• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This forum scared most Chinese people away, fuck, it even scared most people who lived in China from talking in this type of threads, I'm not sure it's a good thing.
Alright this one made me laugh. Yeah, no shit. I'd be scared too partaking in a thread saying FUCK THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT for fear of retaliation. Hell i'd be scared even associating with such folks.

It's been a well known long term tactic of the Chinese government now to unify them with it's people by making Xi Jinping (whoo looks like Winnie the Pooh) the state himself, and an attack on him is an attack on all and vice versa. That's super dangerous, and when monolithic ppopulations start to form where whether right or wrong, the people fall lock step in line and carry out the master's bidding. The same type of shit everyone on this forum actively speaks out against similar attempts by Trump, but has the right to do so.

So yeah, not surprised at all Chinese people were scared away. You are just completely misinterpreting the reasons.

Oh look, good example;

Uh, yeah, about that:

Xi Jinping Thought Explained: A New Ideology for a New Era

Everything about Chinese politics and culture has officially been put under the umbrella of the CCP party leader and has to adhere to his goals and ideals. Of course there is tons and tons of culture from hundreds, thousands of years but it's incredibly ignorant to act like the CCP isn't (re)defining what it means to be Chinese in the 21st century.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
when people say "Free Hong Kong" in this thread, what do they mean? Just curious if they understand what the people of HK are protesting for, or if they are just doing a knee jerk "FREEEEEEEDOOOOM" kinda chant with no actual context.
They're saying "fuck China" and doing exactly what the OP is warning against—associating the Chinese diaspora with the Chinese govenment.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
This is a racist generalization.
its a generaliztion yes but ones that are doing start fights abroad tend to be the more priveleged chinese students who dont have to really suffer under chinas govt. blame them for creating that image not me

A lot of posts in here have the same energy as #NotAllMen and #NotAllWhitePeople. OP is calling out a problem that some of the anti-CCP sentiment is bleeding into Sinophobia. If you aren't doing this, OP isn't talking about you. You don't need to shield posts like this:

We should be calling out shit like this when we see it.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, yeah, about that:

Everything about Chinese politics and culture has officially been put under the umbrella of the CCP party leader and has to adhere to his goals and ideals. Of course there is tons and tons of culture from hundreds, thousands of years but it's incredibly ignorant to act like the CCP isn't (re)defining what it means to be Chinese in the 21st century.
Do you think Chinese culture is limited to China?

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There used to be more people who lived in China in these threads, people were amazingly hostile to them, most of them don't show up anymore.
I don't know, maybe there is another reason.
You really can't figure out why people living in China wouldn't post on a forum that constantly criticizes Xi Jinping and the PRC? Really?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of posts in here have the same energy as #NotAllMen and #NotAllWhitePeople. OP is calling out a problem that some of the anti-CCP sentiment is bleeding into Sinophobia. If you aren't doing this, OP isn't talking about you. You don't need to shield posts like this:

We should be calling out shit like this when we see it.
No one is shielding anything. That poster is rightfully getting called out in this thread.

The issue is that this discussion is brought up frequently when discussing criticism towards the CCP and it's supporters. We have China committing genocide(you know one of the biggest fucking horrors of WW2?) with muslims being tortured, gutted and raped and so much other disgusting anti-choice bullshit from the CCP so it's a little shitty when such major atrocities are happening and people come into every thread to talk about a fear they have of something that MIGHT happen versus the real horrors happening RIGHT NOW.

Oct 25, 2017
they have ferraris. i bet they can afford a decent education in their own country
source.gif

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright this one made me laugh. Yeah, no shit. I'd be scared too partaking in a thread saying FUCK THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT for fear of retaliation. Hell i'd be scared even associating with such folks.

It's been a well known long term tactic of the Chinese government now to unify them with it's people by making Xi Jinping (whoo looks like Winnie the Pooh) the state himself, and an attack on him is an attack on all and vice versa. That's super dangerous, and when monolithic ppopulations start to form where whether right or wrong, the people fall lock step in line and carry out the master's bidding. The same type of shit everyone on this forum actively speaks out against similar attempts by Trump, but has the right to do so.

