• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Just heard the black box audio, seems that the crash was entirely abrupt. The dense fog conditions + the loss of radar/comms makes me think that they didn't even see it coming.
Tragedy is tragedy but, assuming that's the case, I'd find comfort knowing that they possibly didn't see it and it ended quick, as opposed to expecting to go down and fearing for your life.

You heard the Audio transmissions between the helicopter and the ATC, not the black box audio.

Just an FYI

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
At work in the bathroom damn near in tears over this and been feeling depressed since yesterday. Still doesn't feel real. This one hurts.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
That audio is pretty enlightening. Seems to start after the pilot has already decided to turn back and then he's handed from one controller to another and then finally to another who can't communicate with the pilot because the helicopter is too low and presumably the hills are blocking communication to that particular tower. Given the short amount of time between the final handoff, I doubt the story of the person on the ground is accurate. There's no time to climb and then descend quickly and the tower would have picked up on that climb. Looks like after the final handoff the pilot makes a final turn but is way too low and crashes directly into a hill, which would coincide with the experts saying the helicopter disintegrated on impact at nearly 180+ mph as it hit the hill. Tragic, but avoidable because they should not have been flying in those conditions. Unfortunately they realized it mid-flight.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Man, just like loads of y'all this doesn't feel real yet. Much love and condolences to all the families affected in the crash. Gonna rock my Kobe's this week.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My buddy is a big Kobe fan and we definitely took a bottle down throughout the day just talking about his best moments as a laker. Still feels weird.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like helicopters are absolutely notorious for killing people. I wonder if there are stats comparing accidents between they and other aircraft. Sad story.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Reading more about the crash looks like this could have been prevented because of how foggy it was. That is what it makes it so tragic.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Shit still feels like it isn't real. Don't deal with a lot of deaths to some of my favorite sports figures but I did follow wrestling and those guys unfortunately don't generally live long lives. I remember Eddie dying and it hurting me big. But it hit me harder some time later because I just realized that yeah I'll never see him perform again.

I guess it's different since Kobe did retire but he was so active that he was gonna be everywhere.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
The pilot who died has a special license to fly in fog. I wonder if the original pilot did not have such a license.
There's no special license to fly in fog, you are either instrument-rated, or you fly VFR or request Special VFR from the control tower.

Special VFR Clearance is an ATC authorization for a VFR aircraft to operate in weather that is less than the basic VFR minima. Basic VFR minima are 1,000-foot ceiling and 3 miles visibility. If the reported weather is less, a pilot can request a Special VFR Clearance

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Didn't seem real when I heard the new yesterday. I had just seen him congratulating LeBron the night before and now this. So so sad for everyone in that crash.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Hurts even more than 2 other children and 3 other parents died here too.

When 2pac died the rap game literally changed forever the actual sound of music and a lot of the beefing changed forever.
When 2Pac and Biggie died, you mean. Yes. 90s rap fans know this feeling.

FYI, DJ Wonder's doing a Kobe tribute on Shade45.
what is Shade45?

There's no special license to fly in fog, you are either instrument-rated, or you fly VFR or request Special VFR from the control tower.

Special VFR Clearance is an ATC authorization for a VFR aircraft to operate in weather that is less than the basic VFR minima. Basic VFR minima are 1,000-foot ceiling and 3 miles visibility. If the reported weather is less, a pilot can request a Special VFR Clearance
Thanks for the insight. What kind of aircraft do you fly? (I'm assuming you probably fly)

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I dont really listen to big boy on Real 92.3 but I tuned in since I know hes huge on Kobe and it's really hard, hes sobbing sharing his last encounter with Kobe recently.
I need to stop or I'll cry at work.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
There's such a giant hole in the game of basketball right now

This is something I'm not sure I'll ever get over. Kobe was Superman to alot of people growing up, and the fact that we will not be able to see him grow old and be able to bask in his accomplishments like Bill Russell, Kareem etc... doesn't sit right with me at all.

and the fact that his daughter Gigi was with him too... man... I can't imagine the amount of pain that all of these families are going through.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't believe the news yesterday man, all those families, may they rest in peace. The man was an icon and sports hero to many and it's extremely sad his daughter will never be able to live out her dreams.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Are helicopters equipped with those ground proximity warning systems? like the 'woop woop' noise?
Many helicopters are equipped with TAWS (Terrain Awareness Warning System). Given the cost of the helicopter in question, I highly doubt it wouldn't have it. Having flown copters in the military, I would never go near one now. They're death traps regardless of the safety systems.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
As a father I am gutted imagining how it would feel knowing what was happening to my daughter. RIP to a legend, to Gianna and to all the other passengers and crew. Peace to their families.

The millionaire's only natural predator is the helicopter. They are dangerous as hell and it's obscene how many people that are living at the height of privilege have their lives cut short by chopper crashes. Take a plane, take a car, take a train. Helicopters are for cops and soldiers.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Justin Bailey

The stats are tracked fairly closely because nearly every aircraft is insured, and if you want to try and price the insurance then you need a rough idea of how likely it is to crash and how much it might cost.

I did some quick googling but could only find stats up to 2014. On average, for small fixed wing planes, there were 0.25 fatal accidents per 100,000 hours flown, whereas for helicopters it was around 0.5 fatal accidents per 100,000 hours flown.

It's also worth noting that the "dangerousness" of accidents are quite different. Roughly 1 in 6 fixed wing accidents were fatal whereas roughly 1 in 2 helicopter accidents were fatal.

Stats can only ever be stats but about as close/useful you can get to some of the questions in the thread. Was eyeballing the charts from the study below:-

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
As a father I am gutted imagining how it would feel knowing what was happening to my daughter.
If they impacted the hillside at the speeds being speculated, there would have been no time to know or fear anything. At 100+ MPH, they never saw it coming. Figuratively and literally.

Justin Bailey

The stats are tracked fairly closely because nearly every aircraft is insured, and if you want to try and price the insurance then you need a rough idea of how likely it is to crash and how much it might cost.

I did some quick googling but could only find stats up to 2014. On average, for small fixed wing planes, there were 0.25 fatal accidents per 100,000 hours flown, whereas for helicopters it was around 0.5 fatal accidents per 100,000 hours flown.

It's also worth noting that the "dangerousness" of accidents are quite different. Roughly 1 in 6 fixed wing accidents were fatal whereas roughly 1 in 2 helicopter accidents were fatal.

Stats can only ever be stats but about as close/useful you can get to some of the questions in the thread. Was eyeballing the charts from the study below:-

Thanks for digging. Seems to confirm our conjecture: While generally safe, Helicopters are significantly more dangerous than planes and in the event of a crash, you are far more likely to die in a heli than a plane.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Heard about this yesterday as I was flying back to Ontario after visiting relatives, I was absolutely shocked.

What an incredibly sad tragedy.