• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit, now I'm *really* glad I bought it on PS5.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GOG hasn't done it in years.
That's largely because GOG Connect activations are literally lost sales for GOG, and I would expect they paid the developer up front to take part. I also get the impression that GOG's been suffering from budget cuts.

Point is: this isn't on Steam. I don't think Steam is blocking Io from looking at whether or not Steam users already own Hitman games for activation on a different platform. Hell, Paradox has been doing precisely that for years, including Crusader Kings 3 and Empire of Sin.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
They signed exclusivity with a shitty storefront which screws their customers, them going back on this promise is another screwing your customers. it's a poor look.

Putting a game on EGS isn't "screwing your customers." You're not entitled to play a game on your favorite launcher any more than you're entitled to buy a Big Mac from Burger King. The latter isn't "screwing your customers" unless they knew they couldn't deliver on their promise, and there's no evidence of that.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
It boggles my mind that a studio like IO, Who lets face it Isn't exactly swimming in success with this hitman trilogy, would do something that is actively going to produce less sales. Like...are they trying to kill this franchise? Because from start to end it's been full of decisions that range from weird to downright awful for the people actually playing the games.

I just hope that initial epic payout was worth it.

From amounts that have been rumored/discussed in earnings calls, it absolutely is likely to have been worth it, at least in the short-term.

Long-term brand-wise though....we don't know yet. Borderlands 3 didn't light up steam (compared to previous entries), but it didn't review as well either.

Most of the other notable exclusives who've come to steam later have thus far sold at least decently, if not quite well. Control, Satisfactory, Hades, etc..

IO can't catch a break, man

IO's break was getting paid in advance with Fortnite bux.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for the Steam release, normally I wouldn't care but I ain't rebuying two games I have to just to have the full experience I already mostly paid for.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I have no idea what this is supposed to rebut, I didn't say anything about standalone game vs DLC

People were promised something for $0, $4 is not $0, $12 is not $0. It's really that simple.

Luckily you can still refund Hitman 3 on EGS if it bothers you that much so you haven't actually lost anything. It sucks they couldn't make happen what they said they could but they're not taking money from you under false pretences. They're making clear what the limitations are and you in turn have the chance to get a refund before release and wait for the game on Steam. It's really that simple.

Sometimes companies can't deliver on what they promise, the important thing is that they're transparent about it before release.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Am I crazy or is Hitman 2 not available on EGS?

Nevermind, saw in the OP it will be available after HM3 launch.

Also thanks for clarifying peeps (you are fast!).

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
And now I'm just remembering all the other stupid timed bullshit they were always putting in these games. Preorder bonuses and elusives. Granted they'll probably rerun them like they usually do, but it's all just so stupid that people will miss out on this stuff.
Yeah, weird people don't talk about this stuff. Buying 1 and 2 on sale, it feels like I missed out new gameplay for no real reason. It's a single-player paid game with a timed mission component? Also having to be always online to "verify the integrity of the challenges" is a pretty flaccid mask for online DRM. Coupled with the servers hiccuping every few hours. And there was even an actual multiplayer mode they decommed? The core game is still great, but I can't help but feel like marketing it at 80% off a full featured, full priced game is a bit... shady.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The latter isn't "screwing your customers" unless they knew they couldn't deliver on their promise, and there's no evidence of that.

It's absolutely screwing your customers when promising them something, and then 5 days before release, suddenly being 'unable to deliver', and thus making them buy something they've bought (and were previously 'confirmed' to be free) again - what kind of nonsense is this?

Am I crazy or is Hitman 2 not available on EGS?

Not as of now, no.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Luckily you can still refund Hitman 3 on EGS if it bothers you that much so you haven't actually lost anything. It sucks they couldn't make happen what they said they could but they're not taking money from you under false pretences. They're making clear what the limitations are and you in turn have the chance to get a refund before release and wait for the game on Steam. It's really that simple.
I have, as I've already said. I would have appreciated more than a 5 day heads up after saying for months that it would transfer

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Putting a game on EGS isn't "screwing your customers." You're not entitled to play a game on your favorite launcher any more than you're entitled to buy a Big Mac from Burger King. The latter isn't "screwing your customers" unless they knew they couldn't deliver on their promise, and there's no evidence of that.
Putting a game on EGS is actively screwing your customers and has been for years. EGS store doesn't offer anything worthwhile and frankly shows a lack of care for their customers.

They promised something and are not delivering that's screwing customers. You can argue all you want but it's still bs.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
My biggest problem with this is if transfer of progress on hitman 2 to 3 is a one off. If it is, then progress/mastery gained on 2 after starting 3 will stay in 2, meaning you will have to buy 2 again on EGS and do it all over to get those upgrades. That's in my opinion the worst case.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
This really feels like me getting punished for IOI signing a deal with epic. Thats pretty fucked up.

