• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Keep telling yourself that bud. You got weirdos on this very forum advocating for a complete ban of Chinese international students. Fucking kids wanting a better education. But I guess they don't count as "people" to you? Whose to say y'all won't be advocating to ban ANY person of Chinese ethnicity regardless if they were born in the west.

a70tzvD.gif

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
What are your thoughts on the CCP's dystopian oppression of millions of Uighurs, to include organ harvesting?

Oct 25, 2017
Keep telling yourself that bud. You got weirdos on this very forum advocating for a complete ban of Chinese international students. Fucking kids wanting a better education. But I guess they don't count as "people" to you? Whose to say y'all won't be advocating to ban ANY person of Chinese ethnicity regardless if they were born in the west.
You got an example of this?

Oct 28, 2017

Show me examples or I'm going to assume this is a giant strawman.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The OP specifically calls out that the CCP doesn't define our heritage yet it's amazing how people like @Bleu jump in with accusations of "paid posting" and people like @Wazzy discount the difficulties we face.
Yeah, but the OP also wrote this:
This is less about the people and more about being bothered by China directly challenging the western hegemony.
So it's kinda moot what are they actually trying to say.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
The only dehumanizing going on is the CCP's dehumanization and genocide of the Uighurs.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the whole point of this thread is that people use the Chinese government as an excuse to unleash hate on Chinese people and culture, including the diaspora.

That is what I'm getting from the OP, which I sometimes feel. There are points worth discussing but I don't think posters jumping in and immediately calling OP a shill disproves his points.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
they have ferraris. i bet they can afford a decent education in their own country
When I grew up in Beijing, my family had jars of change lining the walls to save up for our one-way trip to the US. While my dad got his PhD, my mom worked illegally at a Chinese restaurant so that we could get by on a $20/week grocery budget. I couldn't afford a pencil sharpener so I used a kitchen knife.

Fuck off.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think about your country's human rights atrocities they are committing as we speak? I think most people here just take issue with that stuff.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show me examples or I'm going to assume this is a giant strawman.

The post he's referring to is this one where the poster lays out a case for why incentivizing wealthy Chinese students to study in China would be beneficial to both China and the US, but OP has disingenuously stripped it of context to make it sound like racists are advocating banning all Chinese people from the country.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I havent been paying attention, but for the most part, commentary here has been critical of the conduct of the Chinese government and its various agents. There have been a few posts that have definitely tried to suggest that the people as a whole would be as or more intolerant, but those voices are very few, and unfortunately conflating the practices of the government with those governed is a common fallacy among the ill-informed.

By all means, please be empowered by your heritage, your identity, your history and traditions. Own them and reflect on them - you who have first hand experience are most able to speak about your country's greatest strengths and weaknesses. But being unwilling to accept any criticism and identifying yourself as nothing more than an agent of the government of the day is unlikely to endear you to those around you who may not share your experience and opinions.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Being honest, I can see the OP's point (and some other points here on similar notes).

I just don't find it in me to believe this will turn out any other way.

CCP is not going to stop. Them not stopping means any anti-Chinese sentiment that starts developing (which isn't big now but could happen) is not going to stop. Period.

And mainlanders won't have any reason to stop either; they'll just cling tighter to the CCP, and things will escalate until CCP kills off all minorities in their country or a war breaks out because they overstep with some other country (unlikely considering how money hungry people are nowadays; this is not the 1940s and they are not expanding with military force).

So knowing all that, I just find it difficult to care. Even as an Asian in the US.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Some flippant responses here but there's truth to what the OP says. Some people, not all, can't separate anti-CCP sentiments from Sinophobia. You only need to step into an EGS thread to see that.

When I was going to school in South Carolina, kids would use any international provocation as an excuse to bully me. When there was a collision between a Chinese jet and American radar plane, kids beat me in the bathrooms and called me commie faggot and asked me if I could feel pain.

