• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
New reports saying the pats didn't know. Of that's actually true I bet he's released by tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
ty! will read.

sorry, it occurs to me I could have probably googled it.

In this case, AB wouldn't be allowed to play any games while the NFL investigates. I can't remember off the top of my head if he would be allowed to practice with the team though.
fascinating.

edit:

------

The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List.

Under the NFL's personal conduct policy, Brown could face a six-game suspension, depending on the outcome of the investigation into these allegations.

From the personal conduct policy:

Violations involving assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault will result in a baseline six-game suspension without pay, with more if aggravating factors are present, such as the use of a weapon or a crime against a child. A second offense will result in banishment from the NFL.

------

It doesn't expressly say it but I'm assuming this means he can practice with the team but cannot be included on the team's active roster for a real game. Until such a time where the Commissioner sees fit to release a player from this exemption list, which may be not until the investigation is complete. Which, given how long court proceedings take, could be next year, no?

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not sure the Demaryius Thomas trade is official yet. I think it would be official tomorrow.

Patriot's statement

Possibly, but give what happened with Zeke's allegations and how the NFL responded to that, I wouldn't be entirely sure that he'll be cut immediately.

From the wording of their statement, doesn't seem like they will be cutting him as fast as I thought. Definitely sounds like they are taking a wait and see approach. Why else not come out and just cut him straight away? However, it would be really hypocritical of Kraft to pull the trigger so quick, especially after his incident.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

So they will wait and see what the league investigation turns up.

Is there any reason to believe a league investigation would happen faster than the court proceeding?

Possibly, but give what happened with Zeke's allegations and how the NFL responded to that, I wouldn't be entirely sure that he'll be cut immediately.
Zeke had already established himself as a essential piece of the Cowboy's future. AB just got to NE yesterday. NE has no attachment to him other than their freshly inked contract.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
"We take them so seriously we will allow the NFL, an organization that has always been at the forefront of acting in the best interests of women, to investigate and make a determination." /s

Greecian

Oct 27, 2017

Is there any reason to believe a league investigation would happen faster than the court proceeding?

Zeke had already established himself as a essential piece of the Cowboy's future. AB just got to NE yesterday.
Court cases take fucking forever sometimes

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I remember seeing him on The Shop and feeling something was off with him while he went on his, "I'm simply misunderstood and Ben is trash!" Rant. Ben is indeed a trash rapist and avid Trumper, and as we found out recently might not even be good at QBing anymore but that's for another thread.

Brown ranting

Doubt it, the NFL are going to conduct an investigation with the express intent of clearing him and find nothing valid about the claims because that is their desired outcome.

I would be shocked if the Pats don't cut him tomorrow. Writing is on the wall. Gonna be hard for the league to simply cover this one up.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Zeke had already established himself as a essential piece of the Cowboy's future. AB just got to NE yesterday.

Only way a league investigation would happen faster is if there was evidence such as a video. And that would have to be made public. The NFL covers up all kinds of shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Court cases take fucking forever sometimes
Yea. Trials can be several months in the making. Does the league move faster to form their own internal conclusions?

I'm just not sure what a "league investigation" is or means, or what would lead them to one decision vs another barring some sort of irrefutable evidence?

Only way a league investigation would happen faster is if there was evidence such as a video. And that would have to be made public. The NFL covers up all kinds of shit.
Yea that's what I was thinking. It wouldn't even be a cover-up here; the documents we've seen so far neither affirm nor deny the claims of the woman bringing the lawsuit. They are simply not conclusive. That would probably be enough for the NFL to let him play if NE wants to keep him.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017

This is what the Dean of Massachusetts School of Law Michael Coyne has to say about it. Civil suits can take 18 months to 3 years to resolve.

Pats are going to ride this out, and let the league investigate. League will most likely not find enough evidence to do anything, and he plays out the season. Just my guess on what's going to go down.

Greecian

Oct 27, 2017
Yea. Trials can be several months in the making. Does the league move faster to form their own internal conclusions?

I'm just not sure what a "league investigation" is or means, or what would lead them to one decision vs another barring some sort of irrefutable evidence?
I'm right there with you. I have no fucking clue what type of "investigating" the NFL does

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Zeke had already established himself as a essential piece of the Cowboy's future. AB just got to NE yesterday. NE has no attachment to him other than their freshly inked contract.

He literally just led the NFL in receiving TDs last year.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Does the owner of the Patriots Robert Kraft usually speak publicly about these kinds of issues?
I think the statement in the tweet above is about all the statement you're going to get out of Patriots leadership for the foreseeable future.

