• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Hitman 3 on EGS was never an option for me. I already knew this was gonna happen. I'll wait a year and play it properly on Steam.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
If you already own Hitman 2 on Steam, just go play that. Not being able to import it into Hitman 3 on EGS isn't really that big a deal. Yes, there are some extra benefits to importing into Hitman 3, but they're not that terribly significant. The whole "import your levels" thing is really more for console players who want to play all the levels in one place on next-gen consoles without keeping 2 machines plugged in.

To be clear, this is disappointing, but I'm not sure all these rage-filled "fuck IO Interactive" messages are warranted.

To my mind it's more the comms surrounding this than the actual impact. Putting this out a few days before release just isn't a great look.

Plus there was something super convenient about being able to play the H1 levels in H2 with the gameplay improvements as well, even with the mastery reset.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
WOW, I literally just posted about buying this to support IOI but F that. I guess I will play it in a year then.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They already got people paying money for a new full-price release, which is what they wanted. It makes no sense to now turn those customers away.

The most likely explanation some kind of technical issue when transferring licenses from Steam.
Bluntly, I can't imagine it's impossible since they've got their Io accounts (which they'll be using for the save transfer). It'll be a situation where it should be possible to link a Steam account and an EGS account to the same Io account, and it should be possible to check if the Steam account has relevant Hitman purchases, and to grant relevant Access Passes to the EGS account.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really matter to me. It would have already been cheaper on Steam through authorised resellers unlike the dealers Epic allow, which charge full RRP. Paying even more is a real fucking kick in the teeth.
For me it's all cheaper on EGS but it's the fact that I would have to spend more than I planned - plus the fact I bought H2 already on Steam for this purpose.

Bah, I might just go play H2 and forget about 3 for now...

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
They already got people paying money for a new full-price release, which is what they wanted. It makes no sense to now turn those customers away.

The most likely explanation some kind of technical issue when transferring licenses from Steam.
That's likely last thing it could possibly be. Indie studios have figured it out. Gog does it all the time. It's seems pretty easy to do.

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: about a month ago IO Interactive said that each level would have 20 mastery levels (indicating that they are all full-sized maps without any miniature ones like Hawke's Bay from H2), but the trophy/achievement list reveals that the final level only has 5.

I'm still excited for the game but it's pretty shitty that they misled people like that.

Wait, what? Why would they do that? That fucking blows.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
If you already own Hitman 2 on Steam, just go play that. Not being able to import it into Hitman 3 on EGS isn't really that big a deal. Yes, there are some extra benefits to importing into Hitman 3, but they're not that terribly significant. The whole "import your levels" thing is really more for console players who want to play all the levels in one place on next-gen consoles without keeping 2 machines plugged in.

To be clear, this is disappointing, but I'm not sure all these rage-filled "fuck IO Interactive" messages are warranted.
Hitman 2 with Hitman 1 levels is 150 GB whereas Hitman 3 (with all the H1/2 content!) is said to take up only 60-70 GB due to higher asset compression, so this approach would be basically "wasting" 150 GB of storage space, which is quite a bit, imo

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that sucks, pretty big turnaround after they had previously announced that it would work. Well like with the previous games I'll just wait a year or so until I can get it for cheap and play it on Steam.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
And now I'm just remembering all the other stupid timed bullshit they were always putting in these games. Preorder bonuses and elusives. Granted they'll probably rerun them like they usually do, but it's all just so stupid that people will miss out on this stuff.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
well this was going to be the first game i get on the epic store, guess ill be waiting a year for the steam version

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who'd have thought that Epic balkanizing the PC platform with exclusivity would fuck customers over?

But it's just another launcher, right?

I was going to buy this a year later on Steam's release day but I don't like scummy shit like this. If I can wait a year, what's a bit longer? This game is in bundle or deep discount territory for me now.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

The fun part about these games is that each title combines with the previous one, with anything unlocked in Hitman 1 or 2 transferring over to Hitman 3 and vice versa. Doing this would split your save files and keep you from using all those hard-won suits and gadgets on the new levels.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
To my mind it's more the comms surrounding this than the actual impact. Putting this out a few days before release just isn't a great look.

True, it would have been nice if we had been told sooner, BUT perhaps they were still trying to make it work until the nth hour. That's kind of what their blog post implies.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, it would have been nice if we had been told sooner, BUT perhaps they were still trying to make it work until the nth hour. That's kind of what their blog post implies.
The issue is they got paid for exclusvitiy, promised something else and than went back on the promise. It's screwing your customers multiple times. That's what keeps happening with exclusivity on the egs store.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
No preload and have to buy Hitman 2 again? I'm confused why they didn't make it free like Hitman 1 access judging from their complicated FAQ

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, easily my most anticipated game and even I'm seriously thinking of waiting for the Steam release now.

