• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just heard the black box audio, seems that the crash was entirely abrupt. The dense fog conditions + the loss of radar/comms makes me think that they didn't even see it coming.
Tragedy is tragedy but, assuming that's the case, I'd find comfort knowing that they possibly didn't see it and it ended quick, as opposed to expecting to go down and fearing for your life.
It's been released?

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You just have to wonder why the pilot thought it was a good idea to fly if the fog was such a problem. If I had to guess I'd think that maybe since the flight was so short he thought he could make it?

That's the main thing I can't get over. Someone said earlier in this thread that the place they were going was only minutes away by car. Wish we could just rewind time and tell them not to fly and just drive instead. 😔

Dunno how true this might be but it seems plausible.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to process these news and I still can't quite believe it. I mean, I'm obviously saddened by all involved, particularly the young girls, but being more impacted by Kobe Bryant's death is natural and it makes the event a bit more surreal.

Still, I'm so heartbroken for those two girls who were only beginning to live. RIP to all who perished and may the families find the strength they need to get through this tragedy.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck sake, RIP :( . Never see me getting into a helicopter. At least planes can glide somewhat if something goes wrong with the engines, helicopters are just death traps waiting to happen.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
You just have to wonder why the pilot thought it was a good idea to fly if the fog was such a problem. If I had to guess I'd think that maybe since the flight was so short he thought he could make it?

That's the main thing I can't get over. Someone said earlier in this thread that the place they were going was only minutes away by car. Wish we could just rewind time and tell them not to fly and just drive instead. 😔

You need to not think like that, with ifs and buts, you'll drive yourself crazy over something you and everyone else was/is powerless to control.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
This is still a struggle to even comprehend. I'm British and the only one in my office who watches the NBA, and I wasn't even surprised when all of my co-workers mentioned it and were shocked too. Everyone here has heard of Kobe, similar to LeBron and MJ.

It's just so sad.

Oct 25, 2017
It still doesn't seem real. I've been crying all day yesterday and today I wake up still shaking. It just doesn't seem real...it's just not. I'm torn

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Absolutely shocking, sports stars always feel like their immortal so when one dies suddenly it's heartbreaking. His loss reminds me of when Colin McRae died which was also a helicopter crash, an icon of my childhood and love of rallying gone just like that.

I somehow forgot or didn't know he died. Awful. I didn't realize the Dirt series was the successor to the original CMRally games.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck sake, RIP :( . Never see me getting into a helicopter. At least planes can glide somewhat if something goes wrong with the engines, helicopters are just death traps waiting to happen.
Helicopters actually glide too, it's a complete misconception that they are more dangerous than planes for this reason. It's called autorotation, you angle the helicopter so the air presses against the rotors and forces it to spin without engine power, every helicopter pilot is trained how to land this way in case of emergency.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Helicopters actually glide too, it's a complete misconception that they are more dangerous than planes for this reason. It's called autorotation, you angle the helicopter so the air passing through the blades forces it to spin, every helicopter pilot is trained how to land this way in case of emergency.

Well damn I didn't know that, thanks. Consider me corrected.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Was in shock yesterday.... and today, pissed off that this happened......Tuesday should get better.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Waking up this morning, catching up on this thread, it hurts still.

I wish they'd never gotten on that helicopter in those conditions. But there's nothing we can do about it and it fucking hurts.

One of my fondest Kobe watching memories was when he balled out in his final Lakers game with 60 points against the Jazz

I guess all we can do is remember our greatest moments watching him.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Off-topic commentary in a sensitive thread.
Its great that, as a black man, something from decades ago you were acquitted of will be brought up for the rest of your life and after you're gone too. Even if you die holding your daughter in your arms in a fiery tragic accident.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
My daughter woke me up, and said Kobe had an accident, he is dead and all of them. I said wait what show me your ipad.
She said can't we not fly next week.I had to explain to her that accidents happen no matter your mode of transportation.
What hit the most is picturing me and my daughter in the same situation. All I can come up with is I love you, come closer, I love you, look at me, I love you, don't be scared, I'm with you. I love you.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think I need to take a break from this thread.

It is too distracting.

Kobe was a sports hero to me growing up. I am a year older than him so he started his career when I was in college and I pretty much saw the whole thing. Even though I live on the East coast it was a regular thing for me to stay up to 1am watching Laker games, and I think at a certain point it was as much about watching Kobe as it was to watch the Lakers. As I said in the other thread he was just different from other athletes somehow. The way he carried himself, the way he attacked on the court with no fear and in the end I also began to really appreciate how unique his voice actually was. There are a very select group of athletes that when they are on the court it just seemed like anything is possible. For the people who were in with Kobe you went all in and he made everyone feel emotional about sports. Even the people who hated him. The way he went out is just too damn sad. He seemed like he had so much more to give and it seemed like a certainty that he would be with us for a long time.

I need a break from basketball for a few days.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well said Bionic. I feel you it sounds like we are the same age and Kobe meant similar things to us. I think I need a break from basketball for a few days too. I was so hyped for the playoffs this year and now I'm feeling like that is all so trivial. I hope a break can bring my excitement back.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
A day later, and this still hasn't hit me yet

Sending my love for all of the families and friends of all of the victims

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Just so tragic. I'm reading there was heavy fog. Rides were supposed to be grounded. This just gets worse by the minute. RIP to all.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Can't recall if he had a regular seat he'd sit in at home games post-retirement, but man...they should just let that seat go unfilled.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
So it looks like due to fog the pilot lost track of where he was relative to the terrain, made a turn while flying too low and hit a mountain. Oof.
But a witness reported hearing the engine sputtering before the crash.

Did he hit something and then tried to make his way back but it was too late?

But if that report about Kobe's original pilot refusing to fly is true, then it's all on the pilot that said he could.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
But a witness reported hearing the engine sputtering before the crash.

Did he hit something and then tried to make his way back but it was too late?

But if that report about Kobe's original pilot refusing to fly is true, then it's all on the pilot that said he could.
Sputter heard may have been after it hit the mountain. But Yes I'm sure we'll get the final confirmation soon enough, but that's what it looks like. Pilot maybe biting off a little more than he could chew. Hopefully not secondary to any pressure from Kobe to fly when he didn't want to, but it's hard to say. The first pilot refusing to fly feels like it is a not insignificant part of this story. But we'll likely never know how those conversations (between Kobe and the pilots) went. I just hope he didn't put the pilot in a pressure situation to do something he didn't feel comfortable doing.