• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
After watching about 7 hours of YouTube concerning Kobe, I'm truly convinced Jerry West seems like the logically person to give out a speech in honor of Kobe making the hall of fame.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Was watching the 60 point game highlights again and comments mentioned he got subbed out at 4.1 seconds left on top of Trey Lyles on the Jazz taking the last shot, who wore 41. Kobe was 41 when he passed... insane coincidences. :(

Regardless of that, those last couple shots in the game hit hard just watching again, especially when they pan to Vanessa, Natalia and Gianna. ;__;

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I'm honestly numb and shocked still. Grew up with Jordan and the Bulls 2 three-peats and the Kobe and Shaquille Lakers Threepeat. Specially enjoyed the semifinals with the Kings in 2002. To me he is Basketball.
A very sad tragedy for his family and my heart breaks for them and all the others that died in the accident.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Starting to look a like poor judgement by the pilot was responsible. Was apparently very foggy, and while the pilot was rated for instrument flying, probably should not have continued the flight. NYT says he was a flight instructor with a good safety record, but it only takes one mistake.

It turned out that the pilot, Ara Zobayan, who had held a commercial license since 2007, had not obtained a clearance to fly under instrument flight rules, which would have allowed him to navigate with the use of his instruments, officials said.

The special clearance from air traffic controllers allowed the pilot to fly through the controlled airspace around Burbank and Van Nuys, but it did not give him "blanket clearance" to continue on, an F.A.A. official said.

This confuses me a bit. Even if he didn't request the proper clearance wouldn't he still be able to navigate per instruments?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
This confuses me a bit. Even if he didn't request the proper clearance wouldn't he still be able to navigate per instruments?

He had the skill, but you still need to obtain clearance to transition from visual flight, to instrument flight so air traffic control knows what's going on.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Looking like he lost track of the highway he was supposed to visibly follow, and came down to try to see below the fog. However, pilot didn't realize how off course he went and hit the hill.

The impact was at 1080 feet, 500 feet lower than what the Pilot stated he was hovering at before they started to move.

The pilot's sudden stoppage of communication upon transfer seems peculiar tho, as they were in constant communication with the towers just before.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
On my drive into the office in Metro Detroit a few of the electronic billboards on 75 had a memorial for Kobe on them.

Read Legend in Laker colors and font with his picture.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching the 60 point game highlights again and comments mentioned he got subbed out at 4.1 seconds left on top of Trey Lyles on the Jazz taking the last shot, who wore 41. Kobe was 41 when he passed... insane coincidences. :(

Regardless of that, those last couple shots in the game hit hard just watching again, especially when they pan to Vanessa, Natalia and Gianna. ;__;

he still gave it his all and willed his team to win a season game, just crazy amounts of determination which defined his career

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
For about 3 years when someone passed I respected I did a tribute illustration of them. It was a way for me to showcase my particular knack for doing stylized illustrated portraits and also try to stay timely and topical in the social media landscape.

About 8 months ago I just stopped doing it completely. Even though I had gotten a few paying gigs and even some love by Adobe for my illustrations, I just got tired of doing them. I had my reasons which I will not bother sharing, but I literally just stopped doing them cold.

I share the above as a tribute to Kobe in addition to the illustration I have done. This tragic news made me "come out of retirement" so to speak. When I say I had no choice but to do a tribute illustration of my man, I do sincerely mean that. I was compelled. I'm being 100% when I say I'm not sure if and when I'll do another for anyone else. But me being such a huge basketball fan, even as a lifelong Knicks fan, my respect and love for KOBE is and always will be absolutely immense. And this tragedy just truly hit me hard.

So with all of that said, here is my tribute illustration of Kobe. Tried to pick an reference photo that I thought was fitting and showed him not as an athlete, but as a fellow human bein

RIP KOBE and the 9 others who lost their lives earlier today.

That's beautiful. Both the art and the sentiment behind it. Thanks for sharing.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
he still gave it his all and willed his team to win a season game, just crazy amounts of determination which defined his career
I think it was on Undisputed yesterday where Skip Bayless mentioned in his first year he had those air balls in the Utah playoff series and it went full circle with him dropping 60 in his last game against Utah.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Starting to look a like poor judgement by the pilot was responsible. Was apparently very foggy, and while the pilot was rated for instrument flying, probably should not have continued the flight. NYT says he was a flight instructor with a good safety record, but it only takes one mistake.

Yeah, I'm reminded of this incident several years ago around my old stomping grounds in Illinois suburbs that had an accident case study video made for it:

Different plane and scenario (the pilot in this accident was clearly not qualified unlike the helicopter pilot), but the lesson is clearly told at the end there: the decision to even fly in the first place is often the genesis of the problems. Experience, bad weather, disorientation all matter but the first link in the chain is down to the human psychology of wanting to get from point A to point B no matter what.