How do you not communicate this sooner? It's obvious they wanted the pre-orders before they announced this.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the whole thing is crazy to me. 2 publishers dropped them after not meeting expectations and they're pulling this shit. no VR on PC, no purchase transfer. Fuck em.

Was the first game I love enough to finally buy on Epic and not anymore.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
OP is not strictly true: they are making all of Hitman 2's levels available as DLC - for 80% off
I think it was only like $20 at launch when they did it last time

So best case scenario it is around $4

Worst case is it's $12 (assuming they some for bizarre reason they charge $60 for it - which would be not normal)

They are including all of the Hitman 1 maps for everyone for the first 10 days, regardless of whether you have purchased previously or not.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
OP is not strictly true: they are making all of Hitman 2's levels available as DLC - for 80% off

Worst case is it's $12
I fully expect the Hitman 2 Gold pass to be $80 or $90, so that would make it $18-$20 to get all the levels after the 80% off sale.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

Worst case is it's $12

They are including all of the Hitman 1 maps for everyone for the first 10 days, regardless of whether you have purchased previously or not.
What part of the OP is not "strictly true"

I'm no math expert, but neither $4 nor $12 are equal to $0

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
The issue is they got paid for exclusvitiy, promised something else and than went back on the promise. It's screwing your customers multiple times. That's what keeps happening with exclusivity on the egs store.

How is that "screwing their customers multiple times"? The way you're phrasing it, you're making it sound like they knew all along they couldn't deliver on their promise, and I don't believe that's the case. They thought they could, then they couldn't. It happens.

To be clear again, I think they could do more to "make good" on this. Really, they should offer vouchers for a free copy of Hitman 2 on EGS to those who own the game on Steam.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
They lost a sale with this. I had no problem buying it on EGS, but this is unacceptable.

Waiting until Steam it is.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is far too late to be putting this info out.
It's not just that it's too late; IO literally confirmed on their website that players would be able to import their Steam progression of Hitman 2 into Hitman 3 on EGS.

As an independent studio, our partnership with Epic has given us the freedom to create HITMAN 3 exactly as we imagined and self-publish the game to our players directly. It's also important to us that we honour the time our existing PC players have spent in our previous games.

With that in mind, we are pleased to confirm that PC players will be able to carryover their current progression and unlocks from HITMAN 2 on Steam into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. It will also be possible for PC players to import locations from the previous two games into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. We want to make it a seamless process for our PC players to enjoy HITMAN 3 on a different PC platform and continue to enjoy the benefits of our World of Assassination.

Man, I feel so shitty for getting so many people to buy the game with my thread. What the fuck, man.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Almost seems like some agreements fell through... it's incredible that the Hitman IP always runs into these issues.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is that "screwing their customers multiple times"? The way you're phrasing it, you're making it sound like they knew all along they couldn't deliver on their promise, and I don't believe that's the case. They thought they could, then they couldn't. It happens.

To be clear again, I think they could do more to "make good" on this. Really, they should offer vouchers for a free copy of Hitman 2 on EGS to those who own the game on Steam.
They signed exclusivity with a shitty storefront which screws their customers, them going back on this promise is another screwing your customers. it's a poor look.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
Bluntly, I can't imagine it's impossible since they've got their Io accounts (which they'll be using for the save transfer). It'll be a situation where it should be possible to link a Steam account and an EGS account to the same Io account, and it should be possible to check if the Steam account has relevant Hitman purchases, and to grant relevant Access Passes to the EGS account.

Seems more believable to me than Epic shooting themselves in the foot.

That's likely last thing it could possibly be. Indie studios have figured it out. Gog does it all the time. It's seems pretty easy to do.

GOG hasn't done it in years.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

Worst case is it's $12 (assuming they some for bizarre reason they charge $60 for it - which would be not normal)

Hitman III is already $80 here, and a ridiculous $120 for the deluxe edition. Add an extra $15 here for Hitman 2, which i already own and you have yourself an old fashioned rip off.

Care to wait a month or so for sales on H3 and suddenly Hitman 1 dlc isnt free and H2 isnt on sale anymore.

Its fucking scummy.

smikey

Oct 25, 2017
Considering most people who pre-ordered Hitman 3 on Epic probably utilized one of the sales/coupons they have going almost all the time, this really doesn't seem like the biggest deal in the world. It sucks, but It sounds like the access pass will be like $5.
Hitman 3 on EGS hasn't been on sale, and the coupons didn't apply to a pre-order of it, believe me, I checked frequently

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Seems more believable to me than Epic shooting themselves in the foot.

GOG hasn't done it in years.
looks like the last gog connect was 8 months ago

anyway the fact that they did it for years, even years ago, still shows it's most likely not on steams end. why would they even give a shit

epic shoots themselves in the foot like every day are you paying attention?

Mish

Aug 9, 2019
I'll wait a couple of days to see if IO reacts about it, otherwise it's refund time.

Status
Not open for further replies.