So yeah, not surprised at all Chinese people were scared away. You are just completely misinterpreting the reasons.
The good thing about refusing to engage with Chinese people is that you can keep believing such things and not having your assumption verified.

p.s.
You know it was Chinese people in mainland China who started the Winnie the Pooh memes, right?

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the chinese government and their supporters. These fuckers are killing innocents, invading and commiting ethnic cleansing and putting muslim people in cages as a farm to get organs. Fuck them all.
why not? i shit on the cartels that run large parts of mexico
Fuck that.

Having to face racism and all that because of what terrorists do and then have to denounce them as if they aren't the ones being hurt by them the most? Fuck all that.

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're trying to convey, it's just that the Ferrari bit was completely tasteless.

The good thing about refusing to engage with Chinese people is that you can keep believing such things and not having your assumption verified.

p.s.
You know it was Chinese people in mainland China who started the Winnie the Pooh memes, right?
I have full solidarity with Chinese people resisting the CCP however they can.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

p.s.
Yes well i don't need to hold regular discussions with the Chinese to know what their social engineering game is like when it comes to the government. And no shit about Pooh, but dear leader didnt like it and now its banned forever, god help the poor Chinese soul in China who utter its name.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
There was anti-China sentiment brewing in Canada long before this Hong Kong business. But even that I always interrupted as being targeted at the CCP and somewhat at the US for essentially putting us between two juggernauts not targeted at individual people. There are idiots out there though that part is fair.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
No one is shielding anything. That poster is rightfully getting called out in this thread.

The issue is that this discussion is brought up frequently when discussing criticism towards the CCP and it's supporters. We have China committing genocide(you know one of the biggest fucking horrors of WW2?) with muslims being tortured, gutted and raped and so much other disgusting anti-choice bullshit from the CCP so it's a little shitty when such major atrocities are happening and people come into every thread to talk about a fear they have of something that MIGHT happen versus the real horrors happening RIGHT NOW.

Pretty much, it comes across as disingenuous bullshit used to muddy the waters.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So what is your solution? Blame the average citizen for voting for Xi when the only real media available to him/her makes it clear that's the best choice?

I don't see putting blame on ~1.5 billion people as a reasonable or viable option.
That's fair. I want to emphasize that I'm in no way trying to say the Chinese people are bad or in any way responsible for what the government does. But it does need to be noted that Xi is extremely popular there.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah people here are surprisingly xenophobic towards China. It's fine to be critical of the government but don't forget there are a billion normal people living there.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A person can be self identify as Chinese without being from mainland China.
Come on, listen to what you're saying.

I misread his post as "my people" instead of "the people," so I edited, but my point was that you shouldn't be doing free PR for the PRC and CCP unless you are actually a citizen of the country.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think Chinese culture is limited to China?

No, but I believe it's ignorant to act like the CCP won't have significant influence on chinese culture while they have complete and utter control over every part of a society of 1.5 billion people and have officially announced their doctrine to shape that culture to be 100% in line with their party leader's goals and views.

That's fair. I want to emphasize that I'm in no way trying to say the Chinese people are bad or in any way responsible for what the government does. But it does need to be noted that Xi is extremely popular there.

Why do you want to note that if you don't want to say that the Chinese people are in any way responsible? What else does that argue for, then?

Of course he is popular in a country where he controls every single part of the media, culture, politics and general access to information.

They're saying "fuck China" and doing exactly what the OP is warning against—associating the Chinese diaspora with the Chinese govenment.

I think this is largely a rhetorical issue at this point since, at this point. "Fuck China" is clearly talking about the country China, which, at this point, is synonymous with the CCP and Li Xinping. I don't quite see how you could interpret "Fuck China" as "Fuck Chinese diaspora." or, in general "Fuck the Chinese".

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be safe my brothers & sisters. History has a way of repeating itself. Anti-Chinese sentiment is rapidly on the rise in the west possibly leading to another yellow peril 2.0. Wouldn't surprise me if we have another Vincent Chin case cause there some crazy motherfuckers out there. As someone who has family in both China & Hong Kong fuck those using my people to spread your blatant sinophobia cause let's be real, tons of people don't actually give a fuck about the people, and are just using the whole situation to push their anti-china agenda. This is less about the people and more about being bothered by China directly challenging the western hegemony. And lastly, don't ever let someone make you feel bad or shame you about your Chinese heritage. The CCP doesn't define our culture and if anyone has an issue with you being Chinese that's on them. Embrace your Chinese heritage just as you would embrace being American, Canadian, Australian etc. Peace skeet and love.

