that says there will be a Hitman 3 Steam release?
They haven't explicitly said Steam, but they've said it's a 1 year timed exclusive to the EGS and I don't see why they wouldn't bring it to Steam after that period

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone keeps saying that they'll wait for the Steam release. Is there anywhere that says there will be a Hitman 3 Steam release?

It'll 99%+ likely happen.

Even if it doesn't I'll wait for a discount then. I'm not paying $60+DLC costs for shit I already own.

I suspect that their servers will treat H2 and 3 as the same thing , so the content will all revolve around that.
They have explicitly said that your progress earned within the H2 client on steam will carry across into the H3 client - as the H2 levels are DLC for H3 (even on Epic) there is no need for a H2 client on epic.

The original game was published by another publisher, so I suspect that interfered with H16's data transfer- as it likely belonged to square-Enix.
Thanks that makes more sense

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying it, right here. There will be a Steam release of Hitman 3 most likely one year to the day after the EGS release. You know, just like virtually every game that launches on EGS but not Steam.

I love the last two games SO MUCH but there's no way I'm following them to EGS.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
The mastery level alone should be a way to know if a player owns the H2 maps. Even requiring at least 1 level of mastery per map to activate ownership would be better than this.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
So what was the point of blocking Steam -> Epic transfer? Hoping to sell copies of Hitman 1/2 on Epic? I feel like it's just backfired and now people are waiting to buy it on Steam instead.
Such an odd decision, they could have just taken the Hitman 3 sales.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I was going to wait for the Steam release and this is just enforcing how this shit is so bad, I already have too much stuff to play so yes not a big deal.

Hopefully the money they got from Sony for VR exclusivity and Epic Games is enough for them.

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
The mastery level alone should be a way to know if a player owns the H2 maps. Even requiring at least 1 level of mastery per map to activate ownership would be better than this.
They know exactly what players have. If you log into your IOI account it states which games you have connected.
This seems to be an issue of them not being allowed to give Hitman 2 content for free on EGS for some reason.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's baffling that progression can be carried over but content can't?
Timmy just give it away as a freebie like everything bloody else.

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that Epic has no problem with giving away free stuff, this seems more like it is a WB issue than an Epic issue especially considering only Hitman 2 is affected but not Hitman 1. But at this point it is just speculation. Like it should have been pretty easy to at least setup Hitman 2 as being free on the Epic store for the upcoming week. But the fact that Hitman 2 is not getting a release on EGS store at all makes me think this is not up to Epic.

Dec 29, 2017
Considering that Epic has no problem with giving away free stuff, this seems more like it is a WB issue than an Epic issue especially considering only Hitman 2 is affected but not Hitman 1. But at this point it is just speculation. Like it should have been pretty easy to at least setup Hitman 2 as being free on the Epic store for the upcoming week. But the fact that Hitman 2 is not getting a release on EGS store at all makes me think this is not up to Epic.

Square Enix published the first game and Warner Bros. published the second. Did not know that.

Oct 25, 2017
Really seems like a "too many cooks" problem. Four separate entities (SE, WB, IOI, and now Epic) have a stack in the games, and I can totally see WB being unwilling to functionally give out free copies of the games.

This totally blows, as I'd prefer to do everything in one platform and one download. I have Hitman 1 on Epic because they gave it away for free, and looks like they are continuing to do if you buy H3, but H2 doesn't have an Epic version yet? So the only way to get those stages will be a TBD method/price for the legacy pack for the H3 engine?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Square Enix published the first game and Warner Bros. published the second. Did not know that.
Yeah, it's created quite a mess.

IOI were owned by square and bought themselves independence, but there must have been other things as part of this negotiation which affected things.

There was only meant to be 1 Hitman game, this next game would have in fact been season 3.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I will say it's nice that you get a "free" upgrade to the GOTY version of Hitman 1 if you only own the base copy. I'm sure those Patient Zero missions will ring differently playing them now.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm guessing it's a WB issue, not Epic. Still, telling us five days before the game's release is pretty scummy on IOI's part.

I think the least IOI can do is come up with some free bonus DLC for PC players to make up for all of this nonsense (and make any such content available for consoles for 20% of Hitman 2's price to make it fair for everyone). Between this, EGS exclusivity, and the PSVR exclusivity, Hitman 3 on PC really is a rotten deal compared to consoles.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
If they have the authority to make the Hitman 2 packs 80% off, I don't see why they couldn't just make them free for 10 days like they're doing with Hitman 2016

Also, I don't buy that it's a WB issue, why does it work on console if it's a WB issue

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
If they have the authority to make the Hitman 2 packs 80% off, I don't see why they couldn't just make them free for 10 days like they're doing with Hitman 2016

Also, I don't buy that it's a WB issue, why does it work on console if it's a WB issue
Consoles are a completely different thing, all of the purchases were made in the same storefront - PSN and Xbox. Giving away free copies on a completely different storefront than on the one you were on previously could be a point of contention with publishers.

" We've done everything possible to make this process smooth and player-friendly. However, due to various circumstances out of our control, we want to acknowledge that the process is different to our initial plans for PC players. "

This quote seems to suggest that it is either due to the storefront owners (Steam/Epic) or publishers (WB/Square). Or both (Epic and Steam or Epic and WB couldn't come to an agreement)

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder why they're getting rid of the electronic phone too, not that I used it very often but it's still strange.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I guess with the way this industry works, we can be happy to learn it now and not on launch day.

But the usual Epic exclusive rule apllies with such issues. They got Epic's money, they don't need mine. Good luck selling your next game though.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
It was way too overpowered, and complained about in the community. It was a very easy and broken way to get silent assassin rankings. I don't think it is anything deeper than that.
It's ridiculously overpowered and is a easy way to SA the elusive targets. And because ETs are one-shot only, there's no reason to ever not use it.
It was extremely extremely extremely broken. It could make accidental kills incredibly dumb.

Thanks, never knew that.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
May as well ask here because it's the most active thread.

The deluxe edition has no mention of a season pass for future DLC maps, unlike Hitman 2. So buying the Deluxe Edition does not entitle me to future DLC maps.

Am I correct in this assessment?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I missed that. That's how it is I guess. There is no H2, but there is the legacy pack, but no price yet? So not clear what the 80% off amounts to.
Correct

May as well ask here because it's the most active thread.

The deluxe edition has no mention of a season pass for future DLC maps, unlike Hitman 2. So buying the Deluxe Edition does not entitle me to future DLC maps.

Am I correct in this assessment?
Correct, ingame content are only the deluxe escalations (which we don't really know what they are), and three special skins.

Status
Not open for further replies.