If they make one about this helicopter in a few years, I bet it would come to similar conclusions. Accidents happen, this one didn't need to.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
That's beautiful. Both the art and the sentiment behind it. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks to you (and the handful of other members who I am too lazy to find right now that also replied the day I posted it) for the kind words. As I said, it was not even a choice.

It really humbles me to know someone was moved, even if it was just for a mere second, by something I chose to create of someone who moved me. It is quite literally why I do it at all.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder why the pilot didn't at least decrease speed considerably if he wasn't sure where he was or what was in front of him. Also wonder why he didn't increase altitude enough to avoid any accident in case they were too close to a hill.

I mean, they hit the mountain at 185 mph going by some reports. Is that correct?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
kobe always destroyed my raptors, every fucking time lol. i'm not even talking about 81. he went into super duper clutch mode when he faced us every single time.

i'm not even exaggerating... and there's more. he tormented no team more. and i'll never forget it.

Last edited:

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

I saw at least 2 Raptors games in person and it was the same with the Kings where there was this palpable dread that started to creep into everyone when they were up 510 points going into the final minutes of the 4th quarter cause everyone just knew he fed off those circumstances.

I remember watching the game where he baits Gray to come out early and thinking he was a true master of the game. He knew everyone was terrified of him taking another shot so he just waited for the lane to clear to run up an uncontested dunk. When you are so good you can start to predict other players reactions to you based on fear its a whole other level.

Hayward says its not true:

It seemed so deliberate though, Kobe hadn't even started to bring his hands forward for the shot and he is already standing in the lane.
Actually I don't believe him. I think he did do that on purpose. Guys cross the lane all the time but way later when the ball leaves the fingers but he crosses before Kobe even starts to shoot forward. I might be reading to into this but I believe he is saying its not true to make sure a narrative doesn't develop that anybody was trying to make that game easy on Kobe and every point he made was earned.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wonder why the pilot didn't at least decrease speed considerably if he wasn't sure where he was or what was in front of him. Also wonder why he didn't increase altitude enough to avoid any accident in case they were too close to a hill.

I mean, they hit the mountain at 185 mph going by some reports. Is that correct?

No one knows anything really until the NTSB finalizes their report.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
It seemed so deliberate though, Kobe hadn't even started to bring his hands forward for the shot and he is already standing in the lane.
Actually I don't believe him. I think he did do that on purpose. Guys cross the lane all the time but way later when the ball leaves the fingers but he crosses before Kobe even starts to shoot forward. I might be reading to into this but I believe he is saying its not true to make sure a narrative doesn't develop that anybody was trying to make that game easy on Kobe and every point he made was earned.

yeah, its a real 'then what were you doing?' kinda thing. lol.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw at least 2 Raptors games in person and it was the same with the Kings where there was this palpable dread that started to creep into everyone when they were up 510 points going into the final minutes of the 4th quarter cause everyone just knew he fed off those circumstances.

I remember watching the game where he baits Gray to come out early and thinking he was a true master of the game. He knew everyone was terrified of him taking another shot so he just waited for the lane to clear to run up an uncontested dunk. When you are so good you can start to predict other players reactions to you based on fear its a whole other level.

Yeah. Lets be honest, if he missed and they gave him another freebie because of Hayward, Kobe would've gotten in his face and called him soft lol.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
kobe always destroyed my raptors, every fucking time lol. i'm not even talking about 81. he went into super duper clutch mode when he faced us every single time.

i'm not even exaggerating... and there's more. he tormented no team more. and i'll never forget it.

That 2012-2013 season when Kobe basically single-handily carried the Lakers to the playoffs before he tore his Achilles was something special. The biggest regret as a fan is him getting injured and not being able to play through the playoffs. That was the last chance we ever had of seeing Kobe vs LeBron in the Finals and sad it never happened.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Honestly I'm still a wreck about all of this, and I wasn't even watching basketball at the height of Kobe's career. Living in Los Angeles now, it all feels a bit too real, and knowing that someone that loved being a father as much as him and knowing that his daughter is never going to grow up and experience life just crushes me.

If there is any silver lining in any of this, it's that a death as big as Kobe's brings everyone together, and for the first time in awhile I feel the entire world took a minute to stop fighting to come together and appreciate the life we have at this moment.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One thing that doesn't make much sense to me that I'm still trying to understand is how the pilot could ascend above the clouds and then rapidly descend into the ground at that speed. Why would he fly down so quickly?