That's a yikes from me.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You really can't figure out why people living in China wouldn't post on a forum that constantly criticizes Xi Jinping and the PRC? Really?
It's really not that.
You think some English teachers in Shanghai are butthurt when people talk shit about Xi?
And the funny thing at least anecdotally, most expats aren't even guilty of holding the belief some people here accuse them of having, but some people are just hostile to any suggestion that there might be certain things that they don't fully get about that country.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, the OP is correct in that the diaspora from China don't deserve this occasion to justify inherent racism against Chinese people, but the CCP isn't suddenly at harsh odds with western ideologies and definitions of liberty, it's just that this is such a blatant and multifaceted shitshow that has brought day to day life to such an extreme display of horror under CCP action that there's not really a whole lot of room for tolerance.

and while there are folks that have followed this situation intently for MONTHS now, we've hit a fever because — surprise! — videogames ARE political and political action that the vast majority of westerners — surprise! — pay attention to politics just witnessed it occur right on their doorstep in one of the most self-implicating, self-humiliating way it could have gone down that really exposed the much larger cultural implications that we were always better off ignoring. Basically, the west just got reminded hard via a pro videogame player being banned that we fell almost entirely into the cookie jar a long time ago and are reeling flustered now that the consequences are, frankly, completely disallowing our business and cultural leaders to act in step with our cultural ideals. It's enragingly shameful.

That said, fuck the CCP, fuck anyone tied to the west's horrifying and shameful history of anti-Chinese racism using this as an opportunity to say I told you so, fuck our corporations falling into this mess and giving the CCP this much leverage to make a buck.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have nothing against the Chinese people or culture, I just hate the government. Anyone treating people bad just because of the country they came from suck.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have full solidarity with Chinese people resisting the CCP however they can.
Do you also care about Chinese people who are not willing to martyr themselves trying to regime change their country for you?
Because that's most of them.
Yes well i don't need to hold regular discussions with the Chinese to know what their social engineering game is like when it comes to the government. And no shit about Pooh, but dear leader didnt like it and now its banned forever, god help the poor Chinese soul in China who utter its name.
If you talked to Chinese people you would at least know that they're not afraid of making Winnie the Pooh jokes.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You know, only now do you start having Muslim Americans really talk about how humiliating it was for them to have to swear that they don't support terrorism and Sharia Law before they were allowed to open the mouth and talk about their country and culture.
Try not to find yourself in a Chinese Hasan Minhaj netflix special in 20 years.

Those two issues are only similar superficially. You'd have to ignore all the times a bad-faith actor was exposed on these forums when answering what they thought of the Uighurs and the very real presence of the 50 Cent Army. If anything I've seen threads of effusive praise for the people of China in the face of their government.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, yeah, about that:

Which is why Taiwan, Hong Kong and the diaspora should do want they can to not be defined in that way. CCP would love for the world to equate Chinese culture with their values, even aft

OP's assertion wasn't that racism against Chinese people exists (it very obviously does at some level), his assertion was that it was "rapidly on the rise" due to the people criticizing the Chinese government.

I didn't read it like that. It's 'rapidly on the rise', which will probably prove true, but didn't say it's due to the criticism. You can say then it'll be due to CCP's increasingly aggressive postures and actions, but then the question is whether that legitimises or enable actual racists. In the case of one of the diaspora suffering racism in their own country, do they then blame the racist or the CCP or both? In real life I have encountered racism and they mostly can't tell if you're from mainland China, Taiwan or Hong Kong and are the least likely to even know the difference.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not that.
You think some English teachers in Shanghai are butthurt when people talk shit about Xi?
And the funny thing at least anecdotally, most expats aren't even guilty of holding the belief some people here accuse them of having, but some people are just hostile to any suggestion that there might be certain things that they don't fully get about that country.
I don't really care what expats think since expats (usually white saviour types, who live in better conditions than the average Chinese person anyway) have nothing to do with this thread lol. It was obvious I was talking about Chinese people who live in China.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not that.

