• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Someone said we will never hear his hall of fame speech.

I'm bawling my eyes out. The poor daughter and 7 other people onboard. God damn man

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Shocking and tragic. That poor poor family. Really horrible.

I was at a family event when it came up and someone was just like "Kobe Bryant is dead" and... I didn't believe it. Almost nothing had corroborated it at first too, and the tmz site was down with a lot of misinformation. It's not quit the same impact as Michael Jackson, where I really thought the world stood still basically, but it's as close to that as anybody dying suddenly that I can think of in quite some time.
Yeah I was never a fan of Kobe or sports in general, but I have a lot of empathy for people hurting right now. This is basically the MJ of the sports world. My mom left me a voicemail that I listened to during a break for my CPA exam prep class telling me MJ died. I had to sob in the bathroom before going back to class. Shit is awful.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
He's not wrong though. Shocking what happened to his daughter and the rest involved in the crash but he was a rapist.
Theres no reason for a female to lie about being sexually assaulted. It's a traumatic experience. Yall are in MMA threads saying Conor McGregor is 100% a rapist and there is 0 proof in that but this has gone through a trial and there was sufficient evidence and suddenly he isn't a rapist? Yeah you can't pick and choose. Cannot believe how many people are enabling rapists. Shocking.
Wow. The guy just suddenly requested an account closure.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Theres no reason for a female to lie about being sexually assaulted. It's a traumatic experience. Yall are in MMA threads saying Conor McGregor is 100% a rapist and there is 0 proof in that but this has gone through a trial and there was sufficient evidence and suddenly he isn't a rapist? Yeah you can't pick and choose. Cannot believe how many people are enabling rapists. Shocking.
You closed your account because you didn't want to read the staff post? SMFH

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Whether you think Kobe was a rapist or not, seeing a twitter post from some Z list douchebag comedian trying to get attention praising a helicopter crash that claimed the lives of at least 8 other people (some of them children) because he happened to be on board and thinking "you know he's got a point..." makes you a piece of shit
Facts.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
For some reason, it's has hit me harder than any celebrity death too. I haven't cried, but it has hit me harder than any.

I think it's because I started watching him when he was 17 and I was 15 or 16 - from beginning to end. It's rough to think about.

He was always such a constant in my life. I watched his whole career and I remember the SI of him coming into the NBA my dad telling me to watch for whoever gets Kobe. Since he came into the sport he made it better in every way for me. I was tore up when he retired too but this is obviously something else

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whether you think Kobe was a rapist or not, seeing a twitter post from some Z list douchebag comedian trying to get attention praising a helicopter crash that claimed the lives of at least 8 other people (some of them children) because he happened to be on board and thinking "you know he's got a point..." makes you a piece of shit
👆This.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still in total shock. Never really cry when a celeb dies but Kobe and Nipsey's death hit me pretty hard. My heart goes out to his wife and daughters. Rip to one of the GOATS.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Really sorry to hear about all the people that lost their lives in this tragedy :(.

There was never proof. Keep believing someone just because of their gender though.

This is gross. No matter how you feel about that particular situation or Kobe, smh.

It definitely blunts the feeling that the comedian is coming from a place of real compassion instead of just being a grade A jerk in order to receive attention.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Even if you don't like Kobe Bryant, no one is making anyone come in here and worship him. Just show some respect to his family during this tragic time, and his 13 year old daughter if nothing else. This makes me so sad to think that this child died so horribly. :(

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still thinking about this.It hit me really hard. He's Kobe you know, he was just always there. He wasn't even my fav nba player but I knew he was one of the best ever.

RIP again to all 9 victims.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Bill Simmons and Chris Ryan did a quick pod today about this horrible news. They touched on a point of why this is probably hitting so hard for most of us. We saw literally his entire career. From hearing about some Junior in high school to all the titles and olympics and his persistent relevance after retiring. I hated him, loved him, respected and feared him. RIP to one of the all time greats.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Christ this is so tragic. I've never been huge into basketball, but Kobe has alwauys been a constant in my life. As a kid I'd do the typical "KOBE" shout when doing silly things like throwing out garbage, or playing basketball with my friends. I think this is the first sports related death that's actually hit me rather hard. RIP to everyine in that crash :(

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Kobe's death hit me like hearing the news of Michael Jackson dying 9 years ago. He was too young to pass and didn't get to enjoy his golden years after giving it all to the sport of basketball, the lakers and lastly the city of LA.

RIP Kobe

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched Kobe all the way since day 1. That's why this hurts so much. I respected him as a player and as a father

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Man this just makes you realize any day someone can just be gone. Took for granted that Kobe would be around for decades.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
This one hurts bad. Like your childhood friend died. Grew up idolizing Kobe. Love how after his most fierce years he eventually learned how to express himself better. Learnt how to talk and smile, shared his knowledge and wisdom quite articulate and smart guy. He was quite a human being touched many people.

Post basketball he was a proud dad and had so much going for him in his prime of his life

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I always rooted against him, mostly because it was fun. If someone beat him, then it felt amazing, and if, more likely, Kobe came out on top, it looked amazing.

Kobe rode the edge of what is humanly possible, mentally and athletically. As a former competitive athlete, I was in awe of him all the time.

Gianna was 13, and that's the oldest she'll ever be. That's absolutely tragic. My thoughts and prayers truly are with those who passed and their families.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
This is just...weird. If that's the right word. Yesterday, people were talking about Kobe a lot because of LeBron on the verge of passing his record. Then this today. Damn.