I know some IOI employees are around here, and while I do not directly blame you, you should really, REALLY keep trying to get the hitman 2 levels (+dlc) free in the game for those that already bought it. Right now this is a straight up middle finger to your customers, not a good look even if it was not your choice.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at lengths people go at defending this.

unknown.png

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's disappointing but definitely seems like something they were very sure *could* be done so I'd be interested to know what roadblock they faced with this. The fact they say that it was circumstances outside of their control makes me think it isn't technical, so someone isn't playing ball and I would have to assume it's Epic. If I had to guess, probably so that they can get people to buy Hitman 2 on the store as well as 3.

I don't blame IOI for taking the exclusivity money, as an indie dev you have to do what's best for your studio and with the money offered it's obviously the call that made the most financial sense for them. They shouldn't have promised this if they weren't 100% sure and something that wasn't set in stone , but maybe they were sure and the rug was pulled away form them at the last minute.

Not that any of this affects me, I'll be playing on PS4/5

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I just bought Hitman 2 on Steam because of that previous thread saying that they could be carried over!

What the fuck!

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yeah, kinda figured something like this would happen. Gonna wait until 3 is on Steam. Not like re-buying Hitman 2 at 80% off on EGS would bankrupt me, but it's just kinda dumb to spread my ownership across platforms when the games are specifically made to be cumulative like this
Agreed. I have both games and the second one I have is the gold edition. Disappointing.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Based on this thread, the game would actually be losing sales for adding in the non-trivial work of backwards-integration, but the money hat would surely cover that, for now.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I also bought Hitman 3 assuming I could carry over my Steam stuff. So if I want to play all 3 games in Hitman 3, I just need to buy the Hitman 2 DLC at 80% off?

grizzlyburrs

Apr 23, 2020
Also bought the game on Steam to play inside 3! Maybe they could've done this more than like, say, a week in advance?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Long-term brand-wise though....we don't know yet. Borderlands 3 didn't light up steam (compared to previous entries), but it didn't review as well either.

Most of the other notable exclusives who've come to steam later have thus far sold at least decently, if not quite well. Control, Satisfactory, Hades, etc..

I think Borderlands 3 did do fairly well on Steam; it probably would have done better if not for nearly all AMD CPUs / GPUs for weeks / months giving away BL3 free on EGS with the hardware. One pc build could have got you 2 copies lol.

The other games you mentioned are on Playtracker too though, and while it's just estimates, they did estimates for EGS sales in 2019 and one year later the Steam versions are estimated to be doing better in the same time frame.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Arbitrarily putting your product on another store away from where your customers are, due to financial inducement from a competing store, is absolutely screwing their customers. Especially so when now those same customers can't benefit from content from IOI they already purchased.

It is not "entitled" to ask that producers meet consumers where they actually are. Everyone can understand why studios are taking these deals but there's no point pretending it's either neutral or beneficial to the end user, it simply isn't.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If you're someone who is cautious about buying games in EGS, stuff like this should solidify your resolve to just wait for the Steam version.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I guess I'm a little miffed about needing to buy the access pass for Hitman 2 (if I can carryover my challenge progress, surely that means I own the game), but I'll buy it anyhow. But what really irks me is no pre-load on PC. That means I'll have to spend about 10 hours of launch day downloading the game and then configuring the transfer process.

Ugh. IO is lucky I love this series.

Dec 29, 2017
Here I was looking forward to having all 3 games take up no more than 70GB on my SSD instead of 120GB+.

I still might buy it. I did get H1 and H2 for cheap when they were on sale on Steam a few years ago.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hitman 3 on EGS hasn't been on sale, and the coupons didn't apply to a pre-order of it, believe me, I checked frequently
Ah that's frustrating.

I wonder why IOI doesn't just release Hitman 2 the same day and work with Epic to make it the free game that week or something. At least give people a chance to redeem the content for free

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay. Just another confirmation that it's always better to wait a year instead of buying anything EGS exclusive so far.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say that all you needed was to link HITMAN 2 to an IOI account and then just use the same one for the new game?

I was just about to preorder this today. Guess I'm not even buying it at all. I have a combined 314 hours on PC with the previous two games, and you bet your ass I ain't spending money to buy another version of them to have access to content from prior games, the big thing that they marketed about this iteration of Hitman. I bout their Patient Zero DLC to support them after they left Square-Enix, but I am not supporting this shit.

All this has done is prove to people it not being on Steam was a bad fucking move. Let me guess, because you have to get all the games on Epic's store now, none of your content even carries over and you have to unlock everything again for a third time?

What a fucking mess. No wonder these games struggle in sales.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Putting a game on EGS is actively screwing your customers and has been for years. EGS store doesn't offer anything worthwhile and frankly shows a lack of care for their customers.

They promised something and are not delivering that's screwing customers. You can argue all you want but it's still bs.
You can argue the second point, but the first is nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.