No one's denying that, but most of the threads criticizing the PRC and CCP are about shit like insane surveillance, organ harvesting, genocide, ridiculous power players, etc. that are all pretty objectively awful. No amount of "understanding Chinese citizen sentiment" or listening to what expat English teachers think is going to make any of those things look good.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I will continue to welcome mainland Chinese to Taiwan and helping them have a good time, but I will also continue telling them they are dumb as hell if they're spouting some CCP noise or any other Han-centric nonsense (three principles of the people, etc.). Just as I'd expect people to call me out if I was spouting some American nationalist crap.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
People shouting Free Hong Kong are really showing their ignorance, and lack any basic understanding of the actual issues Hong Kongers are fighting against, and the demands that the protesters have outlined. By all means, attack China for it's issues, but don't do it under the guise of supporting the HK protests.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
When I say Free Hong Kong, it's explicitly aimed at the Chinese government.

I will denounce them any chance I get. What's happening with the Uighur camps is a crime against humanity. What's happening to Hong Kong is an all out attack on the democracy and freedoms of those people.

Fuck the PRC. Fuck Donald Trump. FUCK FASCISM.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, it comes across as disingenuous bullshit used to muddy the waters.
It's the same discourse you'd find with some Israelis who defend their actions by decrying criticism as anti-Semitism, or some Indians trying to muddy up the waters with the situation in Kashmir. It's the one thing that threw the whole OP off for me.
Do you also care about Chinese people who are not willing to martyr themselves trying to regime change their country for you?
Because that's most of them.
I don't expect Chinese people to do shit for me. Back off with that nonsense. I literally said 'however they can'. I know many will never be able to because it'd mean life and death. I don't give a fuck if it's a single thought or action, I have solidarity with them. Shit is rough out there.
The situation isn't strange to someone like me, my country of origin had the same shit going on in the late 80s and it cost my family a lot.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
People shouting Free Hong Kong are really showing their ignorance, and lack any basic understanding of the actual issues Hong Kongers are fighting against, and the demands that the protesters have outlined. By all means, attack China for it's issues, but don't do it under the guise of supporting the HK protests.
I support the HK protests. Showing their ignorance? Fuck off, honestly.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
When I say Free Hong Kong, it's explicitly aimed at the Chinese government.

I will denounce them any chance I get. What's happening with the Uighur camps is a crime against humanity. What's happening to Hong Kong is an all out attack on the democracy and freedoms of those people.

Fuck the PRC. Fuck Donald Trump. FUCK FASCISM.
That's like going into a thread where a Muslim is afraid of Islamophobia and saying "fuck ISIS".

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there was a thread on Era a couple a days ago where people were advocating rounding up Chinese immigrants and naturalized citizens and sending them back to China if they were CCP sympathizers, without in regards to the fact that non-sympathizers would be treated the same right up until the deportation step.

A lot of people are saying they're not seeing it, but racism against Asians has always been a bit of an undercurrent in Era. It's hit a fever pitch, and in this instance, the OP is right, and there needs to be more awareness that a lot of people are getting away with saying a lot of things that are not fucking okay.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a convenient slogan meaning "democracy for the people." While a lot of people using it may just be doing it to support people who they believe are being oppressed by the PRC, there are obviously a lot of people who do understand what the fight is about, including actual Hong Kong protestors, who use the slogan.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That is a bold assumption. And I believe a very wrong one.

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has family in both China & Hong Kong fuck those using my people to spread your blatant sinophobia cause let's be real, tons of people don't actually give a fuck about the people, and are just using the whole situation to push their anti-china agenda

I didn't read it like that. It's 'rapidly on the rise', which will probably prove true, but didn't say it's due to the criticism.

Tell me how you can read that and say it isn't due to the criticism of the Chinese government.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately for Xi Taiwan exists, and as long as it does that will be a lie. Which makes me scared that sometime soon the CCP will decide to be done with the pretense and decide to invade/occupy Taiwan.

I do not see how that doesn't happen within the next couple of decades if not sooner. Hong Kong will be a test to see what they can get away with.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly what Xi Jinping and the PRC are trying to accomplish. Chinese is China. There is one China. Xi Jinping is China.
So your the solution to China trying to stake a claim on all of Chinese culture is to agree with them? Fuck off. I can assure you that they do not define Chinese culture as celebrated by the Chinese diaspora.

Status
Not open for further replies.