• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Everybody is different, and everybody's reaction or behavior to being the victim of a sexual assault is also different. There is no right or wrong way to act.
From the description of events there was an escalation in bad behavior that took place over a couple of years in which she would stay away from him for a while and then he would apologize and she would come back. It really doesn't sound that strange.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well send AB to prison. I can't do this I need his money bullshit.

I don't think you understand just how unlikely it is that someone will go to prison for sexual assault.

Out_Of_1000_SexualAssaults_053019.png

Of the sexual violence crimes not reported to police from 2005-2010, the victim gave the following reasons for not reporting:5

• 20% feared retaliation
  • 13% believed the police would not do anything to help
  • 13% believed it was a personal matter
  • 8% reported to a different official
  • 8% believed it was not important enough to report
  • 7% did not want to get the perpetrator in trouble
  • 2% believed the police could not do anything to help
  • 30% gave another reason, or did not cite one reason

There's a very good reason that most of these accusations are coming out through social media, and the #MeToo movement, and that is because the court systems continually fail victims. There are constant attacks on their character from all sides, and I would imagine that the victim in this case is receiving a lot of harassment just for speaking up at all.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
User banned (permanent): victim blaming, misrepresenting facts around sexual assault
I don't think you understand just how unlikely it is that someone will go to prison for sexual assault.

Out_Of_1000_SexualAssaults_053019.png

There's a very good reason that most of these accusations are coming out through social media, and the #MeToo movement, and that is because the court systems continually fail victims. There are constant attacks on their character from all sides, and I would imagine that the victim in this case is receiving a lot of harassment just for speaking up at all.

Women also you sex as a weapon to destroy good and bad men. I'd argue half of these women were liars. Men and Women are equally shitty people.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
On topic though it's bullshit that the Patriots are letting him take the field today. I honestly thought that even if the NFL decided that Brown wouldn't go on the exempt list that the Patriots would do the right thing and make him a healthy scratch and use his lack of familiarity with the offense as an excuse. At least until the NFL talked to the victim this week and had a better view of things.

But I obviously expected too much.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
On topic though it's bullshit that the Patriots are letting him take the field today. I honestly thought that even if the NFL decided that Brown wouldn't go on the exempt list that the Patriots would do the right thing and make him a healthy scratch and use his lack of familiarity with the offense as an excuse. At least until the NFL talked to the victim this week and had a better view of things.

It's especially egregious because the Dolphins are the worst team in the league. They don't need him at all for this game.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Gotta love LPC's inability to keep their mask from slipping. Anyways, on-topic, it's wild to think he doesn't even miss a game. There's a women out there who in all likelihood was the victim of rape, and this guy gets to play football in front of millions of people, and will probably even get a standing ovation from a shitload of fans. When we talk about how hard it is for women to come forward, especially in cases where the man has a lot of power, this is an example; she doesn't have millions of people tuning in to hear her story, or giving her an ovation for being brave enough to come forward.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's especially egregious because the Dolphins are the worst team in the league. They don't need him at all for this game.
Yeah i know. There is literally no reason for him to be on the field. This is just a huge middle finger to the #MeToo movement from the NFL in my opinion.

And whats worse is the guy already has a catch and you can see people lining up to cheer for him on social media despite everything that has happened this past week. One catch is apparently enough for Pat's fans to ignore such things. And that is pathetic.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, they obviously don't care. So it makes no real sense to keep him out and not give him game time experience in the system as soon as possible.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i know. There is literally no reason for him to be on the field. This is just a huge middle finger to the #MeToo movement from the NFL in my opinion.

And whats worse is the guy already has a catch and you can see people lining up to cheer for him on social media despite everything that has happened this past week. One catch is apparently enough for Pat's fans to ignore such things. And that is pathetic.

Why are you ignoring the pages of discussion where people tried to explain to you why not letting him play has huge ramifications? Like you are deliberately being obtuse and grandstanding when you have already shown you really don't care about it. The NFL is investigating, this matter is being brought to civil court, this matter is not being ignored. This doesn't set the MeToo movement back, only if you think the MeToo movement means everyone gets punished immediately, no regard for anything else which is what it isn't about.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One big issue with perception of sexual assault is that because serial assaulters are so common, and because when false claims occur, they are usually the only claim made, you end up with a situation where 1 false claim against one person and 19 real claims against another results in people seeing this as a 50/50 ratio, instead of a 5/95 ratio.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
One big issue with perception of sexual assault is that because serial assaulters are so common, and because when false claims occur, they are usually the only claim made, you end up with a situation where 1 false claim against one person and 19 real claims against another results in people seeing this as a 50/50 ratio, instead of a 5/95 ratio.
Lots of people are already looking for that justification to fit the narrative that men/accused, in fact, have it just as bad.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I think they would have a different response if this was a criminal case.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017

I understand the viewpoints here on ERA regarding this case, but I also support due process. This currently isn't a criminal matter, and there's too many lingering questions and unknowns with this story to just cut him from the team. I'd just wait for the league to make their decision after they meet with the victim tomorrow.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never forget that Peyton Manning put his balls on a female's face and got away scott-free.