The OP specifically calls out that the CCP doesn't define our heritage yet it's amazing how people like Bleu jump in with accusations of "paid posting" and people like Wazzy discount the difficulties we face.
No one is denying the reality of racism towards chinese citizens. This does not mean that every single thread on China's abhorrent actions needs posters popping in to say that people are racist for being disgusted with the CCP and it's supporters. It's a blatant deflection to stop criticism of facism.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
My fiance is half Chinese, and his Chinese mother lives just 40 minutes north of us here in Texas. I am not concerned about words people post here on ResetEra, but I am worried about what some drunk heehaw boys might do.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sigh. People in the west do not hate the Chinese. They clearly love them and support them. They detest the fascist government.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Free Hong Kong. I seriously want to go there but I can't because of China
Why can't you go to Hong Kong?
Seriously, the protesters want more foreigners there, just go. It's an amazing city.
It's safe too, you don't have to go in the front line and throw down with the cops, and they are not gonna target tourists.

China seems to be the only issue that has united America in righteous condemnation

This probably won't end well for Chinese peoples
There's an old Vietnamese saying - when America starts to talk about human rights too much, it's time to upgrade your air defense system.

Oct 25, 2017
The post he's referring to is this one where the poster lays out a case for why incentivizing wealthy Chinese students to study in China would be beneficial to both China and the US, but OP has disingenuously stripped it of context to make it sound like racists are advocating banning all Chinese people from the country.

I do feel there's a bit of a problem with that post, as they seem to be asking for a ban of wealthy AND middle class students. Like wtf do they have to do with this shit?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
When I grew up in Beijing, my family had jars of change lining the walls to save up for our one-way trip to the US. While my dad got his PhD, my mom worked illegally at a Chinese restaurant so that we could get by on a $20/week grocery budget. I couldn't afford a pencil sharpener so I used a kitchen knife.

Fuck off.
these exchange student dicks who are making the news starting shit with other asians outside of china arent poor.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Hello, I have a great appreciation for the people and culture of China, and the current government of the landmass known as china is a piece of shit and needs to go away or stop

Free HK

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Okay? I meant the country you made this thread to support. The fuck is with the hostility
This very thread is about people conflating what the nation of China does with how they treat the diaspora. The OP does not mention supporting China, or any country at all. You're ironically doing exactly what he's afraid of.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're on Era, where half the threads in the OT are shitting on Trump, of white supremacy fame.

This thread feels like CCP astroturfing.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Nah that's just another way to obfuscate real concerns with what is going on. The Israeli government is doing the same thing. Our government (USA) is TRYING to do the same thing but too stupid to get it right. At least we get multiple chances to push back even when the other side is cheating and hasn't had a legit win for decades.

Calling people racist for calling out a government is starting to be a new tool for nationalists and said governments to control criticism. It's not working. Call me racists from the mountain tops, it isn't going to stop me for calling out government sanctioned atrocities from foreign governments or even my own.

OP
OP

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the "So CHina, what can be done" thread
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-china-what-can-be-done.146122/page-2

- A ban on Chinese students from international higher education. China's hyper-competitive, hyper-arduous education system is extremely well-documented. For a huge portion of those in the new middle class and rich, college acceptance was the difference between being a reasonably compensated white collar worker and going back to working in the fields and factories with their parents. Chinese schools are getting better, but they still don't have the educational infrastructure to meet their needs. Even if they did, there's something like 300,000 to 400,000 Chinese students studying abroad in the US alone. Dumping that number of students back into the Chinese system would light the middle class on fire.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just heated. My bad bro!
All good, I didn't mean any offense.
This very thread is about people conflating what the nation of China does with how they treat the diaspora. The OP does not mention supporting China, or any country at all. You're ironically doing exactly what he's afraid of.
Maybe you're right, but they are still assuming we're all a bunch of racist bastards simply because of a moral stance most here have taken. As others said it's basically like the anti-semite/Israel conflation.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I don't hate the Chinese people. I've travelled in China and Hong Kong. I have friends and business partners who both live in China and whose families immigrated to America and Canada. Chinese culture and the people are awesome.

But fuck the Chinese party and Xi and anyone supportive of their ethnic cleansing, mind control or anyone supporting dictatorships or attempting to censure free speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.