He literally just led the NFL in receiving TDs last year.
Not for New England he didn't. That's my point: he has no legacy in NE and they have no obligation to stand by him as a result. If this were Pittsburgh AB that would be different. New England doesn't owe him a damn thing.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

The league has its own private investigators and means of uncovering (or covering up) these things.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
While all accusations like this deserve to be take seriously, there a whiff of...something off about this case. Especially given the timing of all of this. I think people should refrain from calling to basically end his career without first letting substantial evidence be presented first. Screenshots of emails and texts isn't substantial evidence btw.

Sadly, he's probably going to be cut anyway once this hits the news cycle tomorrow.
What is off about the timing?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also worth noting that Zeke's investigation took about a year to conduct although he was never suspended immediately following the allegations, which happened in 2016. The NFL didnt suspend him until August 2017

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The league has its own private investigators and means of uncovering (or covering up) these things.
I see. So we're talking (1) an interview with the alleged victim if she's willing, (2) a non-negotiable interview with Brown, and (3) any documents that her legal team and his legal team is willing to share.

After which some sort of dark magic happens, then out comes a decision? More or less?

It's also worth noting that Zeke's investigation took about a year to conduct although he was never suspended immediately following the allegations, which happened in 2016. The NFL didnt suspend him until August 2017
Ah. So this is likely to not be a swift process either barring some sort of clear evidence one way or the other.

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think the Pats will release him yet, based on what's out there. They obviously will if any of it is found to be true, but from what we know...well...we don't really know anything, haha. But I don't think they'll cut him at this point, and frankly, I don't think they should. It seems like there's a lot to this story.

Pats cut Hernandez when news quickly came out that he was about to be arrested. We'll just have to see what comes out of the investigation. But it'll be interesting to see if the league takes any action while the investigation is underway. He's gonna be treated horribly in visitors' stadiums in the meantime.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Wishing injury on an athlete.
Dudes gonna play Sunday, book it.

Time for Miami to do gods work and end this fucker and send him to same hospital that assblood hill went to

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, even if something seems "on-its-face" suspicious, I don't think it does the public discourse any good by loudly proclaiming it. You're not in a position to investigate the suspicion further, nor charged with the task. So I think you should prioritize challenging rape culture. By reacting to this (or any) situation with suspicion around the timing of the allegations doesn't contribute to building a culture where survivors feel comfortable to report their assaults.

Basically, even if you think its weird, you're probably better off just keeping it to yourself and waiting for more information.

Since I can't tell the difference between malicious dipshits trying to muddy a conversation with 'just asking questions' and people who don't understand how stacked against victims the system is and ask the always always always same question out of sheer ignorance, I don't owe any of that noise the benefit of the doubt.

I don't disagree with either of these statements just adding discussion while waiting to hear more. I don't personally find the timing suspicious bit to each their own I guess

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
This is what the Dean of Massachusetts School of Law Michael Coyne has to say about it. Civil suits can take 18 months to 3 years to resolve.

Pats are going to ride this out, and let the league investigate. League will most likely not find enough evidence to do anything, and he plays out the season. Just my guess on what's going to go down.

Sounds about right. The email he sent isn't proof of anything, so she's going to need more.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I see. So we're talking (1) an interview with the alleged victim if she's willing, (2) a non-negotiable interview with Brown, and (3) any documents that her legal team and his legal team is willing to share.

After which some sort of dark magic happens, then out comes a decision? More or less?

Since an NFL investigation is also not a legal case, there is also no standard for what NFL considers enough proof. The commissioner basically has absolute authority to decide what he wants. There could be overwhelming evidence that something happened and the commissioner can choose to do nothing. Or there could be little evidence and he can suspend AB anyway. It's a crapshoot.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Well that letter is certainly the opposite of her accusations. Will be interesting who has receipts in this case for how wildly different the stories are. Consensual sex statement always makes me side eye the accused though. She was your trainer and you invested in some kind of business as well ... why get involved at all

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Interesting. Thanks for posting. That's good insight right there.

Since an NFL investigation is also not a legal case, there is also no standard for what NFL considers enough proof. The commissioner basically has absolute authority to decide what he wants. There could be overwhelming evidence that something happened and the commissioner can choose to do nothing. Or there could be little evidence and he can suspend AB anyway. It's a crapshoot.
I see. Yea the gentlemen in the video was talking about that with the Big Ben situation.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see what happens.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NFL really doesn't have any obligation to release details of their investigation. If players feel wronged by it they can challenge it (Zeke literally took them to court over his suspension).

It's a civil suit, so if it gets far enough that its get to discovery and all the texts and emails come out, we'll find out anyways. But it'll be through court proceedings not an NFL press statement.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
He needs to go to court so I can see a legal translation of what the fuck those texts mean in English.