The towel incident is weird sure but do I think this establishes AB as a rapist? No.
Rapist necessarily? No. But it established a precedent that he is inappropriate with women. It doesn't help his case that is for sure.

Hollywood Duo is right tho, its the NFL so who the fuck knows how they will respond.

Rapist necessarily? No. But it established a precedent that he is inappropriate with women. It doesn't help his case that is for sure.

Hollywood Duo is right tho, its the NFL so who the fuck knows how they will respond.

I think the fart story tells us everything we need to know about AB. Until the Taylor situation is finished I can't say if he is a monster or not, but I can say that it is very clear the dude is immature or just has no idea of how to act. Dude is extremely childish, whether he means to be or not.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I think the fart story tells us everything we need to know about AB. Until the Taylor situation is finished I can't say if he is a monster or not, but I can say that it is very clear the dude is immature or just has no idea of how to act. Dude is extremely childish, whether he means to be or not.

hes literally brain damaged, its obvious from every text message we've seen from him

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I don't remember hearing about any of this AB stuff until recently. Seems like as soon as he left Pittsburgh, the nature of how AB has been covered has completely changed. Now, obviously, his behavior in Oakland was ... insane ... and so that'll probably prompt more writers to write critically of him, as opposed to just lavishing praise on him as they did for ~6 years prior ... but like 3 domestic issues with his girlfriend going back several years, run ins with police in 2018, him stiffing personal trainers, chefs, and more to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars. These stories are all going back several years, but I don't remember any of them being widely reported or covered, at least, enough to change the tenor or the conversation around Brown.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I don't remember hearing about any of this AB stuff until recently. Seems like as soon as he left Pittsburgh, the nature of how AB has been covered has completely changed. Now, obviously, his behavior in Oakland was ... insane ... and so that'll probably prompt more writers to write critically of him, as opposed to just lavishing praise on him as they did for ~6 years prior ... but like 3 domestic issues with his girlfriend going back several years, run ins with police in 2018, him stiffing personal trainers, chefs, and more to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars. These stories are all going back several years, but I don't remember any of them being widely reported or covered, at least, enough to change the tenor or the conversation around Brown.
Winning cures all.

We did start to hear some things towards the end of his stint with the Steelers, and why? Because they've stopped winning.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Winning cures all.

We did start to hear some things towards the end of his stint with the Steelers, and why? Because they've stopped winning.
Works the opposite too.

If you win people focus on you more. Hence why you have articles written on the Patriots turmoil every year or some shit.

I think if you're a no name player you get off. If you're successful you get more attention... but I think for individual players people are willing to turn a blind eye if you are good.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Works the opposite too.

If you win people focus on you more. Hence why you have articles written on the Patriots turmoil every year or some shit.

I think if you're a no name player you get off. If you're successful you get more attention... but I think for individual players people are willing to turn a blind eye if you are good.
But the point I'm making is that it's far more likely for those things to come out if you're a superstar and losing, than if you were a superstar and winning.

And from the team's fans perspective, this is where it makes the most difference. Their own fans, and media base would be more willing to deal with just the on-field issues as long as they're winning. Once they start losing, or playing poorly, it must be something off field that's causing the poor play.

Even if those stories come out, fans will be more willingly to ignore them as long as they play well on the field. The outside media for other teams may not, but their fans would still be willing to support them, so the topic will be less approached and brought up by the fanbase, including the media outlets since that's not what their fans want to read about, and the story in the area will eventually just get muddled by all the positive pieces about the player or team, and everything is good.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the point I'm making is that it's far more likely for those things to come out if you're a superstar and losing, than if you were a superstar and winning.

And from the team's fans perspective, this is where it makes the most difference. Their own fans, and media base would be more willing to deal with just the on-field issues as long as they're winning. Once they start losing, or playing poorly, it must be something off field that's causing the poor play.

Even if those stories come out, fans will be more willingly to ignore them as long as they play well on the field. The outside media for other teams may not, but their fans would still be willing to support them, so the topic will be less approached and brought up by the fanbase, including the media outlets since that's not what their fans want to read about, and the story in the area will eventually just get muddled by all the positive pieces about the player or team, and everything is good.

Yeah I can see that. People were already turning on Ab when he was a steeler. A lot blamed Tomlin for not being able to control a Diva WR.

I can't speak for ALL patriots fans, but all my friends, and the pats fans on this forum, would have no issue with AB getting cut if the allegations are credible.

I can't say the same if the allegations were brought up against Brady or Belichick but no one really feels attached to AB. And our WR corps doesn't need him.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO

Cowherd has talked on multiple times about how a mutual friend he has with Tomlin asked Tomlin about AB and basically the response was you have no idea and insinuated they were good at covering stuff up.

Def. makes sense now.

Kounce

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019

The machine is done covering for him, now it's open season. We see this play out all the time. Dudes go wild, but are "off limits" until they reach "expiration," then all these crazy stories flood in and we're all shocked at how unaware we were.

Edit: At the end of the day, we know very little about any of these athletes. Watch their talents on display and call it a day, who knows what's lurking, best to just be entertained and leave it at that.